Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
so are you supposed to do expert with a new character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does anyone here have a rented server? i was looking at gameservers but im not really familiar with any given service

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mediumcore is cool, though the inventory management minigame in a dangerous jungle is not as fun

The White Dragon posted:

Drop-on-death still sucks because the game isn't able to remember your loadout. Oops, I absentmindedly pressed my hotbar for Dirt but it had a Dynamite in it! Then there are dynamite traps, and lava or lava slimes for your "my items are now permanently destroyed" needs.

i think in 1.1? they made almost every item blue and not destroyed by lava. i guess if you die in lava you lose ores and poo poo, that kind of sucks

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 17, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

does a higher fishing power return better crates? seems like i basically only get wood ones

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Skaw posted:

Fishing power just reduces the chance of catching junk AFAIK. Higher fishing power means you can beat the penalties of smaller water bodies. Crates are a flat 10% of your catches(increases by potions) and the types of crates are divided from that 10% with wood being the most common and gold being the rarest. Biome crates are the second rarest.

it also increases your odds of getting equipment according to the wiki so i thought it might work on crates too

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Excelzior posted:

what? are you using the bad wiki because it does no such thing

e: if you mean usable item fishes (like the reaver shark) then I guess it does, indirectly

i'm using the official wiki and it says stuff like this for every item: "The Reaver Shark can be obtained via Fishing in the Ocean. Chance to catch it is 1:100 with 50% Fishing power and 1:50 with 100% Fishing Power."

pretty direct, i think

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

50% power (which is why the good rod is exactly 50%) or 300 tiles makes junk chance 0%

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Seditiar posted:

You can fish up balloons on sky islands afaik.

E: Yup.

you cant fish up sandstorms though

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

so i have a map with multiple crimson biomes, but under my pyramid is a small little bubble of corrupt grass. no corrupt dirt, stone or blocks... just grass. A: am i still going to get crimson on hardmode and B: can i use this to somehow make a cool combined crimson/corruption biome or something? is this little bubble going to infect after hardmode if i leave it alone?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

has anyone had trouble with blood moons occurring? we've had maybe 80 days on this world with none yet

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Dareon posted:

It's probably just random luck. I started a new world strictly to break orbs and get meteorite ore for making blocks, got a blood moon first night and a goblin invasion the next morning. No merchant, no chests to store things in, I just had a field around my initial spawn covered in shackles, lenses, and spiked balls.

idk after this much time its like a 0.004% chance

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is the staff of regrowth just "harvest plants without looking when they bloom"? in some places the wiki talks about getting seeds even if the plant isnt blooming which would be nice in the "World Of No Blood Moons"

oh nevermind, figured it out. i guess i gotta plant on crimson rock :(

is there a safe way to make a little crimson section in my base without causing the world to end?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 20, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

^^^ Just use a crimson planter. Also you still need to actually click on the plants to harvest them with staff of regrowth, and it'll only harvest plants that are blooming(will give seeds).

no, apparently if you harvest stuff on its native soil it gives seeds all the time. i guess i probably can't actually plant on crimtane blocks though

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

^^^ Eye of Cthulhu drops seeds too.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've collected tons of deathweed while going through crimson but never gotten any seeds.

sorry, +"with the staff of regrowth"

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

what fencing is that guy in front of on the right hand side there? i want a bongo playing target dummy

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

if my only snow biome is crimson as well, can i still get an ice golem to spawn there?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

My jungle is getting wrecked by the crimson. Don't really care since its huge but it definitely doesn't feel like the jungle is fighting back at all. Though honestly I don't get why they didn't just make hallow/corrupt/crimson variants of the jungle so this wouldn't even be an issue.

my jungle has completely eaten my corruption

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

so... minishark -> clockwork assault rifle -> megashark -> ???

tactical shotgun? shot bow?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it just means you have a chance at a long trek your first few times to the jungle/corruption/ocean/whatever. if you're OK with that, its fine. the trip is basically instant after minecarts anyways

edit: as a ranged character, i'm having trouble giving up my frost armor for something else. i have a set of legendary fetid bakhnahk and i like to swap into those and i lose like 400 DPS going from say, frost armor to melee-chlorophyte. shroomite is probably a net loss too if I don't abuse the stealth damage bonus. is frost armor late-game acceptable until starburst or whatever?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 27, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hes probably trying to do what i did which is skip the annoying part of the game by getting spelunker potions first

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

so whats the trick to events like halloween and frost moon other than "cheese it with vamp knives and spectre armor"

is it even feasible to do with plantera gear and an arena that lets you move around?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wait, you dont take fall damage when you BOUNCE? why didnt i think of that

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is it too big

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

if i had a wishlist for terraria, it would be to guarantee some biomes in creation (and allow for bigger world sizes/most fun stuff like cloud biomes), allow for both types of metal and maybe evil terrain to appear during hardmode, and for stuff dropped on the ground to not disappear for a very long time, or at least stuff dropped upon death to never ever disappear

if we're being really crazy it would be cool if you could do something like reset the dungeon so if you have a server with a bunch of friends, the slow dumbass can go through it without it having being hacked apart and looted. as it is, the largest world you can make is really only suitably interesting for maybe 2-3 people before it becomes difficult to explore without too much overlapping

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah i dont necessarily want more dirt as much as i want more things for people to find so it doesnt feel like one person and a few hours made the world empty of the fun things

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Terraria's mapgen is trouble because a big map doesn't feel more meaningfully large and the surface biomes aren't a lot bigger individually, there's just more of them. Everything's poorly spaced.
I'd love an infinite sized world in Terraria 2, though. As long as there's decent fast travel options.

i hope they just rip of minecraft hell 1:100 travel ratios and use that for a bunch of neat biomes

or at least i hope they entertain that and if they come up with better, great

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i always found it easier to just dig a tunnel straight down and platform back up w/r/t finding ores than running along the surface and jumping in caves

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its a shame that they added all the biome crates but still no tree or pyramid crates, so the loot from those is still just 'one every five worlds' or whatever

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Can Pyramid loot be found in underground desert chests?

no, its unique to pyramids

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it feels like its less than 20% now. get a sonar potion going

i also noticed an enormous difference with higher fishing power, way more than i used to, in terms of quality of crates

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

pylons also work no matter what after you have them and two npcs, and their happiness is irrelevant. right now my forest biome has like 15 npcs, ocean and jungle each have 2, and all three pylons are fine

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

not sure, i havent made an underground pylon yet

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hmmm the game decided to delete all the maps for all of my characters. weird

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i caught like two bugs and then just selectively fished up 6 crates and got two hooks in that. obviously lucky but i think you have a good chance in 10 or so crates to get the lavaproof hook and then you can fish up like 50!

fishing in lava is nice because there are no common fish catches, so you only catch something every 10-20 seconds rather than every second. ultimately you probably want everything that you hook once you get the lavaproof one

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its 200 units for honey but it might be like lava where there are no common/low tier catches so you only get a bite if its a rare

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I spent like an hour today trying to get a radar and chisel out of the oasis and got neither. This was with luck boosting effects, master bait, a golden rod, and all the fishing potions :regd09:

are you uh, using a sonar potion appropriately

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

question: did the water physics update break all the duplication means? do I need to find an actual lake to hook up to my artificial snow sky lake?

nope

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it was posted up the page but this

Maguoob posted:

All you need is one bucket, water duplication is pretty easy. Make a U shaped platform out of 5 blocks and hammer down one of the side blocks so that it is half size. When you place water above the half block it will flow to the side into the U shape and down the other side (what you want to fill up). You can instantly pick up the water after placing it down and just repeat until the desired amount of water has been produced. You can also use hammered half blocks in the path of where the water flows to have it duplicate on the way down as well.

This also works for honey and lava, but it slower; especially for honey, because you need to wait for it to flow a little before picking back up.

you can also just make a L shape of three blocks and rapidly click the bucket in the L

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why you'd make restrictions about not farming purely cosmetic building materials but are fine with looting the actual game balance affecting items you don't normally get in one world.

I'm always farming sand because I need more glass and outside of the surface of the desert and ocean its actually pretty rare. Its like the one block I go to other worlds for because I don't wanna gently caress up the surface of my biomes a ton.

Frankly I think one lame thing about Terraria is how you can miss out on the purely cosmetic block crafting stations in your world. I had to go to like 5 different ones just to get a living loom.

they did a really good thing by making crates for all biomes both hard mode and normal, and then they didnt add like, desert pyramid loot and living tree loot and a couple odds and ends. just put all of it in there goddamnit its like five items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

three npcs stops enemy generation so you can put them anywhere except corruption and crimson, because they will move out. i would think sky towns are totally fine and with the implementation of pylons you no longer are incentivized to have your town directly on top of your hellevator

i guess that said, when a wyvern DOES spawn, maybe on the edge or during a blood moon or something, they will completely gently caress up all of your npcs because they will mulch them through the walls