Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Teleporters, zigzag minetracks. On the other hand my minecart elevator gave me a headache from the screen slamming back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Tried running the 1.3 tshock on my ubuntu VPS and it's way laggier than 1.2. Oh well, it did just come out, probably it'll improve.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Anyone noticed graphical glitching when you zoom the overlay map all the way in to 1:1 scale? After turning the map off again, half my world's blocks had holes in them to the background until I restarted the game. Hasn't replicated though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

drat, tshock for 1.3.0.6 came out this morning, and two hours later Terraria updated to 1.3.0.7. Cruel.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Vargs posted:

Took down Moon Lord last night, and while this portal gun is cool, I feel like the only way I'd get substantial use out of it is if it dropped out of the very first chest in the game before acquiring any grappling hooks, multiple jumps, flying mounts, wings, teleporters, or rods of discord. Seems like a waste to have it so incredibly late. Maybe if Terraria gets another major update at some point, I'll just inventory edit the thing in at the beginning of the playthrough.

This is what we did for our tshock server. Free portal guns issued at the start.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Section Z posted:

So the second magic mirror I found finally let me figure out that no, I wasn't absentmindedly storing stuff I meant to keep on me.

The "Quick stack to nearby chests" button will throw non stackable items into chests that have one in them. Realized the 4th time I was wondering where my Magic Mirror went, and then when I got back home finding both of them in the same chest

"Huh, I could have sworn I brought this with me. oh well." *Takes MM, deposites loot with stack to nearby button. Leaves without realizing that shoved his MM in a chest."

That button is totally worth that slight oops though, and knowing what is going on ahead of time will make dealing with it that much easier.

Quick stack has been driving me mad too - I don't even realise that another player on my server has stashed something somewhere and things disappear. I went back to the dungeon for 3 replacement water candles until I found the stack of them in a well-camoflauged chest.

Alt-clicking on items lets you mark them as a favorite and exclude them from quick stack.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I hadn't played with wires since before the smart cursor existed, and ahaha does that make the jungle temple traps a non-issue.

Also even without flying mounts the smart cursor placement makes longdistance wires much much easier, since you can jump up and down while running but still get a horizontal wire.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The most annoying thing about the melee armor is that getting the beetle shells is way easier than the turtle shells. Stupid turtles.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Samog posted:

block destruction in invasions would be fine with an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

Clowns were painful because blood moons just spontaneously happen - a block-destroying invasion would be fine if you just triggered it yourself. I'd love to see a goblin siege train.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The Martian mount makes killing the cultists infinitely easier.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Standing under a roof and holding down attack with a possessed hatchet made saucers trivial. Not much point in stopping them spawning since they're what drop all the stuff you're farming invasions for, right?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Motley posted:

Is there a suggested Let's Play that I can watch to get started in this game? I feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of content there is and the correct way to approach it. I've been mining around and upgrading my tools but that is about it so far. It would be nice to get some direction or see a list of goals to work towards or something like that.

If you want to limit just wiki crawling, talking to the guide will generally give you an idea of the next thing to do.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Vib Rib posted:

From personal experience my main tips for organizing inventories:
1. Use lots of different types of chests for at-glance organizing. Whatever makes sense for you. For instance I put fish and caught animals in a palm chest because it looks like the kind of place you might store fish? Meteor chests for accessories since they look 'special', etc.
2. Use paint on golden chests to make them look radically different. Keep the style but color-code for even more easy reference!
3. Most important tip of all, that I didn't realize until far too late: Name your chests. Giving a chest a custom name makes that name show up when you mouseover it even from far away, so you quickly stop having to open chests to see whcih is which.

Of course, all this became so much easier with the "deposit all to nearby chests" button. What a godsend that was.

Item frames are great for chest organisation - you can hang one above each chest and put a representative item in the frame. This means you can visually pick out swords vs bows vs potions vs etc etc etc....

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

graynull posted:

This may seem an odd question to ask here, but how does Minecraft hold up these days? I know it doesn't have nearly the progression content that Terraria does, but I am wondering if it might scratch some of that exploration/building itch while waiting for 1.3.6 (and the subsequent mods/tmodloader to update). I was also looking at No Man's Sky but am going to wait for a sale on that one.

e: asking here specifically to know if people who enjoyed Terraria liked it. I know there is a thread for the game.

FWIW I did this (a little minecraft back in the day, terraria until my brain bled crimson/hallow, and then tried to go back to minecraft) and it was a miserable experience - you'll need to go pick up a bunch of mods to get near base terraria quality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I assume the switch version can't connect to dedicated servers?