Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Metrohunter posted:

someone revive tedit tia

Apparently the latest version on their git repo works, as per this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cjurf/tedit_for_13_has_been_experimentally_released/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You also gain a huge player death buffer and the ability to trade aggro so you can run to the nurse, so overall more players is better (assuming each player adds at least as much DPS as the existing ones).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Is it possible to turn off the visual of the Celestial Shell turning you into a werewolf?

No.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

How viable is bulding a DEATH TUNNEL for handling the Frost Moon?

Not sure what you mean by this, but have you considered making a DEATH PIT instead? Funnel the enemies into a pit (you stand on an elevated platform above it) that's lined with traps from the Jungle Temple. Deals with all the trash mobs from both moon events, provided it's sufficiently wide and you use the right traps (the spikey balls and flamethrowers are best I think....).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

how do you fish in lava for the obsidifish and the flarefin. The inferno potion sounds fun and I have a hotline fishing hook but trying to fish in lava just results in nothing happening.

How large is your lava pool (calculated as the area below the surface your bobber floats in)? Do you have bait with you?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Reminder to periodically make manual backups of your world/saves since corruption seems to be rampant.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I spent the morning working on a high capacity greenhouse. 99 of each type of herb is planted!

Remember to harvest with a Staff of Regrowth for extra herbs.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Is there anything that you can pass through but can also hang lanterns and banners from? I want to hang banners in my arena for the buffs but the blocks they're hanging from are gonna block and kill me someday.

Deactivated-actuatored blocks maybe? It might just not let you deactivate them, or drop the banners...

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Most of the expert mode drops aren't very compelling tbh. What are the good ones, Eye of Cthulu / Eater of Worlds / Wall of Flesh / Fishron?

The time changing thing would've definitely been a better Moon Lord one; the functionality already exists in the game's code.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Have you actually tried the Mechanical Minecart? 102 MPH is pretty compelling.

Golem is probably helpful for autofarm builds for enhancing survivability.

And people always seem to forget that Expert Mode Moon Lord ALSO drops Suspicious Looking Tentacle, AKA The Best Light Source In The Game.

Oh, I forgot the minecart was an expert mode thing. We had a world spanning track so I used it pretty often till we built teleporters. The tentacle is ok I guess, I don't really give a poo poo about a light source at that point especially when the Wisp in a Bottle is more or less as good.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I thought the lights represented if that section of the body had sent out its probe yet?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wow Fishron seems hard. Got him to half health then he destroyed me. Is he designed assuming you have a flying mount or something? Either way it looks like I'll have to get some stuff from the invasion events first.

EDIT: Is he fast enough when enraged to catch up to someone running on an asphalt skybridge?

He moves at 102 mph normally when enraged, in his <10% phase he moves at 140-160 mph IIRC. You can keep pace with him in the Mechanical Minecart till he's in his <10% phase and then you're kinda screwed.

He was released when the best gear in the game was from the Frost Moon and remains beatable with it, it just requires you play very well. Stacking potions helps a lot, so does some form of healing (Vampire Knives for instance).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

What was the thing you edit to make your cursor giant and more easily visible?

config.json
pre:
  "ThickMouseEdges": true,
  "ThickMouseEdgesPackedColor": 4294967295,

VodeAndreas posted:

I killed expert Fishron last night and got his mount, is it worth trying to get a UFO still or is this better?

Cute Fishron gives a speed (~31mph to ~60mph) and damage buff (17% I think) for 5s when you immerse your torso/head in liquid or just the speed buff portion if your HP is <50%; the UFO is faster than Cute Fishron normally is, doesn't give any buffs and breaks in the water.

dis astranagant posted:

Apparently his mount is super fast in liquids. Giant honey pool arena, anyone?

You don't even need a big arena, just some honey suspended in bubble blocks to pass through and get the buff periodically.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Spelunker's Potion + Metal Detector is a boon for hunting Adamantite/Titanium, you can run around scouting out veins with the detector and then find them with their glow from the potion. I usually just make the first tier of armour to help kill the mobs while I mine, then skip the 2nd tier and go right to the 3rd.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

He means an 'underwater' arena (actually under-honey) so maneuver around in on the aquatic mount.

I know, but you get the same effect if you periodically pass through floating honey (both the honey buff and the additional movement speed from Cute Fishron) and it's a lot less work (since transferring honey is a pain, although maybe it's easier if you use that one wand? I've never actually tried that).

A giant floating hive arena would still be rad though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You can infinitely generate honey pretty easily, albeit slowly.

Oh, do the pyramid of blocks or pump dupes still work? I thought they patched them out but I haven't actually tested it.

e: Or maybe a big pool of honey and a small aperture to drain it through so it never loses enough at once to make the surface level drop?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Skycastle is coming along nicely

Eventually I may have to do something about the entrance to my hellevator, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to

Also, the balloon cramps my overlord style but at least I got a red cape :v:

FYI you can hide any accessories you want by clicking the little eye icon beside them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Why did you put a giant woman chained to posts in a bikini in your arena?

Read fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Fishron may be cute, but goddamn is it slow. Is the UFO better?

me posted:

Cute Fishron gives a speed (~31mph to ~60mph) and damage buff (17% I think) for 5s when you immerse your torso/head in liquid or just the speed buff portion if your HP is <50%; the UFO is faster than Cute Fishron normally is (slower than buffed Fishron), doesn't give any buffs and breaks in the water.

Apparition posted:

Which one?

Amarok probably, you'll have dozens of them if you spend enough time in the ice biome.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It's pretty hosed up that the developers want people to actually fight the boss they designed instead of stand on spikes and hold m1.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Psuedo-bullet hell bullshit like "move left to avoid laser" and "move up and down to avoid bullets". The hyperbolic lengths people will go to so they can justify their complaints are ridiculous.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can kill him in turtle/beetle with an arena, potions and whatnot. It's not an easy fight though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

quote:

I wish I knew how to do an "average" progression.

Surface -> Underground/Caverns -> Tier 1/2/3 Metal Armour -> Eye of Cthulu -> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu -> (Pre-hardmode Jungle, possibly Sky Islands if you have Gravity Potions) -> Skeletron -> Dungeon -> Hell -> Wall of Flesh -> Hardmode starts -> Tier 4/5/6 Metal Armour -> Wings -> The Destroyer / Twins -> Skeletron Prime -> Hallow/Frost Armour -> Hardmode Jungle -> Plantera -> (Chlorophyte armour if magic or melee / Turtle Armour if melee) / (Shroomite Armour if ranged) -> Hardmode Dungeon -> (Spectre Armour if magic) -> Lihzard Temple -> (Beetle Armour if melee) -> Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon / Duke Fishron -> Cultists -> Pillars -> End of game.

You can cut out / rearrange a lot of this, especially the earliest stuff. But this is more or less the "intended" route, off the top of my head.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

So now i can build houses for NPCs? Go on..

I just know I started in an area that had the helper NPC, but it was a really inconvenient spot. I couldn't build anything and it would have taken FOREVER to level it out and get things settled. Was a turn off, vs Minecraft you can more or less get everything set up regardless of starting position.

You don't need a flat surface to build on.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Terraria isn't really built well enough to be comfortably playable without outside sources like the wiki. Unless you're really hellbent on not using them, I guess. It has so many items that combine into something else and little things you'd have to spend hours to discover (if at all) so using the wiki when in doubt does not diminish the enjoyment IMO.

Everything that combines into something else is labelled as a material and the guide will tell you every recipe it is used in.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Frost and Pumpkin Moons are balanced to be done with Spectre/Shroomite/Beetle tier gear on Normal difficulty, but you'll need an arena with traps and whatnot. On expert you want Fishron+ gear.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Melee is the best until you're near the end of the game, and even then remains competitive.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Shackles to gain MP when taking damage, Mana Flower + a couple potion stacks (lasts quite a while, you'd be surprised).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I seem to be doing the hardmode bosses incorrectly. Destroyer launches something like 20 probes simultaneously, which seems excessive. Is there a better order I should do them in?

This might help. Mostly just says you should have the highest tier of metal armour (Adamantite/Titanium) and wings before the mechanical bosses though. What weapon(s) are you using? Do you have an arena (something simple like a couple longish wooden platforms you can move around on works fine for a lot of bosses)? Are you using buffs?

Read posted:

Surface -> Underground/Caverns -> Tier 1/2/3 Metal Armour -> Eye of Cthulu -> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu -> (Pre-hardmode Jungle, possibly Sky Islands if you have Gravity Potions) -> Skeletron -> Dungeon -> Hell -> Wall of Flesh -> Hardmode starts -> Tier 4/5/6 Metal Armour -> Wings -> The Destroyer / Twins -> Skeletron Prime -> Hallow/Frost Armour -> Hardmode Jungle -> Plantera -> (Chlorophyte armour if magic or melee / Turtle Armour if melee) / (Shroomite Armour if ranged) -> Hardmode Dungeon -> (Spectre Armour if magic) -> Lihzard Temple -> (Beetle Armour if melee) -> Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon / Duke Fishron -> Cultists -> Pillars -> End of game.

You can cut out / rearrange a lot of this, especially the earliest stuff. But this is more or less the "intended" route, off the top of my head.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Not that hard to kill Fishron with buffs (Ichor Flask helps!), turtle/beetle armour, warding accessories and vampire knives. You can switch to a yoyo when you're ok on HP to make it go more quickly but it's not necessary.

Strategy: Hold M1 in his direction, fly away from his attacks, don't leave the ocean.

Only ever tested this in expert.

You can also do it in Healing Spectre, though it's more of a pain and generally a much tighter fight.

Much easier once you have the mount from him, since he's trivial to dodge with the speed buff from entering water.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

Is it even possible to dodge Spaz's chain charges without a dash accessory? o_O
I believe falling and ascending diagonally (with decent wings) are quick enough, might be speed bonus dependent.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It's designed to be played through on a new character.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bouquet posted:

So, uh, I don't know if messed around underground too much instead of aboveground or what, but the Eye of Cthulu is coming for me now and I've got the Enchanted Boomerang and a full suit of copper armor. And no arena. The boomerang seems pretty good but not 2500 hp or whatever of damage good. I can work on an arena. Any other suggestions? I don't have enough lead/tungsten/platinum to make a full suit of armor, and it seems like the set bonus is roughly equivalent to the upgrade I could get by making one or two random higher level armor pieces.

(This is my first time with the game ever, just in case that wasn't completely obvious already.)

I did the eye on a new character in expert the other day, I think I used full tungsten (silver equivalent) and a platinum bow (gold equivalent) with frost arrows. Then buffed with ironskin, regen and archer potions, placed a bonfire and started the fight. Healed with my nearby nurse twice during the fight when on potion cooldown, pretty easy.

Given you're probably not on expert, you can downgrade all that gear by a level or two. Maybe iron armour and silver bow equivalents. Frost arrows are easy to make (Ice Block + Torch + Wooden Arrow), so are the potions.

There's also the standby method of shurikens/throwing knife spam, you can get in a couple hits if they come back down through the eye plus they pierce the little eye summons. I dunno if that still works though, I haven't played normal mode since expert came out.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Only about 3 of the expert mode items are very good (Worm Scarf, Demon Heart, Shrimpy Truffle), and you can't use the best one outside of expert maps (technically the worm scarf is better than the demon heart, but (imo) only in expert where enemy damage scales super high lategame) . Expert mode is really for people who want a challenge, the extra items are just a bonus.

Also you should probably generally not play expert for your first playthrough.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who regards video games, Terraria included, as a solo pastime, I'm bothered by the number of bosses that seem almost undoable solo.

You can beat everything in the game solo, even on expert where things have double the hp and deal more than double damage (even after considering the defense damage mitigation increase).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The original version of the game (the first official release) ended more or less with the hell content, the Sunfury and what not were the top tier of gear (they also dropped randomly back then rather than being found in chests, the grind was awful).

quote:

Is there a good making of, or comprehensive interview about how this works? I need to know more!

There isn't a huge amount to say, but off the top of my head the history of the game is something like:

Redigit (lead designer, developer, creator) and Tiyuri (lead artist) start talking publically about the game in 2011, with information on the game being sporadically released as development continued. Redigit and Tiy would occasionally stream themselves playing, and one Youtuber (PBat) was allowed a copy of the game to LP. At some point a poorly secured server caused an alpha version of the game to leak, which the hyped up fanbase immediately started playing. The pressure from that caused the game to release earlier than intended, a few months later.

The game was wildly successful, at some point Tiyuri left to pursue developing his own game (Starbound). Over the next few years the team developing the game grew (new artists and programmers brought on) and a bunch of content was added to the game - most notably hardmode, the crimson/jungle temple/chlorophyte, the frost/pumpkin moons and the latest big patch that added the lunar events.

I think at this point Redigit and some people from the Terraria 1 team are working on Terraria 2, the remaining people continue to update Terraria 1 and there's also an offshoot game in development by another studio.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Yeah, I had some vague memory that there was some drama which caused a team member to leave but I couldn't remember any details.