Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is it possible to self host a terraria server if it's just 1-3 people going to be on the server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If I haven't played terraria seriously since 1.1 would starting out on expert mode be a bad idea?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Akoogly Eyes posted:

After my third strange plant, the dye trader gave me some "Living Rainbow" dye that makes me shift in all the colours of the rainbow. I can also use it on my mount.

I think I just won Terraria. Only bad thing is, I just got three dyes so I can't use it on my armor, mount and light pet all at once.

Expert mode is brutally difficult. If you're not willing to build huge, well prepared arenas for bosses and learn to dodge them like Neo, you'll have a bad time. I recommend you just do normal mode.

What all am I missing out on not doing expert mode?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why does my FPS randomly drop to 40 then shoot back to 60?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the easiest to get light source that follows you around? Placing torches sucks. And is there any getting started guide video?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I have more then 50 silver in my inventory. Do I have to have a real house built for the merchant to show up?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
There was a dude who beat the moon lord on expert hard mode hardcore. Let that sink in. Took him 8 worlds I think.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the minimum gear I need to kill the skeletron guarding the dungeon? Having a hard time figuring out how to progress. I have iron armor and iron sword and gold pick axe. Do I just need to go deep and get the best ore I can?

Also how hosed am I being on a large world solo? My friends I thought who were going to play with me aren't.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Any chance cell phone version will be updated to 1.3?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LightningSquid posted:

Why do I insist on making big bases before I start hardmode? :smithicide:

How do you talk to your npcs and did you have to lure them there or is there an item that let's you pick them up and place them?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

I don't understand how anyone could play this game on a server with random goons. Just gonna join up on a fresh character and welp, world's already in hard mode and there are chests full of endgame gear. Grab those outta there and game over, roll credits I guess.

Pretty much this. Oh I stopped playing for a day? Wow where did this chest full of moonlord gear come from?!!?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nevermind, item frames will do it

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

You can also use statues, which is what I've always done. Gives them a use and I find that they're easier to recognize at a glance than frames due to their larger size.

Wouldn't that take up more room being the statue needs its own spot? And can you put items on top of a statue?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Krittick posted:

Generally I do the following for a basic chest storage system when I make a new world/character, and expand from there as needed:

• 1 for low-tier ores
  • 1 for low-tier bars
  • 1 for Gems & Gemspark Blocks
  • 5+ for Basic Tiles: Stone, Mud, Dirt, Clay, basically anything you end up having thousands of due to mining.
  • 2 for Basic Furniture: Anything made with low tier materials. Doors, candles, etc.
  • 1 for building-aid tools: Eg. Various wood/leaf wands, range extender accessories, building potions.
  • 1 for boss summoning items
  • 1-2 for low-tier pickaxes/axes/hammers
  • 2 for low-tier accessories
  • 1 for vanity items
  • 1 for pets/mounts
  • 1 for melee weapons
  • 1 for ranged weapons
  • 1 for magic/summon weapons
  • 1 for ammo
  • 1-2 for quickly storing unsorted low-tier armor until I get around to making a mannequin hall for them all
  • 1 for wiring-related things
  • 5 for potions
  • 1 for seeds
  • 1 for flowers
  • 1 for dye plants
  • 1 for dye
  • 3 for fishing-related gear and fish. I also usually put my sonar/fishing/crate potions here instead of the main potion storage. These chests are usually separate from the rest and located in the Angler's home.
  • 1-2 for misc materials that I can never find a good organization system for (silk, cobwebs, coral, rotten chunks, vertebrae, etc)

And then a second copy of most of those chests for Hardmode. It varies a bit each time, but that basic setup keeps my inventory clean for the most part. It's even more convenient with the quick stack feature now.

I am really bad at trashing things I should otherwise keep to sell and I rarely ever store duplicates of an non-stackable item, but still have problems without tons of chests. :(

Edit: I'm also not nearly as organized as the above list when I actually make my storage room. It tends to have an awful layout and no organization other than each chest being organized.

Is it really necessary to sort out everything obtained after hard mode versus pre-hardmode? Isn't there some cross over?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Det_no posted:

It can be frustrating and if you haven't played the game before you'll probably end up spending a lot of time trying to come up with strategies that might or might nor work. Chances are good you'll also have to resort to guides just to see what kind of potions and things like that you can craft/farm for just so you can gear up for the big fights.

If you are ok with that, go ahead. If it sounds a bit tedious, you can find solace in the fact that most expert mode gear is not reaaaally mindblowingly good anyway (the increased drop rate is nice though.)

So there's no reason to go through on expert when you have defeated everything in normal on hardmode?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Got this game as a gift. Played for 10 minutes, got bored, didn't understand anything. Quit

Whats the best guide to break into the game?

Explore, kill stuff, build stuff. If you don't like sandbox games with character progression done via items this game might not be for you.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
IS there an item that tells me what biome I am in? When underground it can be kind of hard to know which biome you are in.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This game has a hundred times better progression than Minecraft does. You should definitely be using the wiki though just because its so much easier than relying on the ingame sources of information. Suffice too say, your current goals should be spelunking in the caves too find new gear and make armour in addition too constructing houses for the various NPCs to move into.

This!!^ Vanilla minecraft is poo poo but I got heavily into modded and this game makes me have the same feeling. Play for 4 hours straight and you're like. Where the gently caress did the time go.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jastiger posted:

So now i can build houses for NPCs? Go on..

I just know I started in an area that had the helper NPC, but it was a really inconvenient spot. I couldn't build anything and it would have taken FOREVER to level it out and get things settled. Was a turn off, vs Minecraft you can more or less get everything set up regardless of starting position.

Except in minecraft you have to go make 50 picks and shovels and axes to replace the ones that break.

If your world start spot sucks make a new one. You can take your dude to different worlds.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

Modded Minecraft feels VERY different than Terraria to me, because it's about building complex equipment and automation facilities, even magic oriented mods like Botania and Witchery are about learning complex crafting processes and figuring out how to gain vast amounts of energy. Though I never tried to hard at the combat, you do not really have the robust system of stats and such. The best mods cannot change that the engine is not suited for combat.

Terraria's crafting never gets more complicated than selecting a recipe off a list. There's no modification, timers, or catalysts, just have the thing and walk next to the thing. Meanwhile much of the combat can be accomplished without gaming the system and there is so much variety in enemies, invasions, and bosses.

Bad choice of words. I meant the addiction to play. :shobon:

Jastiger posted:

Madness.

I was just overwhelmed with all of the stuff. I dug down and couldn't see anything so I just jumped back out. Then I died to some monsters and got mad lol.

Building seems really tedious using the mouse and it doesn't seem to click every time I hold the button down. Its hard to judge where the item is going to be placed coming in as a new person. I'll give it another shot later on.

There's items you can buy later on that make building better and minecraft should straight up steal. I'm looking at you ruler that counts blocks.

When you go mining use the ctrl modifier for quicker digging in the direction you want to go.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

Took down Moon Lord last night, and while this portal gun is cool, I feel like the only way I'd get substantial use out of it is if it dropped out of the very first chest in the game before acquiring any grappling hooks, multiple jumps, flying mounts, wings, teleporters, or rods of discord. Seems like a waste to have it so incredibly late. Maybe if Terraria gets another major update at some point, I'll just inventory edit the thing in at the beginning of the playthrough.

Does it work like the mod in minecraft? Left click one portal color right click another? If so put a portal in your base and then go mining or whatever and then portal out. Unload your crap and then jump back to where you came from.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I am using a yelets yoyo with no yoyo bag as I have yet to still find the skeleton vendor and a 73dps blade tounge with hallowed armor. My friend is using mini shark gun with hollowed armor. We(mostly my friend) killed the mechanical skeletron. What are my options for a better weapon pre plantera and just post her pre next boss?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the easiest way to get these biome keys post hard mode? Build a crimson/jungle biome and battle potion it up? How many blocks do I need to make an area a biome?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anyone else getting random crashes and then steam freezes?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Will this work to farm crimson/frozen/jungle keys post hard mode? The top left is crimson ice, the top right is mud and the bottom right is ice.

Edit: got a frozen key, not sure if crimson drops though anyone care to comment?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 27, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If I equip full stardust armor summon the dragon to full then take off the armor will he stay huge?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Dear Moonlord,

Please stop dropping your staff and drop starfury or the yoyo.

Love your biggest fan!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I actually really liked the plantera throw hammer that locks onto enemies. It got me to moon Lord.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

So are there any inventory editors for the current version that I could download? I'm going to be away from Internet connections for the next couple weeks, and would like to have some way of adding building materials to my character.

What does the internet have to do with that?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

My go to cheese strategy is building a nurse house near my boss arenas and teleporting to it mid fight. Works on pretty much everything except the golem or the corruption/crimson bosses, but they're easy so whatever.

How else will you kill skeletron and beyond in master mode.

Also I have spent 4 hours building a giant 9 planter level symmetrical room with gem glass blocks in my master mode play through. Send help. I've redone the wall windows three times now because I keep discovering more poo poo I can do with paints and wiring. Slowly realizing I should hold off until l get further in but going into hard mode in master mode without a somewhat organized base will be awful.

Here is the spot almost done I think. I was trying to go for Boston Celtics colors because I don't know what good colors are. I will probably do more sports teams color schemes for other buildings. It's awful but the best I can do. That top right mini house will be destroyed, it was just there for me to get the forest pylon.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 9, 2020

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I will wait for that update to happen before I do my Calamity playthrough, then. Or maybe Thorium. One or the other.

Also, I suddenly have a bounty of summoning weapons after being kinda starved and I don't know which to use. I've got a tiger staff, a deadly sphere and a raven staff and I'm leaning towards using the tiger for bosses and the ravens for wave-based events.

Most stuff from 1.4 has been back ported via mods fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
168 new posts did tloader finally update??