Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also with the latest patch Chlorophyte protects the jungle from being corrupted or hallowed, I think. The only time I had to dig a trench was to preserve my home base since a patch of crimson was getting too close, and in the end it wasn't really necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

According to the wiki the Starfury got buffed to 31 damage, but I just found one and it's weaker than that, even when I got lucky and reforged it into legendary. Was it de-buffed or something?

I'm building a Sky Railroad to find all the islands / get quick transportation :smithicide:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tanith posted:

Progress on the sky pagodas.

What are those roofs made of?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sjonnar posted:

Dynasty wood shingles. Sold by the travelling merchant.

drat, thought it was craftable. Thanks anyway!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The game now has a shitload of content even before hardmode. I'm enjoying the new world and character I made so much that I haven't even gotten to Skeletron and there is just so much fun stuff to do!

That sad I think I might keep my Starfury for a good while even after I get better weaponry, the star is just too useful revealing caves when underground.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well at least buckets stack now, that's a big plus.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

When you trigger hardmode, is which side the Hallow/Corruption stripes pick random? I mean, can you quickly close the game and try again if you wanted a specific side?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa the Bee Gun just obliterates the normal mode dungeon. Sadly I read that the hardmode equivalent isn't nearly as awesome due to the high def on enemies.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Two times now I've gotten the warning that the Travelling merchant arrives, and then less than a minute later he mysteriously dies. This happened while I was away exploring, and there aren't any hazards at my pre hardmode base. Are my NPCs getting murderous?

I'm gonna have to mirror back next time he arrives and see what happens.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Spergminer posted:

If you have a hellevator thats open or covered with platforms on top you'll sometimes see NPCs jump down the pit and either die, fall into lava or get stuck on a ledge down there until they get mauled by a monster.

Nah I just found out the motherfucker spawned inside my Honey vat and drowned both times :negative:

Gonna have to clean the honey off that hat.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also are drills still annoyingly noisy?

e: oh it seems that they are. I do like the initial motor noise but I wish it kinda faded after a second or so.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I never made arenas for Skeletron Prime and the twins, just use wings and run across the world getting away from them while pelting them with your projectile of choice. I remember killing the destroyer really easy with the mushroom hammer but iirc they nerfed that some patches ago so I dunno what's the best strategy now.

I feel arenas might be only necessary for the events since they require you to mow down waves and waves of enemies efficiently and they always felt way harder for me than the mechanical bosses or Plantera. Speaking of plantera all you need for it is to have a reasonably big space inside the jungle to maneuver away from it, and the jungle usually has enough natural caves so you just need some explosives to set up a proper "arena".

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I loving love sticky dynamite.

The White Dragon posted:

The secret is to grind Nazar in the Dungeon before it switches to hardmode spawns :ssh:

Yeah while killing to get my bone wand I got like three nazars. Is it really the hard to get part of the ankh stuff?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Akett posted:

It's not like you can't make a new world and murder skeletron for an easier time getting nazars. Hell, once you have some good hardmode gear you can make an expert world and enjoy the benefits of a doubled drop rate.

I've made a lot of throwaway worlds for massive deforestation. It's an ecology disaster.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like both but prefer the crimson a lil bit more. Also vampire knives own.

So I'm finally making preparations to trigger hardmode. Made some fishing tanks in the air, a floating surface mushroom biome with a house, a herb farm and I guess I should safeguard my oceans so they don't convert, right? A 4 tile wide tunnel around each of them should be enough? I guess I could dig a small one around my home base too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I always forget about the clentaminator but both my oceans did get converted on my first hardmode game long ago. I think it used to spread faster back then, however.

Eh, I'm just gonna go slaughter that wall of flesh, I'm massively overprepared anyway.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ocean mobs get replaced by light / dark desert mobs, or at least they used to. Might also affect fishing and palm tree growth but I'm not sure.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

being able to replace a wall just by slapping another wall right on top of it loving rules

is that new to 1.3?

Yeah that is indeed loving amazing! I wish it had a toggle though (maybe it does?) because I found out by mistake and was expecting to use the old method to easily fill up my window spaces and ended up wrecking my wall a bit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Isn't there some gaps in the backwall too, near the edges? What is the housing query telling you?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DarthJeebus posted:

Pretty sure it always spawns in a vee shape that surrounds the middle of the map? I've never seen it do otherwise

It does weird stuff rarely, like crossing over with the hallow or being offset. Similarly in one of the throwaway worlds I made for lumber, the start point was almost in the middle of the corruption, which isn't supposed to happen. Other weird stuff that happens at worldgen is that it generates these long, flat spaces with a very shallow puddle, less than a block deep. It does make for some unique worlds I guess...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is the wiki wrong then? I could have sworn it mentions the hardmode biomes start at the middle of the underworld regardless of where you finish off the WoF.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I thought we were talking about the hallow/corruption V shape, not the loot box which spawns over where you killed the wall.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Supremezero posted:

We are. The loot box just shows where you killed it. Thus showing that it's not originating there.

Oh I thought that wasn't his first kill for some reason, and that he was just showing the box.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

350 floaty gross, no vitamins :suicide:

Originally I wasn't even gonna try to get the ankh shield because it sounded awful but then I got 3/4 of the pieces without even trying so I figured hey might as well finish it, couldn't take that long right? RIGHT?!?

Haha I think this just happened to me with the cellphone. Wasn't really planning to get it but every material started falling into my lap so I only need the fisherman's guide now to complete it, and he just won't give it to me. I don't wanna start hardmode until I get it because that gives him more rewards so it'll be even harder to get the stupid guide!

So many goddamn weather radios though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I just got two mini minotaurs and a zephyr fish. Hard choices...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ok so I got my cellphone and... It's too much information, I can see everything forever.

e: vvv yeah I just found that out, thank god vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 17, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Spelunker potions are the best way, but if you're cheap another great method of finding huge amounts of your 3rd tier hardmode ore is to go through the ceiling of the underworld (basically the very lowest part of the caverns), it's incredibly common there, and in big chunks.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So I JUST started hardmode, found the Skeleton mechant and bought the yoyo glove and gradient, got an Amarok from some Ice monster (so I lost that money on the first yoyo but whatevs) then killed like five floaty gross and one dropped the crimson key.

So a good start, overall.

What's a decent number of altars to smash? I think I smashed like 9 or 12 and it feels like enough.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I'm using my yoyo bag with the Ice yoyo and it just shreds hardmode mobs, it's insane. Not so tough now motherfuckers!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was pretty happy with my Ice Yoyo, a beam of Piss and a Deadly Excalibur. So then I smash a crimson mimic and oh here's some claws, haha they swing fast... let's make a dummy and try the dps and :catstare:

OK, goodbye Excalibur, hello Savage Fetid Baghnakhs

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno, I've been having a blast with them. The added size and knockback of the savage modifier really help and they just make mincemeat out of most enemies. I also still use a Yoyo, Golden Shower and Flamethrower so I've got plenty of ranged options. I just demolished The Destroyer with them. Basically I don't use them on anything I wouldn't have used Excalibur on.

I also tried the Twins, and when I just had the laser one left I clawed that motherfucker into eye hamburger.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If it helps here's my strategy for the mechanical trio with early hardmode equipment:

I just used a small about one screen long and one screen high platform bridge to kill all three mechanical bosses. Just rigged a star statue and couple heart statues, a honey bubble, some heart lanterns and campfires. For weapons I just had the Amarok and Golden Shower at first, and later incorporated the Flamethrower when I beat the first two. I mostly had the Yoyo bag and movement stuff for accessories (wings, frostpark boots,etc).

For buffs, I'm incredibly cheap so I used the reusable furniture buffs (the Crystal ball, Sharpener and Ammo box stuff) and nothing else. For healing I didn't even bother with Greater healing, just regular H.Potions but thanks to the heart statues I didn't even use many. For the destroyer you just shred him and avoid the main body, killing any probes as soon as they pop out. For the other two just keep flying and moving around them, making sure to run through the sky platform to pick up your hearts and stars. I didn't have a single problem and I even faced the twins on a blood moon because it was like the third bloodmoon on a row and I was getting impatient. I didn't bother about Skeletron's arms and just attacked the head, and for the Twins just make sure to kill the laser one last as he's mostly harmless.

I'm not sure but I think you don't need the shortest timers for your heart statues, there's a cooldown so you can just use the cheapest timer. I did the same with the small gel farm I made to refill my Flamethrower (just one slime statue but it drops more Gel than I will ever use)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

:negative:

I just confused the steampunker's shop window with an open chest, buying a second clentaminator by mistake, two platinum down the drain.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Seems that the Antlion pit got all the new stuff.

And weirdly enough it feels almost worthless to go there, both pre and post hardmode.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Can't believe I got stuck on the trifold map out of every dumb ingredient, but I got it after like 600 light mummies. I had to artificially hallowify a small desert and use a couple battle potions, but it didn't take that long at all and I have my bitchin' ankh shield now. The mechanical glove makes the Fetid Baghnakhs swing so blindingly fast it's like a mirage.

I ended up with like 20 blessed apples and murdered thousands of fairies. I'm assuming pixie dust is the cocaine of Terraria so now I should be rich.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What do you guys think is better, Chlorophyte melee set or Turtle armor? The damage reflect looks interesting. I'm upgrading from hallowed btw.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I always use building materials like that and it's also a good way to use your magic mirror without having it in your hotbar, avoiding accidental uses.

Another useful thing to remember is that you an take smaller portions of stacked stuff by leaving RMB pressed.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

Few' days ago, I found so much marble...I mined it all.

I have nine stacks of smooth marble now. I might just have to make Castlevania.

Haha yeah I had the same idea and built a Marble Corridor that goes under my base, filled it with candelabras and paintings.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa I went back to kill some more Planteras and hot drat the Vampire Knives just make him a joke after spraying it with some piss.

Luckily the crimson chest was in the very first room of my dungeon so I ran to get them immediately after my first Plantera kill.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ichor ain't that hard to get, just go to the lowest parts of the underground crimson where Lava pools start to show up (always wear your Lava charm underground, kids!), a lot of Ichor monsters spawn down there and they kill themselves in lava a lot of the time. I got plenty of Ichor while hunting for some Souls of night.