Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Does expert effect world gen at all? I played for a few hours and didnt find one chest or life crystal. My starting area is a tiny bit of neutral ground with the jungle and tundra a stones throw on either side. Haven't played in awhile maybe thats just how it is these days.

If you're starting right next the jungle, I'd assume so. Normally it only generates on the outer third of the map, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh man. Had a goblin invasion come to my village, and having the NPCs all fight along you is awesome. I think the painter managed to turn one of them green.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

queeb posted:

Oh god I've never played this for more than 5 minutes before and now there's so much poo poo I dont even know where to start. I'm guessing the wiki is a good place to begin when trying to figure out what to do in the beginning? I found a chest and ended up with a silver pick, not sure how many tiers I skipped with that but it's pretty awesome.

Ask the Guide for ideas what to do. Generally, build houses and dig into caves.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think two Nurses will spawn if you're in multiplayer, but only one of the rest of them. And the Nurses thing might not even be true any more, it's been a very long time since I saw that happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ugh, the Angler quest part of making the PDA is hell. I've still got two of the three drops to go and he just won't give them out! It wouldn't be so bad if you could have more than one quest a day...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

I haven't explored it much, does it not even have like, chests you can get Sandstorm in a Bottle and such in?

Chests in the underground desert have the same loot as chests in the regular underground. Pyramid gear is still only found in pyramids (so at most one chest per world, generally).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think since 1.3 all the post-Hardmode swords have autoswing now. Or something to that effect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

neurotech posted:

I've just finished laying minecart track all the way from one side of the underworld to the other. I'm almost ready to fight the Wall of Flesh.

What should I be focusing on doing once hardmode is activated?

You'll want to smash some demon altars and work your way up to getting a full set of Adamantine or Titanium armour, as well as whatever weapons suit your tastes to fight the mechanical bosses.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackheart posted:

The game now has a shitload of content even before hardmode. I'm enjoying the new world and character I made so much that I haven't even gotten to Skeletron and there is just so much fun stuff to do!

That sad I think I might keep my Starfury for a good while even after I get better weaponry, the star is just too useful revealing caves when underground.

I keep Starfury on my hotbar for cave-diving even now I'm into Hardmode.

Also I clocked around 25 hours on this character before beating the Wall of Flesh. This game is awesome.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a certain beauty to a base that's just organically built up as needed out of whatever is to hand.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the NPCs being disabled from going up stairs. I want to watch my NPCs hanging out together dammit :kimchi:

NPCs can and do go up stairs. I'm not sure what exactly that patch note was referring to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Weird. I've gotten "you killed your 50th Black Slime!" or whatever and the accompanying banner when something just falls into lava and dies with no input at all from me while I'm digging up silt or something. Just happened two days ago with skeletons.

Maybe it's different between single and multiplayer? In single player the game can credit every death to you but in multiplayer the game would need to track who is killing what, and might not be able to track projectiles that aren't directly from the player.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I really wish I could turn off events. Finally get the wizard to move back into my hard mode world. As I'm running towards him to buy some music boxes, blood moon rises and a wraith floats through the walls and murder him.

EDIT: and it segues right into a solar eclipse. This kind of stops being fun after 10+ of these things in short order. Sometimes I just want to do what I wanted to do, game.

Fishing crates in hardmode can now rarely contain an enchanted sundial that lets you skip one day a week. Good for skipping past unwanted moon events, though the one time I used it for a blood moon it was immediately followed by a solar eclipse...

On the plus side, eclipses are supposed to be less common now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I found a strange plant right at my base, sitting literally next to a marigold. I don't think they're restricted by dye plants. Unless the marigold grew there later and I really didn't notice the strange for that long? Sounds unlikely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Invisible Ted posted:

Any strategies for the lunatic cultist? I've got full beetle armor, and no matter what I do I feel like I just can't loving hit him, he kills me by the time I get him one quarter of the way down.

Cosmic car key. Having unrestricted movement is ideal for both dodging his attacks and reaching him to hit him.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

That is excellent.

I am decently certain it needs to be a fair bit more than 3 tiles of distance for those things to not spread.

Nope, just 3. The thorns that grow in corruption can spread it further, but they only transmit by touch so a barrier of uncorruptible material will do.

Regarding stopping the corruption in your jungle, if you've got access to the Clentaminator, just spray a thin band of Hallow at the edge of your jungle. Corruption can't corrupt Hallow and Hallow can't transform Jungle.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I didn't get a pair of Hermes Boots until I was searching for Plantera's bulb. It was agonizing.

What about Flurry boots or Sailfish boots? They do the same thing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

This game runs like complete rear end even with frameskip on. Any tweaks or something? It's unplayable.

Try changing the lighting mode to Retro. That seems to have the biggest impact of the graphics settings in my experience.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've managed to fit all the ores and bars into one chest, provided I don't go over one stack of anything and I don't have both demonite and crimtane.

Though I guess I haven't got Luminite yet. It only half counts since you don't mine it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Really, you don't need to be given a weak weapon to start with, since you already have the pick and the axe. Heck, the starting axe is probably a better weapon than the shortsword.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unbalanced posted:

Should I be playing on expert difficulty if I want access to everything the game has to potentially offer? I'm not a huge fan of the frustrating enemies but I hate being locked out of content even more.

Each boss drops a unique item in expert mode only.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My achievements list says I've done 84, but there were probably as many again before the patch that fixed counting quests for the achievement.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

What's the earliest obtainable magic weapon? Is an all magic run (as in, never using melee or ranged even once) feasible?

Wand of Sparks, from a surface chest, or one of the staves made from gems and basic metal. Once you get one of those all-magic is pretty feasible but you might need to kill a few slimes to reach that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Keiya posted:

Edit: never mind, apparently it was waiting for me to make a fool of myself on SA first. Literally just after posting I got one.

It is a universal constant that asking for help causes problems to solve themselves.

The ankh shield was no problem for me in my last game; the only item I actually ground for was the Nazar (so that I could get it before beating Plantera, when there would be so many non-skull spawns) and that didn't take too long. I had the whole thing before Plantera without waiting around for it. I don't know if I got lucky or if trying to get the Cell Phone put things into perspective.

Maybe one or two of the Fisherman's info items should be things you can fish up instead? I mean, the Radar can fill that spot if you don't get one in a surface chest, but just to reduce the number of items you need to get with a one-in-forty chance once per day. Maybe make the Sextant drop rarely from blood moon enemies like the money trough. Something. They're easily the worst part of the PDA.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cobalt/Palladium armour is good for general exploring until you get Adamntium/Titanium. Mythril/Orichalcum is a middle ground armour if you don't have quite enough for a complete set. It's much the same as how there are four metal tiers before the second pre-hardmode boss; you don't need to progress through complete sets of them all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Really the last great thing this game needs is a Very Large world with all the ores and both evil biomes.

That and maybe loot in the underground desert.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bear in mind there's no penalty to having your base in Hallow, except running into tougher enemies once you're away from it. If you're seriously worried about corruption spread, just buy a hallow seed from the Dryad when hardmode starts and plant it in your base. You won't have to worry about corruption ever.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crystal Storm and Golden Shower are both very solid spells for this stage, and craftable (the latter only in Crimson worlds). You'll also want to get hold of a Nimbus Rod during the rain.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I believe it has a 1/3 chance of spawning each night from when you achieve 10 hearts to the first time you kill it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Hey so a Nurse moved into my little apartment complex, but on her way there she seems to have decided to take a dip in the nearby pond and got stuck. She's just sitting here throwing arrows (?) at nothing and getting healed for 10 hp every tick so she cannot drown. I can talk to her, but she won't move. What do I... do about this?

Try digging her a ramp out of the pool, on the side of her house. I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try. She won't be able to jump up that cliff edge.
It's possible that she's just stuck because she's too busy healing herself, in which case try draining the pond.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Greetings, humans, it is I CJacobs. I am here with my completely normal head and not at all strange bat wings to show you that my flowers have started to grow:

Apparently it just takes a while longer than I thought.

You can plant Daybloom seeds in the planters or regular ground to get them faster. The purple flowers aren't daybloom, they're just weeds.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Buttflakes posted:

I can't seem to quite find the answer to this one-
Do "The Corruption" or "The Crimson" just spread a little bit all the time until the whole map is covered no matter what you're doing, or do you have to be near it for it to spread, or like... do *you* spread it around?
I understand that it spreads, I'm just not totally clear on the details.

Basically I'm wanting to build like one world that is my keeper world that I'm going to make nice and pretty, and I would like to just have a series of throwaway worlds that I use to mine and discover poo poo, obviously using my character to move stuff from world to world. I'm trying to figure out if I can create a world to build and play in and not worry about the loving corruption/crimson poo poo or if I need to hunt it down and dig a trench around it (as I understand it, anyway). Thanks in advance for answering!

If it's a new world, Corruption/Crimson will slowly infect grass until it hits sunflowers or any not-grass, where it is blocked. You don't have to do anything, it'll go by itself, though it'll probably have spread as far as it can by the time you find it.

Once you activate Hardmode, it will spread more aggressively, infecting stone, sand and ice, not being blocked by sunflowers, and will consume everything without intervention (though beating further bosses will slow it down).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Half the NPCs are gated in Hardmode, so you'll want a decent base for them all anyway. Might as well make it your Main world, a base isn't actually that hard to protect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just so it's clear, there is nothing at the end of the dungeon, nor does it have a meaningful "end". You don't have to explore the whole thing. It's just a biome that you can explore as much as you like until you get the items you want from it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When major content patches came out I'd never been able to just continue with an old character/world to check out the extended endgame, I'd always start over. It's just easier to get back into the game when you don't have to spend a bunch of time remembering how you'd had your world set up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah because of corruption/crimson/hallow spread I basically never don't build my home base like 10-15 blocks above the ground, air-gapped with platforms to get up there :tinfoil:

I just deliberately spread hallow into my village. It doesn't break the housing and spawns are suppressed by the NPCs like in normal ground.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you haven't learned it yet, breaking more altars spawns more hard mode ores, so try that if you're looking for more adamantine too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Desktop does have an auto-aim for digging, at least.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I love this game but I didn't care for how the later invasion events depend on building mob grinders to run them. The goblin invasion for example I just ran until I "won" but the later ones are just cancelled because I ran out of time. Even though I was holding my own pretty well against the enemy hordes.

The Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon really seem built around multiplayer to chew through the enemies fast enough. The goblin and martian invasions go until you kill enough enemies but the Moon events only last until dawn.

I did cheese them by setting up a multiplayer server for myself, then using the server console to keep setting it back to midnight until I'd got what I wanted.

Also the Frost Moon music is great and my favourite christmas song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And if you're relying on biome crates you're already grinding for drops anyway.