Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Baron posted:

After a few hours of preparation, and building up supplies, I finally decided to try and venture forth into hardmode for the first time.

Why yes, that new swath of Crimson is going directly into my base... :negative:

I had this exact same thing happen to me! It's the first big base I've ever built by myself, too.

I ended up just rushing to the Destroyer to get the Clentaminator so I could clear the whole area out. It got a bit chicken-and-egg though: I had to clean out enough of my base to open up enough rooms for all the NPCs to move into before I could buy the Clentaminator.

There was a bit of luck involved, too. I had a couple rainy days in short order, so I was able to get frost cores and craft Frost Armor very quickly, and the first Hallowed Mimic I fought dropped the Daedelus stormbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I first played this game this past spring, before 1.3 came out. My friends and I made it to Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon, but we weren't able to do the events successfully and we just kind of stopped playing.
I started playing again solo a few months ago, and now I've hit the same wall. I made it to wave 10 in Pumpkin Moon, but I was overwhelmed by multiple Pumpkings and Mourning Woods.

I'd like to actually "beat" this game for once: complete all the events, get end-game gear, make a kickass base, etc. (The base is coming along pretty well!) I have an arena with a campfire, heart lantern, banners, honey bubbles and a few other things, but no heart statues. It's just a screen-sized area with a few levels of platforms.

I'm using a ranged class, so I have Shroomite armor (bullet helmet), Daedalus stormbow / chlorophyte shotbow with holy arrows, megashark sniper rifle with crystal bullets, nail gun and golden shower. (Plus a melee weapon or two for backup.) For accessories I have frostspark boots, frozen wings, ankh shield, celestial stone and sniper scope. I use ironskin, endurance, archery and swiftness potions, along with an ammo box and a bewitching table with magnetic spheres and a frost hydra.

Any advice? Should I try to get weapons from the other events? I'd like to stick with ranged combat (I enjoy it a lot) but I'd be willing to switch, especially since the Shroomite stealth bonus is really hard to use. It's a Crimson world, so maybe I should farm up the vampire knives?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

watho posted:

1. Get the UFO mount from the Martian invasion.
2. Kill the cultist.
3. Destroy the Vortex pillar.
4. Craft a Phantasm and also the arrow helmet and a bunch of arrows of your choice (I use Ichor but there might be better ones).
5. Destroy the rest of the pillars using the Megashark.
6. Melt the moon lord with the phantasm.
7. Repeat steps 2, 3, 5 & 6 until you have full Vortex armor, a Vortex beater and possibly a S.D.M.G. and/or a Celebration of you're lucky.

Congratulations! You're now well equipped to breeze through the moon events!

Sounds good!

Ran one Martian Madness so far, it's not bad? Definitely better than the moon ones.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

watho posted:

The problem with the Martian Madness is that you need to kill the flying saucers.

I died about five times in a row to them :buddy: and then I remembered all the people in this thread who said to hide under blocks to avoid the death ray.

And all I got was a couple laser drills and a xeno staff. Oh well!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yup. The other enemies only drop Martian conduit plating, vanity items and the Scrutlix mount summoner. Everything else (i.e. all the good stuff) is from the saucers.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It took several invasions, but I finally got the cosmic car key! Thanks for the suggestion, because this thing makes combat so much easier.

I handled the pillars OK (none of them spawned in my base, yay) mostly thanks to the Phantasm melting everything. But then the Moon Lord wrecked me.
I think the main issue was that I couldn't see poo poo. I had no idea what was going on, or what to aim at... I think I got all three eyes down to half health before getting squished.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
All these posts convinced me to fire up the game again. I stopped after trying to defeat the Moon Lord a few times. Instead of throwing myself right at him after not playing for most of a year, I decided to take down Duke Fishron.

Turns out he's really easy when you have a UFO Mount and a Phantasm. :science:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Found it, I didn't realize that the world continued past the dungeon since I had never tried to climb over it before. :downs:

Those poor computer people and their adhd :(

edit: oh poo poo meteorite sets you on fire :supaburn:

The world extends all the way to the Ocean on both sides of the map!

Eventually you'll want to have a way to get from one end of the world to the other. There are items that can help you return to your home base quickly, but eventually you'll want to consider setting up a minecart track to take you to the other side. (It's not completely necessary, I've never done it myself.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The ensuing threat of gross purple and/or shiny happy destruction of my pretty house has messed up my concentration. I'm kind of bummed that there's essentially nothing I can do about it. On the bright side I have cool armor now.

You should have the Dryad NPC. She sells an item that you will find very helpful for fighting the corruption/hallow! It'll help stem the tide for now.

When I entered hardmode, the huge stripe of corruption went right through my house :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It was released 5 years ago and it's just been getting more and more content added into it over the years. And not only that but I think it was leaked and it was a rushed release on top of things.

Anyway, you had any experience using magic or yo-yos yet?

Not CJacobs, but I was going to ask the thread anyway: I've only played ranged characters in all my ~200 hours of Terraria. Are magic and melee worthwhile builds for solo play? I'm thinking about starting a new character soon (once I finish my mansion and defeat the moon lord...) and I was thinking I should try something new.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It's quite fun. I just use a mix of whatever's available, bows, spells, a sword that I regularly use, etc. The only hurdle is getting enough stars at the beginning to make use of any spells.

I usually end up as a "Ranger" due to armor and accessories as opposed to weapons. i.e. I have the Sniper Scope and Shroomite Armor, but my hotbar has Possessed Hatchet, Golden Shower and summoning staves in addition to bows and guns.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can use any build you want, but if you're going the melee route, you basically want to make use of Yoyos. Swords and stuff are usable, but chances are that you'll be face tanking a lot through the bosses.

And Vampire Knives for healing, right?

I think I'll craft some end-game magic armor and see how much I like it before starting a new character. I do still need to finish the Moon Lord...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Isn't this the game where the "item DB" is actually a giant if-else statement? Did we ever get an explanation for that?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zereth posted:

This is why I build my housing complexes dead center.

Floating off the ground for protection against zombies and invasions and poo poo.

It was the best flat, open space I found... I don't like "terraforming" a lot, so I try to leave the world as natural as when I found it. Barring covering the Caverns in torches and rope and building a hellevator, of course. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem, but alas...

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno if you guys will care about this or not but if you've still got your old armor kicking around you could hang it up to never forget your roots or something.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Mannequin

And they even made one for the ladies too!

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Womannequin

These are lots of fun! I have a chest full of old armor sets and I'm sure I have old weapons hanging around. The central hall of my house as item plates and a few mannequins, showing off my old equipment.

Like the top hat + wedding dress combo. loving fabulous!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I decided to make a skybridge so I can (a) stop meteors and (b) get to the oceans faster.

Why do I hate myself.

after this I'm going to plan a subway.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I don't need more of them. Meteor shot isn't that useful and I have more than enough meteor blocks and bars to make any furniture I may want. Plus I don't really like it when the world changes drastically. :kiddo:

Chests are a way better method for handling this though. Thanks!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

i am tim! posted:

Since we're talking about base structure, and since I'm reinstalling the game right now!, I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on Workshop and Storage layout, and how to relate them to one another. I've always had trouble finding the right balance between too many and not enough chests/categories, and how to place them around my workshop so I have an easy time accessing all the materials I have stored without having to go waaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

My current setup has a large storeroom with room for lots and lots of chests. I have 2 workshops: One has the furnace, anvil, autohammer, etc. and the other has all the specialty crafting stations like the bone welder and flesh vat.
The furnace workshop has 2 chests, one for normal mode ores and bars (along with things like sand and stone) and the other for hardmode ores/bars. Open a chest -> open the crafting menu -> all the recipes for stuff in the chest shows up.
Any other crafting materials that I don't need often go in the storeroom.

I also have a separate potion/dye crafting room, which is close to my garden. Same deal there, one chest for managing the garden and the other for doing crafting. (e.g. all the fish and things you need for potion crafting.)

Basically, go crazy with chests, don't be afraid to get rid of stuff unless it's super rare, try to treat the workshop as a workshop and not "small storeroom with crafting benches."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Update: While making my planting room, this chill guy wandered in. I am slightly perturbed by his presence and I don't know why he's here but I am willing to tolerate him. In case you can't tell what it is: It's a frickin goldfish walking around on two legs.

:allears: they walk when it's raining. It's my favorite stupid little detail in this game.

Also, you can use Goldfish in crafting a couple items, like one of the the best cosmetic items in the game.

voltcatfish posted:

There's no mods or anything to balance hard mode a bit better for single player, right?

If it was balanced better, Terraria would be one of my favorite games of all time. As it stands I hate how useless a lot of the items become as soon as you start it.

fake edit: or is the solution simply getting good

Hardmode really isn't bad for solo though? It's basically the start of the game again, in that a lot of your weapons aren't very useful. But it's pretty easy to get the ball rolling on better equipment! Once you have hardmore armor and a hardmode pick, you're doing fine.
"git gud" isn't really fair. Preparing to enter hardmode by getting good accessories (the Obsidian Shield and a bunch of movement accessories, basically) and simply knowing what's coming afterward makes a huge difference.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The goldfish stopped walking and started flopping around once the rain stopped so I gave him a permanent home to keep him from dying. You wandered into a place with no water, buddy, it's at least partially your fault!

So hey, planter boxes. How do they work?

Put the fishbowl on your head :3: :3: :3: :kimchi:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Oh right another thing that kind of annoyed me was all the recommended weapons I saw for Hardmode required Crimson and my world had Corruption :(

Go world hopping! Make small worlds until you get a Crimson one and get the weapons you need/want.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jusupov posted:

With something that pierces multiple parts. I think I usually kill it with the phasesaber for the first time.

Daedalus Stormbow :allears: a pain to get this early but oh so worth it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Where do you guys find all the materials for building christ. I've been cutting logs for a while it feels, but I've only gotten a lovely rectangle.

symbolic posted:

Inventory editor :smugdog:

Yup :sweatdrop: only sometimes, if it's something that's complete bs to get (e.g. Krampus Horn Wallpaper, which is only sold during Christmas) or I need several thousand of it. Otherwise I'll get it myself.

Once I have an idea in mind (like a themed room for an NPC), I'll go look on the Terraria wiki for appropriate furnishings and decorations. You can easily see all the furniture, lights, walls, etc. in the game and get a good idea of what will work.

The other secret is paint! While the effect is generally subtle, you can accomplish some pretty neat effects and make it look like you've found exotic new materials. For example, I made one NPC's room look like it was on an alien planet by painting the windows with Negative Paint. I made another NPC's room look a little like an alchemist's workshop by taking Gold Disc Wall and using orange, yellow and green paint to make it look stained by chemicals.

Edit: For home defenses I set up a pit outside each door, which are trapped with pressure plates that trigger spiked ball traps. Then I used a relatively simple circuit to make a small bridge over the pits (and automatically open the door!) so I can easily walk in and out.
I don't recommend this setup -- it's killed many penguins, rabbits and traveling merchants. On the other hand, it works pretty well for killing hardmode mobs at night!

Solumin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 21, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

kvx687 posted:

Can't help much with Fishron, the only time I beat him was with post-Celestial Pillars equipment and Vampire Knives. I will say that he's much harder, bordering on nigh-impossible, without a good source of flight; get a UFO mount from the martian invasion and he's a lot easier. Also, it's super risky, but if you hang out right at the edge of the ocean biome you can cancel some of his attacks early by triggering his rage state and then backing back into the biome

Yes, this. UFO mount + speed potion and Fishron won't be able to touch you.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

This will be useful on my next character/world! Thanks Terraria devs! This is looking like a pretty good update so far.

:eyepop: and they buffed the Medusa Head's damage now that it's hardmode only. Seems like ~80 damage base. :getin:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The reign of NPC prisons is over. Now actual houses must be built for them.

Good. :colbert:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

I use Terraria InvEdit for the former and it works flawlessly.

I'm also a big fan of TerraSavr, which is web-based. It's already been updated for 1.3.1.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Find a nice light-colored block and paint them blue?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bluhman posted:

Oh lord yes, it's soo hard to get used to the controls of a new character after having played a 500 HP sun-armored winged melee monster knight for so long. All these torches and platforms and ropes I gotta drop everywhere.

I feel your pain.

At least you know how to sequence break though! Get a lot of rope and find the floating islands early, or hit the desert ASAP and hope you get a sandstorm in a jar... that sort of thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think the worst part is the compulsion to want to grind out the cellphone again. I can't come back because then I'll suicide from fishing.

Some things are worth cheating for. You've done it once, why do it again?

The other solution is wait another few months before restarting the game, so it feels truly fresh and you don't mind the grind :yayclod:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Or design one room that you like and copy that one for all your NPCs. Make a building of luxury apartments!

I started with a just a very basic stone-and-wood house, and I'm slowly updating it with custom rooms for each NPC. You don't have to have a perfect room from the start!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The underground desert is one of my favorite areas pre-hardmode, actually. You'll find a ton of ore and stuff to throw in the Extractinator, and the sandstone is really easy to dig through so you can explore a large area very quickly. But once you've explored it once, there's no reason to go back, which is disappointing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

:staredog:

gently caress, I might have to try ranged on my next character.

I've played mostly ranged characters while my friends played melee or magic characters. A lot of things in the game make it feel like ranged is the developer's One True Way To Play.
The lack of an easy self-heal is the obvious except to this, of course...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I started the Lunar Events again because I figured it's time to face my fears and take on the Moon Lord. And then I kept dying to the pillars. loving Nebula pillar.
Maybe another time...

OTOH I now have a Vortex Beater, 500 Chlorophyte bullets and an alien car key. So maybe the odds are pretty even.

EDIT: I died at literally the last loving second, dammit.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 26, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zereth posted:

I'm not seeing "every relevant potion you can make" in there. Ironskin, endurance, regen, heartreach, etc. Also, make a stardust dragon staff and use a bewitching table, and an ammo box and ammo use down potion if you have them, but you can deal with that by just making more ammo. Also remember that standing on the ground is actually better for the solar pillar becuase thos big worms don't give a poo poo about you unless you're in the air.

I can handle the pillars fine now, I just needed to get back into the groove. I do have all those potions, I just forgot to use them... aaand I just remembered there's a button that uses all your buff potions automatically. Dammit.

The real problem is I just go so overwhelmed during the battle and confused by all the visual effects that I can't keep my head. :sigh:

Cat Mattress posted:

Definitely save all the crates you can find to open them only after you reach hardmode. Try to get a few crates from every biome, too. You may need to flood a section of the dungeon to get dungeon crate; the best way to fish in a dungeon is pre-hardmode where you can build yourself a safe little cabin. Kill all dungeon monsters which aren't dumb skeletons, but keep all skeletons alive and stuck in a little on-screen area where they can't reach you. This way it'll prevent annoying monsters that can fly , toss projectiles, or go through bricks from spawning and you can fish for a while (possibly AFK) in piece.

Why? The only difference I see is they have biome-specific loot and hardmode metal bars like the Iron crates do. The loot is things that are really usable in normal mode, if you haven't already found them by exploring, and none of the biome crates get any hardmode-specific drops.
Saving crates is definitely good advice though. I also suggest setting up a sky lake and a honey lake near your base.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

Any suggestions on how to get a sky lake going, aside from one bucket at a time? (On console)

Do buckets stack on console? That's one way to get started. But the real trick is infinite water using pumps. Basically, if an Inlet pump is completely submerged, the connected Outlet pump will produce slightly more water than was input. Couple this with using stairs to increase liquid volume, because holy poo poo Terraria is broken in some ways, and you get infinitely increasing water. Even better, it'll stop once the outlet pump is submerged, so you can just set it up and walk away. (But not too far away, I think some wire stuff stops working if the map chunk gets unloaded.) As far as I know, this will work on console.

You can use this same setup with honey and lava, but it's a little bit harder because those liquids are slower/more viscous. But with a good setup, it'll only take slightly longer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zereth posted:

Say is there a way to make the drill mount you can make with luminite work on back walls too? apparently you can't make dungeon bricks into back walls so my efforts to completely demolish this dungeon and take it home with me has hit a snag.

The problem is probably that you're trying to mine it from the middle. You've got to start at the edge and work your way in, just like Dirt walls. Also, maybe try dynamite?

Edit: Oh, misunderstood what you're getting at. No, the Drill Containment Unit doesn't touch walls, though it'll get everything else. I'd suggest a Spectral Hamaxe or one of the luminite hamaxes for the increased range or, again, dynamite.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 29, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Maguoob posted:

Last I checked dynamite doesn't work against dungeon bricks or dungeon walls, so hammering it out is the only way.

Dynamite definitely can't blow up dungeon bricks, but the wiki claims that dynamite will break dungeon walls. I will test.

Edit: My testing shows that, much like the hammer, Dynamite cannot break dungeon walls unless part of the wall is an edge, i.e. touching something other than dungeon wall. So starting from the entrance, you can just dynamite your way through the dungeon.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 29, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Fishing provides:
1) A way to sequence break normal mode by catching a fish that can be used as a pickaxe that is as powerful as the Molten Pickax,
2) A way to sequence break hardmode by catching crates, which when opened in hardmode can give you any of the 6 hardmode ore, even if you obtain the crate in normal mode,
3) Ingredients for a number of powerful potions, e.g. Endurance Potions, Lifeforce Potions, and Ammo Reservation Potions,
4) A bunch of accessories and tools of varying utility through the Angler Quests, including items for the PDA/cellphone.

The Autohotkey stuff is for #2 and possibly #3, and maybe #4 if you get lucky and catch one of those fish outside a quest. It's absolutely not necessary if you want to do fishing! And you definitely don't have to do fishing if you don't want to do.
Personally I enjoyed the power fishing gave me (through 1 and 2), and 3 and 4 are definitely worth doing in any playthrough in my opinion.

e:f;b, should really refresh before posting.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If you're planning on going primarily with ranged weapons, Crimson gives you a better first gun.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Corruption is a little better for magic users. You can get a Band of Starpower and eventually turn it into Magic Cuffs, which are pretty much necessary ever since the Mana Flower got nerfed into uselessness. Also the Vilethorn is a much better early game magic weapon than it was back in 1.1.

Of course, once you're at the point in the game where you're breaking orbs, you can easily handle making another world with the biome that your main world doesn't have! World hopping for fun and profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's 4 pairs of basic normal mode ores: Copper and Tin, Iron and Lead, Silver and Tungsten, and Gold and Platinum. Each world has 1 from each pair, like tin, lead, silver and gold in your case. You can't naturally find the other four ores in your world. There's no real difference between the ores in each pair, except for some decorative items. In hard mode, there are 3 more pairs of ore.

Spiders spawn in a special area. Stay away from it if you can, they're hard to handle until you have better weapons, as you've found out.

Click the little hammer icon, it'll show you the crafting menu as a grid.