Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just fired up 1.3 fifteen minutes ago and all I can say is :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm not playing on expert mode but I am noticing WAY more explosives traps underground than I'm used to seeing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Geomancing posted:

Speaking of the NPCs doing things in battle, anyone know what the Dryad does during invasions and events like the Blood Moon? She's channeling a green spell with a massive leaf swirl around her that covers most of the screen in two concentric circles. Haven't seen it affect enemies; is it like a healing spell?

She must do this when any enemy is nearby, not just during events, because I have definitely seen her doing this when no events are going on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Okay, I'll risk embarrassment and ask.

The Lava Charm is actually a thing that is in the game, right? I have 180 hours in this game thus far and have yet to see one. The wiki says it's in cavern gold chests; is that accurate? I know it's supposed to be ultra-rare but I've probably opened 500 gold chests by now for gently caress's sake :mad:

TheOmega posted:

As someone who never bothered to get past the Wall of Flesh in my original 1.2 world, I'm looking to start a new playthrough. Would you guys recommend Expert mode? I'm looking for a challenge but I don't want it to be insane.

Definitely not. If you want to up the challenge and you've already pretty much cleared hell out then killing Wall of Flesh and proceeding through normal world hardmode would be the next thing.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 3, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For pre-hard mode weapons I really like the Starfury.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

Can confirm that fishing owns. I took a break from normal progression to try it out and ended up with a mount and hermes boots (which I hadn't been able to find previously) within the first five quests. Of course, getting to the ocean to wake up the angler can be a hassle on a 100% fresh character, but it's not unmanageable.

I have about 40 pairs of Hermes Boots I've collected during my vain efforts at acquiring a Lava Charm, do you want one? :argh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blackheart posted:

According to the wiki the Starfury got buffed to 31 damage, but I just found one and it's weaker than that, even when I got lucky and reforged it into legendary. Was it de-buffed or something?

I'm building a Sky Railroad to find all the islands / get quick transportation :smithicide:

I noticed this also. It's also supposed to have a recharge time, says the wiki, but there isn't one beyond "you can only be shooting one star at a time."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I Said No posted:

You don't have to reel in the thing when it pops up. Just sit and wait for something you want to appear, then reel it in.

Yeah but it's not like you lose but .25 seconds reeling the dumb bass in and it's worth 5 silver so :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Platforms are otherwise fine but you have to have at least one solid floor block per "house".

Edit gently caress beaten twice :argh:

I didn't realize this until like two days ago but stairs also divide rooms.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know what? Having all your NPCs actually joining you in fighting off an invasion is SO loving METAL. :black101:

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Re: The Lava Charm chat from a couple pages ago I myself have never found one either.

So my friend needed a Magic Mirror for himself and we started exploring in our Expert World where we're up to WoF. First Golden Chest we come across I tell him "You can open it". He goes over and says "Hmm. Intrepid Lava Charm, what's this?"

:suicide:

But he's a nice guy and he said I could have it, so I crafted the Night's Edge for him.

He can go straight to goddamn hell. I've probably sold off 30 or 40 Magic Mirrors :mad:

You guys think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Per the wiki the lava charm's supposed to be like 1/5 as common as other "rare" items but I've got dozens of magic mirrors and hermes boots and bands of regeneration. Dozens of EACH of those things. No lava charm. It's not THAT loving rare :negative:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 5, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sjonnar posted:

Seriously, you need a lava charm? PM me sometime with your steam id and i'll give you one. Or are you one of those dudes that has to get it yourself with no help?

I mean I could just use an inventory editor anytime I want, but at this point I've become unhealthily curious just how long it'll take.

But then I'm the guy who has insisted on getting the Sword of Kings on every single one of my hundreds of EarthBound playthroughs, so.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

dabre_aiamim posted:

According to the wiki, living leaf walls don't count as valid walls, no matter who makes them.

This is correct. Retarded, and correct.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

How avant garde. Whats your map size and difficulty?

Just wondering, since I stopped messing around with expert, what is the smartest fast track to deal with the difficulty in that game if you start out fresh in an expert map?

I haven't messed with expert at all since I am not an expert, but from what I hear the answer to your question is: fishing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So you only get crimson or corruption in a single map, yes? So you can only have EoW or BoC in a single map?

Correct. You can't spawn them with the relevant spawning item unless you're in the correct biome, either.

e: Actually if for some strange reason you want to do all the work involved, transplanting a Corruption biome into a Crimson world and then summoning Eater of Worlds there SHOULD work, far as I know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Greece biome is pretty terrifying, the Medusas are a real bitch to fight.

Eh. They're too drat common. I mean they're kinda cool and dangerous and different but in practice what happens is you can never ever safely jump anywhere near a marble biome, you can only use your hook to get around or every jump is risking instant unavoidable death. Once the novelty's worn off it gets to feeling kind of bullshit.

Fakeedit: should have started this post with "1.3 is SO FREAKING COOL, but..."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Requoting myself. Does no one else really have this problem?

Sorry man but I've never heard of it. Probably need to do the standard verify game cache, uninstall and reinstall thing :negative:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No doubt a big nerf to them is coming soon, but for now I for one am enjoying the hell out of my grotesquely overpowered yo-yo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

Bonus mess: I have no idea what's in any of those chests so I always have to go through all of them if I'm trying to find something specific :sigh:

It really helps to spend five minutes sorting them out and then name 'em.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I like how you walled off the Clothier with stone.

It is such a dick move to do that to the poor Clothier :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think medusas might be one of the most poorly designed enemies I've ever seen in a game. Am I gonna have to wall off every marble cave like its a loving quarantine zone?

Marble caves seem common enough that likely as not wherever you try to build a hellevator you're going to run through (or at least near) one. Which means like a third of the time at least when you try to use it you are going to die.

Oh and fun fact, walling it off doesn't help. Medusa gives no shits whether she actually has line of sight to you. If she's on your screen she can stone you and if you're in midair you're dead. If you're not, you might be dead anyway depending what else is going on around you.

I have to agree that "if this enemy appears on your screen you instantly die and there is nothing you can do about it short of investing hours in convoluted countermeasures" is a pretty bad design decision. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 7, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Excelzior posted:

can't you just wear wings, removing all fall damage

I mean, I don't, cuz I got a loving spaceship and all. But couldn't you?

Hahaha! Nope! Medusa's stone attack disables wings or grapples, disables all fall damage reduction, and dramatically increases your fall damage. If you fall more than like 15 blocks, 400 HP is not enough to save you. gently caress you, player! :cawg:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is there even a tell for her pertrification attack?

Yeah, it looks like this:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the NPCs being disabled from going up stairs. I want to watch my NPCs hanging out together dammit :kimchi:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

NPCs can and do go up stairs. I'm not sure what exactly that patch note was referring to.

I watched my NPCs in my three-level base with nine-high ceilings/stairs for a while and I don't think so. They start climbing the stairs but they always fall off halfway up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Heh, I just a few minutes ago created a new Large world in my endless quest for a lava charm, and while tunneling straight down ran right into the Stylist.

She should be sitting on a floor somewhere in the spider cave. Might be on the other side of a wall, if you haven't thoroughly explored around the (apparent) edges of it yet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So if you fill a body of water with dirt or any block really does it just erase the water that was there? If it doesn't does the water just exist in that block forever? I noticed every time I load up the world it says its settling liquids, would that pull the water above the blocks I filled it with? I don't know why I'm so curious about the mechanics here but I am. If someone knows please tell me.

It's easy enough to test this. In fact, I just did, and the answer is: the water continues to exist in that block until you exit and re-enter the world, at which point the water behind the block disappears.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Does she ever reappear? I saw her when I first got into hardmode while going past an already-explored spider cave but I got the gently caress out of dodge because those black recluses kick some rear end and I'm pretty sure she got ripped.

Yeah, she does respawn. Eventually. If you really want her around you'll have to go back and explore all your spider caves.

You can rush in and talk to her/untie her and then rush right back out if you want; if she gets ganked by the spiders a new Stylist will soon spawn in an open house. (I learned this via watching the newly-freed Mechanic get horribly butchered.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LegoMan posted:

Because there's a platform they bump their head on. Try it yourself. Hold up and the direction of the stairs, if there's a platform you'll fall off.

Yes, this is so. If I hold only the direction of the stairs and not up, however, I do not fall off.

The changelog makes this all confusing; I don't know whether this is a conscious design decision or if for some reason programming NPCs to navigate stairs-with-platforms the way players can is hard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nuebot posted:

By the way, when it comes to kill counts, projectiles such as the things that spiral out from the Terrerian don't count. You have to kill them with the actual Yo-Yo. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get kills on some enemies I had a hard time hitting directly.

Weird. I've gotten "you killed your 50th Black Slime!" or whatever and the accompanying banner when something just falls into lava and dies with no input at all from me while I'm digging up silt or something. Just happened two days ago with skeletons.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

GrunderGretch posted:

Played for 8 straight hours at work today, got some really fun gear. Golden pickaxe, nightvision helmet, grappling hook, 2 special boots, demonite ore..

And then I come home; everythings gone.. i've got wooden armor again.

Steam cloud may or may not be finicky.

It hurts to live.

It's my first time playing terraria and this really put a damper on things.

This is why God gave us inventory editors.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Word of warning to people

Terraria does not like you stealing resources from other worlds and bringing it back to your main one. I spent hours mining Granite biomes. had about 40 stacks ready to so i could, for the first time ever, make a REAL building.

Moved all the granite to my primary world, had to go do some shopping, and when i came back, the Granite was gone from my primary world chests. I checked the temp chests i made to hold it on the other worlds, and those were empty as well.
Guess its time to go back to starbound :(

I do this constantly and haven't noticed anything disappearing. Though currently I'm building a full NPC town deep in the caverns of the large world I made specifically to look around for a lava charm, just for the hell of it.

Anyway, you did the work so don't feel bad about using an inventory editor to get the granite you need.

Unrelated: I understand that having the Dryad nearby when you're fighting bad guys gives you a +8 defense bonus. That would seem pretty handy against the early game bosses (Skeletron and BoC come to mind for sure). Anyone tried moving her into a house in their arena for this purpose?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, they're nice but they keep running out without us realizing and we're too earlygame to just mass-produce them. Are there any infinite duration mods, then? Like we're not even in lead armor yet and we've already died tons of times to instant death explosive traps.

v That'll work too, but I don't know any of the hack engines.

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ is pretty drat easy to use. Always back up files just in case, of course.

Once I've reached the point where the traps are a bigger threat to my life than the critters (which is pretty drat early, though it may never come on expert mode), I usually keep a pressure plate in my hand while I'm running around exploring caves.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, that was pretty drat unclear writing on my part. What I meant was--I'm not an expert and so I don't play on expert--but I imagine enemies can very quickly kill you on expert even with decent early-game gear. On normal mode there really isn't anything in the cavern that can quickly kill you once you get as far as Silver Armor or so, besides the drat spiders (and now the loving retarded Medusas, but there's no defense against them at all). So I usually go around carrying a pressure plate (which reveals the wires all traps are rigged up with, though you need at least a smidgen of light to see them by).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I got a Nymph banner from the second Nymph I ever saw. So that was neat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

kvx687 posted:

Preset. There's also a maximum size you can get from planting acorns and it's fairly small, so if you want giant trees you need to preserve the ones already on the map.

I'm not the only one who generates throwaway worlds just to chop up all the wood, right? Right??

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Well, my world somehow died.

Using the Steam Cloud?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Or just a drat "shut your eyes" button that blacks out the screen and you can flail around until she's dead and then open your eyes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Does the Stylist only spawn on Hardmode? I've went to my (fairly small) spider nest on my world multiple times and haven't been able to find her.

There are numerous spider nests even in a small world. She's not *always* around but she usually is; keep looking around and you'll find her. She's available right from the beginning of the game (making her and the Angler I believe technically the first two NPCs other than the guide that you can obtain in a new world, although practically a new character can't survive a spider nest.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 10, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

graynull posted:

Anyone else in multiplayer getting bugs with the expert mode boss bags? We were catching a friend up and the wall of flesh dropped a bag with nothing in it for me, then we killed the twins and 3/4 of us got no bags at all.

This was a bug that was supposed to have been fixed in the last patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

My dumb base is basically done. Is there any way to coax the Party Girl into my lair or do I just have to get lucky?

If I'm counting right that means to get the Party Girl before hardmode you have to get *all* of the pre-hardmode NPCs, as I believe there are 15 of them including the Party Girl.

Guide, Merchant, Nurse, Demolitionist, Painter, Stylist, Dye Trader, Arms Dealer, Angler, Dryad, Clothier, Tinkerer, Mechanic... am I forgetting anyone there?

Fakeedit after wiki check: Forgot the Witch Doctor.