Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I gotta say, the best thing about 1.3 is the screenshot utility. Don't have to spend hour nailing individual screenshots together now.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Excelzior posted:

you're missing a mushroom biome :colbert:

The Mushroom biome is built into the giant wall sectioning off the central forest. There's also a skylake/airboat and a desert skyboat, but I could only fit the main ship in.

Edit: Originally the Mushroom biome was above the jungle biome, but they do not play well together and I had to move one.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2015

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So what are the Goon servers? sudden itching to try multiplayer for the first time ever.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm unclear on how nymphs work: I have a grinder in rmy underground ice biome, it's just a screen full of single-block ice rows and minetrack, so I can ride my cart through the grinder over and over and eventually pick up everything dropped by enemies who die on the track. I have a stardust dragon out to do the killing, but I don't think I've ever found a nymph in this world- does that mean she'll always be killed as a lost girl, and have no chance of dropping the metal detector?

On an expert world, a nymph/lost girl has a 50% chance of dropping the wossname item. On an expert world it's 100%. Doesn't matter if they are a nymph or lost girl when they get killed.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Pretty sure I got mine from a Lost Girl, but it's prolly not worth the risk given how rare they actually are.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Lakitu7 posted:

Wow they really buffed Destroyer since last time I played. I really thought well fed, ironskin, regen, magic power buffs + spooky armor set + magnet sphere + paladin hammer would be enough to win without a whole lot of prep but apparently not! Those things just pound me with damage even though I'm using equipment from my old character that's a few tiers above what I'm supposed to have. Does it basically require an arena now? What's the go-to strategy?

Last time I played Golden Shower would just murder it but I read that it was nerfed into the ground. Is that still better than the above?

Just build a decent sized box big enough to be inside and still have enough room to avoid his body - the drones are kept out by the walls, and they do the bulk of the damage.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Nuebot posted:

What could you even do to them without absolutely destroying them though?

They'll prolly do what they usually do and nerf the spectre set again.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

RareAcumen posted:

Rather than agonize over what to do and never be satisfied, I'm gonna post my base and ask if anyone here has any suggestions.

I just took out the doors on the first two floors and I'm just gonna use the trap doors because the NPCs don't get stronger once you activate hardmode.

I've got to make room for another four NPCs and that'll be it.

Turn it into a giant armoured land train.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone else noticed items randomly vanishing from existence on them? I've had 4 items, including a summoning staff from the Moon Lord just up and vanish on me in under an hour today. I'd say I'm just being clumsy and losing stuff but I was working on a a building project so if I had dropped it I would have been able to find it. I also never remember just straight up losing poo poo like this before in Terraria. Does hard mode have some sort of item degradation or something? My inventory was full at the time, if that makes a difference. On an unrelated note, is there some sort of cheating program that will let me give my character items?

Did you use the autosort button? I was loosing stuff as well, till I realised it was sorting items into nearby chests as well, as long as there was one of the item in there already.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

poxin posted:

Nothing like beating expert skeletron with an army of bees and 10 goons!

Not as good as when the queen bee got into the railway tunnel.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

President Ark posted:

If you've killed the mech bosses then A) corruption spread has slowed down, and B) chlorophyte ore has spawned, which converts corrupt dirt back into mud and re-jungles it.

Seriously I don't understand where people got the idea that the corruption will just burn right through their jungle and make it impossible to progress if they don't rush right through everything. It takes ages for it to convert a single tile just because the odds of it getting the jungle grass off the mud and turning the mud into dirt before the jungle grass grows over it again are so low.

When you kill the WoF it creates a V shape of hallow and corruption across the map. Depending on the size of the map and where things spawn, it is possible it can go through the middle of a jungle, so when it happens people go 'oh no, corruption spreads too fast!'

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird kind of question. What does the most damage? I would assume it's the stuff dropped by the final boss, but does anything outclass the yo-yo he drops?

The last Prism from the end boss is utterly insane with the right build. I managed to kill the destroyer with it in around three seconds of glowing hell.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Weird. I've gotten "you killed your 50th Black Slime!" or whatever and the accompanying banner when something just falls into lava and dies with no input at all from me while I'm digging up silt or something. Just happened two days ago with skeletons.

Yeah, my lava defence pit apparently killed enough rabbits to give me a banner earlier today.

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe it's different between single and multiplayer? In single player the game can credit every death to you but in multiplayer the game would need to track who is killing what, and might not be able to track projectiles that aren't directly from the player.

I will say that last night on the Goon multiplayer server I killed an enemy and another player who was closer and also afk was awarded the banner. Dude wasn't well equipped and didn't have any active defences up.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 8, 2015

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Acne Rain posted:

Is it possible to successfully take down duke fishron with anything besides cholorphyte bullets?
They're pretty annoyingly expensive especially when I just spent all mine on making gear and need to wait for regrowth

If you can get the UFO mount from the Martian Madness even, then that and a magnet sphere lets you laugh at him. Just gotta keep moving, and since you can fly you are staying above all the tornados and stuff.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

SirSamVimes posted:

Fishing the surface jungle in hardmode is the worst experience in the world. Derplings are awful.

Then the game gave me the Seedler and I forgave it everything. Sweet christ this is a good sword.

You actually fished that up? on the surface or underground?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

The Moon Monster posted:

What program are people using to take screenshots of large areas?

New feature for 1.3. Press f1 to atctivate.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So what's the best Terraria editor?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

You good people sir. You are good people.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

LLCoolJD posted:

I beat Moon Lord on my first try. Still waiting to beat Duke Fishron. Thing keeps charging me to death :emo:

Cosmic Key from the Martian Event and whatever heatseeker you like. Just fly in circles and murder him. If you can kill Moon Lord, you can get the nebula suit and the nebula arcanum, they will END fishron.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Wait, so this new patch fucks up the use spikes and honey to kill moon lord technique?

Dammit, anyone else know any ways to kill that thing?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Has anyone got a crawltipede banner? I just noticed I've killed the Moon Lord something like ten times now and the Crawltipede kill counter is still at 0.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So, Pinky just dropped a Slime Staff. What're the odds on that one?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I want to say that higher fishing power gets better stuff. I spend ages fishing for an ichorfish and a seedler, didn't get anywhere, came back with better bait and a full fishing loadout with 100+ skill and got almost nothing but special items, crates and the items I wanted in like 20 casts each, compared to eighty odd casts that just got crappy fish.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
38 nymphs to go till I get my banner, 39 till I get the Tim banner. Ho hum.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Every other moonlord fight has involved an event kicking off. Blood moons, slime rains, solar eclipses and a single goblin invasion. No martian madness yet, but I doubt I'll fight moonlord again now I got all his drops. Kinda funny when I jump down off my platform and the Stardust Dragon has created a carpet of coins and items for me.

Dareon posted:

I think two accessories would make things much better just for quality of life: A Boomerang Glove that makes every melee weapon hurled, and an Autoswing Glove. Possibly tinkerable together.

No, you see the reason you could never have all weapons autoswing is because it would ruin the game due to the following reasons: :fart:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Senor Candle posted:

I bet it has more to do with the fact that the meteor can't land on something that's only one block thick anyways, so it probably doesn't even count it.

This isn't true, a week or so ago I had a meteor hit a few stray floating blocks of dirt. The entire meteor was about four blocks in size because of it.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Oooooooh, when you summon the twins be sure to do before, during and after posts to keep us updated!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Once you know the trick, the destroyer is easier to kill than anything. If you happen to be the sort of person who obsessively collects everything and you have a stack of dart trap blocks and a few heart statues you can basically afk farm the thing. The twins take a bit of preparation, but the main thing here is anti-gravity potions and a megashark with crystal ammo. Pop potions and just keep moving up and down and vaguely to one side and they really struggle to keep up. The last hardmode boss who I don't think has been mentioned yet really does need an arena though.

Oh, and for the newbies, one more thing about hardmode. If you go into a glowing mushroom patch and see an odd looking worm wriggling around the floor, CATCH IT. You only get one shot before it escapes though.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Alright, since everyone is sharing bases again, here's my secondary base. You have no idea how many times I needed to summon ther slime king for this.

It's still kind of a work in progress, hopefully as I get trophies and suchlike I can fill in the spaces. This was a brand new character on expert. Still haven't gotten better than crimson gear.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 20, 2016

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If you have enough dart trap blocks you can make a tower of them, build an enclosed room on the top, set them to autofire and laugh because the fight is suddenly incredibly easy.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
It's worth building a wall to seal off a big chunk of normal terrain around your base first. The crimson/corruption spreads fast, and eventually if it gets close enough it'll make your home uninhabitable.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

That's my main base. The main ship is home for everyone, sans the mushroom guy who lives in an underground vault and the tax collector who lives on his own on the skyship carrying the air lake. To the right you can just make out the beginning of a track that crosses a third of the entire large size map and leads to the sea, and just below the mushroom vault is a fortified cave and cavern lake area so I can fish in peace.

As an aside, if anyone has any idea of how to actually create a desert biome, that'd be great. Just piling sand up doesn't trigger it.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Sjonnar posted:

Yes it does, but it takes an epic fuckton of sand, way more than you have in that boat. 1000 blocks, to be precise.

If I remember right, back when I built that all the info I could find said that 400 or so would work. Looks like I have a bit of building to do! Doubling the length of the boat should fix it I think. Maybe make an ocean biome boat as well, if that's possible...

Edit: I forgot to mention this earlier, but for people just starting hardmode for the first time it might be worth running to a lake in the jungle, corruption/crimson or hallow and building a little bunker you can sit inside and fish in safety. Aside from crates there's some new toys you might find that aren't exactly terrible.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 21, 2016

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Looks like the new patch has gone live, lesse what they added this time.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Oh sweet mother of god, all the angling accessories can be combined into one!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think the worst part is the compulsion to want to grind out the cellphone again. I can't come back because then I'll suicide from fishing.

I'm one fishing reward away from three of them. Or four. I don't remember anymore. Someone help me.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
What the gently caress did they do to all the existing saves? all mine are gone!

Edit: It's all gone. 621 hours of playing all wiped out for no reason.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 9, 2016

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

So I finally decided 'to hell with it' and at least farmed a normal world to get Titanium Armor together, since it's what I used for most of the endgame previously and Frost Armor (which I had thrown all my previous Titanium into) just wasn't cutting it. It was surreal having the Twins spawn and taking them out trivially with no arena.

This made a huge difference in fighting the Destroyer back in the Expert world...only for me to get it down to 1/3 health twice and BOTH TIMES a wyvern showed up to completely ruin my dodging pattern because I'm on a small world and my home elevation is high enough that I can fly up into sky spawns by accident quite easily. The wyvern actually got both kills.

Time for Ol' Amish to rethink his strategy again. :corsair:

destroyer is pitifully easy if you have enough traps. There's a tower you can build with them that basically ruins him to the point you almost don't need to dodge at all.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone know how to start the new events?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a new NPC, a tavernkeep, which you should find lying unconscious somewhere. Once you wake him up he'll sell you items relevant to the DD2 crossover content, including a crystal that can then be used to start the invasion.

Ah, cool. Don't suppose you can confirm if he spawns in pre 1.3.4 worlds, can you?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The new mode is pretty fun, but I think the banners are bugged - I killed a few hundred of most critters, but I only got one banner (the lightning bug one) which was odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Fat Samurai posted:

Got this thanks to DoubleNegative's LP, which I'm using as a sort of walkthrough because I'm bad at making my own fun. Should I bother trying to stop the corruption/crimson early or just roll with the punches?

Early on you can stop the spread across the surface with sunflowers from the dryad, later on if you decide to block off a chunk of terrain you'll have much better equipment to do it with, so nah, don't go crazy early. There's also reasons why it wont work.

RealFoxy posted:

I just beat Wall of Flesh for the first time, what's the recommended items/gear and things I should grind for before fighting the mechanical bosses, and what order should they be done in?

Destroyer is easiest. If you have a stack of salvaged dart traps you can butcher him, but if not the trick is still pretty much the same - build a room in midair, block walls on the walls and roof, platform floor, make it big enough to dodge around in and just stab down with a spear. The walls will keep all the drones off you, the body itself isn't difficult to avoid.

Next is the twins. You need a ranged weapon, ranged gear and a big stack of gravity pots. Don't stop moving and don't let them get too close.

Skeletron Prime is ...well, you need a nice, big arena for him. Maybe a couple of buddies in endgame gear in it.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 27, 2016