Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

So having never played the game for longer than about an hour prior to 1.3, I'm currently at the Mech bosses in expert mode the first time. Once I stopped being bad at dodging the insanely painful head on Destroyer, the Twins is the only one of the three who's given me any trouble at all and boy is it the most aggravating thing in the world.

I built like a 5k-block asphalt bridge to try the run-like-hell-and-shoot-it-to-death strat, then changed my mind and decided to hell with breaking faith to my yoyo build. It's just aggravating. That fight has 0 margin for error. I'm going on a dozen+ attempts of it, about 7 or 8 of which all wipe out on the same part -- the last 25% of the fight or so when Retinazer is down and Spazmatism goes apeshit. When I tried Spazmatism first, I don't even get that far.

I'm still gradually getting better at dodging Spazmatism. It's been the most challenging part of this game by several orders of magnitude, though. Only other who came even close was pre HM Skeletron, who still only took maybe 4 or 5 attempts and would have gone even faster if I'd properly prepared for it right off the bat instead of getting in a hurry.

If you have wings and the eye of cthulhu shield you can fly over Spazmatism when he's spewing flames and then use the shield dash to get out of the way unharmed. Expert Retinazer is much harder for me, he's shooting minishark speed lasers at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Is it even possible to dodge Spaz's chain charges without a dash accessory? o_O

Asphalt.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Supremezero posted:

You can't legitimately have Asphalt at that point anyway. Wings are plenty.

If you kill the destroyer or prime the Steampunker will move in and then you can make asphalt for the twins.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

It was generated like this? The ocean can overwrite the dungeon?

Worldgen seems to have more hiccups in 1.3, like areas where two biomes are supposed to meet, but one of them spawned a cave, so it's just a bunch of floating blocks.

Honestly that submerged dungeon looks cool, unless cultists won't spawn on it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The full terraria soundtrack is on steam now for 10$ and the 1.3 tracks can be found on bandcamp.

It's a little weird that they never used the 1.2 Lunar Boss theme for Moon Lord or the pillars, but his new theme is good too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Any tips for early game Expert Mode before I dive in? I'm experienced with the game, just looking for a challenge.

Get bombs+demolitionist and bomb your way to some corrupt orbs/crimson hearts ASAP, the usual starter gear is frustratingly bad against normal enemies.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got a request, does anyone have a link to a video, or have a video of, the sequence after you kill the final Pillar when Impending Doom Approaches, with the music warbliness and video blurriness/desaturating, followed by the Moon Lord showing up? I want to show a friend that specific scene, as it's one of my favorite moments in the game, but all the videos I'm finding have some lovely, often british, person overacting a gimmick with the audio muted/super quiet on the video itself.

You can use a Celestial Sigil to summon the moon lord at any time, which also starts with the minute long "Impending Doom" blur.

There's this one with a bit of text at the bottom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI9AyUPsGYs

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

You can't get anything useful out of your floating islands before doing the dungeon, which you really shouldn't do before the eye and eater.

They removed the locked chests from islands in 1.2(?). You can open floating island chests without a key now. And floating island loot is definitely worth it if you can find it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

The boss monsters seem pretty difficult so far. Not sure if I need to find better gear, or just make like :darksouls: and bash my head against the boss until I get their attacks and movements down pat. I'm currently wearing the Ancient Shadow set, or whatever the one that the Eater of Souls guys drop. Sword wise, I've got a broadsword that I forged from the ore that the Chthulu Eye dropped.

Another option is to ask a friend to join your game. As long as there's another person nearby, the boss won't despawn. Jolly cooperation :darksouls:

(Just make sure that he's around the same equipment level as you, a guy in full Vortex going ham on an early game boss isn't cool.)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-state-of-1-3-1-for-pc.42306/

A cool webm, a list of 1.3.1 bugs and 1.3.2 confirmed. :shepface:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

symbolic posted:

Never forget original Spectre Armor. :smith:

O.G. Vampire knives

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Shadow Chests.

And I'm also pretty sure there's something else, like you have to do some zones in a specific order now?

Well, I honestly can't think of any pre-hardmode skips outside of bombing corruption early or doing a queen bee with garbage equipment.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Pre-hardmode is more open than ever since you can fish for a molten pick equivalent and some other strong weapons.

Oh right you can actually break all of pre-hardmode and later all of early hardmode by fishing and saving your crates. Open the crates after you enter hardmode and get a million HM ores.

e: welp

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

graynull posted:

I'm curious what the "unfuck the world" thing is. I've always wanted world gen options, like crimson or corruption, copper or tin and such. I may pick this up again after the patch, though I need to figure out a 'balanced' starting set of tools to make early building not feel so tedious and lovely. I may just drop in the Laser Drill or Mining Mount just to use for town building and excavating only. If I don't I always end up spending way too much time trying to get ready to build and end up never playing the game.

Also, is there a certain depth (or height) at which goblin armies and such won't be able to get into your base? I always hated trying to make separate npcs homes and trying to defend that dumbshit against invasions and bosses.

Underworld. :getin:

Just go to the edge of the cavern layer to be sure, I know that invasion npcs sometimes spawn near the top of the underground layer.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Man, I love these newbie trip reports. Seeing people discovering their way through the game really makes me wish I could play it for the first time again. Ever since release I've played almost every major patch to completion, nibbling on the new content, but it sure would be something to start totally blank and see everything in the game, as it is now, with new eyes. :allears:

Spending 14 hours gathering gold gear for 3 people and then building bridges over every single corruption chasm, because I'm a moron who kept falling into every single chasm.

And then we all died to Skeletron. :v:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You can also use lead instead of iron and vice versa for every non-cosmetic recipe.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Xenaero posted:

Oh goodness this all makes me wanna play again!

1.3.1 in 2 days, too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Get all four wrenches, a wire cutter, 60 wire, the weird mechanical orb thing from the Mechanic and a ruler from the Goblin and make The Grand Design. It basically lets you do everything with wires in one slot, and you don't even have to eqiup it.

e; Fixed popular NPC Housing exploit.

It's over

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 22, 2016

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

So before in 1.3 when I needed to make a bunch of water somewhere because there was no good fishing lake in a biome, I'd place blocks like so:
   X
X     X

with a couple more layers as needed and just spam right click until I had enough. This doesn't work since the update. Is there no other way to dupe liquids besides pumps now? With all the QOL improvements they've made the last few updates it really sucks that there's an entire mechanic based around fishing but having a large enough lake isn't guaranteed so you have to manually haul water across the map.

Make one end of your lake like this:

X
X
X \
X X
X X X X X X X

For some reason the diagonal block sometimes "divides" water like the old setup would, you just put your mouse above the \ and time your clicks so the water falls a bit down, but you catch the stuff on top.

Alternatively, do fisherquests and get the infinite water bucket.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You get 100 medals per event after either Plantera or the Golem. Be warned that the final wave has a pretty loving tough boss. He dropped a cool melee weapon with a right click alternate attack, which is as powerful as my nebula pickaxe. :goleft:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/854458622704799746

1.3.5 tomorrow????

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The moon events and Duke Fishron are largely obsolete these days. Any post-Golem content trivializes them and a lot of things available after Plantera can get through them with some effort (like the Terra Blade).

Duke Fishron is still pretty good. The homing razorpool spell he can drop is very good for clearing the garbage mobs in events, but other than that it's a bit meh.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, seems like mobile's permanently 3 years behind now at best. Might be getting brought up to 2 years behind sometime later this year maybe.

They're trying to fix that, but they're still not sure what to do with some of the mobile exclusive stuff

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/one-terraria-an-introduction-future-impacts.61935/

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/this-is-the-end-otherworld-development-cancelled.68594/

Otherworld is dead. 1.3.6 is still in development.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I liked it better when the story was Bloodborne But With Blocks

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Anyone got any hints for finding the Dungeon in a 5162020 world?

It's under a living tree with special coloured leaves. I've seen brown leaves, but heard about yellow and other colours too

It's the only weird coloured tree in 05162020

edit: also the Chippy Couch might not be near the Old man, I found it deep within the dungeon

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

There's also a good new early game summoning staff (and fishing rod and a weird bow) from fishing during blood moons.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fish up hellcrates, get wet bombs. Turn the wet bombs to dry bombs and fill the dry bombs with liquids; bam, easy lake of lava/honey/water.

I haven't even used the infinite buckets since 1.4

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What kind of accessories should I be gunning for in hardmode as a mage?

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Mana_Cloak

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

What are the conditions to spawn a sandstorm event? Some websites says wind and rain, others says wind and no rain, and there's no option to force spawn one with Journey mode.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Copycat Zero posted:

What's that block type you're using for the building and the background elements? I'm mulling over what to build my graveyard house out of (since I've been trying to keep the structures biome-appropriate, like building my tundra settlement out of boreal wood), and the best I can think of for "spooky aesthetic" is crimtane.

What about spooky wood from the pumpkin moon event?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Khanstant posted:

why do i constantly leak confetti?

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Hair_Dyes

did you put on a party hair dye?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm on journey mode, I have half the quest fish duped. I have final armor, the sdmg, zenith, the flying star pad thing and the flying insignia from the empress. I have terraspark boots, and I completed the ankh shield legitimately. I still only have one of the loving fishing ingredients for the cell phone and since I'm at a point where I can take down the moon lord in about 5 seconds I kind of don't care to finish at this point.

You can do rapid fishing quests in journey mode by skipping to dawn, get a quest. Then you catch it or get a duped fish, turn it in, change time to midnight and back to dawn. Repeat.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

I'm at the point of early hardmode where you get into better gear&weapons and need to reforge them which sucks my money dry instantly. How do you guys like to go about farming/earning enough money?

Farming the destroyer with a piercing weapon is a decent way to make a few plat in bars/souls. Pirate invasion enemies also drops a ton of cash and items that sells for a fair amount of money

The brain/eater of worlds also drops a ton of demonite/crimtane and secondaries, that sells for a fair bit

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...96#post-2084933

Here's some of the accessory rebalances coming to 1.4.1. The hero shield buff still seems a bit weak compared to the frozen shell shield, but everything else looks pretty good.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Happy Thread posted:

But right now, explosives are the ultimate in "reliable" (you can buy them cheaply from the demolitionist in 100% of runs) and in "powerful" (you can buy dynamite and kill all bosses up to Plantera).

Explosives also kill you constantly if you don't know what you're doing, and stuff like WOF with dynamite is way trickier than it looks.

Grenades might be a bit overtuned for early game, but bombs and dynamite are in a fine place for the average player. You can kill stuff with em, but they also break your poo poo and hurt you

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Flimf posted:

can you make sticky-dynamite and stick it to EoW/The Destroyer?

Yep, just combine the dynamite with pink gel :q:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Memento posted:

hopefully without reading the description first

also the fishing quest achievements going 1, 10, 25, 50, 200 is bullshit

At least now you can use journey mode to easily terraform lakes in every biome, speed up time (12 sec/day with a bed) and dupe master bait.

Doing it in 1.3 by juggling 4 characters on three worlds was maddening.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

They updated the Guide for 1.4 with hints about all main bosses/npc/progression type events. A few of the npc requirements and invasion event hints are too vague, but the rest will point players to the next big thing they should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

friendship ended with finch staff, now flinx staff is my new best friend

Early game summoner owns now, you can actually do stuff besides rush for a hellforge to get an imp/hope you can beat the bee.