Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I walk to the left and find a living tree, instantly several NPCs move into it as soon as I Set a torch down. Guess I'll be building here. Since it's been ages since I played I have a few questions: first off is there any easy way to make infinite liquids these days? Like for decorative waterfalls and such? Secondly, what's the deal with wooden trench talk for hardmode. I never really understood that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So I think I last played this game back when there was no hard mode or whatever the hell that stuff they added is. Back then I remember I spent most of my time exploring caves and poo poo looking for loot. What I'm wondering is if any of these updates added more stuff to do that doesn't involve walking into a cave and getting murdered. I like that stuff but I'm home for summer and looking for games to play with my little brother. He's absolutely terrible at games like this though and would no doubt die over and over in the caves, so I'm wondering if there's anything he could do that doesn't involve a bunch of combat but would still feel like contributing to our mutual survival.

EDIT: Other than building a crappy house for the NPCs, obviously.

If you pick softcore you don't lose your items on death. Honestly after a point I tend to just leap into lava pits just for an easy warp back to my spawn because my inventory is overflowing with loot. There's a ton of exploration to do and bosses to kill and stuff, but a lot of this game is generally digging through different flavors of cave and gather as much loot as you can to build the fanciest home you want.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is there any way to tell where an NPC's home is anyway? The merchant moved in I think but it'd be nice to see if his home actually qualifies as a home or not since he got stuck on a block and is just rotating in place now. At least he's safe.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

victrix posted:

Does worldgen ever create giant mountains?

I want a world with huge peaks and valleys :colbert:

I've got some pretty big ones in the desert in my current world. Made entirely out of sand though.

Anyway, how do you get the first real tier of important picks? You need shadow scales to craft it but to fight the boss that drops those you need a pick that can break the stones you need the shadow scales for.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Expert mode melee is 0 fun. DieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDie then die some more

I got a yo-yo off a bat and it turns out, they're awesome. You just hold the button and things get knocked back away from you. I don't know if the yo-yo weapons are new or if they were added in 1.2 which I skipped, but they rock.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

H.P. Grenade posted:

I started on normal mode so my son and I could play together but our starting position is sandwiched between underground desert (brutal) and underground arctic (slightly less brutal) with a granite biome spreading all the way under both of those (most brutal). I like the challenge but drat, the tombstones are starting to stack on each other.

We did find two excellent minecart tracks running between the two, which was fun when we had to escape danger by riding them off into the unknown, holding torches so we could see where we would end up, which turned out to be a pool of lava. I wish I'd had a game like this with my dad when I was a kid, it's hilarious fun.

Yeah granite biomes are rough, especially early on since just being near them causes unlimited waves of granite golems and elementals to spawn. I got penned into an abandoned shack under ground for like twenty minutes just slowly pecking away at like fifty golems earlier. The mine cart tracks are rad though and I kind of want to see how far you can take them, like is there a limit on how vertical you can build with them and whatnot. My only issue with them is that I can't figure out how to get off of the tracks once I get on without breaking the track I'm on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Are there any proper elevators in this game, or any way to set some up? Having an easy way to go up and down would be nice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dang I was hoping they'd implemented actual elevators but I guess I'll have to deal with ropes, yeah, until I can figure out how teleports work. At least ropes are cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Excelzior posted:

oh man, my world is less-than-1% corrupt

and I can't find the last few blocks for the life of me

:shepicide:

e: done! The Real Terraria begins now.

Is there any real reason to purge your world of corruption?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You shut your mouth, Yoyos are the greatest thing ever and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

In other news: I built a thing in Poxins' server!

Solid marble :shepface:

Amazing. How did you get the honey to flow like that? I assume it's infinite. Every guide for it in this game has huge complicated set ups

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Half-blocks create a waterfall effect, so you can build a pool, hammer the edges, and presto, instant cascades!

Also re: Expert mode a couple friends and I have hit a wall with Queen Bee and Skeletron. We made all-new characters in a brand new world but by the first day we had beaten Eye of Cthulu and Brain of Cthulu. Two of my friends have Meteor Armor and the Space Gun and I had Crimtane Armor and the Minishark with Meteor Bullets. Queen Bee flies all over and takes reduced damage at a certain point and then flew off when we had her down to like 500 health and Skeletron's just much more vicious. Since I'm the only one with any real Terraria experience I made sure to give everyone cooked fish and Ironskin potions before the fights, set up platform arenas and put campfires and heart lanterns around but it's just not enough. The wiki hasn't really been updated with any tips for Expert mode bosses so does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to just say "gently caress it" and get my main character with full Spectre Armor, the Bat Staff, Raven Staff, and Magnet Sphere.

So with just a small pool you can have infinite water? That's going to be useful to know. Thanks a bunch.

Regarding Expert Mode: this might be a really weird suggestion but have you killed the king slime yet? I got the Slime Mount off of him and I've just been using that to cheese pretty much everything since then. The only that's killed me since I got it have been accidental falls. Just position yourself under a ceiling and bounce off your target like you're aiming for the high score. I get the feeling expert mode is basically made for people who are either super over geared, or know every cheese tactic in the book.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steelion posted:

The waterfalls are just cosmetic, no infinite fluid exploits here.

Cosmetic is all I was looking for, so it's perfect.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think I'm going to try that slime mount method of killing a guardian later myself because I really want a bonekey and apparently the turtle armor method doesn't work anymore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no these look really good. :ohdear: I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

I feel you on that one. I usually just make a lovely tower and turn each room into a museum of items and bricks while the filthy NPC scum live deep underground.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is there any way to increase your number of accessories? There are so many now I can't decide on which ones I want. If I take any of my jumping ones off, suddenly my mobility is crippled beyond any use but at the same time the mobility ones take up half the slots unless you're lucky enough to find the right stuff to combine them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah he drops an item that you consume to gain an accessory slot, highly recommended

How many of these can you use? Just one?

Also the slime mount method to kill dungeon guardians works fine if you have time for it. I leapt into a corner and five of them got stuck right on the slime. It's taking a good long time but slowly and surely they're dying without getting a single hit on me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I am just now learning you can create biomes, neat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So the wiki talks about sealing corruption and hallow in a lot as if it's something to worry about, and I've never found it a danger in the past. Did they make them spread faster or something? Or is this something I still shouldn't give a poo poo about like before?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So there's horse shoe balloons now, can you make a bundle of horse shoe balloons?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Blood moon, slime rain, eye of Cthulhu spawning and a goblin invasion all in the span of four days on expert mode. :suicide:

Ever since I got cocky enough to start breaking shadow orbs on my expert mode world I've had more blood moon nights than normal ones. I'm getting kind of used to it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

I clearly haven't played in ages--went to make a bed as I recall that changes your spawn point. But I guess you need a loom to make silk now?

Forgotten so many things about gardening and building a base. I think the last time I played there weren't trap doors or traps or anything.

You can find beds under ground or in dungeons too and just steal those if you don't want to bother with a loom. You can also find looms underground and steal those.

In fact I don't think I've crafted a single thing I've placed in my base yet.

symbolic posted:

"190 melee damage"
"it fires projectiles at a rapid rate that home in on nearby enemies"
:stare:

Someone I played with online gave me one. It's amazing for blood moons when I just don't want to deal with actually trying anymore and just sit there holding it out while everything dies. I'm pretty sure the projectiles do just as much damage as the actual yo-yo its self. I used it to farm up stuff on the eater of worlds later and it was just sad, it never even hit me and just kept running straight into its own death.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 3, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tyty posted:

Well, I managed to find a lantern that looked lightbulby enough to finish up my pub room.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the other residents though. Also probably make a new room for the guide since I'm not really sure I like what I built there. I'm no good at building actual houses, but decorating rooms is easy enough.

Zoomed out the upper part looks like a beached, broken ship or something and I thought that looked pretty rad. Just felt like mentioning that.

Anyway I finally finished farming up some rainbow dye and I have to say, I love the dye system in this game. My character is now a a winged rainbow nightmare followed by a terrible rainbow skull and a glowing rainbow ball. I just wish I could find some of those strange plants.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bloomington posted:

Medusa petrifying you from offscreen while you're in midair and dying instantly.

Marble and granite biomes are rough. Started a new expert mode world with a friend and oh boy we were exploring this huge cave system that has overlapping granite, spider and marble biomes and while fending off a bunch of spiders a lone medusa just shows up and murders us both. Expert mode is fun if you don't mind dying a lot, if you're playing a medium character who drops all your items, it's just insanity.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

Pffft, it's fun to do mediumcore on expert but it helps to have friends for a while so if you die the option of wormhole potioning to your friend when you revive is an option. After a while it's easy enough to run in and grab your stuff and mirror home when you die later.

But be prepared to go very slowly, it's really tough.

If you didn't ALSO drop the stuff you had equipped I might play medium. But since you do, running back to get your stuff is even more of a pain in the rear end. It just makes it really not fun in my opinion. Even if you potion back there's a fairly good chance of getting one shot by a slime or something because now you have no armor and no weapon to defend yourself. At least I miss my gold when I lose it but if I want it back I don't have to go through an even worse run.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I wish fishing for quest fish wasn't such a poo poo. I had a fishing pond right next to my house for a surface forest quest fish. Sat down and spent the whole in-game day fishing. I got several gold crates and rare equipment fish. Not a single quest fish.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh. They're too drat common. I mean they're kinda cool and dangerous and different but in practice what happens is you can never ever safely jump anywhere near a marble biome, you can only use your hook to get around or every jump is risking instant unavoidable death. Once the novelty's worn off it gets to feeling kind of bullshit.

Fakeedit: should have started this post with "1.3 is SO FREAKING COOL, but..."

I wish their gaze was an actual projectile or something because it loving sucks to be turned to stone under water by something that's off screen when you don't even know you're near a marble biome.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So since certain ores are equivalent to each other, like iron and lead, does each map only pick 1 of each tier? Since I have been playing I don't think I have seen any of the other type of ore on each map I have explored.

Yes but you can get the other type from the extractinator or chests.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

No doubt a big nerf to them is coming soon, but for now I for one am enjoying the hell out of my grotesquely overpowered yo-yo.

What could you even do to them without absolutely destroying them though?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

kazil posted:

The glove seems insanely overpowered

As over powered as this neat little trick I just found out?

I can do it pretty consistently now. Yoyo's will just slide straight through one brick walls if you move them fast enough and you can just freely flail it around and kill anything outside while it can't get in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tanith posted:

Progress on the sky pagodas.

I'm pretty jealous of people who are actually good at designing things in these games. All I can make are stacks of boxes full of crap.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why space is at such a premium that people feel the need to shove their NPCs into tiny boxes.

Unless you hang a lot of stuff on walls, big rooms look empty and ugly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

This was actually stuff I had gotten legitimately, I've never used an inventory editor or anything.

Not intentionally, and I did check in nearby chests.

I've had stuff vanish using the "Deposit All" button. It acts like it's being deposited into slots that aren't there and it's gone forever.

Internet Kraken posted:

On base chat; you guys who say you're terrible at building pretty bases? I want one of you to take that theme and run with it. Make your base a hideous, ugly pile of junk. All sorts of blocks mashed together into massive heaps. Literal trash prisons the NPCs are forced to live inside. Decorations clashing together in hideous and nonsensical ways. Make a base so hideous that it wraps around into being beautiful.

This is what me and my friend are doing on the world we play together on. Just building rooms randomly connected together however out of whatever. I just recently learned that you can turn platforms into stairs so I don't have to build a screwy network of block stairs and underground tunnels to make every room accessible anymore.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 7, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm convinced I'm somehow triggering an anti-cheating program or something. I just had my moon lord prism summoning staff disappear less then a minute after starting the game and doing nothing but rearranging my accessory slots. I was able to get it back by alt-f4ing since I actually noticed it happen this time.

I cheat out my rear end. After farming up some rainbow dye I now have 99 of every common dye and I routinely give myself 999 torches because going back to the surface for wood is for chumps and have yet to have it affect that. I think the game just shits its self sometimes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sjonnar posted:

The Vortex beater or Phantasm with infinite ammo item or the Solar Eruption make good hard-hitting weapons that aren't reliant on mana. (to which summoner gear does not give a bonus)

Which ammo have infinite versions now?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Marble caves seem common enough that likely as not wherever you try to build a hellevator you're going to run through (or at least near) one. Which means like a third of the time at least when you try to use it you are going to die.

Oh and fun fact, walling it off doesn't help. Medusa gives no shits whether she actually has line of sight to you. If she's on your screen she can stone you and if you're in midair you're dead. If you're not, you might be dead anyway depending what else is going on around you.

I have to agree that "if this enemy appears on your screen you instantly die and there is nothing you can do about it short of investing hours in convoluted countermeasures" is a pretty bad design decision. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

They don't even have to be on your screen, is the worst part. I've been killed in an ice biome because a medusa from a tiny, tiny square of a marble biome was hosed off somewhere I couldn't even see and turned me to stone, causing me to fall through some ice into the water and drown. I love playing the "find the medusa" game before you get killed through stone. Freezing is a lovely status effect too. I don't know why they love completely cutting off your mobility in games where you're entirely dependent on it for your survival.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Hmm if I didn't know any better I'd guess you are being extremely salty over this

It's a legit bad design. Even if you don't die from fall damage, it holds you in place for like ten seconds or more and as far as I'm aware there's noway to stop or reduce it so you get hosed by anything in the nearby area. If that wasn't bad enough they can happily petrify you immediately after you unpetrify too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I finally made some progress on my home.

Behold it in all it's uncreative glory. I need some spooky wood since the next tier is going to be dynasty/spooky.

Is there any way to get the halloween/christmas events without changing your computer clock?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Wall of Flesh: Considerably easier than expected. Actually the easiest Expert boss I've faced so far.

I didn't even notice if it did anything new.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

I hate the Plantera spawn mechanic but only because finding bulbs is a pain in the rear end.

I made an arena to fight it in, died, and then tunnelled down and found another bulb. I smashed it and fled up to my arena, only to have plantera just give up and vanish halfway. I didn't leave the biome or anything, maybe I just got too far from it? Now I can't find any bulbs near my arena. gently caress bulbs.

I'm trying to find one right now so I can make a dungeon go hardmode. And holy poo poo I've pretty much covered every inch of this jungle and haven't found one. There's probably like one tiny patch of jungle in the middle of god knows where it spawned. I really wish they lit up on the map or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just learned that there's a Living Rich Mahogany Wood wand and matching leaf wand.