Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I found a acc. that lets you make vine ropes, a wimpy little wand and made a yo-yo.

That's about all the new stuff that I've found so far.

I wish I wasn't so poo poo at making homes. They're square box rooms with slanted ends on the far sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Alright I'll give that a try. Last time I played I think I had my trenches 6 or 7 blocks wide and I used stone brick (since I had thousands of stone blocks) to line it so if I can keep it narrower that'd be nice.

Do enemies no long have projectile attacks that spread corruption/hallow? Because I thought those attacks were the entire reason you line your trenches.

They took the corruption spread out back in 1.2 because it was too much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

A good house, for a prick.

Also did this update wipe the worlds? That's disappointing if it did, because that means we lost this world my friends and I made years ago:

Oh no these look really good. :ohdear: I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

:negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Please keep posting bases everyone, I'm waiting on one eventually inspiring me to copy-paste it into my own world because I've just got block rooms as it stands right now.

Anyone make anything interesting with Dynasty wood?

edit: I really wanna make a base. Like, a bar too- basically I just want it to look like people could live there and not be crazy.

Because my old attempts don't go too great.

RareAcumen posted:

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What's the poo poo between the anvil and sawmill?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

a Lizhard Furnace (for making furniture out of temple bricks), and a... I think that's a flesh cloner you buy from the Steampunker which I think is for making flesh furniture?

Okay, that's two, minus the piggy bank I'm no longer confused about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

What's the poo poo between the anvil and sawmill?

So, sawmill, lizhard furnace, ???, piggy bank, flesh crafter, anvil.

One more to go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a 'rotate item' button I don't know about? I'd like my loom to face a different direction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Lee posted:

Alright, I've been around two worlds, and I found only one of these magic sword shrines or whatever they are. I didn't know what to do with it, but smartitem told me to use my pickaxe on it, so I did, and it just shattered and nothing came out. Did I ruin my magic sword? Is one supposed to always get SOMETHING, or are some of them totally fake and do nothing?

Yeah, some are fake and some give you stuff. You did the right thing by breaking it. If it makes you feel better, I managed to find two of them but no caves so I'm going to have to just buy up a lot of dynamite or just go make a new base in a new world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

So my cat hit some keys that turned on a frame-rate display on the lower left. How do I turn it off again?

Start pressing F keys. I think it's F9.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samopsa posted:

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ This is an online inventory editor. Upload your .plr file and edit it, download and put it back. Works like a charm. I used to to cut out some grinding (i.e. biome keys, chlorophyte ore, souls of night/light. boss summoning items, buffing potions you get for fishing).

Since this already exists, does anyone know of a map viewer already done? I've only just now discovered where my caves were and I'm in hardmode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://terramap.codeplex.com/ Despite the fact that it says it's up to date with 1.3.0.1, it'll work with 1.3.0.3, though there might be some oddities.

Excellent. I just want to find my spider den so I can get a Stylist unlocked for when I eventually submit to building more ugly base to home them all in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rather than agonize over what to do and never be satisfied, I'm gonna post my base and ask if anyone here has any suggestions.

I just took out the doors on the first two floors and I'm just gonna use the trap doors because the NPCs don't get stronger once you activate hardmode.

I've got to make room for another four NPCs and that'll be it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

King Doom posted:

Turn it into a giant armoured land train.

Now there's a suggestion. All I need is some kind of reference.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

The Convoy map from Unreal Tournament

EDIT: Or Snowpiercer I guess.

I appreciate the attempt to help but I mean like a 2-d example because I'm absolute poo poo at building. I mean, I'm so bad that I can't take that picture and turn it into a base by looking at it bad. :downs:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh yeah, that's right. Terraria's an update that gives players actual sprites for sleeping in beds and sitting in chairs away from being the better Starbound.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

It's sort of supposed to look like a collection of houses overlapping with each other, although I didn't quite succeed I think. It's not made of super expensive stuff, but I think it came together pretty well. My favorite part is how the Party Girl decided to move into the exterior Cask Of Amontillado room in the basement.

I like how you walled off the Clothier with stone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did I miss it in the OP or is there a 'newbie guide to quick starting' or something? Like a progression of what to make/get in the beginning of the game? I haven't played in forever and re-downloaded with 1.3. With approximately a billion things to get/make, it's a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

You start with a copper shortsword. The first thing you should do is cut down some trees, make a workbench, and make a wooden longsword.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, she does respawn. Eventually. If you really want her around you'll have to go back and explore all your spider caves.

You can rush in and talk to her/untie her and then rush right back out if you want; if she gets ganked by the spiders a new Stylist will soon spawn in an open house. (I learned this via watching the newly-freed Mechanic get horribly butchered.)

This applies to all of the NPCs that start off tied up/cursed. If you save them and they die, oh well, just make an extra room/house for them to live in and they'll show up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone playing multiplayer right now? I'd like to help out with other people's worlds and such.

nvm, asked about adding things to the OP that were already in the OP.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Section Z posted:

Anyways, for those of you too honorable to use editors. What buttons should my dumb rear end push so I can hop onto one of the Goon servers, and shove this strange plant into a chest for someone actually looking for them to get it?

TL;DR: Idiot Terraria newbie has a falling star land next to a strange plant that wasn't there a second ago, 20 feet from spawn. Wants to hand it over to Goons actively seeking them out.

Same, I wanna play this game with other people. Preferably not on Expert.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Trap_Door

I just wanna play with people. And spread the love.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GrunderGretch posted:

Thanks a bunch! Oh, I forgot to mention that I have: lights bane, the ivy whip and a stack of falling stars. That's good right?

Is that before or after you've gotten yourself a full mana bar? And is your Ivy Whip in your grappling hook slot?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah gently caress, I was trying to copy some designs in the thread and I lost one of the pictures. Someone posted a picture of their living wood home for the Dryad with a bunch of pots sitting inside of it.

Can anyone find it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Network Pesci posted:

Maybe it's this one?

Yes! That's the one!

MrGreenShirt posted:

Not the one you're looking for, but here's mine!

Although now it appears the game deleted my most current save and thus all the work I put into my artificial jungle biome. Good think Tedit just updated I guess!

But this little tree nook is really cute though! If losing your save didn't mess up your base I'd love to see what the rest of the place looks like because all that granite has to be for a reason.

Looking at this treehouse, now I wish cabinets were a thing in the game too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supremezero posted:

There's Dressers, which are more or less the same thing. They even function as chests, plus base outfit recoloring. And the house's flat surface in lieu of a table.

But I can't show off my fancy dishes in dressers. :ohdear:

Anyway, next picture I'm looking for, it's a large base and off to the top right I think it's a Boreal wood house? The objective was to try and make it look like a Noir detective's place.

Oh! And, DoubleNegative, you should add the Tax Collector recruitment to the list in the OP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LightningSquid posted:

Does anyone have a picture of the smallest possible acceptable room for an NPC? I actually want to be a jailor for my expert mode run, but I don't remember the exact setup I saw in this thread.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/House

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

For new players playing solo and thinking about expert don't I ignored the warnings, it was fine until hardmode but the bosses are kill you 2-3 hits variety which while a neat challenge is much harder then I assumed it was going to be.

Having not played Expert, my Expert advice is to not play it until you've done most of the normal mode and then run through expert like a maniac shrugging off the crazy buffed boss attacks with your Beetle armor, grenade launcher, and sick yoyo tricks.

Buuuuut I'm a guy who's against nerfing late game items like the Spectre set, Vampire Knives and Red's yoyo. It's endgame, why make things less good? If it really bugs you so much you don't have to use em.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oddium posted:

has this always been one of the subtitles that can roll or did red add it recently to make fun of starbound

Nah, sand used to do like 15 damage a second at launch.

Plus, cactus was a physical object you could run into and it did damage to you and only you. Just like spikes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dootman posted:

Since we're doing the whole showing off our bases thing, here is my current WIP:

Holy poo poo, that organization system.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had a really cool idea for the Expert Mode drop too but now I can't remember it.

I wish they'd made a way to force a Slime Rain or Blood Moon though like you can for the Solar Eclipse. Which also turned out to be way more powerful than I was expecting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Boy nothing like starting hardmode and getting 3 bloodmoons in a row :shepicide:

I've never played hardmode before. Should I be making drills or picks now?

By the time you hit hardmode, there really shouldn't be any danger from bloodmoons anymore though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akett posted:

Wrong, there's clowns, and the hardmode enemies that normally spawn at night are also pretty dangerous in large numbers, especially if you are completely new to hardmode and are still wearing pre-hardmode armor.

I don't think clowns are pretty difficult to handle but, fair enough, the beginning of hardmode is pretty rough. I've lost perspective now that I've got me a Kraken.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, what's people's preferences for Crimson vs Corruption?

I favor the Corruption, mainly because it's hardmode enemies aren't nearly as annoying.

Edit: By that I mean they don't float through walls shooting at you.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 14, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

President Ark posted:

I prefer the crimson because red is my favorite color.

What, you expected something motivated by mechanics? :fuckoff:

Hey I'm just curious about what people prefer, I'm not gonna demand pathos or a real complicated reason for why you like whichever. I'm just happy to have the conversation going.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wish I had crimson so I could cast the Golden Shower spell :(.

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

Give yourself 80 Ichor too while you're at it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

Trying to do some prep work to fight expert Wall of Flesh. A few questions:

1.) What's the best weapon for this fight? Megashark or Phoenix Blaster?

2.) Collecting some Ice blocks to run on. How many should be enough to get the job done.

3.) Minecart for the fight: Yay or nay?

1. Grenades

2. a full stack of Dynamite should do you fine.

3. You may actually end up going too fast to actually see the wall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Can someone relink the player editor, because I'm tired of looking for truffle worms every time Fishron beats me.

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

It's in the OP under Utilities, if you ever need to find it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Update 1.3.0.6

Mimic tombstones added to game.

:getin: