Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Hey, how else are you going to know if you're in the desert or not?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

So it looks like a combination of The Axe for Hammer and Axe stuff (if I can get it to drop) and then one of the Pillar Pickaxes for mining then. Cool, ty!

Shroomite Digging Claws are probably better overall because of their speed; they can tear through most blocks faster than you can walk. The only real advantage that Luminite picks have is their range; they get a +4 bonus while the claws have a -1 penalty. (Oh, and Luminite picks can mine Temple blocks while the claws can not.)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

DaveKap posted:

How about instanced loot? Honestly, the only reason there was ever a problem among my group of friends while playing loot games was when loot wasn't instanced. All loot should always be instanced.

Terraria already sort of does this in expert mode where it automatically gives everyone a loot bag when they kill a boss. (As an aside I wish normal mode did loot bags as well, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than the "boss shits everything on the ground when it dies" thing normal does.)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Cross-post.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Required:

- Terraria Mod Loader (needed to get anything else running, duh. You download all your other mods through the in-game browser Mod Loader adds, too!)

- Hamstar'sHelpers/ModHelpers (used for a lot of other mods, you might not need it but better to have it just in case)

Quality of Life:

- OmniSwing (Makes all weapons autoswing/fire when holding down the button. Why this isn't the default is a mystery.)

- MaxStackPlus (Makes a lot of stuff stack up to 9999, saving on annoying stacks of stone and stuff. Really handy.)

- Reduced Grinding (Makes certain items (mostly ankh shield requirements) drop more frequently, which is really a huge time saver due to the necessity of the ankh shield later on.)

- AutoTrash (allows you to automatically trash certain items on pickup, configurable by you in-game. Extremely useful.)

- Recipe Browser (While a near necessity for content mods, this is still a much handier solution to crafting knowledge than the Guide is even in vanilla. Adds a window you can call up via hotkey that allows you to search out any item in the game and find out how to get it, and also let you see everything an item can be used to make.)

- Yet Another Boss Health Bar (Adds health bars to bosses. Simple but useful.)

- Vein Miner (allows you to set up a hotkey that lets you mine out an entire vein of a mineral at once. Slightly cheaty, but honestly who cares about cheating out the tedium of mining out bits of ore individually? Customizable, so works with modded ores too.)

Quality of Life +: (these change the game a bit more significantly, so pick and choose depending on your tastes)

- Magic Storage (Adds a centralized upgradeable storage solution so you can just dump all your stuff in one place instead of in scattered chests. The reason I can't ever see myself going back to vanilla.)

- Start With Base (Does what it says: let's you start with a moderately customizable base with pre-built rooms for exactly as many NPCs as all your mods combined will ever have. Useful if you're not interested in Terraria's building.)

- AlchemistNPC LITE (Specifically the LITE version, the developer kinda feature creeped his mod into a weird content mod later. Adds NPCs that let you buy potions of all kinds, as well as stuff like mushrooms, stars, jewels and decorative blocks, making this one good for builders.)

- Extensible Inventory (allows you to have as many pages of inventory as you want! Game starts to lag if you have more than 5 though, but that's still 5 times the inventory you'd have by default. Kinda janky to use, but handy for long expeditions, especially with content mods.)

- Fargo's Mutant Mod (adds vendors that sell boss and horde summoning items once you've beaten them once, as well as a couple of amusing endgame-ish options such as multi-boss summoners and a boss rush summon. Can be in QoL+ since they split their weird ultra accessories off into their own mod.)

Content:

- What Mod Is This From? (Simply lets you know what mod any given item is from. Handy and unintrusive.)

- Boss Checklist (Lets you know when and how to fight any bosses added by content mods. Can also be used in vanilla if you don't know the vanilla boss progression, but is generally meant for mods.)

- Thorium (If you're going to use only one content mod, make it this one. Fantastically balanced, filled with content and integrated seamlessly with the vanilla experience, this mod is the closest thing to a Terraria expansion you can get. Highly recommended for any and all.)

- Calamity (If instead of a seamless Terraria expansion you want something radically different, look no further than Calamity. The dev is a bit obsessed with difficulty, and his sprites, while amazing, don't really fit Terraria's existing style. Has an expansive soundtrack by DM DOKURO, a shitton of bosses, many of them post-moon lord, a whole ton of items and two additional difficulty modes. Not recommended for beginners due to the difficulty, but is (usually) a fun challenge for veterans.)

- Spirit (The baby brother of the three big content mods. Roughly in the middle of the two in most terms. Has unfortunately ceased development, but what's there is still pretty interesting, well balanced, and worth playing. Most unique feature is artifact weapons, one for each vanilla spec, which you can use and upgrade throughout the game.)

Content +: (Mods that I personally like, but aren't generally recommended, at least not yet):

- The Enigma Mod (Not nearly as polished as the previous three, but a serious up and comer for Spirit's third place throne, this mods most unique feature is the addition of an "alternate dimension" accessible lategame which allows you to fight highly modified vanilla bosses and has its own set of rules in place. Rather poorly balanced right now, but ambitious and interesting.

- Fargo's Soul Mod (Adds frankly overpowered accessories that require tons of effort to make. Interesting for creating end-game goals, but easily skippable.)

- AlchemistNPC (The original content creeped version of AlchemistNPC. Has some weird end-game goals and some really strange weaponry. An interesting curiosity and not too intrusive, so there's not much harm in having this instead of Lite if you want to see some strange stuff.)

- The Split Mod (Another newcomer on the scene with huge ambitions. Doesn't have too much content yet, but is one to keep an eye on. With impressive animations and some of the few bosses in any content mod to have actual unique "skeletons", this mod is worth looking into even at this early stage.)

- WeaponOut (Personal favorite of mine, and actually pretty light. Originally just did what the name says (lets you see your weapon on your character model while you're holding it) but added some really interesting new weapons and weapon classes over time, like whips that do extra damage if you hit with the tip and fists/knuckledusters that have a combo counter with special effects. Integrated really smoothly with vanilla Terraria.)

Cheaty Mods:

-Wing Slot (adds an equipment slot only for wings. Obviously increases your power level by freeing up an accessory slot, but having so many mandatory accessories is annoying, especially with mods.)

-More Accessories + (grants another accessory slot after beating Plantera, stacking with the extra slot gained after Wall of Flesh. Another obvious power level increaser, but again, mods add a lot of interesting accessories to use so...)

-Cheat Sheet (Used for cheating, obviously, but handy to have when using a lot of content mods as sometimes biomes can get crowded, making it hard to get whatever any specific mod wants you to get.

Don't:

-Tremor (Used to be considered one of the big three content mods due to sheer volume, but it had an extreme case of quantity over quality, with terrible bosses, bad biomes and generally poor balance and design. Avoid.)

-The Antiaris (The new mod by the Tremor devs, where they promised to focus more on quality over quantity. They didn't.)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Not only that, he shines them as well! 3 shiny pairs of shoes!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I'm loving these random world names.

Although I'm not sure if the context of this means "Oh no, Shaty's been hurt! :ohdear:" or " I must hurt Shanty! :black101:"

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1478068341076017154?s=20
:unsmith:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

:eyepop:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1589656901125828610?s=20&t=1HeAdkaoeMJQechEdJj9aA
I love that all the comments are making #FinalUpdate jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

For April Fools Relogic released the "UnDeluxe" version, which is the very first release of the game. You can get it in the betas tab on Steam. (Dunno how it works for the other versions)

How did we ever survive without the smart cursor?