Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
drat dude these nymphs gently caress you up tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Tell me more. :eyepop:

Not much to say other than I found some monster in a cave that looked kinda like an NPC but instead apparently had like 600 health and instagibbed me. :v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Thinking of just starting a new world on not-expert mode because getting instagibbed constantly is getting kind of old.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Det_no posted:

Where are people getting stuck? I hadn't played Terraria in like two years so it's been great fun and I'm kind of worried I'll run into a wall. It IS kind of frustrating at parts, killing the brain was a pain, but there's so much to discover that it's hard not to keep playing.

At least from my experience, it's not a matter of getting stuck but a matter of realizing that "boy this is tedious and I'm not really having fun."

When I have some stronger toys I'll go into an expert world to grab the trinkets from the bosses I guess but otherwise I'm sticking to normal mode.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
At first I wasn't feeling the yo-yos but I recently picked up the associated accessories from the cave merchant and holy poo poo this owns.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some trick to finding the skeleton merchant? I want to jump on the yoyo bandwagon but he's pulling a no show.

I'm not too sure. I didn't see him until I was spelunking in hardmode and I found him twice in pretty rapid succession then. Maybe he only shows up on hardmode?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
drat, the Daedalus Stormbow is crazy, especially with holy arrows. I don't think it took me even 20 seconds for the destroyer to go down.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

What's the best thing to do with old weapons and gear? I don't remember if you can disassemble them and it seems a waste to toss it all.

You can sell them off to NPCs such as the merchant for some cash. You can also make mannequins and weapon displays for your old stuff for decoration.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sjonnar posted:

On the plus side, it's almost certainly going to be fixed in a patch.

Probably the same patch which will inevitably nerf yo-yos. :smith:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RatHat posted:

Is there any practical use for the Web Slinger?

It's a really good grappling hook. :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jabarto posted:

She can be killed by the spiders if you don't get to her quickly.

Does she ever reappear? I saw her when I first got into hardmode while going past an already-explored spider cave but I got the gently caress out of dodge because those black recluses kick some rear end and I'm pretty sure she got ripped.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Anybody know where character saves are stored if you're using the cloud sharing option? It doesn't seem to be in the my documents folder like usual and I need to edit some poo poo into my inventory because Terraria decided to poo poo itself and crash after I gathered a bunch of souls of light.

Edit: nevermind, looks like clicking "move off cloud" puts a copy of the file in the usual save folder

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I switched out my Amarock for the Shadowflame Dagger for a while and beat up Plantera but then I found a (several actually) Kraken and lol yoyos are crazy op again

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Just wait for your next solar eclipse.

Already got the Eye of Cthulu, but it wasn't quite the hilarious step up over what I that the Kraken was.

edit: not that it wasn't also hilarious. I want to use all the cool and interesting weapons I'm finding but it's so easy to say "eh I'll just stick to my murderballs"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It seems Terraria likes to crash quite a bit nowadays and it's almost always after doing something that I really don't want to redo (like remodeling a part of my base).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

I Said No posted:

Terramap. If you're looking for strange plants, you want to check "Dye Flowers" and not the blocks actually called Strange Plant 1 2 3 and 4.

Good thing I never looked too hard for these plants before because according to this, my world doesn't have any. Inventory editor here I come.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GrunderGretch posted:

So I'm totally new to terraria. I've got about 14 hours in and I'm pretty lost on what to do.
I've got a stack and a half of gold, 7 demonite bars and a few stacks of the other stuff.

For gear I've got:
Nightvision helm
Ancient shadow scalemail
Jungle pants
Hasty schakles
Quick feral claws
Intrepid hermes boots
Band of regen
And spiked nature's gift.

I haven't done any bosses, just the falling slime and poo poo. I really need a progression l.p or SOMETHING.

help a nub out..

The first boss will probably spawn randomly at nighttime. If it doesn't then you might also try taking your pile of lenses to one of the demon altars and looking at the crafting screen.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Any circumstances that martian probes like to spawn under? I've only seen 3, all during blood moons but the wiki doesn't mention anything other than that they apparently spawn more frequently in the space layer. When I first tried it the saucer dunked me p. hard because I was unprepared and didn't know what I was getting into but now that I'm good to stomp some martians they've decided to not show up. :argh:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MrGreenShirt posted:

Although now it appears the game deleted my most current save and thus all the work I put into my artificial jungle biome. Good think Tedit just updated I guess!

gently caress I'm just gonna backup my stuff real quick because apparently every page has someone lose their world.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
drat these solar pillar enemies are some tough bitches.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

I haven't played Terraria since it was released and have just got into it again after this new patch. I was wondering if the Meteroite armour and lazer gun combo remains completely ridiculous throughout the game? It has made all the bosses I have discovered so far completely trivial and seems to have broken any sense of progression I was following before. I went from copper armour and a bow and arrow to this stupidly OP suit and gun which fires lazer bolts with no cost. The eater of souls, skeletron and bee just collapsed to this combo. Though this is as far as I think i got before and I don't know how to get to the next boss.

Pre-hardmode is basically the tutorial now. :v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty much convinced martian probes don't exist anymore and I know that if I do somehow find one my stardust dragon will just instagib it anyway :(

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

benzine posted:

1.3.0.5 is live.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads%2F1-3-0-5.25621%2F

Some highlights:
- Added Celestial Sigil, a summoning item for the final boss. (craftable)
- Living leaf walls now count as safe for housing!
- Martian Drone now shows up on Rare Creature Finder.

"Buffed Phantasm a bit. (it really was bugged!)"

I don't know what about it was bugged but I'm cool with my instagib machine gun bow being even stronger.

Also maybe I'll be able to find the martians now

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wyvernil posted:

Speaking of arenas, I figured I should make one of my own. I had plenty of granite just from all the granite biome enemies dropping it, but I had to make a different world to dig up enough marble:

Once I get access to living fire blocks, I'll put really big flames on the top of the pillars, and the lava pit in the middle still needs to be filled in. Any other advice for building arenas? Eventually, I intend to put in a few heart lanterns/star bottles for regen.

I really appreciate the masterfully designed cleavage.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

symbolic posted:

...I love the Web Slinger. :negative:

I was alright with it too and used it throughout my new 1.3 run until I pretty much stopped using hooks after getting some wings, especially since I didn't really gently caress with the jungle until hardmode.

RareAcumen posted:

So, what's people's preferences for Crimson vs Corruption?

I favor the Corruption, mainly because it's hardmode enemies aren't nearly as annoying.

Edit: By that I mean they don't float through walls shooting at you.

I think I prefer corruption since it's less gross and also for some reason none of my "homeworlds" have ever had crimson. Too bad we don't have an option to just spawn the world with both.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 14, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

watho posted:

Oh my god, Hallowed Mimics have an absurdly too high amount of HP.

Yeah they're pretty tough but holy moly it's worth it if you can nab a Daedalus Stormbow from one. rip in peace destroyer

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Don't have your plantera arena be too clean and open; leave chunks of blocks around. Plantera's shooting attacks are stopped by blocks so if you have some cover around and are able to avoid touching Plantera then you're golden. I've never actually made any sort of arena for Plantera, instead I just find some area that has a bit of room (which the jungle always seems to have a few of) and go for it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks duder. I'll play around with that once I got down to hell

Also, Gemspark blocks did the trick on the eyes for now

Looks a bit better during the day, but whatever

When you get to the dungeon you should loot some alchemy lanterns and put them in the eyes.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Akett posted:

There's no real need to do either. I manged to kill a few pillars using beetle armor, vampire knives and the terra blade while wearing fishron wings, though you can use lesser wings if you can't beat Fishron. Just get all the buff potions you feel will help and make sure to use them intelligently. Personally I didn't need to use them for the ancient cultist, but the pillars themselves can get pretty tough even with buffs. The real trick though is that you want to pick one of the pillars to keep alive while you make weapons out of the fragments from the other three pillars. I recommend making the solar eruption from the solar fragments because the thing is powerful enough that I recall killing skeletron in two swings, the stardust dragon from the stardust fragments because it's just a help no matter what you're doing and is drat cool, and I don't have any meaningful input to give you on the vortex or nebula weapons because I don't use much of either. It should be noted that I have endgame gear and I still need to buff up at the nebula pillar, so keep that in mind.

I'd go vortex. The Beater is a fun gun that's basically a mega-megashark that occasionally also shoots grenades while the Phantasm absolutely melts poo poo. There's no real need to keep one of the pillars alive however, you can destroy them all and if you die to the moon lord then it doesn't matter, you can just kill the cultist and pillars again to have another go at the big guy or ignore the whole deal until you get better prepared.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The wiki says the car key has the same drop rate as all the other stuff from the saucer but I don't believe it. If you could get banners from bosses I'm pretty sure I would have at one by now. I'll do one more invasion then I'm gonna say gently caress it and just inventory edit it in.

Holyshoot posted:

There was a dude who beat the moon lord on expert hard mode hardcore. Let that sink in. Took him 8 worlds I think.

what the gently caress

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Don't be too down about the lunar dudes pushing your poo poo in, they're tough as gently caress. The fragments you get from loving up each pillar allows you to craft some crazy powerful gear. You said earlier you have turtle armor so you should go beat up the Golem a few times to get some beetle husks to upgrade into beetle armor.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ugh, I tried to have a little secret exit to my bedroom by way of actuators because I didn't want to use a door there but apparently that resets the spawn to the original point.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Re: actuator chat
Having an exit directly from the bedroom wasn't a big deal as I have a regular door entrance a few stories underneath, it would just have been a convenience to save a few seconds. There's not a whole lot of space to use to work around the issue without some remodeling or making stuff look cluttered so I'm just gonna dump the actuator idea.
Here's the building in question, just for reference:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Really tho, just get some souls of light and make hallowed mimics to get he Daedalus Stormbow, it'll vaporize the destroyer and it ain't half-bad against other hardmode stuff. Also while you're killing lightsoul dudes you can pick up a bunch of crystals and maybe get that crazy rod from the chaos elemental (lol jk no you won't).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RatHat posted:

No, probes are just kinda rare. What I did was I put a Water Candle on a sky island, popped a Battle potion, and then held another Water Candle and waited.

Also probes seem to be a good bit more common during bloodmoons.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Can you put furniture on top of trap doors? I kinda want to put everyone's chair above a trap door with a lava pool below and have all the trap doors wired up to one lever. Every once in a while just end everyone on a whim.

If trap doors don't work then actuators should do fine, although it won't be quite as stylish.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Nuebot posted:

As much as I like 1.3 I'm not really feeling most of these patch notes aside from the medusa one. It feels lot like those times in say, FFXI, when they had a super hard boss no one could kill they'd get mad and buff it any time someone did manage to kill it because they were "exploiting" the game to do so. Maybe the problem is that people have to exploit the game to kill your boss, because it's not fun to fight. The moon lord is kind of a poo poo boss especially if you're a melee character and the cool factor wears out quick because it has such a ridiculous amount of health.

Yeah I'm not sure why the moon lord keeps getting buffed with each mini patch. The moon lord is like the culmination of dumb bullet hell poo poo to where my eyes just start to glaze over and I just said gently caress it and linked a teleporter from my arena to a room with the nurse and just sat around shooting chlorophyte bullets until it died.

It's also compounded by the way that endgame bosses become increasingly silly to summon. Nobody wants to jump through a hundred hoops for just a chance to fight a boss and to then have to do it over again if they die.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Next Patch: When you die to the moon lord the game automatically formats your hard drive

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Your surface jungle might get wiped out but the jungle's chlorophyte ore will stop the spread of corruption into the underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Det_no posted:

It can be frustrating and if you haven't played the game before you'll probably end up spending a lot of time trying to come up with strategies that might or might nor work. Chances are good you'll also have to resort to guides just to see what kind of potions and things like that you can craft/farm for just so you can gear up for the big fights.

If you are ok with that, go ahead. If it sounds a bit tedious, you can find solace in the fact that most expert mode gear is not reaaaally mindblowingly good anyway (the increased drop rate is nice though.)

Also note that you can always create an expert mode world and hop on to that to grab the expert boss drops and drop rate if you're farming for an item. Unless the idea of 2x enemy health and damage sounds really fun to you for some reason then you're missing out on nothing but tedium by playing on normal.