Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Kin posted:

I'm interested in seeing all the new content but are they any tweaks you guys could recommend to make the grinding less tedious whilst letting me keep the same "feel" of the game? I was thinking something like ores would drop x10 per block or something so that I'd still have to hunt them out to progress, but just not as much.

repeating a super tip from pages ago: go to the ocean and fish out (with at least 30% fishing power or so) a nice, orange-tier Reaver shark. this thing is a pickaxe that trivializes existence forever (well, until hardmode). there are other fish as well, Rockfish underground and sawtooth shark also from the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

at long last, with my complete Ultimate Herb Collection, i can create the Final Potion.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

hmm. the house thingy says this housing is invalid. is it because of the erratic shape? I don't think it's too big, at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Archenteron posted:

Stick a wall or door in the middle to cut it into two rooms and see if that fixes it? It looks borderline over-big based on what happened last time I tried to make my merchant a pyramid of riches to live in.

thank you, that was it. i don't think the game handles non-square rooms very well, it seems. the right bisected half works fine, while the left doesn't-- i only needed the dryad to be in there, anyways.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Sticking posted:

I've had this game a couple of days, and I found an arkhalis sword under a tree earlier. According to the wiki it's super rare, am I a lucky arsehole?

under a big tree? that is a pretty nice coincidence, and yeah, most worlds never generate one

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

Um I kinda just beat the pillars and final boss on the first try. The Phantasm I just made helped a lot. Also the only pillar I really found challenging with the Nebula one.

EDIT: Got Lunar flare from the boss, it looks pretty awesome.

good, now start over in expert mode

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

drat, I've backed up and restarted 3 times to kill the WoF, and each time the hallow has generated on the right side instead of the left. is this predetermined?

e: oops, looks like it was the corruption all along. still, I never thought it would be consistent each time, interesting.

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 17, 2015

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

as it turns out, even in expert mode, ice golems are still incredibly easy to cheese under the natural tundra cliff formation thingies. managed to get a handful of good stuff, and had just enough adamantite from fishing to make the frost armor, which is a hell of an upgrade considering I had molten before then

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Verviticus posted:

does a higher fishing power return better crates? seems like i basically only get wood ones

i think the ratio is always the same for crates, unfortunately

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Supremezero posted:

What are the glowy's in the hands? Sapphire Gemspark?

looks like icy living flame

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Holy moly, wall of flesh is kicking my rear end on expert. I made 75 blocks of dynamite and set them off with a detonator as soon as I dropped the voodoo doll, but it still had enough health to chase me halfway through the underworld and caress me tenderly with those tentacles.

I'm just going to stack 200 dynamite and blow it up instead.

Hellwing bow and the hellfire arrows destroyed him even in expert mode. also threw a few beenades in there for good measure but spamming the bow was enough alone

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Wall of Flesh spawns a crimtane/demonite brick box containing all of its loot when you kill it to make sure that doesn't happen.

i think they meant maybe the dynamite would destroy that too, if there was too much going off at different intervals

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Sylink posted:

I got this game on sale and I'm doing ok, but is there some gadget that will display the name of the current biome you are in ?

I have a hard time farming souls of light and end up with these very tiny hallow biomes or its very hard to discern.

you can get hair dye that does that, or just look at the color of the water. the background of the caverns will also change when you are in an actual underground hallow.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kill (underground) ice enemies for an amarok yoyo and find the skeleton merchant to buy a yoyo glove+counterweight and make the yoyo bag. Then go kill a hallow mimic for the bow drop (i guess) and you're set on weapons for the mech bosses.

the yo-yo will drop from surface enemies too. source: ice golem farming

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

OK, goodbye Excalibur, hello Savage Fetid Baghnakhs

they look cool against the dummy but hitting a moving target will be very dangerous

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

How were the normal spiders doing more than the twins? You get a pair of twins per summon and their base damage is a fair bit higher. Do the spiders just get stuck on bosses and hit rapid fire?

they latch on to things and do constant damage, yes. twins have iffy aim and only slightly more actual damage.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

yup that's a blood moon alright

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

iirc hallowed, corrupt, and crimson sandstone walls are the only thing you can't actually craft. Get some pearl-white paint and colorize them? :shobon:

you can't craft mud walls either. but what you can do, i think, is clentaminate regular sandstone walls to turn them into biome equivalents.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Keep everything. There is a rumour that 1.3.1 adds weapons forged from 20 stacks of dirt.

infinite dirt block. 3996 dirt. lets you place lots of dirt

Verviticus posted:

if my only snow biome is crimson as well, can i still get an ice golem to spawn there?

yeah. mine is partially corrupt, and they still spawn there.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Voltin Bolt posted:

I had never seen a salamander before looking at the wiki, and wanted to know why because frankly they're adorable. Turns out, you inexplicably and randomly get two monsters chosen out of the group of Salamander / Crawdad / Giant Shelly to populate your caverns with at worldgen.

drat, that's odd. i was trying to figure this out too- i thought maybe crimson worlds had crawdads and corrupt worlds had shellies, but it turns out it's even weirder.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Cephalocidal posted:

Not for real, they're more to let you build big rear end drops/hellevators without worrying about the splat at the end.

it would be really fun and cool if they functioned more like bouncy dynamite, letting you bounce indefinitely at the same height

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ariong posted:

Hooray, I beat the destroyer! Now, what should I make with these Hallowed Bars? Light Disks, a Melee weapon, a repeater? Should I rack up a few more defeats and go straight for the armor? I can get all of these things sooner or later, but which would you recommend getting first?

light discs would be nice if they had the homing ability of a possessed hatchet, but they don't and are horrible because of that. if you don't want a megashark, there isn't much else to do with the souls. save the bars for armor (if you want, but frost armor is pretty much better), excalibur (for upgrading in the future), and/or pumpkin medallions for fun stuff in the future

Supremezero posted:

See, this is what I expected. It's made from the same thing, why doesn't it function the same way!

it would also make it super deadly, as falling down from a hellevator could launch you all the way up so you can't safely dismount it. sounds good to me though!

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 1, 2015

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

Already beat Duke Fishron and I don't think he has more drops that interest me, what is the simplest Frost/Pumpkin moon arena you can make? I have some traps I harvested from the jungle temple, do I just build a flat colosseum with a high central platform and a lot of traps? I guess I could make new worlds to get more temple traps... Since there's a lot of enemies and item drops I've read that heart statues won't really help much.

traps, traps, and more traps. this is simple but works pretty well against a solar eclipse--probably fine for the pumpkin/frost grunts, as well. it's worth it to have heart statues and an actual boss arena above it for when the big guys come in to play, though (still working on that).

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i don't remember who was complaining about skeleton merchants a while back but they're drat right. it's a bit of a double-edged sword; i want to sell all the lovely mimic drops and stuff from my rod of discord farm, but disabling the mob spawns is a pain in the rear end!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, eventually every endgame melee weapon fires projectiles anyway, it's kinda silly, so just give in to the yoyos since they count as melee damage. At the stage I'm at I use the Terra Blade for heavy damage, the eye Yoyo for tricky enemies and Vampire Knives when health gets down. All of these count as melee and benefit from melee damage bonuses. (plus the rainbow gun as a free, extra damage zone).

have you fought many UFOs yet, because the influx waver is essentially a terra blade upgrade

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

well. just got the rod of discord yesterday, and fighting a few planteras for fun while making an underground fishing zone awarded me the Axe. thank you RNGsus!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

dis astranagant posted:

Small maps are guaranteed 1, mediums 3, larges 4. You're still probably not going to get anything out of them. Actually finding them without firing up a map viewer is left as an exercise for the reader.

flamelash makes it super easy, but at that point an arkhalis won't be doing you much good, let alone the garbage enchanted sword

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

I just watched a video of some guy using the rod to evade the final boss' superlaser, it was sick.

yeah that was my intent, it's nice that you can use it with the UFO mount. also it's a really nifty thing to have in general! but gently caress whomever decided to make the drop rate the same in expert mode as in normal mode.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

while we're on the topic of magic, getting both magic weapons from fishron convinced me to switch over from melee and holy moly do they rend through even the expert pumpkin moon!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

with my world a Corruption world, i feel like i've had an additional challenge in no ichor, and no vampire knives whatsoever. playing the good ol' fashioned way

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ariong posted:

Alright, I just saw some of the background behind the barrier pit I made turn to Crimson and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have to break all the walls so it didn't bridge the gap.

yeah the backgrounds can become "corrupted" and such for aesthetic reasons, but don't actually pose a threat

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

Is that painted stone? If it's crimson blocks then NPCs wont be able to live there.

looks like painted demonite bricks

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Spergminer posted:

Get several charcters outfitted with fleshcatchers/gold rods and end game armour and swicth between them. I ended up doing 4 quests every day on one world with 4 characters.

this is a good idea and i shouldn't have sold that extra hotline fishing hook

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i love my D.C.U.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i'm sure if you teleport the witch doctor to the jungle he'll sell jungle stuff. doesn't have to actually live there. same with steampunker for solutions and such

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

it might actually be possible to out-DPS that with the terrarian but i'm not quite sure

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

fishron was a big bully in expert mode, but once i beat him for the first time to get the cute fishron it got super easy

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Supremezero posted:

That's not how it works. The location of the V is random.

apparently it's random but determined at worldgen or something, because every time i reset the world and killed it again for the first time it spawned in the same (actually pretty OK) fashion.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Cicadalek posted:

Someone suggested you should be able to make an infinite dirt block the same way you can make an infinite quiver/ musket pouch currently. I really wish they would implement that, along with infinite stone, mud, ebonstone etc. Then include a pickup filter so you could tell it to ignore or auto-trash dirt.

i said that as a joke but if they actually added that it'd be pretty neato to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

They did, it's called the Dirt wand.

that just moves dirt, i think