Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

i was reloading posted:

I've seen stuff about Terraria all over the place and after reading this thread, I finally decided to buy it. Got it on steam. I have a mac. Goddammit.

The Mac client is supposed to come out soon actually.

quote:

We do want to give our Mac and Linux Terrarians a quick update as well. Based upon current status and planning, the plan is that Mac/Linux will launch shortly after 1.3 - aiming for a launch within the month of July. This is being done to ensure the most stable Mac/Linux builds possible so that everyone has the best experience that we can provide.

At this point the mobile and console versions will probably take just as long to get the new update (if ever. The console version was made by another company, I think,) so you might as well wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

legoman727 posted:

Expert is fantastic bullshit and just not worth it.

Where are people getting stuck? I hadn't played Terraria in like two years so it's been great fun and I'm kind of worried I'll run into a wall. It IS kind of frustrating at parts, killing the brain was a pain, but there's so much to discover that it's hard not to keep playing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just beat expert Skeletron, might have been pretty overgeared for it since it wasn't that hard. I used a combination of spiky balls all over the floor plus armor, bow and arrows made out of hellstone to take out the arms. Then I did bee gun plus more arrows to finish the head off.

I also had the slime mount for the jump height and speed boost since getting hit by the spinning skull is a one hit kill. I imagine you can easily replace it with +movement accessories, the eye shield or building a long and flat arena though. I forgot to use my potions too but I managed a pretty comfortable win anyway.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Holy gently caress I just had my first expert hardmore goblin invasion. Suffice to say that I died thrice and lost like 16 NPC.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RatHat posted:

Any benefit to using a trap door instead of wood platforms?

By the way, how difficult is the Martian invasion event compared to the Pumpkin and Frost moon ones? It looks much easier to me but the downside is you can't start the event whenever you want.

EDIT: Man this feels like a whole different game with grappling hooks. Makes rope almost useless though.

See those platforms on the right, in the middle of the bridge? It was supposed to be a fishing hole but the pond would feed on the souls of NPCs and I'd get someone drowning like twice a week. Now I just have a single trapdoor there and open it whenever I want to fish.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

For reference it took like 60+ ingame hours for the hallow to begin creeping up on my base and for crimson to eat a chunk of my ice biome. Both problems were solved with like 10 minutes of cleansing.

Speaking of spending a lot of time ingame; I finally built everything I wanted and defeated the final boss on expert mode too. Had well fed bonus, ironskin, regeneration, endurance and lifeforce potions, an ichor flask, beetle armor, solar eruption and cosmic car key.

Fight took like 8 minutes, judging by the two rounds of buffs I had to do. Just flew around while swinging for the head eye then going in a circle to avoid the big laser beam during the first phase. After that I flew straight up and down (or was it diagonally? I forget) to evade some of the garbage the boss throws at you all during the second phase. I got lazy and used a mirror to go back to a hut with the nurse like 6 times too, couple of those one after the other cause the boss pummeled me too hard while walking out the house.

All in all I'd say it wasn't that hard, took less tries than something like the Wall of Flesh, but you really do need the nurse if you are not going to do something to evade the mouth tentacle thing so you can use lifesteal during the fight.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Apparition posted:

Is there any reason to not play Expert mode for your first playthrough aside from difficulty?

It can be frustrating and if you haven't played the game before you'll probably end up spending a lot of time trying to come up with strategies that might or might nor work. Chances are good you'll also have to resort to guides just to see what kind of potions and things like that you can craft/farm for just so you can gear up for the big fights.

If you are ok with that, go ahead. If it sounds a bit tedious, you can find solace in the fact that most expert mode gear is not reaaaally mindblowingly good anyway (the increased drop rate is nice though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

So there's no reason to go through on expert when you have defeated everything in normal on hardmode?

It's way loving harder so the challenge is the main attraction. If you already cleared the game? I guess it would depend on what gear you have. If you are missing on a lot of stuff that would otherwise need to be farmed for (whatever rare items you can think of) then it might be worthy doing an expert run for it.

SirSamVimes posted:

I've got a Terra Blade, should I be using a Yelets+Bag instead?

Carry around both and use them depending on the situation.