Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, my two friends and I are just getting completely curbstomped by expert mode Skeletron. I've got a 21 damage yoyo + countweight from the travelling merchant and am in full crimtane, while they are both in full bee gear with bee guns and bee pets from the bee scepter as well as demon scepter books. We pretty much just die before even getting a fourth of his health off or smashing any of his arms. He does so much damage, and no matter how fast you run or how much you jump you can't really reliably dodge him even with an arena that's a bunch of flat platforms to run on , and with the longer respawns on expert and the tendency for bosses to just leave if you die too much, you can't even cheese him with respawns any more. Is there something we should do first or is there some trick to him? Even if you can survive him for a little while he has /so much health/ and hurts so much on each hit, that I'm thinking we must be doing something very wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

My preferred tactic for skeletron and a lot of other bosses is so cheesy that it'd murder lactose intolerant players, but I stock up on gravitation and mana potions, and simply spend the entire fight holding left (until I hit the world's edge, then I switch to holding right) and toggling between apple falls up, apple falls down. A lot of bosses don't track vertical movement well, and it will usually keep skeletron far enough away to mitigate his attacks, while still keeping him close enough to hit.

I used Flairon + Razorblade Typhoon (for healing with spectre armor), the former's homing bubbles mitigates the challenge of aiming while zigzagging through the sky, and the latter keeps you alive if he gets in a few hits while a potion is on cooldown.

I'm kind of surprised you still have to cheese him with hardmode weapons too. Expert hardmode bosses must be horrifying.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Having now beat normal mode, I really wish they'd put a mode between normal and expert mode, or rebalance expert mode some - Normal mode is mostly a faceroll outside of the moon lord stuff, but doing expert mode with a few friends was really fun up until skeletron - we /nearly/ beat him enough that I'm sure we could have managed with a little more work, but from what I've heard and seen hardmode bosses are just flat out unfair. Requiring near-perfect dodging just isn't reasonable with all that extreme damage bosses start doing on expert.

Having an expert-lite where things are tougher and nastier and a little smarter without some of the super-bullshit some of the expert mode bosses pull would be nice. I mean we could go do it with our lunar gear now but that wouldn't be as fun.

Plus, treasure bags are waaaaaaaaaay nicer than the single-drops from normal mode - trying to farm for some specific boss drops on normal mode is just pure torture, and double droprate in general make some rarer items feel much less obnoxious. Never been a big fan of any item that all but requires an afkfarm trap setup anyway

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Not really. The only expert mode boss that's significantly different is Eye of Cthulu with his crazy dash spam (and arguably Skeletron with his defense schtick). The rest of them are just flat out numbers. It's not really any different to how you would play them on normal mode, you just have less room for error.

Yeah that's the thing, with many of the enemies, just increased numbers made them a lot more interesting, though several of the enemies had more mechanics or behaved differently (it became really obvious when you moved back to normal mode afterward). But, when it came to bosses, they gave them such big numbers that the only way to beat them is to just pretty much not get hit at all which isn't really very viable in Terraria without minecart or teleport shenanigans or whatnot.

Expert Skeletron was especially obnoxious though in that he had an extra gently caress you beyond the defense schtick and the ludicrous damage/hp too, when he spun his head to ram you, if he touched you even once he'd stick on top of you and keep spinning while you were knocked around constantly preventing you from being able to run while taking like 70~ damage a second in full molten armor and then pop before you even had the chance to try do anything to outrun him (he's fast enough to stick to someone who flat out jumps off the arena and will probably kill them in midair before they hit the ground).

Top of all this extreme difficulty with having to wait until the next day for the old man to respawn so we could fight skeletron again, except when he decided he didn't feel like respawning so we'd have to wait two days instead lead to an amazing amount of not fun and after looking up how hardmode bosses were gunna be more of the same only with even more nearly unavoidable damage it lead to us abandoning our expert mode world.

What annoys me so much about it is everything up to Skeletron was really enjoyable in comparison to normal mode, after which it becomes obnoxious. That's why I mentioned wanting a difficulty between normal and expert, where things are tougher without being bullshit and don't expect practically perfect play or overly complicated arenas or exploits to beat.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

The dodging and gun changes are cool as hell (but makes many of them less viable against bosses), every other feature (weapon durability, fires, etc) I turned off because they were obnoxious, buggy, or both.
It's cool rolling past zombies and blasting them in the face with a boomstick, or incinerating demon eyes with the souped-up space gun, not so much doing 1 damage a hit to the eye of cthulhu with those same guns.

Yeah, did a modded run recently and this is why I didn't play Thorium again.
Still not quite as weird as GRealm, which has some really weird sidegrades (but gets points for some of the new NPC stuff).

I did a modded run recently and there's some I could recommend but it feels like the vast majority of content mods are bad because they add so much stuff that, by the time you discover it, will already be outclassed. Sidegrades that can't compete with more easily acquired vanilla content in the first place feel that much more pointless.

I've been doing Thorium as a bard while a friend was just an ordinary mage, and honestly bard feels stronger than mage - a glacial piccolo (made with the ice biome shards, at that!) with a silver mouthpiece shoots fairly spammy homing waves that do a surprising amount of damage - enough to kill the bosses without issue as well as easily kill anything in the crimson, the aquatic depths, the jungle, and the underground desert. Make the ring that gives +4 damage to all symphonic weapons, then grab the +5 armor penetration sharktooth necklace and you can really do some serious damage with it.

Since the silver mouthpiece makes all wind instruments homing, you can also shoot them around corners to kill dangerous enemies, and when you get a Forest Ocarina from a jungle chest, which does even more damage, you can also right click to create a glyph that mirrors your shots - you can even create them through walls to kill things from safety.

Then, you can make the Sitar with fossils from the underground desert biome, which is an extremely rapid fire (more so than the wind instruments) bouncing projectile launcher that pierces enemies and pretty much murders massive groups, esp. blood moons/goblin invasions. Then you've got the tamborines, which are spammy throwing weapons that do symphonic damage but don't use enough inspiration to actually cost anything in a pinch.

Thorium is definitely not all weak sidegrades, though maybe Bard is just unusually strong. I started right next to an ice biome, so massacring a bunch of eskimo zombies for a suit of ice armor was a significantly better set of armor than plain old wood, especially since digging for Iron Ore was being really unfruitful (and I think it's still better than iron - the set bonus damage aura that sets enemies on frostfire is pretty convenient). I think a lot of it is just alternate progression path options instead of specifically being a 'new tier'.

Spirit mod i'm not really impressed with at all, it seems incredibly anemic.

How good is Cataclysm?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 1, 2017

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Er, yeah, Calamity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I could never get into Magic Storage. Something about the UI just put me off despite the convenience, and not being able to use the normal deposit all button I was used to bugged me.
Probably to my own detriment.

I've never trusted quick stack to chest because it somehow always ended up stealing items i wanted to keep on me, so Magic Storage was really easy to acclimate to, since i just shift-click stuff into it like usual.