Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey, I'm sitting pretty in Hardcore pre-mechanical bosses and I'm looking to try out a mage build. I was wondering, aside from Mage-hat titanium/adamantium armor what should I look for? I already have Laser Rifle and Shadowflame Hex Doll, if they're any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So this May 22nd patch is the one with PC Controller support, right? I really hope that it's well done; I'd love to play this game on my couch.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Since we're talking about base structure, and since I'm reinstalling the game right now!, I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on Workshop and Storage layout, and how to relate them to one another. I've always had trouble finding the right balance between too many and not enough chests/categories, and how to place them around my workshop so I have an easy time accessing all the materials I have stored without having to go waaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

EDIT: ^^ Yes, piggy bank money (and I THINK safe money?) counts when you're at a shop, even if the shop is waaaaaaaaaaaay underground.

My experience fighting them the last time I played was pretty rough but it was made a lot easier by some preparation. Got myself some Adamantium/Titanium armor, made myself some Wings, and built a large, multilevel platform arena. The Adamantium/Titanium was easy enough to grab, I just skimmed along the roof of Hell since the Tier 3 Hardmode Ores tend to spawn deeper than not, with the added bonus of being the safest place in the game at that point. You'll need Souls of Flight from Wyverns that spawn in sky areas. if you built yourself a skybridge, that's the place you'll find them trusting it's high enough.

A good sized Arena is going to be the biggest help. Having a place where you can rather freely move around is a godsend against the mechanical bosses. All I did was make rows of floating platforms a few screens across and a few screens high, vertically spaced based on the highest point I can place while standing on the platform below. Simple, but it worked. I'm sure other people could give you tons of pointers on how to maximize your Arena Effectiveness, though.

DOUBLE EDIT: oh, and POTIONS! I hadn't really used many potions during Normal mode except for healing, but in Hardmode I found that I really, REALLY needed to stack potion buffs to stand a chance. Get producin'.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

What's a good way to get started with farming materials for making potions? I haven't bothered with that at all since I got so much stuff from chests underground etc.

Talk to the Dryad and set up some planters. They come in different types, but that's purely a cosmetic difference to help you organize your garden so go hog wild and plant it all in Daybloom planters if you wanna. All you need then is some seeds, a bottle placed on top of a workbench, and a single block of water for you to make Bottles of Water with. There are some monster drop materials but aside from monsters you can spawn with statues (like sharks) you'll need to hunt them down yourself.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I keep a 10 room tenement building for new arrivals but I try to build themed buildings or expansions for them the move into ASAP. Typically in themed groups, like the Wizard and Steampunker in a techno-wizard tower! The save I had before my HDD died on me had a neat li'l walled off town with all different kinds of buildings, but really that just lead to everyone dying repeatedly during invasions. This time I'm thinking about a wide, raised castle to try and keep everybody safe-ish at least.

On that note, any tips for building safe entries that won't have goblins spilling through?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Just started a new Crimson world and I'm pretty pleased with the startup base I put together.

It's a Base-base! I'm going to be putting up great "pillars" using the Stone Slab Walls to support the castle that will house my NPCs safely above the ground. It's particularly set up so I can access my consumable adventuring supplies like torches and bombs through the roof.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who regards video games, Terraria included, as a solo pastime, I'm bothered by the number of bosses that seem almost undoable solo. I've yet to get to things like the Frost/Pumpkin moon or the alien invasion, but the consensus seems to be that they are exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, solo, and that bothers me because I want to enjoy the content without having to find a tag-team partner. The fact that a number of bosses despawn after a relatively short amount of time no matter how you are doing is also a pain in the rear end.

If you haven't been stocking up on buff potions, or creating outdoor arenas to fight bosses in, start doing so. I used to ignore these parts of the game and came to the same conclusion as you. All that changed when I began hedging my bets with potions, campfires/heart lanterns and heart statue mechanisms.

If you have been doing this, then I would start evaluating your equipment.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

You can also reforge your weapons and trinkets for better affixes. Speaking of, what are the kind of affixes that I should be aiming for on my trinkets??

Edit: if my spec is a significant factor, I'm currently melee with a Terra Blade, Vampire Knives and one of those homing axes you get from the Golem.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I also inevitability build a skyrail after making my NPC Apartment Complex. The only issue I have with it is that it feels tacky, but I can’t imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to build and maintain a subway under the surface.