Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Unless you've built really deep or really far to one side, it's unlikely the hardmode corruption will reach it anytime soon. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pretty much this. I haven't played since 1.1 and I've been moving really slow after defeating the wall of flesh on normal. The hardmode corruption did reach the center on my small world but I made it all the way past golem before it getting there.

At that point you're just ready for a new world because the current one has been gutted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Hey, I'm sitting pretty in Hardcore pre-mechanical bosses and I'm looking to try out a mage build. I was wondering, aside from Mage-hat titanium/adamantium armor what should I look for? I already have Laser Rifle and Shadowflame Hex Doll, if they're any good.

I'd also suggest getting the Daedalus Stormbow for when you run out of mana. Its the perfect weapon for all three mechanical bosses when paired with Holy Arrows or Hellfire Arrows.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 15, 2015

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

You should never use a backup weapon as a mage when you can just chug pots though.

Most of the suggestions I've seen so far are good but I'd like to say that despite what the wiki says, the crystal vile shard is actually useful. The damage isn't fantastic compared to other magic weapons but unlike almost all of them, it pierces through blocks. This means you can safely spam it from behind blocks too kill enemies that can't reach you, which can be quite useful while exploring.

Pre-Mechanical mages don't exactly have the dps and armor to go full on spell-casting. I tried that coming in and couldn't get past 50-60% of the destroyer's health.

Switching to Daedalus + support spells like Nimbus allowed me to beat all three in a single night in a row.

But some people prefer the challenge I guess.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

kvx687 posted:

Speaking of Plantera, will it enrage if I lure it into a nearby granite section? It would be a pretty good premade arena, but I don't know if it still counts as part of the jungle. There is jungle on both sides if that matters, it isn't right at the edge or anything.

Also, holy poo poo eclipses do not gently caress around. I killed all three mechanical bosses without breaking a sweat, but the sheer numbers and the ridiculous aggression from the Mothrons hosed me up. And the only thing I got out of it was a crappy Neptune's Shell.

Magnet Sphere from the dungeon will stunlock Mothrons into the ground for like 75% of the time.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

watho posted:

It's not that I want base defense systems, it's that I want to have auto-turrets shooting rockets at any unfortunate creature that wanders near my houses.
This.
And I was expecting Expert mode to have mobs that would attack your fortifications or at least an event that would do so.

That way there would have been an entire minigame involving the defense of your NPC town: giving mechanical purpose to terrain destruction/building and trap design.

It's a design waste too, because goblin army and pirate invasion would have been perfect variations of home defense.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

They had that sort of when clowns used to be able to demolish your base with explosions and it was decidedly not fun.

A trigger-able one might be fine, but gently caress the old clown mechanic. Anytime one appeared on screen I had to bee-line to it before it started raining destruction on my home.

It would need a balance pass of course. They could have easily done things like a pirate mob that deploys a cannon which glows for a few seconds before firing an explosive that would damage the walls.

I could see how it would be unfun if the flying pirate ship just rained death upon a fort, but a happy medium could actually provide a challenge without exercising frustration from a bomb happy mob.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Awful Sandwich posted:

Once I figured out how to kill one of the mechanical bosses, the rest of them, Plantera and the Golem were relatively easy to bulldoze over. Now I'm kitted out with a full set of beetle armor and an Eye of Cthulhu yoyo. What next? I did some dungeoneering, and got murdered savagely by the cultist waiting outside. What ranged weapon should I be working towards? I already have a Megashark.

Yeah, it depends on what you want. If you can beat the cultist, then you can get all the end-game craftable weapons easily from the lunar pillars. Look at getting the Crimson Biome key to unlock a set of Vampire Knives (Melee Throwable + Healing) and then craft a Celestial Stone and a Moon Shell. From then on you can grind the lunar event to get end-game weapons.

If not, you should look into getting gear for grinding the Martian event. Magnet Sphere, Rainbow Gun and Summonables etc are good for grinding out the UFO-mount which makes all boss fights easier.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Awful Sandwich posted:

Thanks, guys! I've taken out 3 pillars. I'm going to slow down for a bit and grind up for the vampire knives. Progress in this game really comes in bursts.

Just one heads up, vampire knives have little use against the moon-lord because he has an anti-heal up for 50% of the time in phase one and 95% of the time in phase two.

They are however, useful everywhere else.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'd still prefer something a bit more permanent. Block outlines and an auto-rebuild tool would be nice, but I wanted a challenge that actually threatens my housing like the Corruption does. An actual fight to keep NPCs in your world instead of hiding behind a wooden door from 90% of the mobs in-game currently.

That's not to say it can't be "Extra-Hardcore" mode or something so people can keep their art houses.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Overlord K posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any basic advice for tackling him on expert? Tried him with two friends for the first time a while ago and we melted pretty fast. I was in full defense tanky mode and tried to survive by abusing regen stuff but it did me little. I was thinking of trying to go summon build this time since my Stardust Dragon staff came out of the box as Mythical. Both my friends use guns for the record.

Does anyone know if the damage-delay timer affects other players? I know Stardust Dragon can prevent your own attacks from landing on a mob or boss, but I don't know if your pets will affect other players.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Fireflys spawn like crazy if you have a bug net. As soon as you start doing fishing quests and turning it in each day, you'll get the three ball baits non-stop.

By the time I got the last item (Sextant) I had over 95 Master Baits. Good news is it took me less than 50 fishing quests to get the pda.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mailer posted:

Left is valid, right is not valid.

:psyduck:

Perhaps there's a single missing wall panel?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It works on medium maps, it just takes 4-5 seconds before you hear it impact the earth again. So just run one direction will firing upwards, you'll hear a thud eventually and that means an island is probably 4-5 seconds run behind you.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If you want to stop something from infecting your house then make an island around it with at least a 4-5X block of space between the island and the nearest infected land.

Or plant sunflowers around your base to prevent the house from reaching the minimum-corruption level.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Solumin posted:

I feel your pain.

At least you know how to sequence break though! Get a lot of rope and find the floating islands early, or hit the desert ASAP and hope you get a sandstorm in a jar... that sort of thing.

I think the worst part is the compulsion to want to grind out the cellphone again. I can't come back because then I'll suicide from fishing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

You're expected to seek out the strongest poo poo you can get your dick beaters on instead of just winging it with any old junk.

Sooo narrowing your fun options for the sake of having to grind out longer battles?

One of the greatest pitfalls a developer will make is thinking "more hp = more challenging game." This only works if your entire game is based around ammo rationing like Resident Evil or something.

A game like Terraria or even The Division, it just makes for a shittier experience as you sit there whacking away at a generic mob for 20 seconds.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only thing I wish was persistent is the GPS. I spent 15 hours legitimately crafting that thing only to leave it on an old hard-drive. Now my only option is to edit it in like a dirty pleb.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Once you figure out how to do Martian events with a rooftop, you'll unlock the spaceship and it'll trivialize everything but the last boss.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The Crimson Rod and Nimbus rod are great mid-tier weapons for farming events and some bosses. Make some tall walls with a roof and throw the clouds outside the walls, enemies will stop on the walls and be withered away by the constant stream of deadly rain.

I farmed for pirate maps and the pirate event by just spamming clouds and minions while afking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Angler Quests and Fishing really is the worst, grindy part of the game. It takes 10+ hours of straight fishing and luck to get everything for the Cellphone.
It's hosed up considering they could have made the fishing quests linear.

There is a way to exploit it if you only feel like partially cheating: quest fish can be stored in your piggy-bank or chests, though they take up a slot each. It's bypassing the mechanic that only allows you to have only one unique fish at a time provided you store the fish before attempting to capture another one.