Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I was killing random surface corruption monsters for rotten chunks to summon the Destroyer because I somehow lost all the ones I had from normal, and I got not one, but TWO corruption keys :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Xavier434 posted:

Is there criteria for when those keys can start dropping? Hardmode? Certain bosses being killed? etc?

I think they can drop at any time once hardmode has started but plantera needs to be dead before you can use them, which makes looting a fresh world a lot more of a chore. You'd need to bring in one of each of the mech boss summons, tunnel straight to hell, kill WoF (should be trivial with a megashark + ichor bullets), kill all 3 mech bosses (which will probably require some sort of basic arena if you are at the gear level where the key weapons are helpful) and then go find the dungeon and kill skeletron and then find the chest in the dungeon while also fighting against the hardmode dungeon enemies.

Before the patch you could farm plantera for temple keys, make the key from the mold, and then just go to a new world, march straight for the dungeon, kill skeletron, waltz through the normal dungeon enemies, loot your poo poo, and delete the world.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Wow a flurry of activity in this thread, there must be some serious patch news... wait, no it's a bunch of new people starting off :3:

Best tip for newbies: lots and lots of sticky bombs (gel + bomb)

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
That's why you use sticky bombs or dynamite, no "where it stops nobody knows" involved!

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I haven't played in a while but I think you can go to the map and there's a tool you can use to save a large image by drawing a box around it.

You can also use this to find Plantera bulbs :mmmhmm:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I like making my NPCs themed rooms with appropriate furniture. The dryad had a cactus house, the demolitionist got a dank basement looking room with a bunch of kegs and other bar furniture, and the party girl got a disco room with a couple of weird wire loops and 1 second timers flashing the gemspark blocks and walls :pcgaming:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

This is like one of those things where you read the first letter of every line and it spells out 'HILLARY GIVE US THE TRUTH ABOUT BENGHAZI" or something

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
As an addition to above, you can actually lose your spawn point if crimson/corruption gets too close, because it will make it no longer be valid housing. This will reset it to the middle of the map.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I've been playing a new character lately just messing around with a friend in a small world. I typically played melee but now I'm a ranged dude with shroomite armor, a megashark, and a daedallus stormbow. The reaper costume dropped for me so now I just need the shotgun from the dungeon and I can go full

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Smash pots and loot chests for bombs. make sticky bombs with gel because they are 100% better. Or you can fish up bombfish which work exactly like sticky bombs. This lets you basically sequence break the first few hours of the game if you can get a good weapon from a shadow orb or crimson heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Re-enact the ending of My Girl and murder his rear end with beenades