Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Played a lot today on a new world, expert and it's really not that bad. In fact, it feels just about right - the start is much more painful than before, but that makes it more rewarding when you do finally start to work your way to normalcy.

I do worry that hard mode might be a nightmare, since really, Expert at the start just of feels like Hard mode's difficulty range in terms of how stuff hits. We'll see I guess.

I really like the wandering traders that stroll through your town. Also: new deserts are pretty drat savage, at least early on. Rushing for my cactus armor actually earned me a few deaths.

Anyway, having loads of fun and my mind literally breaks a bit trying to process how much poo poo I have to do, which is a good feeling. A full solo campaign of this game has to be inching toward 100+ hours now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Plenty of people like it on mobile, but I can't personally imagine not playing it on a pc.

Also, I don't think the new update is out for anything but PC yet.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
is there even more content coming for this game, do we know?

also, what's the absolute best start you can hope for/pull off by, say, the end of night two in this game now?

I ask these questions cuz i'm probably gonna start a new campaign and I haven't played since hard mode came out and I beat super skeleton or whatever

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
So I'm about to start a fresh co op expert run with a buddy, and we last played on whatever patch introduced hard mode, got to the robot skeleton but I don't think we ever beat it.

obviously there's a lot more now, and I think we're trying to mostly go in "blind" (not that we're ever afraid if looking up how to make stuff or what to do next, mostly just that we're not trying to minmax the gear tread and kind of fly by the seat of our pants as much as possible).

when we last played, one of went hard for magic, the other for ranged, and that seemed to work fine, but this time I'm thinking we'll both just kind of do everything, as long as that doesn't make the gear grind too tedious.

anyway, I was mostly wondering about what we should look to aim for early on, mostly with regards to stuff like getting a potion farm online and finding beehives (I've played since they were added but never got super far and have never found one), or any particular new stuff we should be looking out for early on that might be fun, etc.

it'll be a languid playthrough, lots of time for us to stop and smell the roses and have fun with random stuff, so yeah. anything in particular we should be looking out for?

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
that's fair, but the challenge is part of the appeal, it's not like we're gonna be wearing mismatched not full sets or anything as much as it's the kinda thing where there's no huge plan for looking up strategies and whatnot unless we hit a brick wall.

I know enough about the game that it's not gonna be a big deal I don't think (I've done expert solo through Wall of flesh), mostly I'm just trying to get a feel for if there's some random new early game boss or hidden poo poo we should be looking out for I guess.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
For what it's worth we ignored yall and are about to enter hardmode in our expert world.

The Queen Bee is a huge bitch on expert FYI, but her gun is real nice.

Anyway, I'll report back as we progress since I'm sure hardmode is going to be an actual nightmare. Right now we've been hard at work on an actual, functional home and protective barrier, but based on the few times it accidentally woke up and I played around fighting it, the wall of flesh should be pretty easy (so far the ONLY difficult boss has been the drat bee, which seemed like a much more stern gearcheck in its final stage especially than skeletron, which felt a little weird...also lots of its drops still outclass dungeon stuff, though the hell flower is about comparable to the bee gun), but anyway I'm fully prepared to hate everything from here on out so you know, wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I don't think it's due for another half year or thereabouts, and I think they have like beta or test builds now too, right?

Just going off stuff I've seen in the discord channel. It's possible modders will be able to anticipate the changes for a swifter turnaround after the update.