Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Aside from magic storage and the trash slot, are there any mods that are good for just qol stuff? Like I've got the 2 mentioned as well as the boss checklist, is there anything else definitely worth picking up just for smoothing out and streamlining organization and keeping track of important info?
This pone has a lot of features, which can be adjusted and turned on/off in config: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2797518634

Many but not all of them are kinda cheaty.

EDIT: Some more:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789237440
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2831752947
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2793971101
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2687866031
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2626764822

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Omniswing is one of the many thigns Quality of Life does.

In addition it can make stuff infinite as soon as you cross a configured boundary, which I think defaults to 3,996 for ammo. EDIT: this works on any ammo, not just vanilla ones.

On a "slightly more cheaty" note it also make potions passively provide their buff for just existing in one of your inventories at a stack of 30, which also works with mod added potions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

1.4.4 news: corrupted jungle tiles will now stay mud so you can just clentaminate it straight back to jungle
Oh poo poo are we going to get corrupted jungle now??

EDIT: Crimson jungle. Hallow Jungle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think it's 50% on normal, the issue is more with finding nymphs in the first place.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Have any major content mods besides Calamity updated to 1.4 yet?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ah... For some reason I had it in my head that it was a 1/50 or 1/100 drop; I have memories of trying to farm one the first time I made a Cellphone and it taking a very long time.
Oh, it can take a long time. It's nymphs that are rare, so you don't get many chances TO drop it, and if you're in normal mode it's a coinflip each time so quite possible to, say, spend hours finding a total of four and get zero.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know come to think of it, this could be used by mod creators to reduce the amount of purely decorative items filling up "so what can I make with this item" searches. Either add it to that item, or make a version of it for their mod's stuff, or whatever.

... I wonder if you can re-use to the code to like, make it so a furniture set is done in one item instead of the normal way. Still have them work as beds, etc, you just make a "Weird Modium Ore Furniture Placer" instead of having individual recipes for the bed, candelabra, etc. :thunk:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

don’t you need the picksaw to break them?
Not the pressure plates.

... For now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

The accessibility autofire option is literally the best thing they've ever added. Can't believe it took them 10 years.
Where is this option?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does the Don't Dig Up seed do anything differently once you trigger hardmode? Any twists there? I've gotten to the surface but I'm having trouble finding some things due to the changed layout, like blinkroot, and I'm considering stopping if there's nothing else new going on. I probably shouldn't have made it a medium world.

I don't wanna know what it is if there is anything, just if there's something.

Evil Kit posted:

In the General Settings menu (aka the setting menu that opens by default) in the bottom right corner. Should be the last option under the Gameplay column.
Awesome thanks

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The recipe browser is also really good.

Who knows how long it'll be until tmodloader catches up, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Every "important biome" is in normal seeds, too, unless you really want the other evil biome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

Do you still need a mod to make guns/bows autofire that doesn't normally have that feature?

I used to have a mod that when you shift clicked and mined a block. It would mine a set number of connecting blocks of the same type to make clearing out ore veins faster.

Both of the above mods broke at one point, and I never found working replacements as the game updated at a faster pace than the mod loader.
No, that's now an option in the base game to globally turn on autofire. Although not in the latest tmodloader version yet.

There's a few vein miner type things for the latest version of tmodloader, last I checked. I'm using https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2565639705 according to my subscribed mods list.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

The technical limitation (apart from memory) is that poo poo starts to break if the number of containers in the world exceeds a certain amount. Something to do with the way they are coded.
See this is why I want a Terraria 2, there's some really weird/awful stuff under the hood that it'd take "basically just making an entirely new game" to fix.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah the game is probably an ungodly mess of legacy code since it was released... *checks wiki* 11 years ago. Impressive that they are still adding content and changing game mechanics, moreso because it must be a nightmare to deal with.

E: also not even sure what I would want in a new iteration. Starbound tried the gimmick of travelling between worlds but it kinda loses it's charm. The cool thing about Terraria is that progression changes the world state which really raises the stakes and makes the things you do feel like they matter.

Apart from more robust mechanics and game engine, I guess more unique landmarks would be interesting.
I'd like the ability to go to other worlds/planes, but a specific, limited selection. Like maybe go to the Blood Moon or something, or like a Bad Future where the world has been entirely corrupted/crimsoned.

Among other reasons, there's already mods which do this but they do it in a kinda hacky weird way that seems to involve having another hidden world file to go to in the background, so having native support for multiple "worlds" in a world would be nice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eikre posted:

wait but what if the entire game itself was actually true 3d and the environment was just made of big voxels

brb, gonna go prototype this in Java
Maybe you could change up the crafting system! Just put items in a grid and if you match a recipe, bam, you can make the item!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

I play journey mode. I worry about money. Clearly I’m doing something wrong.
Go sell a stack of 9999 gold bars.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

chlorophyte extractinator baybeee
The what now? :popeye:
https://terraria.wiki.gg/wiki/Chlorophyte_Extractinator
... Moss?? You can process fishing trash??

jokes posted:

Same holy poo poo that was tedious. And people liked it.
I liked the game in spite of that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Half-wit posted:

The right way to play the game is still with lots of dynamite.
Scarab Bombs are also good although I wish you could make a version with a shorter fuse and/or that you can fire in a straight trajectory out of some kind of gun.

watho posted:

yeah it’s not instant but it’s quite a bit faster. that said if you have enough that converting it all takes a significant amount of time you could probably just trash most of it. you’re not gonna get any super rare epic items out of it mostly just ore and money
Sub-chlorphyte ore, specifically. Tops out at Adamantium/Titanium.

Silt also has another use, making stucco, so you might wanna not extractinate that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Also is doing the Defender emblems/Old One's Army worth the time?
Do you like sentries? Like, really like sentries?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wings also turn off falling damage even if you're not gliding, I believe, so the horseshoe part is also redundant.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

null_pointer posted:

Dragging this thread back from the dead, I've been playing through the latest update, and enjoying it. I'm getting geared up and preparing an arena to fight the wall of flesh, but the guides I've been looking at say I probably need to quarantine my biomes to prevent contamination from the corruption.

I cannot think of a more boring way to spend a couple hours than tunneling or bombing my way through hundreds of in-game miles of rock and dirt. Do I really need to do this? If so, how do I do it in the least painful way possible? I have a molten pickaxe, but really no digging potions, or any explosives more than sticky bombs.
Not really, and you will in fact want corrupted or hallowed versions of some biomes for new drops. You may need to rebuild bases tsomewhere else to get pylons back online if you have bad luck.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slum Loser posted:

You don't need to do this. It's a hard mental block to overcome but I've only found it necessary if a biome-specific village and pylon were in danger of being corrupted and abandoned. Even then, it's probably just as quick to make a floating island biome and call it a day, plus there's de-corrupting equipment (and potions that highlight corrupted blocks) later on. Usually the one place I don't want corruption gets hit right off the start of hardmode and I just sigh and continue.

If you really want to dig out quarantine ditches now, use one of your alternate loadouts to gear up with ancient chisel, mining set, etc... and use potions and your nightmare/crimson pickaxe because they're faster. Hardmode pickaxes are even faster if you don't mind some spread and a much higher chance of dying.

One thing to worry about is if you did not build your home base dead center, it might get hit by or be very close to the initial corruption/hallow stripes.

Which is why I always build roughly at spawn.

null_pointer posted:

Is there any way for me to get the ocean pylon come before the pirate shows up? I can't get both the merchant and the angler happy.
Only the person selling the pylon needs to be happy. Everybody else can be miserable, and they don't need to be happy to power the pylon. If somebody does not do something that costs money, you don't need to care about their happiness at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phoenix Blaster is pretty good in my experience, especially with autoswing on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In other news, how's that Red Cloud remake doing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

You could make your own world and gather stuff there seeing as your inventory and the contents of your piggy bank are character specific and not world.

And safe, and other such containers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There are mods to undo several of those changes, too.

Personally, I find the dragonball mod fun. And being able to Just loving Fly is very useful against some of the later Calamity bosses. Not sure if the addon to the dragonball mod to make it scale into calamity post-moonlord stuff is on 1.4 though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say, what Bigass Content Mods are there besides Calamity? Over the years I have come to the conclusion I kinda don't like a lot of Calamity's overall design goals, and I am genuinely uncertain how you're supposed to fight things like the Devourer of Gods without being able to Just loving Fly like the DBZ mod lets you.

I know there's Thorium and Spirit, what else is there?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So what's the latest news in Terraria modding? Any new big mods get complete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just something simple like planet that would loop back around after an ocean or two would be cool
Maybe a limited, specific number of alternate dimensions, too. Maybe going to the Blood Moon physically, for example. Infinite numbers of planets like Starbound had didn't really work out, especially since they were all very, very similar. A set amount of Places which are guaranteed to have Something Of Interest in them is better, I think.

Mods already implement this but it's kinda hacky so having support from the base game for it would be helpful.

Also the current world sizes were set well before all the biomes were added so it gets really cramped, and sometimes surface biomes get entirely eaten by the corruption/crimson, or such.

Basically what I want is A: some iteration and new content, but a lot of the old stuff can be re-used, and B: more improtantly, buildign th game from the start knowing a lot of what's going to be added.