Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
So does expert mode have any unique loot or what, because the damage is pretty wild for a new character to deal with!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

I think so, but it's a world setting, so maybe it's not intended for new characters?

EDIT: Not that this is stopping me from trying it out :v:

Yeah I was giving it a go anyway on a new character and it was doable. Nearly killed King Slime during a slime rain event. Gonna leave it until I gather the squad and go crazy later in the week.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

Yes! Bosses drop a treasure bag with a unique item in it (seems to be one item per boss, unless I got really unlucky). Both people in my game got the item when I opened the treasure bag, which is rad. Either that or it dropped two bags and I didn't notice.

The Eye of Cthulhu's expert mode drop is really cool.

oh HELL yeah.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I always get bored when I start to try and dig a 4-tile gap through the entire world to section off the corruption/hallow before going into hard mode, it's just a real pain in the rear end to dig through like 500 tiles of water while stopping for breath

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I just looked up one of the Calamity bossfight songs and it was such a banger I have no option but to install and play this now.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I started on expert and turned on all the bonus difficulty items and got instantly hell murdered by the slime king, but we'll see who's laughing last after I mine every planetoid and open every sky chest thanks to DBZ flight.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

watho posted:

calamity adds a boss before EoC that makes the early game a lot smoother imo

I should have checked this before getting a big head after beating up the slime king, as I summoned the Eye and he whipped my rear end. 1000 ki is not enough to try and tag him with a starfury until he dies while using flight to dodge, I'll go check out this other boss and maybe also make a gun and try again.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I also turned off revengeance mode because I'm at peace with being a scrub :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's a shame, Revengeance mode is basically the only EXTRA DUPER HARD MODE from any of these mods that actually adds interesting new twists to the fights. King Slime getting a projectile shooting gem at half health and then a burst of speed when nearly down makes it a much more intense fight.

I just couldn't dodge the EoC once it started going buck wild and doing the multiple charges and I threw in the towel for that + Hive Mind, but I'm thinking of revisiting this later on with a pal and we'll smash our heads against Revengeance mode together or die trying. After not playing for god knows how long I'm covered in a thick, beautiful coat of rust and really needed that EoC expert mode shield for the doubletap dodge move.

That said, I just realized I could use mods to puke out more items to retry the boss fights quickly. Currently firing on one cylinder while ill, a hell of a time to learn this mod. :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I'm back after going through all of Calamity. It took a while but it was an absolute blast. Can't imagine I'll find something more fun this year, I'm already itching to go back and play through with a different build.

Gotta admit I didn't interact with the craftable Souls in Fargo's mod at all, maybe I'll try to actually do that next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Who the gently caress thought this would be a good title bar message? ...

Yes, it's hilarious for people who know what that does, but the devs don't have any hooks in place to catch it.. it still force instantly closes the game.

Noob down.