Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SirDan3k posted:

Apparently a lot of people thought "if you leave the ocean" meant the actual ocean and that you had to do the fight while swimming.

Even if that was the case minecarts and merman work just fine underwater. :getin:

I Said No posted:

That depends on whether or not TF2's coding stores all the items in the game in a single nested if-else chain. All 3000+ of them.

That's terrifyingly impressive in that it exists and the game still manages to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Qylvaran posted:

I went melee right up to Moon Lord and had little trouble. Then I picked up a Last Prism and a Nebula armor set and never looked back. It's too bad you basically need to beat the game before you can get that combination, but at least I can be the vengeful god of my expert mode world and also tear pumpkin and frost moons to pieces without any setup. Also, the patch notes claimed that Razorblade Typhoon was nerfed, but it's actually better in every way now than it was before 1.3.

The only things I really have left to do in the game are beat expert Golem, Fishron, and Moon Lord, and finish building a base worth showing off.

How do you use last prism, manaflower and hundreds of mana pots so you can fire for a few seconds to melt bosses?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

couldn't you theoretically make new worlds until you get a Water Bolt above 0' from the dungeon?

In the multiplayer game I finished recently one of the players found a water bolt spellbook right up at the entrance to the dungeon so it's definitely possible.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The Wand of Sparking is so terrible it should be craftable or just part of your starting equipment. It's probably better than a copper shortsword but pretty much every other weapon in the game outclasses it.

It's still better than the slime staff with its near-zero drop rate and borderline useless minion.

Make the slime staff take a few (dozen?) gel, some wood, and maybe a gem. It'd still be terrible and pointless but you'd actually have the option to get and use it. Though really anyone who wants to be a summon just needs to do the following:
1. Make finish gear
2. Go to Ocean
3. Fish until you get a reaver shark
4. Dig hellavator
5. Make trips to hell until you have enough hellstone to make an imp staff
6. Continue playing game, prioritize a queen bee kill
7. Once queen bee is dead, make the bee armor
8. Run around killing poo poo with your 4 imp minions
9. Make other gear because imps will take forever to kill the WoF

Summon damage ranges from :geno: to :mediocre: for pretty much the entire game. Space Dragon is good but still functionally useless for Moon Lord because if you're within range for your dragon to attack him you're going to be eating hits from the boss constantly, and you don't have the defense to survive very long.

Magic is still good once you get a real spell of some king. Demon Scythe is amazing but you can farm forever to get it, while any magic user character should immediately head to crimson to farm and make the golden shower spell before doing anything else. Get that spell and make sure to kill nimbus enemies when it's raining because a nimbus wand and golden shower will provide you with a lot of damage early in hardmode.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

chlorophyte cant convert dirt back to mud fast enough until you kill Plantera

basically as long as you don't dally around and get to killing Plantera, the infections aren't a problem. Still with the DCU, containing them perfectly takes all of 5 minutes

Doesn't breaking altars still spawn random patches of hallow/crimson/corruption too?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VineST posted:

i'm sure if you teleport the witch doctor to the jungle he'll sell jungle stuff. doesn't have to actually live there. same with steampunker for solutions and such

Just put him in a corner room in your base and put some mud nearby with jungle grass seed. When you walk over to him you'll be in a jungle biome. Do the same for the shroom dude. My last game's base was small enough to fit on my screen (1920x1200) and the leftside had mushroom biome while the right was jungle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Pre-Mechanical mages don't exactly have the dps and armor to go full on spell-casting. I tried that coming in and couldn't get past 50-60% of the destroyer's health.

Switching to Daedalus + support spells like Nimbus allowed me to beat all three in a single night in a row.

But some people prefer the challenge I guess.

Use the Golden Shower and a Nimbus Rod against the destroyer. Make a Manaflower and grab a stack of 50 mana potions if necessary. The destroyer can be murdered hard with the golden shower.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Plantera is annoying as hell. Guess I should just dig a really long tunnel?

Or teleporters, or a minecart track going in a circle in your arena.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Baron posted:

After a few hours of preparation, and building up supplies, I finally decided to try and venture forth into hardmode for the first time.

Why yes, that new swath of Crimson is going directly into my base... :negative:

This is why all my bases tend to be up in the air. Ideally in a valley so they can be out of ground biomes without causing harpies and wyverns to show up every time I step outside. Though I have a DCU now so really if I want to carve out a canyon it's not an issue. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

The one accessory I hope they add to 1.3.1 is the Ankh Shield of Cthulhu.

Paladin's Celestial Ankh Shield of Cthulhu

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Get some traps from the temple, put them near the entrance of your base, then wire them up to a pressure plate and maybe a timer. If you want you can even actuate them so they won't block your path.

Can the temple no longer spawn flamethrower traps or did I simply manage to make a world without any?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Vortex Beater and chlorophyte bullets with a UFO mount or skyrail will make everything much easier for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh cool, more re-purposed Minecraft toys. :laugh: