Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

A good house, for a prick.

Also did this update wipe the worlds? That's disappointing if it did, because that means we lost this world my friends and I made years ago:

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dareon posted:

It's a little more "baobab" than "redwood" :downs:

I like it, it just looks like a big fat tree but it's easily identifiable as a big fat tree. In that second photo, you can see I just tried making a gigantic living tree with a beehive hanging off of it, but my friends and I lost interest and so it's sadly unfinished.

As a side note, I really like that design for the bridge. I tried doing something similar but just left gaps in between the platforms instead of placing blocks there. But I'm worried that the inability to fall through it would hinder the flow of movement in the town.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 2, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

victrix posted:

Is there a better all-purpose light source than torches for mining?

The flare gun is ok, but the light is pretty heavily tinted. I think I want a super-torch launcher :v:

For late or early game? Late game there's monsters you can summon that give off light. I've also seen "super torches," I don't know where you get them but they look like they're generally a lot brighter. As for early game, there's a mining helmet you can find from a rare underground zombie. Otherwise you're outta luck.

Although you could probably turn off the tint on the flaregun by messing with the lighting options in the video menu.

Also is there still a way to dupe water now? Because they fixed that physics bug.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
It's weird what you can get away with and only have a T rating.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I should get back into this game, but I'm not sure if my friends will stick around given how much of a time sink it is. It's hard to tell exactly who will like Terraria, because it's really hit or miss with some people.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

CJacobs posted:

The screenshot tool lets you pin two opposite corners, and the 'take SNAPshot' button (not take SCREENshot) will capture anything inbetween the two pins as one concurrent image. So fly to the top left corner of your base, enter cam mode, and place one pin. Then go all the way to the bottom right corner, place the other pin, and take the snapshot!

I did mine the ghetto way before you kids and your new-fangled screenshot tool. Taking multiple screenshots and hacking them together with duct tape and paperclips.

I think I still have my map files, I should go back and use the screenshot tool to take snapshots of some of my big worlds.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Here's my older maps using the fancy-pants screenshot tool.

This was my first Terraria world that I made with friends I think ~2011ish I think? It survived a few updates but after the world became really outdated, we had to switch.

This from when we came back to the game about two years later when they added the snow biome. Naturally we wanted to set up a snow community. This once again became very outdated when more updates rolled through.

This is our current world, set up on the right edge of the map on the beach area. This is when we started going all-out with the tools the game had. Of all the things in this, I'm most proud of the dark sewer connected to the underground house. I used that weird water tool that makes water drip from the ceiling and another tool which changed the color of the water.

Of course, this map was a huge mistake because we decided to do Expert Mode with brand new characters, which we found out was a big no-no.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Is there a page listing patch notes for these changes yet, or is it a special surprise?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

NachtSieger posted:

How the gently caress did you even build a house underwater?

Very patiently dump out the water bucket by bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

HardDiskD posted:

Hardmode isn't loving around isn't it.

Don't be a big dumb idiot moron like me and do it with a fresh save, because you're not supposed to.

It's still pretty tough but not unmanageably brutal with a late-game normal mode character.