Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I think I last played this game back when there was no hard mode or whatever the hell that stuff they added is. Back then I remember I spent most of my time exploring caves and poo poo looking for loot. What I'm wondering is if any of these updates added more stuff to do that doesn't involve walking into a cave and getting murdered. I like that stuff but I'm home for summer and looking for games to play with my little brother. He's absolutely terrible at games like this though and would no doubt die over and over in the caves, so I'm wondering if there's anything he could do that doesn't involve a bunch of combat but would still feel like contributing to our mutual survival.

EDIT: Other than building a crappy house for the NPCs, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

It's just bigger numbers delivered faster. People just threw themselves at him until he died, with one of them being invincible. It was like watching a Lemmings death march.

From the standpoint of someone who just sat and watched, I'm not sure how that could qualify as fun for most people unless they like seeing the HP whittled down bit by bit.

A lot of MMO bosses seem to be built around the idea that people enjoy this :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Two questions; how do NPCs work in regards to multiplayer? I'm planning on running a game over steam for my brother and I too play. I wanna know if we both get our own set of NPCs to work with or its just one per world.

Second, is there an easy way to transport huge amounts of liquid in this game? I never tried before but for my ~vanity housing~ I had an idea that involves a moat. It occurred to me that I've literally never transported any liquid though, so I have no clue how it works.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ropes are really cool. Though I'm disappointed you move so slowly when crossing them horizontally. I was hoping you could make a base where you zipline between your houses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All of you guys who make NPCs live in tiny identical rooms are terrible :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You're a monster. The Dryad is going to freeze to death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I assume if I've hit silt I dug too deep at the start of the game? I ran into a pack of antlion chargers, which I'd never seen before. They completely obliterated me cause there was no way my lovely copper sword was gonna do jack to them.

I'm not sure what gear to be aiming for anymore. Right now I'm just trying to scrounge up enough tungsten for a set while looking for gold to complete a pickaxe.

EDIT: Is tin ore even worth digging up? I keep mistaking it for iron and its annoying me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 5, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sjonnar posted:

Naw, silt is just a whatever block. You can run it through an extractor to get gems and poo poo. If you ran into antlion chargers, you've gotten into the big antlion pit under the middle of the desert. Tin ore is maybe worth digging up. It makes some cool looking riveted metal plating if you like that sort of thing. Up to you. As to what gear to aim for, what gear do you have and what role are you wanting to play? (Fighter, Ranger, Mage, Summoner)

My gear currently consists of basically nothing. I have some crappy metal armour and a tungsteen shortsword, that's it. I've been looking for gold to finish a new pickaxe since from memory you need it to break certain blocks. I found a bunch of tungsteen though so I was gonna make a suit out of that and then...I dunno. Keep looking for gold and hope a medusa doesn't come out of nowhere and chain stun me again. Seriously what the gently caress I was just minding my own business and suddenly this snake lady falls from above and turns me into a rock over and over.

I have no idea what my preferred playstyle would be. Petty sure it would be magic since I like ranged attacks but gently caress managing ammo. From memory you don't get any spells until the duneon though so I'm just using what I can.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

King Doom posted:

I gotta say, the best thing about 1.3 is the screenshot utility. Don't have to spend hour nailing individual screenshots together now.

So when are you gonna replace all that grey brick with tin plating so its a proper battleship?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

No Safe Word posted:

Pffft, it's fun to do mediumcore on expert but it helps to have friends for a while so if you die the option of wormhole potioning to your friend when you revive is an option. After a while it's easy enough to run in and grab your stuff and mirror home when you die later.

But be prepared to go very slowly, it's really tough.

What's the point of playing with that option if you're just gonna work around it though? I like death carrying the penalty of dropping cash since I feel bad dieing but its not tedious as hell trying to get all my gear back.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I keep being amazed by how much cool poo poo has been added to this game completely for free since I last played. I just found out about paint and I'm amazed. I thought I would have to tear up every crappy grey brick my house is made out of to make it not boring, but instead I can just paint them! There's so many options for decorating and building in this game, its great.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The weird thing is despite my world being dominated by tungsten, I found a tiny vein of silver near my spawn area. Do the alternate ores spawn in small amounts or was this some world generation glitch?

VVV It was literally right at the start and I remember mining it up. Haven't done any sifting stuff.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 6, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played some more today with my brother. Right when I started to build more of my base, it started raining slimes. Annoying, weird, but not really a big deal...until king slime fell out of the sky which I was not expecting. My brother went crazy because he didn't even know bosses were in the game. He also got squashed into a fine paste because his gear is still garbage, which is fine by me since it meant I got first dibs on the loot. Super excited to get the slime hook since I thought I would have to wait all the way until the jungle to get a triple hook.

On base chat; you guys who say you're terrible at building pretty bases? I want one of you to take that theme and run with it. Make your base a hideous, ugly pile of junk. All sorts of blocks mashed together into massive heaps. Literal trash prisons the NPCs are forced to live inside. Decorations clashing together in hideous and nonsensical ways. Make a base so hideous that it wraps around into being beautiful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think medusas might be one of the most poorly designed enemies I've ever seen in a game. Am I gonna have to wall off every marble cave like its a loving quarantine zone?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone explain to me how NPCs interact with stairs? I can't figure out why they won't use this staircase properly;

They just walk up to the middle and than fall off. I have no clue why. If they're gonna be this finicky about a perfectly functional set of stairs then maybe I should just shove them into prison cubes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Akett posted:

I think there was something in the changelog about NPCs not being able to go up or down stairs anymore so they can't get stuck outside their rooms. Which is rather silly.

So what, its impossible for me to have NPCs travel between floors with that layout? That sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to go pure melee always seemed like a losing proposition to me in this game. It always made more sense to use some ranged weapon with melee as a back up.

Anyways I'm super sad that apparently NPCs refuse to walk some distance from their house so I have no clue what to do with my NPC housing. Originally I was gonna give them themed rooms in a nice tower hotel but what's the point when they stay trapped on their floor forever? I mean now they can actually defend themselves so who cares if they wander around.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 7, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are summoners actually good? There was zero summoning stuff in the game before I played. They seem like a really weird class for a game like this. Something that would be extremely tedious to use against normal enemies while exploring with most summons at least. Then horribly broken once you get the top tier gear and don't have to do anything while your space dragon eats everything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That was my little brothers first thought upon realizing he left gravestones. He may have given up though when he realized just how much he's going to die because he's bad/EXTREMELY unlucky. We've both been spelunking separately and I have found enough health crystals to reach 260. He's still at 100.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

My "advice" ended up backfiring on me because instead of killing the nymph my brother let it run into a bit and despawn. This the second time I've run into a nymph and had it despawn for I could do anything, though I suppose I only have myself to blame.

People weren't kidding about how good fishing is. Just fish with enchanted nightcrawlers and you can easily get the rockfish and reaver shark, both of which are wayyyyy better than the picks and hammers I'd normally be using at this point in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LegoMan posted:

Because there's a platform they bump their head on. Try it yourself. Hold up and the direction of the stairs, if there's a platform you'll fall off.

Son a bitch, this is true. Well partly at least, I tried moving the way you described and went up the stairs just fine. However I tried removing the platforms I had set up as floors anyways and the merchant kindly demonstrated how wrong I was by waltzing up two sets of stairs to the top floor. So I guess the most common sense way of setting up a multi level staircase doesn't work for NPCs because of this nonsense. I can't think of a good alternative though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 8, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think this layout actually works;

NPCs can cross to both sides on the stairs. Sometimes they fall through the stairs but if they decide to hop instead, which they consistently did, then they can go across levels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do jungle spores only appear at a certain depth or something? I'm trying to find some but can't find any even though I entered the jungle from the caverns. I remember them being all over the place in old versions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanted to try expert mode but I'm worried it makes the bosses a complete pain in the rear end to deal with. That's always been my problem with this game. Once you get past the really early game, regular enemies are by and large a non issue. Even in the supposedly dangerous areas I never feel threatened much. If enemies just did more damage then I might have to be worried about dieing, but the bosses have enough damage and health already so I don't want to make them even worse.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got a medusa head from those stupid things hitting me while I fish. I have no idea if its even worth using but it'll make a nice trophy at least. loving medusas are the worst.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supremezero posted:

It's actually pretty amazing Pre-hardmode. Gigantic AoE. As in, pretty much screen-wide.

The AOE didn't seem THAT big (this might just be because I'm playing at a high resolution though), but its definitely powerful when a bunch of enemies are clustered up. I took it against cthulu's brain and it vaporized the creepers right away, trivializing the whole fight. I'm still using my meteor laser for stuff far away but its definitely a cool weapon. Too bad its a rare drop from one of the most obnoxious enemies in the entire game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kinetica posted:

gently caress boulders forever

I'm not even mad when a boulder squishes me. Its too drat funny.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Potential BFF posted:

Here's last night's little project

You should set up a king statue to ritualistically summon NPCs for blood sacrifice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How come when I break glowing mushrooms with my regrowth rod it doesn't give me shrooms/seeds? I thought it was supposed to increase your yield but instead it eliminates it entirely.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I actually lucked into 3 strange plants. Dye trader gave me reflective silver, reflective, and then reflective again.

gently caress that guy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How come when I set up a pressure plate to a tall gate it will only trigger if I walk onto it from the right? I just wanted to set up the gate to open and close as I enter/exit my house but the door never closes when I leave.

VVV I hear the click of me hitting the switch, it just doesn't do anything unless I'm coming from the right. I don't get it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Feels like my brother and I are getting all the absurdly rare drops. So far we've gotten;

-a slime staff
-binoculars
-zeyphr fish pet
-4 strange plants
-money trough

This is all without any grinding to get specific items either. Maybe some of this stuff isn't as rare as the wiki makes it out to be.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright I'm a big idiot so someone explain to me why this doesn't work properly.

I just wanted to set up some pressure plates so that the gate would open and close as I leave. Seems like a simple wiring project that a child could handle but I guess not. The gate opens just fine, but it doesn't close when I cross over the pressure plate on the inside. It does however close in my face when I cross back over it. If I set it up only with one pressure plate on the outside its a similar problem; it opens but doesn't close when I cross back over it. So when I try to enter again later it just shuts in my face because the door was still open.

I don't get why this happens. I mean why do the pressure plates just decide to not work when crossed from a certain direction?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anything else that carries the night vision effect in the helmet slot? Cause I'm too used to having it on now even though that helmet has been horribly outclassed. I put on real armour for bosses though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think a small amount of ebonstone is gonna do anything other than potentially mess with NPC housing if they are close to it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What weapon should I put in the middle of this treasure room? It need to be sufficiently gaudy but I can't think of anything good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are numerous spider nests even in a small world. She's not *always* around but she usually is; keep looking around and you'll find her. She's available right from the beginning of the game (making her and the Angler I believe technically the first two NPCs other than the guide that you can obtain in a new game, although practically a new character can't survive a spider nest.)

She can also spawn inside a spider biome you've visited before even if she wasn't there the first time. I was digging a hell shaft that went past a spider cave I had already cleared and she was just sitting there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gobblecoque posted:

gently caress I'm just gonna backup my stuff real quick because apparently every page has someone lose their world.

Where are the save files stored? I wanted to back mine up but couldn't figure out where to files were because I'm stupid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I spent a bunch of time making this alchemy lab only to realize I have barely any seeds so its just going to be clogged with useless flowers :v:

Oh and on the subject of the party girl, you definitely don't need 14 NPCs for her to spawn. I haven't started hardmode yet so its impossible for me too have that many but the party girl showed up anyways.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dumb and can't count NPCs properly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 11, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Akett posted:

I wouldn't say it's completely useless. If you want a lot of building materials for a huge rear end base you can use the thing to gather them. I imagine the thing would be really good for getting lots of chlorophyte. You could also likely use it to rapidly deconstruct a base you want to move.

What is their left to do after you've beaten up the moon lord though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All I need is a metal detector to complete a cell phone. I've had 2 nymphs refuse to drop it and 5 more despawn before I could find them. This is awful.