Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not having played since 1.1 the biggest news no-one in this thread has mentioned is holy poo poo clowns don't destroy blocks anymore, it's safe to take your fancy houses into hardmode without fear or dungeon blocks.

I've still got 3 separate worlds though: normal, hardmode, expert (normal for now and seeded (literally) with hallow, corruption and crimson).

I've defeated Golem easily a few times to get the Picksaw but I tried Fishron and got completely stomped. Any tips for FIshron? Is there a certain type of arena I need to build or just get lucky and dope myself up on every potion imaginable? Is it worth trying to start the Lunar stuff first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I had the best luck stacking lots of +melee and hammering on him with Vampire Knives. Slow but sure.
My 'arena' was just a campfire, heart lantern and honey bath to keep my health up. I probably should have hauled over my heart statue machine too.

Make sure you have good wings though (steampunk is good).

(Note that I got annihilated in Chlorophyte armour the first time I tried. Beetle armor seemed to help a lot)

I got the Fire Feather when I was farming up a Magma Stone so I've been rocking the fire wings which are pretty similar to the Steampunk wings. I am still in Chlorphate armour but got a few sets of beetle bits from my Golem kills so might be worth making.

I think I'll try out the Lunar Cultist to kick all that off, if it's too hard for me right now I'll switch over to making more Expert progression instead or let my herb garden grow for a while - so many things to do!

e: Destroyed Stardust and Nebula pillars, I think this dragon wins the game for me now :stare:

e2: Yeah I think I might need better than Chlorphate armour for the Moon Lord too.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 12, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What do you guys use for your late game exploring accessories? I don't mean what do you use for expert Plantera but when you're just going for a quick trip to hell for some groceries.

Wings are a given, and I'm assuming most people have or want lava waders and frostspark boots, what about your other slot(s)?

I can't remember the exact name but I combined the sun and moon amulets into the Celestial one which gives an always on stat boost which seems nice. Means I can't use my yo yo bag though.

Last slot is obsidian shield.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 13, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Trying to get a Moon Charm chanced into the best possible circumstance:
Blood Moon, Full Moon, Expert Hardmode.

I ended up with 3 Werewolf Banners, 5 adhesive bandages, 2 fast clocks, a blindfold, trifold map, 1 plat, 20 gold and 4 amaroks for some extra cash.

No Moon Charm of course, you never get what you're after, I would have loved this if I hadn't finished my Ankh already. :v:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

President Ark posted:

I prefer the crimson because red is my favorite color.

What, you expected something motivated by mechanics? :fuckoff:

This game is a big dress up and dream home simulator, no shame in that.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I killed expert Fishron last night and got his mount, is it worth trying to get a UFO still or is this better?

I didn't mean to do him on expert but forgot what world I was on when I started building my arena.

I guess it's finally time to kill the Moon Lord and put the game down for another year.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Read posted:

You don't even need a big arena, just some honey suspended in bubble blocks to pass through and get the buff periodically.

Well I know what I"m going to try and build for Moon Lord now.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nebula Pillar was harder than Moon Lord now I have my Cute Fishron mount... I made a honey highway in the sky and was able to outrun literally every attack but his laser which still left plenty of time for regen between the honey buff and potions.

Didn't get a Terrarian, time to do that all again.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Matrim posted:

Bubble blocks can also suspend water/honey to make boost blocks: http://gfycat.com/IdioticUntimelyCommongonolek

Doesn't need to be a full block of liquid either, my moon lord highway was just a thin layer of honey.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

RatHat posted:

Ugh, I can't find a martian probe. I saw one early into hardmode but killed it. If I knew they were this rare I would've left it alive.

The two I found were up around sky islands, don't know if that's a better place to find them than just wandering around near your oceans.

I got excited and blew the first one to pieces before I realised it didn't drop the invasion item and you were meant to let it live instead :downs:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Between big games at the moment so decided to have a little relapse into Terraria, 1st couple of hours were frustrating but then I got my 1st grapple and double jump... I forgot how satisfying the progression is in this game once you get going, there's always something to work towards that's never too far away.

I've had the Gamepedia fail too but the Wikia seems to work fine.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I bought this for $9.99 USD back on 16/5/11 and feel like I've got decent value for money out of my 300+ hours.

Getting pretty hype to throw another 50 or so at trying to beat Master mode.
As Saxophone said - it would be neat if you could combine the Expert/Master special drops with a Journey Mode game to experience all the new stuff at once, don't know if I'll have the patience to wait for any mods that might do that though and feel like I'll just want to get set into it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Oh neat - I saw the difficulty slider in his Journey Mode video but wasn't paying enough attention to the slots... Well that's probably good enough for me then!

Awesome

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah wouldn't surprise me, they've put a lot of little tweaks and changes into this (on top of the more obvious additions like Journey & Master modes, Wind, Golf, etc.).

I just want it to be out already.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

All I want is the Desert Pylon, but I only have one NPC that likes it there.

I know the NPC's liking other NPCs is randomised (I think?) but is their preferred biome random too or pre-set.

Any idea on good desert dwellers?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

It doesn't seem to be, actually. E.g., wiki says:

So everything is preset.

Yeah I think I've got it sorted now :) - got Forest, Jungle, Desert, Ocean, Underground pylons going.

(Also NPC's preferred biome is in their Bestiary entry)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just can't get a meteor to land, I've done 2 Eater of Worlds with a big gap in between orbs and still can't get one to fall... Travelling merchant doesn't like me much either.

Otherwise I think I'm all lined up for the Wall of Flesh and to get serious.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not specifically but want it ticked off the pre-hardmode list in my head.

I am planning on going Magic this run but I think jungle armour's slightly better than meteor (if I'm not using Space Gun)?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've been sitting at 24x speed with no meteors... but I got enough travelling merchants and fishing quests done to finish my Cell Phone before hardmode at least, that's something.

Journey Mode options are so convenient.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Oh so that's why my cat kept leaving, I thought it was just being a cat doing cat things.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

If you're playing through Steam you can activate a universal FPS counter on the overlay (Steam -> Settings -> In-Game), it's pretty unobtrusive (grey text) and I normally leave it on in the top left.

Can't really comment on the rest sorry.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Someone should come up with a new thread title for 1.4.

Are cavern and universal pylons the only ones that work below the surface?

I've tried jungle and snow and they didn't seem to,currently trying to work out where to set up hallowed housing and don't have many options that won't reduce my mob spawn locations... Due to overlapping jungle my hallow generation got a bit screwed and I don't have a clentaninator yet only grass seed.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Huh, reading that wiki list of supposed effects would explain some things... That's some weird bullshit.

Don't suppose any of the world viewers can find and replace my thousands of torches with Ultrabright?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

For you other journey mode players,

Are you researching everything or only the things you intend to duplicate or need in the future?

I've been keeping my research pretty basic so far (metal bars, gems, pylons, wood, stars) but wonder if I should just fill it out and use the filters instead.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like most going for the full research then but at least I'm not alone :)

Trying to work on building out my potion research, but need to grow more herbs first to make more potions, and at that point not sure if I should just research the lot of it.

It did give me a reason to update my forest base with a secret underground grow room.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Herb bags was my original intent but I only ever found one in, my world and was too lazy to search in another one.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Punishing wrong torch could still be ok... If the default torch was, neutral at least, that's the big error in how, it was set up

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

All of your neat little towns make me feel bad, at least I used more than one material type this time around and tried to theme each set of houses to it's pylon at least. Maybe i can go all in on my Hallowed outpost.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I've turned down the difficulty and maxed the spawns and it's great fun. With the added bonus bonus of my town filling with critters.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I didn't know the Alt click to favourite thing until I was watching some videos before the 1.4 launch and put it together in my head that that was a base feature and not a mod :)

Makes it easier to mark the important items to save before you just dump out your whole inventory/accidentally trash everything instead of transferring it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

codo27 posted:

My dad's a fisherman. His dad was. I grew up by the water and still live here, grew up catching fish off the wharf.

gently caress fishing in video games. I will never have time for that poo poo

I'm very glad Terraria doesn't need you to click the bobber just click after the sound.

I'm trying to get my Magic Conch from oasis crates but haven't had much luck.

Fishing related: Gave Dreadnautilus a go, pretty neat fight, disappointing lack of rewards but still happy he exists.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm making a new arena and trying to think of the new buffs for it,

Campfire
Heart Lantern
Star Lantern
Sunflower
Bast Statue
Garden Gnome (+luck?)

Is that about it for placeable buff items or am I missing anything important?

I know you can power heart/star statues but too lazy for that, and also can't be bothered with honey buff (I've done bubbles and honey for Expert Moon Lord before but this is more of a fixed arena)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Your sharpening station or equivalent for your weapon

Your mount, if riding one would help you maneuver

I haven't found any sharpening stones this run :(

Which is fine coz I'm trying to stick to magic, normally I only use magic for things like Destroyer assuming I don't have a stormbow/good piercing ammo, but this time I'm doing it to the end.

Good point though, I may as well chuck a witching table and crystal orb out there to click.

vvv I think it counts as the same Cozy buff yeah.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 25, 2020

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Alright, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a skellington.

Is it okay to build with corrupted materials or will that spread corruption?

The raw stone and sand will but bricks shouldn't spread it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Don't keep your main base in the sky or you'll regret it in hard mode. Sky is considered it's own biome for fishing quest purposes. I don't know how it affects NPC living preferences.

Having enough NPCs up there should suppress wyvern spawns.

My first expert hard mode world I made a, base on a sky lake to escape the clowns 🤡.

Took out Expert Moon Lord last night, don't think I'm going to push myself for Master but I did spend 1.5hr farming him to drop both swords for Zenith - this thing is ridiculous in the best way.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Truffle + Dryad worked for me.

Truffle will be the one selling it you just need to get him Happy enough, make the rooms a bit bigger etc. for that extra boost?

vvv If you're being cheesy like me you can research that special one on the Puttrarria golf map which you should definitely try either way. I think I only hit ~75-80% completion on my Bestiary.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 29, 2020

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

If your merchant's selling pinwheels and slimes are ballooning in, it's Windy.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Clear out any spider walls in your hellevators or you'll get respawning webs getting in the way, other than that I don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah Master will give you a extra accessory slot that's inactive on lower difficulties but will still show up if you left something in it.

Expert and Master also get an extra slot after you've done Wall of Flesh - same deal becomes inactive on lower difficulty settings /maps.