Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

OH MY loving GOD MEDUSA, NOT NOW :argh: :argh: :argh:

I overkill sealed the entire marble biome nearby in dirt. I sealed all below entrances to my underground fight room with the queen bee by shooting the larva.

There's no such thing as sealing biomes. Terraria biome works this way: "are there at least X blocks belonging to biome type? If yes, then spawn things from that biome". Medusas and hoplites don't appear inside marble areas, they appear when there is marble nearby. You want to neutralize a marble biome, you don't fill it with dirt, you mine the hell out of it until there's no marble left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mailer posted:

It took me 63 fishing quests to get my phone.

Took me exactly 70 fishing quests. I got myself four Fisherman's Pocket Guides before this lousy Angler gave me a Weather Radio and, finally, a Sextant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So far I love the Arkhalis sword and I wish there were more powerful variants of it for when I go into hardmode.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kvx687 posted:

Will the Groom only spawn if your character is male? I've had about six brides show up so far and not a single groom yet.

Both Grooms and Brides will spawn regardless of your character's gender.

The first two Blood Moons I got in 1.3 I only had Brides show up, and then on the third I had two Grooms in quick succession, as in as soon as the first was killed a second showed up. The RNG gods are fickle and capricious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Things I have discovered about Medusas:
* Getting turned into stone makes you vulnerable to fall damage regardless of how many lucky horseshoe-type accessories you have
* Looks like you even take more damage than normal, though that could just be the added damage of getting turned into stone
* It takes you out of your cart, so they can kill you while you're zapping around at 66 mph on an incline
* The Arkhalis slashing effect is not stopped by being turned into stone (though it is stopped when the debuff ends). The arkhalis and a bunch of minions is therefore the best way to hunt down the horrible medusas

Mzbundifund posted:

You cannot. One easy way (well, easier than randomly wandering at least) to find statues now is to drink a dangersense potion and go spelunking in the underground desert biome. The underground desert biome doesn't have any traps or spiderwebs in it, so whenever you see a danger sparkle it'll be a pressure plate in a house hooked up to a functional statue of some kind.

I keep finding abandoned cabins with a pressure plate hooked to a chest. Is there something that's supposed to happen when a chest (not a chest statue, a plain old golden chest with loot in it) is activated? Or is it just a bug in the world generator?

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Supremezero posted:

Are you sure it's not just passing through the chest on the way to a statue, light, or trap? Or the door?

Yep, sure. Maybe it's chests overriding the statues.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well that sucks. Would replacing everything with wood/living wood work? What's "safe" in terms of the Wall of Flesh's death effect?

Anything that is not sand (including sandstone and hardened sandstone), ice (but snow is safe), grass (except mushroom grass I think?), and stone. Note that corruption/crimson/hallow are stopped by dirt if they can't grow their grass on it. Silt on the path of the "V" is converted to altered sand, but otherwise safe as well.

Also note that player-created blocks are always fine. Sand and ice are not safe, but sandstone bricks and ice bricks are safe. Even blocks such as ebonstone bricks, pearlstone bricks, flesh blocks, demonite bricks, crimtane bricks, etc. are perfectly safe and they won't change the biome.

Supremezero posted:

That said, it's possible that Smooth Marble doesn't create a biome. Not sure. It works that way with Ebonstone Bricks vs Ebonstone Blocks.

Smooth marble and smooth granite is fine, in the same way that meteorite bricks don't spawn meteor heads. The only exception to that rule is snow bricks can create a snow biome; however they're still a safe construction material for housing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bluhman posted:

At this rate I'm considering trying to figure out a good torch or small wall detail that'd double suitably for a doorknob, and just replace those doors with six pieces of wooden wall.

A single platform, like in this pic from the OP?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like the next content update is going to prominently feature mechanics
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/get-wired-for-terraria-1-3-1-calling-all-terrarian-mechanics.29865/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've just discovered about the funny effects you can get from angled blocks and platforms, which fans have called hoiks and it's quite impressive the things they've made with it. Nonsensical and pointless, but impressive.

I'd never have the patience to set up one of these things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Put actuator on a trap tile, actuate it, then remove the actuator and the trap will remain forever in the background. (If you leave the actuator, it'll wink in and out each time it's activated since the actuator will get the same wire signal the trap itself does). One good thing to do is to put several dart traps in a line, put them in the background so that they don't block each other's shot, and use a statue-spawned monster such as a skeleton to run through a series of pressure plates and activate them all in sequence. This way you can get rapid fire on a single line, walking around the dart traps' long pause time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just make block destruction part of Expert mode, along with every other change made purely in order to make the game feel tedious and annoying.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A three-block-thick barrier of bricks, snow, clay, wood, or anything else that isn't stone, sand, or grass will stop biome progression. You can create sheltered areas this way. Put some dirt in them, grow some grass on it, and place sunflowers. Each sunflower reduces the corruption/crimson rating of housings in its area, so you can get your NPCs back in your base and prepare for getting the clentaminator to do the cleanup for real.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was generated like this? The ocean can overwrite the dungeon?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just get rid of excess dolls by tossing them in the convenient nearby magma.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Battle potions and water candles increase spawn rate (not just enemy spawn rate) and being near a lot of NPC homes suppress enemy spawn, so you end up with a lot of critter spawning. Peace candles cancel out the water candles, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Also the whole "the girls are on their period" blood moon thing is still pretty out of place.

It's vaguely misogynistic yeah, but at least it's relatively subtle, compared to stuff like Mourning Wood and Golden Shower.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I got up to wave 12 of Pumpkin Moon after adding a shallow lava pool and some lizahrd-brand traps at my invasion greeting area. I figure if I use better musket balls for my uzi than the infinite pouch I could kill the pumpkings faster. Also reforging my equipment for damage instead of defense. Better time micromanagement to reset the rainbow cannon rainbow, frost hydra, queen spider, and whatever other passive/automatic enemy destruction systems could help.

I have a xeno staff and tiki armor, so I can get 6+ little UFOs, they make short work of most enemies. Once you have the flying saucer mount, you can get rid of movement accessories like wings, balloons, frog legs, etc. and put some emblems and other damage bonus items.

Though at this point I've gotten kinda bored of this game. Grinding through martian invasions to get the cosmic car keys and xeno staff was very tedious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you have a skybridge really close to the top of the map, go just below it, but above your spawn point. Martians will appear on the bridge, but saucers will practically never spawn.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

Saucers drop all the good stuff though…

Yeah but I already got all these drops and I was trying to get the brain scrambler to round out my collection of mount summon items.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spergminer posted:

The full terraria soundtrack is on steam now for 10$ and the 1.3 tracks can be found on bandcamp.

It's a little odd. Volume 1 and Volume 2 have 13 songs each, Volume 3 has only ten -- and it's not for lack of material, since three songs actually heard in-game are missing (Desert, Boss 4, and Ice/Underground Snow). There's also the console versions of Ocean and Space, which are completely different songs, the console variant of Title, and Tutorial.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You also need to have acquired some NPCs:
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Eye_of_Cthulhu

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Not making all weapons autoswing is still one of Terraria's biggest mistakes ever.

I like Terraria, but it has two really obnoxious design features: excessive grinding (nothing worse than summoning 30 times the same boss in a row because you need a rare drop to complete an item) and considering that carpal tunnel syndrome is a valid game balance technique.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The "weaker, early-game enemies", you mean the one that you fight with a pickaxe, axe, or hammer because all tools autoswing, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

Lava Flower planters don't bloom unless they're under lava, do they?

Depends on which version you're talking about. On the PC, this is no longer the case.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Gardening

Of course if you refer specifically to planter boxes, then they never worked this way; they were introduced in the same version that changed fireblossom blooming from "if submerged in lava" to "evenings when it's not raining".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

symbolic posted:

Still waiting for them to add an Ichor substitution for the Corruption. :colbert:

Cursed flames?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When you talk to the guide (the NPC you start with) you can show him items that have the "crafting material" tag and he'll tell you what you can do with it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can make chandeliers and other sorts of lamps for indoor lighting. Also, you can craft glass from sand in a furnace, and then use this glass to make glass walls that will let the daylight in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Does the mining helmet still shine if its in your cosmetics tab?

No.

But also, if you put the mining helmet on the functional slot and some other headwear on the vanity slot, it will not shine either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

TIL that skeletron despawns if you bounce too high goombaing him with the slime mount and fall off.

If you can get stuck under a roof while goombaing him, he should stay stuck below your slime mount and so everyone stays stuck in place: you in the roof, the slime mount under your butt, and skeletron inside the slime, until skeletron dies.

I actually killed a dungeon guardian this way and got a summon item for a baby skeletron this way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

edit: what the hell is a hamaxe, how does that make sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleopZtUlg0

But with a dumb name.

Terraria's best worst tool name is probably the Pickaxe Axe. There was also the Hamdrax but it's just a Drax now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

The dungeon is pretty safe (for now) and has a decent chance of spawning tied up npcs for you to rescue. Technically they can spawn anywhere in the cavern depth but the dungeon is fairly open and stocked with obsolete monsters.

The tinkerer and the wizard can spawn anywhere underground; but the mechanic is always in the dungeon. (And the stylist is always in a spider nest, so never in the dungeon.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a trick to Expert Mode?

Don't.

Expert mode is mostly bullshit difficulty by turning everything (except the player characters of course) into bullet sponges that take forever to kill. That some monsters have different behavior and some bosses have exclusive loot drops is just a way to entice people to play a game made more tedious, grindy and annoying than normal.

I hold firmly to the opinion that any difficulty that is at least partly based on "enemies have more health" is bullshit. It doesn't make gameplay more exciting to have to whack a mook eight times instead of four.

Bob Locke posted:

I have an old world that I still use for storage of all my stuff because moving it all would be a pain, but I want to get all the NPCs on it. Unfortunately, it predates spider nests, so I can't find a stylist.. Is it possible to artificially create spider nests (either in-game or through a map editor)?

Map editor yes, in-game no. Spider nests are defined by their special background walls, which cannot be harvested and cannot be placed, so map editing is the only way to create a new one. (It's possible to destroy a spider nest forever in-game, but not to create an artificial one.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also you might notice that I braved Spiderville to save the stylist, because I was getting tired of looking at my character's Goku hair. I tunneled straight down in from the surface and that turned out to be a bad idea because now they can leave and come up above ground. :suicide:

Just plug the hole.

Also if you want to, you can destroy the spider nest forever by hammering away its background walls. No background spidercave wall, no spider spawns.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

What's a good way to get started with farming materials for making potions? I haven't bothered with that at all since I got so much stuff from chests underground etc.

You should have gathered some seeds while exploring various places. Buy some planters from the dryad (they're like platforms but with grass growing on them), create a greenhouse building, lay some planters and plant your seeds.

Here's my ghetto setup:

Note the two rows of chests: one for seed, one for plant. The item frames above are a helpful reminder in case the themed chests aren't explicit enough. Above the safe and piggy, the item frame contains a staff of regrowth which is useful for harvesting.

Next, you'll want a few fishing cabins in the various biomes that have useful fish species for alchemy. My recommendation is to make a teleporter network to get there quickly. Here's my sky fishing cabin, which the party girl decided to squat:

The seaside beach resort and fishing lodge (for some reason the pirate captain spends all his time neck deep in the saltwater, he's a big weirdo this way):

The shroom cabin:

And the corruption cabin, next to my fleshhouse of horrors. The world is naturally a Crimson world, this corruption was created artificially by purifying a stretch of crimson, then planting some corrupt seeds imported from another world. On the other side of the crimson crevice I dumped tons of mud to create my aboveground shroom biome, and then I created both lakes.

The chasm was created with tons of surplus explosives with the idea of making a barrier to prevent corruption/crimson from extending further as well as having a convenient way to go way, way down pretty quickly. (It eventually ends in an underground hallow area.)

Anyway the point is that each cabin has a convenient teleporter pad so that I can move quickly from the base to a biome home. (I haven't finished my network, personally, the various underground fishing lodges are still accessible by railway instead of teleporters.) Most alchemy materials are from plants or fish, so having done these things will make sure you can get most materials quickly. Putting a safe and a piggy bank in each cabin/biome relay is also always helpful.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 19, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The keyword was "expert game", in normal mode they aren't that tough. In fact when I stopped playing I was at a level where I could reliably farm all three (well, four) mechanical bosses at once in the same night without using temporary buffs; and yet I was not tough enough to handle a pumpkin/frost moon event.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blind Sally posted:

how are y'all taking such big screenshots? i wanna share my house too

There's a screenshot mode. When you're in the inventory screen, it's one of the icons above your equipment slots -- like the NPC housing mode button.

In screenshot mode you have a "pin frame" mode and a "select frame" mode, I find select frame easier to use. Click on the screen to create a frame, whose borders you can drag around to extend or reduce. You can leave screenshot mode and return to it, the frame persists (until you use "reset frame". When everything you want captured is inside the frame, click on the "take snapshot" button and it'll create a PNG file with everything in it in the capture folder. If you don't know where that is, you've also got an "open folder" button that'll open an Explorer window there, so when you alt-tab out of the game you'll see them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Zombie Guy posted:

When I was making homes for NPCs, I had been making them all little individual cottages, but that took up tons of space.
If I want to make rooms within a larger building to house NPCs, do I just have to make sure it has a door/table/chair and torch?

Yep.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

i am tim! posted:

On that note, any tips for building safe entries that won't have goblins spilling through?

Put the door two blocks (or more) above the outside floor: none of the NPCs will be able to open it.

Note that goblin wizards will still teleport willy-nilly inside your house.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bluhman posted:

And on a completely different game I did something similar, and built a purely cosmetic village for my dudes to live in:

It's very cute and especially I like the little signposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's some sort of preview here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6sCT_NU-d8