Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

I've got some pretty big ones in the desert in my current world. Made entirely out of sand though.

Anyway, how do you get the first real tier of important picks? You need shadow scales to craft it but to fight the boss that drops those you need a pick that can break the stones you need the shadow scales for.

You can bomb your way through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samopsa posted:

Or you can use the purification powder sold by the druid to make turn the corrupted blocks into normal stone.

Explosions are more fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah that's why I also always build it basically directly above the midpoint too :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

At least, I assume they still do the whole "stripe of crimson/corruption" and "stripe of hallow" V-shape there it centers below the midpoint of the map still.

I think it centers on the Wall of Flesh, actually, which tends to die in the middle of the map the first time you kill it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The background can't be natural. Also, you can't place walls over natural backgrounds. You need to break them first.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

It's less about how poorly the clones did and more about how perfectly Terraria did it. The factors that make Terraria gel into such a good game are varied and many, so copying them all in order to nail the same feel would mean creating something so close to a "clone" that everyone would call bullshit on the dev. Starbound was close but they still couldn't come up with a way to make the core play loop as fun, let alone build a sustainable UI to stand up to the utter insanity of inventory management. Everyone else wasn't a former Terraria artist so everyone else either ended up with a lovely looking game or a game that tried to be something else and couldn't execute.

The main reason Starbound failed was because they said "hey let's make Terraria but in space" then Tiyuri looked at a list labelled "things that made Terraria fun" and said "let's do literally none of these things."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
No, that's not what obfuscated code looks like. Red was a terrible coder at the time. Like all of the weapons were the same class and a huge pile of if else if was what showed the graphic or something.

A lot of Terraria's code is very, very bad. Or was, at least; it's probably been cleaned up a lot since.

Obfuscated code renames all the variables and functions into gibberish, removes comments, and obliterates white space. It takes readable code and makes it very unreadable to people but still readable to machines.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea I noticed a lot of that too. Just goes to show you that actually executing an idea can be worth millions, meanwhile I can't finish a small Unity project because I hate my code.

The code doesn't need to be perfect it just needs to work.

But yeah Terraria would have benefited from less bad code. Minecraft is apparently having issues implementing new stuff because so much of the code is a spaghettified mess. I really wonder how much that's also been true of Terraria. Granted in this case I get the feeling they've been fixing that given how much new content has come out.

Also I run into the same problem; despite having a game Greenlit I still haven't sat down and actually finished it because I keep starting over and rewriting it. It seems like every time I read a new software engineering book I find an excuse to just rewrite everything I've ever done.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Stormbow with holy arrows trivializes all three mechanical bosses. Fighting them with anything else is just voluntary hard mode.

In the case of The Destroyer I trivialized that fight with a medusa head. It hits every segment in range each time you blast it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kalas posted:

I think I paid $20 for Terraria when it came out, though I'm not sure if I got my value from it.

I bought it on sale for like $2 or something like a billion years ago. It was like "oh it's that Terraria game people are talking about. Guess I'll buy it."

I actually feel kind of bad for not paying full price I've played it so much. It's a very good game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Some of what were considered the greatest films ever made simply can't be watched now. They literally don't exist. Some of the greatest actors of the silent film era can only be seen in a few scenes that have survived, if at all. There were times that entire libraries of TV shows were just dumped because nobody wanted to spend money storing them anymore when whoever owned them went bankrupt.

Do remember that for games there was a time that a $500,000 budget was enormous and games weren't expected to have a life beyond their current generation of console. Mostly you expected to release it and then never change it again, ever, so why keep the source code or original assets? Also note that this was a time before gigantic repositories of code were feasible. In the 1990's in particular hard drives were still measured in megabytes so it wasn't like today where you have cheap rear end terabytes easily accessible. Games were mostly distributed on physical media so you didn't expect to make modifications after release unless it was a PC game. Even then you didn't want to have to rely on patches and numerous updates. The game had to be playable right out the gate. For consoles you got one release, typically.

Of course now that storage is cheap as balls and you can still make money off of old media thanks to this here internet thing it's easier to justify storing things in redundant backups forever, you know, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eschenique posted:

I remember when Skeletron was the final boss of the game and I killed the big worm and eye of Cthulu to get gear to fight him.

I put something like 80 hours into the game and thought "yupp this is a full and good game and I more than got my moneys worth"

I bought the game on sale for like $2. It was like "oh it's that Terraria game people have been talking about, guess I'll try it." Hundreds of hours later...