Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

poxin posted:

Spun up a dedicated server. Details in Private Game Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728802

Aren't you the guy that hosed over the other server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

All in all, a good day.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Just got a bottomless bucket from the angler as a quest reward. Very helpful for artificially making places to fish, and also for flooding your friend's house.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Ugh, the Angler quest part of making the PDA is hell. I've still got two of the three drops to go and he just won't give them out! It wouldn't be so bad if you could have more than one quest a day...

It's a huge drag but if you get lucky with your crates you can get an enchanted sundial, which lets you skip forward a day instantly!*
*with a seven day recharge time

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Did my first pirate invasion got a coin gun drop seminars pretty rare is it actually worth using?

What?
Also yes the coin gun is strong but remember you're literally shooting your money at them, so don't use it unless you're loaded.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Do strange plants grow in space?
I'm trying the dirt skybridge thing but the only place high enough is space and nothing seems to be growing. Is it just that rare?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I Said No posted:

If only the terraria animated series had suffered the same fate.

Sorry, the what now?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Pixel graphics are faster to make meaning it's much easier to add content.

In part this is true, but there are pros and cons to both approaches that should be taken into account. Here's my take as someone with an interest in both.

Pixel Art Assets:
+Faster and easier to make on a basic level, less of a graphical startup cost basically
+Can generally be left at a "good enough" state without alienating players thanks to the lowered expectations of quality associated with pixel art (unfortunate, but true)
+Easier to play the "Style/Programmer Art" card without raising eyebrows
+Less taxing on your graphics card, so more users can play it on more devices
-Actually good, professional-level pixel art is a LOT harder to make than people think, and the pool of artists at that level of talent is much smaller than the pool for 3D graphics
-Everything has to be animated by hand unless you want ugly paper doll animations, and you'll need a separate sprite sheet for every piece of equipment you have if you want them to show up on your character
-It's harder to change things down the line after you're already rolling. Say your artist proposes a significant change to your player character, this also means changing every one of the aforementioned equipment sprite sheets
-Because of the nature of the pixels that make up your art, you have to pay more attention to the resolution your game runs in and the resolutions of the devices your players will be playing on, at least if you don't want squashed pixels (please)

3D Assets:
+Modular, and MUCH easier to make sweeping changes on than pixel art. Need to make some small tweaks to the player model? Need to make those pauldrons a little fancier? No problem
+Scalable, and can be freely resized without looking weird. This also means that resolution isn't as much of a problem because 3D assets can be scaled infinitely in either direction
+Improved capacity for graphical flourishes. Highly detailed things like fancy patterns on cloth or engravings on a sword that would otherwise be busy or muddy in pixel art show up cleaner and crisper in 3D
+You only ever have to make something once, and this is a big one. Being able to make a model or an animation and then apply that to the player AND all their equipment is a huge timesaver
-The graphical startup cost is quite a bit higher for 3D than Pixel art. You have to make the model, unwrap the model, rig, skin, and texture the model, and that's a lot of work compared to opening Paint
-As the polygon count goes up, so does the load on your GPU, meaning your player base gets a bit narrower comparatively. Take another hit if you want post-processing effects
-3D programs and their interfaces take a bit of getting used to and they're all different from each other, meaning you have to come to grips with each and every one you're planning to use
-More expensive/harder to penetrate for small teams or hobbyists

...which is basically a lot of words to say that, for the most part, you're right :v:
Pixel art is good if you just need to get something fast and don't care too much about the future.
3D art requires some more work and time to start up, but can pay off big once you get off the ground.
Pixel Art is the 50m dash and 3D is the marathon, basically.

I don't know why I made this post

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 14, 2018

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Terraria 2 is called starbound.

noooooooooo

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Youd have a better experience playing starbound

I'm sorry sir, but this is a no creaping zone. I'm going to have to ask that you please creap elsewhere.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

drat that's useful. I wonder if the chest was empty or if it also keeps the contents?

And, uh, did hair always animate?

e: A grass tile jiggles when he walks past it! That's pretty neat.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 16, 2018

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

A little while ago I rented a server to try and get some friends into this game, but they completely bounced off it the first day (something I SHOULD have anticipated) and I already paid so I'm stuck with an empty server for a couple of months. I'm putting it up here just so it doesn't go entirely to waste until it runs out. Because it was originally for a small group of friends it doesn't have mods or anything and it's probably going to be mostly uncurated because I have no idea how to run a server, but if you're cool with that then come on down.

It's a freshly generated small world with no notable surface features, if it blows up let me know so I can gen a new one.
172.96.164.58:7780
password is goons backwards.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

"Happiness Management" is usually a big red flag but this sounds like a good set of incentives for making nice houses instead of apartments, with the option for apartments still on the table if you don't care about nice things.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

knob posted:

apparently using the "wrong" torches decreases your luck stat

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck#Torch_Luck

This is weird as gently caress, and seems pointless in a bad way. I don't want to feng-shui my light fixtures while caving, no one wants to think about that, they just want to be able to see.

Is the play now to just beeline for the mining helmet and never use torches again, defense be damned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Cranking the spawn rate way up is fun for the early game when it's generally really boring.