Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can't believe that all these patches have been free updates. In most other games, stuff like these would have been DLC or something. Looking forward to jumping back into this after I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I have discovered the Slime Mount, and it is the best thing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zereth posted:

Not even antlion mandibles?

Those are dropped by the enemies there, but there's little point to the underground desert pre and post hardmode. It's really weird.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zereth posted:

I haven't explored it much, does it not even have like, chests you can get Sandstorm in a Bottle and such in?

Other than easy Extractinators in abandoned houses, no. Chests have the standard underground stuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

My gear currently consists of basically nothing. I have some crappy metal armour and a tungsteen shortsword, that's it. I've been looking for gold to finish a new pickaxe since from memory you need it to break certain blocks. I found a bunch of tungsteen though so I was gonna make a suit out of that and then...I dunno. Keep looking for gold and hope a medusa doesn't come out of nowhere and chain stun me again. Seriously what the gently caress I was just minding my own business and suddenly this snake lady falls from above and turns me into a rock over and over.

I have no idea what my preferred playstyle would be. Petty sure it would be magic since I like ranged attacks but gently caress managing ammo. From memory you don't get any spells until the duneon though so I'm just using what I can.

This changed a while back. You can make magic staves from 8 of a gemstone, and a few bars of low tier ore (Copper through Platinum). They fire projectiles at a fairly fast rate and don't drain too much mana. They're very decent to have early on, and it takes a while for the higher tier staves to fall off.

I dunno if this is really gonna inspire anyone, since it's really basic (and quite frankly a mess), but here's mine.

Gonna hollow out the middle to display all my statues, clothes, and armor.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 5, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DarthJeebus posted:

Ugh, I forgot how burned out I get trying to contain the corruption/crimson after the wall. I should probably just stop being attached to my worlds and just loot them for what I can before moving onto the next. Using bombs to dig 4 wide tunnels to hell is easy enough but everything else gets overrun and there isn't poo poo I can do about it. By the time I have it all contained, my world will be practically empty from all the digging.

If you kill Plantera, the corruption/crimson and hallow spread rates will slow down to what it was before you started hardmode. At that point, you don't have to worry about containing them anymore. And if things really get bad, you can use the Clentaminator to help fix things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Xenaero posted:

WHAT

I'm constantly being amazed by stuff you can pull off in this. I mean, I'm building a skycastle after the endgame and I'm still finding new stuff.

Well, might have to say goodbye to my doors on the edges.

edit: How do you get keys for the themed chests? I haven't seen one drop anywhere yet.

Once you get into Hardmode, they all have a 1/2500 chance of dropping from any enemy from the specified biome.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Since this already exists, does anyone know of a map viewer already done? I've only just now discovered where my caves were and I'm in hardmode.

https://terramap.codeplex.com/ Despite the fact that it says it's up to date with 1.3.0.1, it'll work with 1.3.0.3, though there might be some oddities.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Is there even a tell for her pertrification attack? I don't know when it's safe to face her and when it isn't.

I was wondering what the big fuss about Yoyos were. They were pretty decent, better than swords, but I didn't think they were super powerful. Then I crafted a yoyo bag. :stare: That's just completely ridiculous.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kly posted:

does not facing her even work? that was the first thing I tried after one of them killed me for the first time and it didnt seem to matter if my back was to her or not.

Somewhat? It might be a bit finicky, but most of the time, facing away from her usually prevents petrification.

LightningSquid posted:

About how long do super rare drops stick around for? I've got a farm set up for the Crimson/Frost keys, but I don't want them to despawn.

Until there's too many dropped items in the world. I believe that's like thousands of items before they stop despawning.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For you creative folks, how do you plan out your stuff?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

T is the throw Hotkey, so make sure that you aren't accidentally pressing that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Do statue farms still work? Can I set up a Slime Farm to get a Slime Staff, or is that not possible anymore?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do statue farms still work? Can I set up a Slime Farm to get a Slime Staff, or is that not possible anymore?

Yep, it turns out you can still get Slime staves from Slime statues.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So the fall damage from Medusa's petrification can actually be negated if you use a Featherfall potion. Guess that's one way to make them still relevant.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

My dumb base is basically done. Is there any way to coax the Party Girl into my lair or do I just have to get lucky?

You have to get lucky. She has a 2% chance of showing up every day once you have 14 NPCs. And an empty house. Unfortunately, that also applies if she gets killed, so if you want her item drop, be prepared to wait a while.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Supremezero posted:

So is the Shroomite Digging Claw still the fastest pick?

Fastest pick? Yes. Is it the fastest way to mine? Nope. Not in the slightest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Make the farms deeper. Chlorophyte grows faster the deeper it is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

It's great that hardmode spawns enemies whose projectiles also spread corruption on top of that.

They can't do that anymore. 1.2 got rid of that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Gonna craft all the sticky bombs then. Thx!

You can make sticky dynamite now. :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

1.3.0.6 is live. RIP Moon Lord lava cheese. And potentially the Stardust Dragon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:dance: Found this baby shortly after starting Hardmode. Did they up the biome key drop rates?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

No you just got lucky. Like when I fired up 1.3 and got a Slime Staff in like the first 10 slimes I killed only to then decide with my friends that we'd start up a Mediumcore Expert server, and in the interest of being fair I didn't bring the staff :(

Oh. I'm happy I got the key, but I still think the way they were handled was dumb. At least they don't have to be crafted anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nuebot posted:

As much as I like 1.3 I'm not really feeling most of these patch notes aside from the medusa one. It feels lot like those times in say, FFXI, when they had a super hard boss no one could kill they'd get mad and buff it any time someone did manage to kill it because they were "exploiting" the game to do so. Maybe the problem is that people have to exploit the game to kill your boss, because it's not fun to fight. The moon lord is kind of a poo poo boss especially if you're a melee character and the cool factor wears out quick because it has such a ridiculous amount of health.

His attack patterns are way too complicated for a game like Terraria. The combat is horrible and has like no depth to it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I feel the same way! Those and Slime Rains.

I'm no game dev so I'm bewildered too by this. First they started nerfing Developer yoyos which I didn't get since I thought the point of getting those was to be able to effortlessly tear through any enemies that you might encounter. At least they're not nerfing the weapons you get from killing the Moon Lord.

They weren't officially implemented before they got nerfed.

I'm surprised Yo-yos in general haven't gotten nerfed yet. And I really hope they don't. They're one of the few viable melee weapons now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So the Dungeon Guardian has a drop now? How are you supposed to kill it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RatHat posted:

Cosmic Car Mount flies faster than him so you can just fly around the map shooting him. It takes like 10 minutes even with optimal gear though(by optimal gear I mean SDMG+A ton of crit+A bunch of Stardust Cells).

:toot: I tried using a hoik loop to deal with it, but I couldn't get ithe Dungeon Guardian trapped in the middle. (Please don't get rid of hoiking.) Thanks for letting me know about the Cosmic Car Key! Took a while, but he went down.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently the Jungle decided to eat my Corruption that spawned from the Wall of Flesh. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen. The area in the red circle is the only bit of Corruption that survived. At least the Hallow spawned normally.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

You do realize the jungle's eating your hallow too, right?

Only the bottom part. The rest of the strip is fine and didn't spawn in the jungle.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

whiteshark12 posted:

Is there any way to pull a 'seed' or something similar from a terraria world to create a fresh copy of the same map?

You can make a copy of the map file. But if you're asking for getting a fresh version of a world you made a lot of changes to, I don't think there's a way to do that right now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

!00 fishing quests and the angler still hasn't given me the bottomless bucket. I hate this little brat :mad:

I just need the Sextant and the Fisherman's Pocket Guide for the Cell Phone, but he keeps giving me Weather Radios! :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I am making a room using Cog furniture and blocks, but then I realized there is no Cog Backwall item. what would make a good backwall to go with a room made out of cogs?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Does Chlorophyte not grow in the Underworld? Do I need to plant some a bit higher for it to grow?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Do mimics have some different spawning than regular enemies? I'm trying to get the toy sled for my brother but I'm so sick of grinding these stupid ice chests when they spawn so rarely. I have a setup where I just drop through a ton of layers of an ice biome but mimics still only spawn once every 5 minutes on average which sucks. It doesn't seem like I can just wait in place for them too spawn offscreen like every other enemy though so I can't really afk farm them either.

Try using battle potions or water candles. I find that rare enemies show up way more often when they're in effect. I even see double Mimics a lot when I chug a battle potion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Azzents posted:

The only thing they need is a nature wall from world gen and the respective biome. I also read that they need total darkness to spawn but that might be baloney.

Try digging out a large tunnel just below ground level with dart traps, a lava pit and a water candle.

They don't. They just need to be offscreen, like most other enemies in the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For hybrid biomes, like Tundra/Crimson, is it possible to get both Frozen and Crimson Keys from there? Because the game gave me a second Frozen Key when I wanted a Crimson one. :geno: What am I even supposed to do with a second one?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I had a blast with Minecraft, and enjoy a lot of character progression. But, maybe I'm spoiled by that. The idea of an "end game" is alien to me in these kinds of games. I walked around a bit, and had a really hard time actually building anything. It just wasn't' intuitive, but I feel like there is a lot I'm missing. I just saw there was an extensive WIKI so I'll check that out.

That's probably for the best. I should say that Terraria has a really slow start, but its a lot better than it used to be, so you came in at about the right time.

Dr. Fetus posted:

For hybrid biomes, like Tundra/Crimson, is it possible to get both Frozen and Crimson Keys from there? Because the game gave me a second Frozen Key when I wanted a Crimson one. :geno: What am I even supposed to do with a second one?

A few seconds after posting this, the Crimson Key dropped for me! :neckbeard: Along with pretty much every rare drop possible in the area.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Somebody convince me to use a weapon that's not a yoyo. Even though I got my hands on the Vampire Knives, I still use yoyos because they're way more fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Make shortswords able to poke in any direction. Bam, they now have a reason to exist. Faster stabs than a broadsword swing, but a swing has more damage per hit, a wider arc and better range. If you want to avoid players having a viable weapon from the start, give them a "poking stick" which functions exactly as the current copper shortsword.

Isn't this basically a Spear? Then again, there's not too many pre-hardmode spears.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I'm kinda unclear on how you're supposed to get off a rail. Half the time I just jump and mash buttons until I finally manage to make that drat cart disappear.

I think it's the mount button, so press R to get off the cart. Or use a grappling hook.