Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I made a world to sate my OCD, dug out trenches around the corruption, etc...

when I got to Hell (gorgeous new background!) my pets instantly killed a Voodoo demon

now I'm in Hard mode and my trenches aren't lined with wood :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

before I line my trenches with its beautiful color....does Granite get corrupted/hallowed?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

How wide do the trenches need to be to keep corruption/hallow from spreading? 5 blocks wide with a crafted block covering to prevent enemies from spitting their poo poo on to it to spread it?

I've always thought you needed 3 empty spaces past a crafted block to handle the vines. I usually do 1 layer of wood/3 empty spaces/1 layer of wood. Haven't had any surprises so far

p.s. the murder of crows build owns even more with an added accessory slot :c00l:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jabarto posted:

You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

:shrug: oh well, it looks nice and tidy

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

has the mushroom biome always glowed neon pink during blood moons? man this game is loving gorgeous now

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Supremezero posted:

So I finally actually looked a the achievement list.

Mecha Mayhem
Do battle against the Twins, the Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime simultaneously and emerge victorious.

I, uh, guess everyone is expected to be Yrimir?

:ssh: there's a new level of endgame gear that makes it trivial (you don't have to do it on Expert mode!)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh man, my world is less-than-1% corrupt

and I can't find the last few blocks for the life of me

:shepicide:

e: done! The Real Terraria begins now.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 2, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Is there any real reason to purge your world of corruption?

nope! it's actually counter-productive, because I have to go to other worlds to fight the eater of worlds or farm rotten chunks to summon the destroyer

the BEST thing to do is simply contain it perfectly into an airtight quarantine (which I will do on Hardmode)

e: yay! got my unicorn :3:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 2, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I feel you on that one. I usually just make a lovely tower and turn each room into a museum of items and bricks while the filthy NPC scum live deep underground.

just lol if you don't abuse the npc housing mechanics to cram all of those idiots into a tiny floating prison

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

got my first set of dev items today. pretty neat how they don't insta-gib you anymore :allears:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh man gently caress YOU expert mode Plantera, I am going to have to build such a huge fuckoff arena just to fight you :suicide:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Spergminer posted:

He's the first expert mode boss that an endgame equipped character might have trouble with, he's absolutely terrifying.

tell me about it, I breezed through the mecha bosses but Plantera is a real wake up call

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

well, it took a good bit of digging out, but once I had a suitable arena Plantera went down in a single attempt. Now on to the Golem. Can't wait to see the damage he puts out in that tiny cramped space (since I don't have a Picksaw)

e: what the gently caress, he was a total pushover.....uh....ok? time to hit up the moon lord I guess :shrug:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 3, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dareon posted:

Could you share a shot of your arena? Plantera is my biggest stumbling block in Hardmode, I've never gotten past it.

Three solid platforms in a triangle formation (plantera "grabs" onto solid surfaces)

this should give you the gist of it if you consider the minimap :

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems like yoyos are so good that there's almost no reason to use most swords anymore? I'm not sure what the hardmode yoyo situation looks like but pre-hardmode all the best swords I used to be excited about seem strictly outclassed.

some swords are still....decent

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

LightningSquid posted:

Wow, something in the Jungle just coughed up the Jungle Key for me. I haven't even beaten one of the mecha bosses yet! :stare:

the keys don't work until Plantera is dead ("This key is cursed by a powerful Jungle creature")

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

..god drat it Red, I'm pretty sure back-to-back solar eclipses defy the laws of physics

but noooooo, I have to fight mothron 12 loving times in a row.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e:f,b. Should've reloaded between fishing trips

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but it's not like you lose but .25 seconds reeling the dumb bass in and it's worth 5 silver so :shrug:

You do save the fishing attempt, which counts towards not using up your bait on lovely bass.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 4, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

They need a chair, a comfort item and a light.

You're missing a chair and a light.
He said the message was after putting in the furniture.

Also that message means it's lacking a wall or the room isn't big enough, otherwise it would specify "This room needs a light source" or w/e. Counting the tile tells me they are above treshold so it must be a wall tile missing (they can APPEAR to be filled, but one piece is actually missing - use Smart Cursor to auto-fill the room easily)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

neurotech posted:

Is there any trick to finding the larvae you need to kill to summon the Queen Bee?

look for hives? there's a guarantee larvae in each hive, sometimes 2.

e: once you kill the queen, use its loot to craft Abeeminations to easily summmon more

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kly posted:

I think you need two.

nope

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Akett posted:

Probably ebonstone brick.

oh man that's going to lead to some...interesting... business later on

e: oh wait, you said BRICKS. No problem there, carry on.

vvv yeah, re-read after posting. My bad :(

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

I think you can make Crimstone bricks now, but I'm not certain. I'd have to double-check on that.

As an aside, apparently the sandstone blocks in the underground desert can't be used to make sandstone bricks. That's... kind of weird. Now that they added sandstone, you'd think that you could use them to make bricks in place of sand.

Hopefully future updates flesh out the underground desert more. It seems like the one thing of interest there is the fossils.

UPDATE: I guess there aren't any crimstone bricks. I could have sworn I saw them in the changelog... :(

can't you make them into Flesh blocks/bricks?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

...holy poo poo how did I never notice there is an auto-buff key :negative:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A what? :staredog: Holy poo poo

pretty much my reaction. hit "B" and you will consume one unit of every single buff item in your inventory. you can configure it to different key if you prefer.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

neurotech posted:

What is the furnace-looking item in the bottom right house?
in the glass house? it's a glass furnace

...okay,okay, it's a glass kiln.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

pon alien posted:

The stardust crusader does poo poo damage but he seems to draw agro maybe.

does it yell out ORAORAORA

and if not how long would it take to mod it in

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, that's two, minus the piggy bank I'm no longer confused about.

the last one on the right before the anvil is a meat grinder (turns crimstone into flesh)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

So, sawmill, lizhard furnace, ???, piggy bank, flesh crafter, anvil.

One more to go.

Excelzior posted:

the last one on the right before the anvil is a meat grinder (turns crimstone into flesh)

Sawmill, Cloning Vat (crafting with flesh), Lizahrd Furnace, Piggy Bank, Meat Grinder (for CREATING flesh), Anvil

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

King Doom posted:

I gotta say, the best thing about 1.3 is the screenshot utility. Don't have to spend hour nailing individual screenshots together now.

you're missing a mushroom biome :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

John Lee posted:

Is one supposed to always get SOMETHING, or are some of them totally fake and do nothing?

The latter.

e : if the shrine is colored, it's real. If it's greyed out, it's a dummy.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

pon alien posted:

Leave all the candles in the dungeon intact because you're not going back there in hardmode to take in the sights.

what if I really, really like Gothic furniture

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Supremezero posted:

So, the Sponge has been advertised to me as being an "infinite bucket".

This is a highly disappointing advertisement.

Not only can it not absorb lava, thus ruining the most amazing function of the bucket, you can't even output what you absorb, as far as I can tell.

Back to the bucket-mobile. At least there's an infinite water bucket, but sadly no infinite lava bucket.

1.3.0.4 infinite lava bucket please Redigit!

you mean some people walk around with less than 198 buckets on them at a time

smh

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

and for all of those who feel bad when others post their awesome, creative house designs.. you're not alone, meet the Sky Bunker :

unimaginative, gaudy, efficient.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

me fail English? that's unpossible

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

poxin posted:

All aboard for NPC prisons!

yesss yessssssss :unsmigghh:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Marble caves seem common enough that likely as not wherever you try to build a hellevator you're going to run through (or at least near) one. Which means like a third of the time at least when you try to use it you are going to die.

Oh and fun fact, walling it off doesn't help. Medusa gives no shits whether she actually has line of sight to you. If she's on your screen she can stone you and if you're in midair you're dead. If you're not, you might be dead anyway depending what else is going on around you.

I have to agree that "if this enemy appears on your screen you instantly die and there is nothing you can do about it short of investing hours in convoluted countermeasures" is a pretty bad design decision. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

can't you just wear wings, removing all fall damage

I mean, I don't, cuz I got a loving spaceship and all. But couldn't you?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so the Phantasm bow is ...ludicrous.

You might scoff at its (relatively) low base damage but

it shoots 4 arrows at a time
it shoots faster and faster
the arrows home in on enemies

load up on Holy arrows and any boss just melts - Moon Lord included.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

President Ark posted:

Because the thing that spawns it can appear anywhere in the jungle and there isn't a limited supply of them?

if there was a spawn item, I could spawn plantera asap before the corruption gets even a tick of spread in

but no, gotta wait for - and find - the loving bulb

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

AFAIK only Plantera does anything since 1.2.0.3 - unless you're telling me they changed it back sometimes later?

from the relevant patch note :

Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss