Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Meowmere and Star Wrath are pretty good.

Not as conventional swords, but they're pretty good.

I need to get a Last Prism, though. Kamehameha-ing is fun.

Trade you a Last Prism for an endless bucket of water.

And the charged blaster cannon you get from the flying saucer boss is more of a kamehameha than the Last Prism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

oddium posted:

work in progress

the switch on the tree pulls back a grave for fun time skeleton alchemy :unsmigghh:

Now that looks bad as gently caress.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know what? Having all your NPCs actually joining you in fighting off an invasion is SO loving METAL. :black101:

He can go straight to goddamn hell. I've probably sold off 30 or 40 Magic Mirrors :mad:

You guys think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Per the wiki the lava charm's supposed to be like 1/5 as common as other "rare" items but I've got dozens of magic mirrors and hermes boots and bands of regeneration. Dozens of EACH of those things. No lava charm. It's not THAT loving rare :negative:

Seriously, you need a lava charm? PM me sometime with your steam id and i'll give you one. Or are you one of those dudes that has to get it yourself with no help?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So I assume if I've hit silt I dug too deep at the start of the game? I ran into a pack of antlion chargers, which I'd never seen before. They completely obliterated me cause there was no way my lovely copper sword was gonna do jack to them.

I'm not sure what gear to be aiming for anymore. Right now I'm just trying to scrounge up enough tungsten for a set while looking for gold to complete a pickaxe.

EDIT: Is tin ore even worth digging up? I keep mistaking it for iron and its annoying me.

Naw, silt is just a whatever block. You can run it through an extractor to get gems and poo poo. If you ran into antlion chargers, you've gotten into the big antlion pit under the middle of the desert. Tin ore is maybe worth digging up. It makes some cool looking riveted metal plating if you like that sort of thing. Up to you. As to what gear to aim for, what gear do you have and what role are you wanting to play? (Fighter, Ranger, Mage, Summoner)

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean I could just use an inventory editor anytime I want, but at this point I've become unhealthily curious just how long it'll take.

But then I'm the guy who has insisted on getting the Sword of Kings on every single one of my hundreds of EarthBound playthroughs, so.

Fair enough. Figured you might have been an "all on my own" kinda guy. Alternatively, that you'd take a "legit" one, but not hack one. Here's hoping your next chest has one.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Wait until you meet electronical Mr. Skeltal on hard mode. You will be a sad panda.

I'm currently working on the solar pillar. gently caress that thing and its poo poo head minions who can go through blocks. Also screw the fire worm thing that 3 shots you if you jump around.

I get the feeling that the pillars were intended to be easier if you use the spec that matches the pillar. So melee for the solar pillar, ranged for the vortex, etc. I say this because, as a ranger, i never have any trouble at all with the vortex pillar, but there's annoying mobs at all the others - the teleporting lazer eye guys at the nebula pillar, the crawlipedes and the guys that ricochet your shots back at you at the solar pillar, etc. Ever since i busted out my old turtle armor and crafted the solar whip/sword, i've not died once at the solar pillar.

TL;DR - Try switching to melee for solar.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Mortvert posted:

Does any of you have any idea if you can craft endless bags of non-normal ammo like silver musket balls? I can't find any info on the wiki and I'm not keen on burning throught majority of my current resources just to see if thing like that exist.

Not that i've seen so far. Probably the devs intended for you to get infinite basic ammo only. Any advanced ammo gets used up. If it's an issue of cost, party rounds are cheaper than musket balls, do decent damage and have good velocity, plus they poo poo rainbow confetti all over the place so it looks like your target got wrecked by a pride parade.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Blackheart posted:

What are those roofs made of?

Dynasty wood shingles. Sold by the travelling merchant.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Excelzior posted:

you mean some people walk around with less than 198 buckets on them at a time

smh

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

You aren't alone. I've tried to use an inventory editor to give myself the Last Prism (I'm sorry but the Moon Lord is too much of an rear end in a top hat for me to handle) and every time I leave it in a chest, leave the world, and come back, it's gone. This has happened several times.

I've got a spare one. It's got crap stats though, you'll need to reforge it.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

graynull posted:

What are people finding compliments summoning builds well? I imagine most people are using magic to give them an active ranged attack that doesn't rely on specialized gear to keep your ammo/projectiles in stock. I've been messing around with some melee options as my multiplayer group approaches the end of normal mode.

Also, gently caress the 10min timer on the Bewitching Table. I've taken to just carrying one around with me to plop down and pick up since the buff timer is so short.

The Vortex beater or Phantasm with infinite ammo item or the Solar Eruption make good hard-hitting weapons that aren't reliant on mana. (to which summoner gear does not give a bonus)

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Sounds like a massive waste of money. Better off spending pocket change on party bullets.

He wanted an ammo independent option.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Falsum posted:

I don't get why people are so upset about it.

Instakills you from offscreen before you're even aware it exists. As has been said, this is legitimately bad game design, particularly so in a game which offers an ironman mode.

Example: I've died three times to petrify, and only survived one other time because i was in my hellevator and unpetrified before i hit bottom. At no point have i ever actually seen a medusa. I have seen medusa guts sometimes when my dragon kills them, but never once saw the living mob.

On the plus side, it's almost certainly going to be fixed in a patch.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Pakled posted:

Are you playing the game at a low resolution or something? I've never gotten petrified from offscreen and I play at 1920x1080.

Nope. Same 1920 x 1080

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
My base in my expert world isn't quite done yet, but most of the construction is finished (all but housing for the cyborg. he'll be staying in a spare room until i get some martian blocks)

To the left, you can see part of a skybridge i made to try and farm up some strange plants. No luck so far.

Bottom left is a glowing mushroom farm. Hit that switch on the pillar and the grass platforms retract, dumping all the mushrooms to the bottom.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Are random wyvern attacks still a thing, or did they change that at some point?

edit: really cool base though! Good idea with the mushfarm

Enemies have a lower chance to spawn if there are NPCs around, i think. I've only ever seen a wyvern during a blood moon. It didn't kill anything, but i accidentally killed my painter with the fire DOT from the Solar Eruption. (It spreads from its target to nearby legal targets, which include NPCs)

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird kind of question. What does the most damage? I would assume it's the stuff dropped by the final boss, but does anything outclass the yo-yo he drops?

The Phantasm bow, provided you stay on target, does consistently over 5000 DPS. It's the highest damage thing i've seen so far, and i do have the Terrarian.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
:siren: WARNING :siren:

DO NOT kill the cultists on your expert mode world unless you're ready to have your poo poo locked down by the solar pillar. Their attacks all do >200 damage, the solanians reflect projectiles, you can't put your back to a wall because the corites can phase through blocks, and you can't dodge because the crawlipedes will murder you if you take to the air. I'm about to try my last strategy before calling a bunch of people to help me clear the drat thing, and then i'm never doing it again. gently caress expert mode lunar events.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Whatever is in the top most left of your inventory gets used first.

Do the other ones first then and make some better weapons.
Also you can make a really good melee weapon that can attack everything through walls after you beat it once so it's much easier the next time.

I already had the best weapons and armor from a normal mode run. Anyway, my last strat worked, although i still died three times while implementing it.

edit: Also, the Solar Eruption ain't poo poo against expert solar pillar enemies. I used full summoner gear + Vortex Beater with chloro rounds from a small platform above the pillar itself.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 8, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
All right, expert Cthulhu down.

I'd like to reemphasize, for the record, that the real threats in the lunar events are the solar pillar trashmobs. Anything else can be handled by the One True God (Space Dragon) and His Prophets (Star Cells) backed by proper use of heavy firepower.

I got the SDMG, and i am disappoint. loving Hollywood silencer bullshit. It sounds like a wet fart. I'm sticking with the Vortex Beater, because it speaks with loving authority.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Why would you use other summons when you could just get a bigger space dragon?

I generally go with 5 segment Space Dragon + 5 Star Cells because the Star Cells can engage multiple targets and apply considerable damage over time. But for the Moon Lord (and other bosses), i use full-power Space Dragon, because there's only one target to fight.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
And why do you keep your booty in the bilge?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

Here's last night's little project

:black101: BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD :black101:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Just put a teleporter next to your nurse habitation pod and another teleporter a few screens away. Stand next to the teleporter when you fight him and medevac once you get down to 200 hp or so. If that's too cheesy for you then decelerate on your mine cart to fight and speed back up when you need to regenerate. Moon Lord's biggest weakness is that he only despawns if you die.

Yeah, no more teleporting tricks. I just tested it to see what "cannot escape the star god's wrath" means, and it means he teleports on top of you. Minecart track or UFO mount only kids.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone know how this guy got the variation in background color, especially in the church on the left? Is it paint of some sort?

That's definitely paint. A lot of the foreground blocks are painted too, particularly the white brick walls over on the left.

Also, GOD drat. :stare: That's probably the best one i've seen so far, and there are a lot of really good ones posted here.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Akett posted:

Those torches look like 1.1 torches, meaning that those walls are a mix of grey brick, mudstone and iridescent brick. The lack of any sloped blocks in the image are a giveaway that it's pre-1.2, that design would look a lot better with slopes.

So those white bricks are what, old silver bricks, you reckon? It's still p badass.

edit: In particular, that spiral staircase in the wizard tower. It looks like a combination of planked walls, wooden walls, and wooden platforms. And it's bad as gently caress.

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 10, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright I'm a big idiot so someone explain to me why this doesn't work properly.

I just wanted to set up some pressure plates so that the gate would open and close as I leave. Seems like a simple wiring project that a child could handle but I guess not. The gate opens just fine, but it doesn't close when I cross over the pressure plate on the inside. It does however close in my face when I cross back over it. If I set it up only with one pressure plate on the outside its a similar problem; it opens but doesn't close when I cross back over it. So when I try to enter again later it just shuts in my face because the door was still open.

I don't get why this happens. I mean why do the pressure plates just decide to not work when crossed from a certain direction?

Kraken, can you set up a multiplayer? I'll hop in and take a look at it. Just invite me on steam. Name's Sjonnar, just like here.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Tenbux McGee posted:

Jesus friggin Christ the goblin summoner can gently caress right the hell off. That was an exercise in absurd frustration. I can't avoid him because he keeps making more and more terrain ignoring fists. Whittling down the fists takes a long time because most of my weapons are ineffective and I have to mostly ignore the regular goblins. Chasing him to make him shut the hell up massively prolongs the invasion, and the sonuvabitch usually reappeared with full health if I died trying to dogfight him. The best part, though, is getting gibbed by flying fists immediately on respawning. About three times. Consecutively.

I might have been horrifically under equipped when the pirates invaded for the first time, but at least I could hide indoors from the ship and kill the men through improvised murder holes. I'm not sure what I should be doing against this.

Well, i don't know what level of progression you're at, but i'm gonna assume you're in hardmode, because i don't think pirates invade in normal. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.)
That being assumed, i'll also assume you're in early hardmode, and haven't beaten the mechanical bosses yet. If that's true, then get thee to a spider cave, and there farm the spiders for their fangs. You'll need 76 fangs in total to craft spider armor, spider staff, and queen spider staff.

Then hunt down the queen bee in the underground jungle. You want the bow called Bee's Knees and/or lots of beenades (you can craft beenades from beeswax and grenades).

Next time the little bastards invade, summon your spiders (you should be able to do 4 at that point), drop a queen spider turret, and start spamming beenades/bow-fired bee swarms at them. Also, litter the ground with those spikey balls they all drop. Keep to the air to dodge the summoner's fists, and watch your army of scuttling and swarming horrors devour the little fucks alive.

Now practice your evil laugh, you'll need to get good at it early so that later when the One True God (Space Dragon) solos the final boss for you, you can cackle like a proper villain who lets his minions do all the work.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

My little town. Ive had this game for ages, but finally got about to playing it. Ive beat Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, Queen Bee, and Eye of Cthulu so far. Ive got a full set of shadow armor, but right now im rocking the meteor set with the space gun.My next goal is to find the goblin tinkerer and the stylist, plus build most of the jungle set that i need.

I like the Dragon Warrior slime house.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Making a dirt skybridge is definitely the way to go for strange plants now. I got 5 or 6 in a few minutes just by going back and forth over mine. Now my character looks like a goddamn mess.

Sublime

How far up is your skybridge? It used to be that the fuckers wouldn't spawn within 350 blocks from another dye plant, which necessitated building high in space. (though that may have changed with the new patch) But i never got any spawns there either, so now i'm wondering if they won't grow on the space layer.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not the only one who generates throwaway worlds just to chop up all the wood, right? Right??

Right. I've clearcut so many worlds at this point, i'm basically a Captain Planet villain.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anything else that carries the night vision effect in the helmet slot? Cause I'm too used to having it on now even though that helmet has been horribly outclassed. I put on real armour for bosses though.

Nope. But there's a potion that does the same thing.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

King Doom posted:

Wait, so this new patch fucks up the use spikes and honey to kill moon lord technique?

Dammit, anyone else know any ways to kill that thing?

Get the UFO mount, highest summoner armor you can, Stardust Dragon staff, Vortex Beater, and several stacks of chlorophyte rounds. Summoner gear like Necro Scroll / Papyrus Scarab is a big plus.

Begin by summoning the One True God to the highest level you can get him. Fly all the way to one side of the map or another on your UFO mount. Begin flying toward the center of the map and summon the Moon Lord. Continuously climb or dive while flying because your UFO mount is slightly faster than TotallyNotCthulhu whilst doing so. Learn to switch between climbing and diving rapidly to dodge random projectiles like the summoned eyes. When you see the central eye on his head open, get ready, he's a-chargin his lazor. When he fires the eye laser, fly up and over his head to outrun it. You should now be going the opposite direction as you were before. Continuously fire your Vortex Beater at him throughout the fight. I rarely drop below half life using this method and even more rarely need to pop a potion. It's all a matter of training - the more you practice, the better you'll get.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

They keep nerfing guns and making bows stronger. I don't get it.

Guns have access to homing chlorophyte rounds, thus negating the need to actually aim. Bows must still be aimed, plus they have an annoying projectile drop to make that harder.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Stardust set brings you to 6, plus the Papyrus Scarab and Pygmy Necklace makes 8. If Papyrus Scarab and Necromantic Scroll stack then you can get 9.

They do. I'm running full Stardust set, Scroll, and Scarab, and i have base 8 minion count.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Were you fighting the solar pillar? The solanians reflect projectiles when they're spinning.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

RatHat posted:

Too bad Not-Star Platinum does completely horrible damage.

It's not there to do damage. It's a tank. Anything hit by that burst changes target to the stand, which can't be damaged, so they basically just path back and forth on top of it until the One True God gets around to killing them.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Also mix your bombs with pink gel to make bouncy bombs. They are much better for "fun".

FTFY

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the Dungeon Guardian has a drop now? How are you supposed to kill it?

Goomba stomp him to death with the slime mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Inge posted:

After gearing up a bit for quality of life purposes I started an expert world.

I'm kind of modelling my base off tourian off metroid but I'm not loving the colour of the tin plating with the heavy meteorite / amber stonespark asthetics. I kind of want it to look clean on the inside, but the exterior is actively chewing into the surrounding earth (I loving love cogs)

Any suggestions before I rip into it?

Paint the tin plating the color you want it.