Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tenebrais posted:

Nope, just 3. The thorns that grow in corruption can spread it further, but they only transmit by touch so a barrier of uncorruptible material will do.

3 tiles with a barrier is a caveat. :v:

There is also the issue of I think either grass walls or the grass vines that form on the underside of dirt. Either one of those spreads the corruption and/or crimson, I had it happen on a wide tunnel I'd opened up when I imported some crimson to my corruption world. I caught it early and could wipe it off before it contaminated any serious amount of blocks but it's still something to watch out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The only exciting thing about fishing is letting 4 or 5 enemies spawn and trying to dodge them while maintaining the fishing line.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

An OP that keeps updated with goon servers would be nice. I tend to play alone because the friends I've played with before don't really feel it/didn't feel like doing a fresh start on expert.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

While I can't find that picture with the really, REALLY in depth labeled series of storage chests. What's a good rough estimate for some casual but labeled storage for a single person?

I somehow have the feeling "20 chests" is undershooting even while in normal mode.

You'll want different chests for pre-hardmode and hardmode ores/bars, separate chests for each kind of weapon unless you sell them instead of collect them (so different for melee, bows, thrown, magic, maybe summon too since I tend to put pet/mount items with those), probably more than one chest for monster loot, a different chest for wood, different one for furniture (and more than one depending on how varied you base building is)... Make separate chests for putting in potions, potion materials, and seeds, and sell off excess healing potions that are of a lower rank than the one you're using at any given time. You should also keep your completed accessories separate so they don't clutter the chest you put the ones you plan to merge with others (which should be next to the tinkerer's workshop). I also highly recommend placing a chest dedicated to putting all the poo poo pirates drop for you when you get to those invasions. Another chest-filler is apparel, because they don't stack. You'll want two or three chests dedicated to putting in all the stupid hats and poo poo you come across, even if you sell duplicates, honestly.

Basically, chests. You'll want a lot of these.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

My main concern is underestimating all the stuff that doesn't stack, basically. For example, I'm only just now doing a general search for "Melee" and holy loving poo poo even if you ignored "Tin Vs Copper" and thrown weapons that's still basically over 100 items. I'd be happy with broad categories so I'd know "Okay, Melee poo poo is there, Ammo based weapons is there, and over here is my overflowing collection of umbrella hats and a chest filled entirely with wood and stone."

Seriousky sell/trash low tier craftables you keep in chests, there is 0 reason to keep them around. For weapons, splitting thrown melee from close range melee, guns from bows, summons from magic, and one-use like explosives from everything else should go a long ways towards keeping your storage tidy unless you are huge on collecting.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Is it really necessary to sort out everything obtained after hard mode versus pre-hardmode? Isn't there some cross over?

Some things, it is. I've tried to maintain a single Ores & Metals chest and it just won't work. There's just too much stuff (especially if you keep what you fish so you end up with the full 8 pre-hardmode/6 hardmode mineable ores/bars). In the end it is just much more tidy and organised if you split some stuff like that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You don't have all crafting materials either.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just make a couple worlds and rush them into hardmode until you get one with Cobalt, I guess, then go to town on demon altars.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Make shortswords able to poke in any direction. Bam, they now have a reason to exist. Faster stabs than a broadsword swing, but a swing has more damage per hit, a wider arc and better range. If you want to avoid players having a viable weapon from the start, give them a "poking stick" which functions exactly as the current copper shortsword.

Spears exist.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Imps aren't much good in my opinion, but I don't remember if you can craft anything right now that's better.

If it's raining stay out and kill Angry Nimbus', the Nimbus Rod is hella good and works wonders against the Destroyer. Also make sure your arena is good enough, with heart lanterns and campfires giving full coverage (stars in a bottle too, depending on how much you use magic).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I'd got the pirate stuff and discount card I think in my first pirate invasion. Which was good, because pirate invasions will loving murder you if you're not on the level where you could stand up against the mechanical bosses, and I definitely wasn't ready, so some compensation was due for that. :catstare:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Guide generalls gives you pretty good hints for stuff to do in the first 2/3rds or so of pre-hardmode. Have you beaten the Eye of Cthulhu yet? Because it sounds like you're missing a good amount of pre-hardmode progression if you're trying to do hell with gold stuff.

That said forgetting that there is a literal "tell me what to do next" NPC is perfectly understandable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Eye of Cthulhu is before corruption. He randomly appears on some nights once you hit 200 HP I think (and you can forge a summoning item for him using lenses on a demon altar).

My advice would be to rambo into a corruption tunnel thing and use (sticky) bombs to break into a shadow orb chamber with them and destroy it. If you destroy just one nothing bad will happen, it will drop you a decent-ish corruption item and it will enable meteorires, which are a very straightforward way to get large amounts of decent pre-hardmode ore.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

(e^; Then yeah you'll have trouble. It's possible but there won't be much to carry you through things. Getting stuff like the Ice Sickle is a must and even then without more variety as backup it's gonna be tough.)

Melee-only is perfectly viable, especially since there's ranged weapons like yoyos, boomerangs and so on that are melee, and most later melee weapons also shoot projectiles. Focusing will definitely not make things impossible. That said, it will make things harder if you hit plateaus where there's no real good melee weapon with which to fight some of the hardmode bosses, but most biomes should now have yoyo drops that are pretty drat OP and enough to carry you through those fights on their own.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 3, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

mune posted:

So I love Terraria and I've played it approximately a million times over the previous few updates, along with several mods.

I just got 1.3 and am going to do a vanilla run, starting from scratch. Any huge tips I should know going into it?

Yoyos are loving ridiculous, make sure you get a counterweight (any one of them) and a yoyo glove from the skeleton merchant if he's selling it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

The solution to "absurdly lethal event" is not "defeat bullet hell boss, even more absurdly lethal event, and absurdly lethal bullet hell boss."

The solution MIGHT be "edit sundial onto character," though.

Blood Moons and Eclipses don't affect the underground (at least wrt to what spawns, they might still affect the spawn rate) so you can just go cavern exploring during them if you don't want to deal with them. Goblin, pirate, and alien invasions stick around until you're through with them though, so the sundial wouldn't be any help there anyway. But you can still just ignore them for a while by staying away from the invasion point.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Will it come after me again on its own, or will I have to summon it back? I've prepared a well-lit battlefield, and made a ton of flaming arrows.

You can make a summoning item using lenses dropped from the small eyes on the glowing altars you find underground a bunch and in the corruption/crimson.

It will still come back on its own every few nights though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Ive decided to push tmodloader a bit and im currently downloading a plethora of mods that add tons of items, monsters, and bosses.

I think im at around 1500 new items, 30 or so bosses, and 600 new mobs? Something like that anyway. Cant wait to see how broken Terraria will get with all these addons.

Continueing to download stuff, ive about tripled the new item count. This is going to be so dumb.

I've been playing with the modpack that's been posted in this thread, keeping everything that's possible up to date. Loot runs are impossible with how many items drop and clutter your inventory and vanilla boss treasure bags usually have extra drops added from 3-4 mods so that's fun as well.

If you haven't started yet, I think I would recommend not rolling with the Tremor mod. More recently they seem to have edited some vanilla recipes to add requirements for mod loot making stuff like Chlorophyte bars a huge pain to get the normal way.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Doing that will also make loot runs much harder, since you'll have way more unique drops competing for your inventory space.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The flying devils in hell also have a decent chance of dropping their spell, which is very powerful and goes through enemies so you can get multihits with each projectile.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Probably easier to fish for titanium really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

So now that tml has fixed some of the out of memory errors ive decided to activate every single large pack i could find. Theres so much item bloat i cant figure out how to do anything. Its greatbad.

I hope you have some inventory storage mods activated as well because otherwise every single underground run will make it fill with different junk from each mod before you're two minutes in.