Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Haven't played Terraria since some time long before hard mode, and wow the game has improved. Quick stack, more biomes and doing poo poo is just generally easier somehow. I don't remember that much except for inventory management and building being kind of a pain in the rear end back in the day.

If I want to install a mod that adds cool poo poo to explore without upping the difficulty overly much, what should I choose? I mention difficulty because I'm kind of inept at platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lorini posted:

This is exactly what I did and got my fish!! There was only one small lake above it and it would have taken longer to properly guide the water down than it did to make a bunch of buckets and then just throw them in.

Thanks everyone!

For the next time, all you need is one bucket of water and a platform 4 blocks wide and one block up at the end, like an L lying down. You can constantly dump the water and pick it up in one motion before all of it runs off the end of the platform, effectively generating infinite water. Sadly doesn't work with slow moving fluids like honey.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't remember buying Terraria at all, think I must have gotten it in a bundle or Christmas sale 7 years ago or so. Not sure why, I don't particularly like platformers or Minecraft, which is all I knew about the game at the time.

Been playing it a lot this year.
Definitely odd to buy a game but only enjoy it after almost a decade of updates and mods. Maybe it's finally time to play New Vegas after this.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ask me about building an aqueduct across half the surface, and deciding to decorate it with green stucco :downs:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

I am playing nice and comfy Thorium Mod. The bosses it adds are tough though.

Apparently a lot of people mix Calamity with Thorium and you could make a whole new wiki on that conglomerate.

I don't know if you guys were paying attention, but development on SpiritMod has stopped. The devs don't know how to "save" it. I put save in quotes because I didn't think SpiritMod was that bad and on the better half of big content mods.

That's a bummer, it's pretty good. Fun weapons, and the bosses were entertaining. Some stuff like the new biomes and blue moon event felt like they could use a little more polish, but they were cool and added variety.

It also plays nicely with Thorium, which is a plus. E: by playing nicely, I mean that the respective mod's items don't trivialize the content unless the player goes out of their way to grind.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 21, 2018

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno, the class specific stuff in Spirit was pretty strong and the later spirit biome weapons that just shoot ultra fast through walls trivialize a lot of stuff.

Huh, yeah its quite possible they were OP and I didn't notice. I'm pretty inept at combat in Terraria.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, I'll have to check that out. I've played with large world enabler (only making the map a bit wider to make space for biomes) and some megamods and slowdowns were definitely an issue. Fps drops were a little random. Seemed like storms and the jungle triggered them, but only on occasion.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Have you checked out Yogscast Sjin's Druidaria series? It's him, Duncan, Lewis and Tom just farting around in a game none of them understand but still manage to beat the Moon Lord.

Then they go back for a second series with Calamity in there.

So I watched this for about 10 episodes, in which time they managed to build a hellevator, and die, a lot. Half of which is due to hellevator mishaps, and the other half being that they are still rocking copper swords and wooden yo-yos.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rynoto posted:

The (original) members of the yogscast are notoriously lazy and inept WoW goons. Temper your expectations accordingly and enjoy the comedy of it all.

Episode 11: having mined down to lava, one of them considers crafting an iron pickaxe. Also another guy has been using a wooden yo yo wrong the entire series and it’s starting to bug me.
It’s pretty funny but also kind of frustrating.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ehh, I’m fine with the lore being mostly outside of the game. Not like it needs it. If they were to add anything, it would be cool to find some hints in ruined shrines or dungeons. That’s already there kind of with the dungeon and lizarhard temple but it could be fleshed out a bit.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah. The whole sandbox thing makes it very ill-suited to getting an official story. After all, all that happens in Terraria is that there are zombies and eyeballs at night, slimes by day. Anything worse than that happens as a result of player action.

Breaking heart crystals and using them to get more health is what causes the Eye of Cthulhu to appear, breaking shadow orbs/crimson hearts is what awakes the eater of world/brain of cthulhu and summons a meteorite, entering hardmode requires the player sacrificing their Guide, and so on. The only "altruistic" boss fight in the game is defeating Skeletron to free an old man from a curse. If you never raid the Lizard temple, the cultists never appear; if you never disturb the Cultists, the celestial pillars never arrive, if you don't destroy the celestial pillars the Moonlord never comes, and so on. And if you die and lose a fight against a boss, nothing bad happens to the world, the boss just goes away and despawn while you get to respawn 10 seconds later and can try again.

There are sound gameplay reasons for that, so all players can do what they want, progress at whatever pace they want, you can speedrun the boss chain in less than an hour or you can focusing on building stuff and never even bother entering hardmode. It's great and gives the players a lot of freedom and the ability to replay the game in a completely different way. But it's not really compatible with an external storyline that doesn't really make sense anyway.

What I'm taking from this is that the player is basically destroying an otherwise pristine world :haw:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Black August posted:

That’s why this being the final update is pretty exciting for me, it gives mod makers more stability, so stuff like the 64 loader can have time to adapt to 1.4 and work out the kinks.

This is definitely a plus. That said it’s also going to be the final nail in the coffin for some mods that were already on life support (spirit mod, tremors, probably half of the large content mods still in development but which haven’t received updates in a while)

Not complaining, just means I need to buckle up and actually finish hardmode for once.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Patware posted:

will i be basically choking the world into a goofy mess if i do anything but Large with multiple content mods going?

Yeah, pretty much. It can be kinda chaotic. I recommend whatever mod it is that lets you expand the world size beyond normal limits so biomes don’t override each other entirely. Just make it wider, not deeper. Or commit to the chaos and make a small map. :getin:

Cat Mattress’ list looks pretty solid, although some of the QoL mods add some kinda game breaking stuff. It’s a matter of taste though. I didn’t even know about Census. Great idea.

In my experience some of Antiaris’ structures don’t play nice with worldgen in heavily modded games. They just don’t generate sometimes. It’s just added flavor with some neat items though, so no big loss.

Also magic storage is basically obligatory with all the extra inventory cruft.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is Terraria available anywhere off of steam, that isn't a sketchy third party reseller? I'd like to test the 64-bit tmodloader, and it would be nice if I could make a burner directory just for testing, instead of potentially borking my current steam installation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh nice. Thanks, I prefer GoG anyways. Pretty sure I picked up Terraria during a christmas sale for like 2 dollars, so no harm in throwing the developers a little extra cash after all these years.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I would be careful. The one game I tried to throw a bunch of mod armor onto mannequins had a lot of random slowdowns and lag, and I wonder if that’s connected since I haven’t had performance issues since then.

A fair number of items do work despite the warnings, though.

Occasionally they just turn into other random items, which can be fun. Definitely got some end-game swords long before hard-mode.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 27, 2019

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ambaire posted:

The ideal is to have each herb type in its own planter, but there's no reason why you can't have them all in daybloom planter boxes. Farming coins to buy them is generally faster and easier than farming clay, anyway, and you can build the planter boxes by themselves. Pots need a platform/etc.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You mean unlocking more just for cosmetic reasons right? Because it says any of them will work for any seed. e: fb

gently caress me, really?

Thanks. :downs:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Has it been on sale recently? For all it’s flaws, Starbound makes a hell of a good impression in the first couple hours. Plenty of time for folks to mash the like button before the grind starts and they start to wonder if their mech will ever be useful or if they will ever find weapons as interesting as those in Terraria (never) or how to enable the minimap (there is none).

Full disclosure: I like building pretty sci-fi towns in Starbound. It’s good for that at least. Just a pity it doesn’t have the dynamism of Terraria with expanding biomes, invasions and world altering events.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lmao

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It bugs me if too much of the map is contaminated in hardmode. Last playthrough, I filled my inventory with sticky bombs and went on an epic mining spree to dig trenches around all the corruption and hallow.

It was pretty tense and challenging as it was my first time encountering Thorium and Spirit mod spawns in hardmode and I could see more and more of the world succumbing as time passed.

Thinking back, it would have been a lot easier (and much less fun) if I had killed Plantera first.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

From the last update to tmodloader in november:

quote:

tModLoader v0.11.7.8 Changelogs

With the recent 1.4.1.2 release, tModLoader could no longer load the music, causing a wide variety of bugs. This release fixes that. As always, this is not an update with the Journeys End content, that is still being worked on.

I would guess that whatever changes needed are pretty comprehensive since they've been working on it for a while. On the plus side if you have Terraria installed via Steam, you can get also get Tmodloader from steam which will make a parallel 1.35 installation so mods still work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ended up installing Terraria again. Any new hotness on the mod scene?

Last I played had a fair bit of fun with Thorium and Spirit Mod which worked OK together.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I've been holding out for the update since 1.4 came out and playing Valheim pushed me over the edge :negative:

I could go back to Starbound but its basically an abusive relationship at this point.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Building elaborate yo-yo bunkers works far more often than it should, it’s great.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh nice. Spirit mod is much less janky after they cut out a bunch of the unnecessary crafting junk and added more polished sprites and music. I do miss the crazy upgradeable boss weapons though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the old crafting system like?

Three things:

Artifact weapons. These were kinda crazy weapons assembled and upgraded from boss loot that got progressively better. They were OP at times, making most of the other weapons redundant. A lot of fun though.

Glyphs. These are still in the game, basically glyphs are a drop from bosses that let you enchant your favourite weapons with some extra bonuses. This is still there.

Recipes. A bunch have been simplified, which is just fine imo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The only backport I've seen is the one that automatically opens/closes doors.

Its pretty great actually.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't have strong feelings either way, but the reduced grind mod fixes any problems one might have with drop rates.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

If it helps any: there's always the option of using a modded map generator. Part of the problem is that Terraria has so much content now that even a large map just isn't big enough anymore to guarantee that everything will really show up somewhere. Forcing the generation of an even bigger one solves that problem most of the time.

This is useful and also pretty entertaining. I made a hilarious hellworld that was just corruption stacked on crimson stacked on jungle everywhere. Also a shitload of pyramids.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Qubee posted:

I'm not looking for a guide or walkthrough. I just feel like following a wiki to complete the game robs me of the sense of discovery and fun, but without the wiki, I'm lost and have zero idea what to do. How did people first figure out what to do when Terraria was relatively newish, without a fully fleshed out wiki to help? On the one hand, the wiki saps a lot of enjoyment for me, but on the other hand, if I didn't use the wiki, I'd miss out on tonnes of cool content because it's so obscure.

I’ve played Terraria a ton and honestly had the same complaint. What made the game click for me was installing the Recipe mod and the Boss checklist mod. They function as an easy in-game reference that I could check if I was stuck on something.

I get how stuff can be discovered organically but IMO that works best when playing co-op with friends. (And they were still playing wow when I started Terraria)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DOTs are great.

Did you build an arena for the fight? It's kinda risky with Queen Bee because it's easy to trigger her by accident, but clearing some space and setting up several levels of platforms can help when it comes to avoiding the bees and her charge. The confined weird spaces in the hives are probably the hardest part.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My own revelation was finding a magic carpet on my second playthrough. Holy poo poo that thing is useful for basically everything before hardmode and it still comes in handy occasionally afterwards.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fandom is a pain especially since google ranks them highest in the search results even when all they have is a placeholder page for a game and there’s a better wiki hosted elsewhere.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve played quite a bit with Thorium+Spirit. The equipment spiritmod adds is occasionally a bit overtuned compared to Thorium. Wasn’t an issue on expert difficulty but it might trivialize some boss fights on lower difficulties. They are both pretty polished and add some cool poo poo. And spirit has some excellent music.

It is a LOT of poo poo that’s added though, get some piggy banks ASAP and the storage mod as well so you aren’t constantly playing inventory Tetris.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Do you guys think I may have overbuilt my Wall of Flesh arena? He died at the player icon starting from the right...

You can never have enough rad minecart tracks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Keep em comin, it’s great. Been putting off another playthrough because I’m waiting for Tmodloader to be done but every picture pushes me closer to the edge.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hell yeah. New Terraria could be awesome.

I've been playing around with the Split mod. It's pretty cool! There's an npc that gives quests to take photos of rare monsters and it adds some fun weapons, although some of them are pretty janky. New bosses are all right and it adds some nice but small biomes. Sprite art has come a long way, it makes some of the older mods look pretty dated.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

luchadornado posted:

Is anyone here paying attention to the progress of tmodloader? Seems like every new release is new patreon sets and Steam version compatibility. In the absence of visible milestones, looking at recent commits my gut reaction is "there is a ton of work remaining".

quote:

We have some definite progress this month that you will want to check out - tML will be doing monthly previews starting in April... and an update on tML 1.4 timing. Want all of the details? Read on!

April has been a big month for tML and it's looking like May will be an even bigger month. Some major mods have started the port to tML 1.4, and they have provided valuable feedback in the process. We'll start May with a focus on a built-in mod porting tool, tModPorter (thanks to Chik3r and Tomat from the community!), which will automate small code changes which have to be made in thousands of places, reducing the amount of manual effort required from modders. We ask modders to keep an eye on tML development, come chat with us in the Discord, and start porting their mods to 1.4 to be ready for when tML 1.4 launches!

Sounds like progress is being made without any major roadblocks but they don't even mention a release, so it's probably at least half a year out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm gonna guess that a lot of the mods do weird poo poo on 1.4 and its going to be a crapshoot which of them get updated. Tmod 1.4 came out a lot earlier than I expected considering their previous updates though. This is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like building little thematic houses in the various biomes, but it takes a while to get around to it. Specifically the desert is a pain the rear end until you get some better equipment.