Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The best thing about the slime mount is that bouncing off enemies does damage (and usually stops you from taking contact damage). This can (with some risk) absolutely trivialize certain fights if you get between the boss and a ceiling.

Doesn't work on Skeletron though, he is an absolute motherfucker on expert mode. You can bounce on him and ride him up into the sky but he just instakills you and despawns after a certain distance. I feel like he should either have less health or damage, his second stage is an absolute grind even with the best gear available at that stage of the game. Also having him disable life regen, which is specifically the set bonus from crimtane, is a real dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Haven't messed around with building too much 1.3 stuff yet, but here's my base from my 1.2 world:

Not as nice as some of the stuff I see posted here, I tend to just kind of fill in space. You can also see my incomplete collection of weapons/armor.

Alhough I may have peaked back in 1.1 with this old favourite

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I know if there's one thing this thread isn't tired of it's "why isn't this housing valid" screenshots, so:

It's the ice house/igloo thing here. This one is particularly puzzling because it was valid housing previously, and nothing has changed as far as I can tell. You can see the stylist is still in there, even. Only thing I can think of is that it became corrupted, but it doesn't give that message when I check it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Now it's saying the housing is corrupted, so I guess it was that all along? Weird that it didn't say straight away.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I hate the Plantera spawn mechanic but only because finding bulbs is a pain in the rear end.

I made an arena to fight it in, died, and then tunnelled down and found another bulb. I smashed it and fled up to my arena, only to have plantera just give up and vanish halfway. I didn't leave the biome or anything, maybe I just got too far from it? Now I can't find any bulbs near my arena. gently caress bulbs.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to find one right now so I can make a dungeon go hardmode. And holy poo poo I've pretty much covered every inch of this jungle and haven't found one. There's probably like one tiny patch of jungle in the middle of god knows where it spawned. I really wish they lit up on the map or something.

I saw a video on reddit about how to find the bulbs pretty easily with camera mode, which helped a bit.

Basically, press F1 to go into camera mode and then put the snapshot box around your jungle on the map. Then take a snapshot and view it from your documents folder. The bulbs show up pretty easily due to the glow. You do need to have explored the jungle a bit for this to work.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Because the bee can't goomba stomp a boss to death in seconds if you get between the boss and a ceiling, probably.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I was trying to mainly stick to summoner gear this time round, but I have to say it really doesn't seem worth it so far. My main issue is that the minions seem to get stuck on poo poo constantly, and don't catch up to you until you're more than a screen away. This causes me much grief on invasions, where my usual strategy is to hide inside a wooden box while my army of death spheres handle things. But half of them seem to get stuck inside with me at any given time.

It might get better once you get to post-golem stuff, but right now tiki armor + spheres just doesn't seem worth the tradeoff. You have lower armor, it eats up more accessory slots, and you miss out on full DPS because of lovely minion pathing. Eventually I just said gently caress it and switched to beetle armor and melee, it's measurably better.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Making a dirt skybridge is definitely the way to go for strange plants now. I got 5 or 6 in a few minutes just by going back and forth over mine. Now my character looks like a goddamn mess.

Sublime

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Sjonnar posted:

How far up is your skybridge? It used to be that the fuckers wouldn't spawn within 350 blocks from another dye plant, which necessitated building high in space. (though that may have changed with the new patch) But i never got any spawns there either, so now i'm wondering if they won't grow on the space layer.

620' according to the GPS. I should mention I never saw any before the patch.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

It's pretty good for sitting inside a house on a blood moon with a stormbow and just holding down the button.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

RatHat posted:

Is there anything that you can pass through but can also hang lanterns and banners from? I want to hang banners in my arena for the buffs but the blocks they're hanging from are gonna block and kill me someday.

You can actually hang banners from platforms, but you have to hammer them 3 times each. Basically you want it so the platform occupies the lower half of a tile rather than the upper half. This lets you hang stuff from below, but prevents you from putting anything on top of them.

Here's an image showing what I mean:

You can hang stuff from the lower level of platforms, but not from the top one. Conversely, you can put something on top of the upper layer, but not on the lower.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 13, 2015

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

According to the wiki:

quote:

Drills may mine slightly slower than pickaxes because they are not affected by melee-speed modifiers. Players who want to maximize mining speed should avoid using drills, because the benefits provided by melee speed enhancements apply only to pickaxes.

Dunno if it's even a noticeable difference, but I've been sticking to picks for this reason.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

Oh, good. I just beat Golem, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to fight the martians.

EDIT - "Fixed Seedler projectiles not counting as melee / not getting flask effects." Seedler even more powerful now! What's a good flask to make a bunch of for bosses or events?

Damage wise, it seems like there's no reason to use anything but the venom or ichor flasks. Venom does 6 damage a second, which is more than poison/fire/cursed fire. Ichor reduces defense by 20, which might just be way more damage overall than the venom? I'm not sure how defense works for enemies. You could always use venom and occasionally spray enemies with the golden shower spell I guess.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

It's weird that they added fishing biome crates as a way to get items that are otherwise limited, but they didn't add any for pyramid loot. I want my bundle of balloons god drat it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Well it's not like they can have a desert fishing spot...

Quicksand :colbert:.

Alternatively, oasis mini biome.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Akett posted:

Goddamnit, why can't the cross necklace be folded into the ankh shield, or the frog legs folded into the frostspark boots? Or have the loving sixth accessory slot function on non expert worlds? There are so many useful accessories that would make my life easier if only half my slots weren't occluded by bullshit.

I really wish the sixth slot would work on normal, even if it was only after you defeated Plantera or something. I just hate swapping things in and out constantly. The fishing accessories are a big offender here, they absolutely should combine into one item. It's also annoying that most classes can combine a destroyer emblem with something specific to their class, like the titan glove, but summoners are stuck wearing several items which are just "+1 minion" with no other effects.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Judgement posted:

Now I'm slamming my head against golem over and over again, this guy might be the one that finally makes me give up on expert mode. Can't make my own arena, and I just don't have the room to dodge his wall piercing lasers inside his little room or burn him down fast enough to outpace the loads of damage I take as a result.

Apparently you can pick up the altar without a picksaw if you use actuators on the bricks under it. Summoning him on the surface makes him way easier, you can just outpace him with wings.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The metal progression for picks goes: copper/tin >> iron/lead >> silver/tungsten >> gold/platinum, with each tier being better than the last. Gold or plat can dig up crimson/ebonstone blocks, which I believe the others cant. There's tiers beyond that of course, but you have to beat a boss or two before you can access them.

Alternatively, if you don't mind fishing, you can make some nightcrawlers and try and fish up a reaver shark from the ocean, which mines pretty much everything for the first half of the game. But it's by no means necessary.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

The OP is fairly cluttered, but it sounds like there's some desire for a "New to the game? Here's some quick hints!" section. So that's what I'm going to add in next, probably near the very top.

So I'm looking for more poo poo to add to that section, to help new players.

"The sword you start with is garbage, replace it quickly"
"Ask the guide about crafting, give him an item, and he'll show you what you can make with that item."
"Houses should be at least 6 blocks high and a decent length"
"Only walls you put up yourself count for housing"
"Rope is amazing, always carry some in the early game"

and so on.

You can make wooden armor. Not much defense, but better than nothing when you're just starting out. Cactus is better if you can find some.

If you can't find a hook to make a grappling hook, you can make one out of gems. Gems can also be made into early magic gear.

Fishing is a grind, but you can get cool stuff from it. Buy a net from the merchant and break open random debris you see on the ground, you can get worms and other bait this way.

If an item you find has "Material" in the description, you should show it to the guide to see what you can craft with it.

Buy a piggy bank from the merchant and keep your money in it. You can still use it to buy things when it's in the bank, and you won't drop it when you die.

If a boss fight seems too hard, make sure to craft and use buff potions. You can also make an arena and put in campfires, heart lanterns and pools of honey to improve your hp regen.

It might also be handy to have a section for "What should I be doing next?" for the suggested order of bosses etc.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Tanith posted:

So which slot(s) control the paintjob on the stardust guardian?

Just the pet slot, I think. Phase dye looks pretty cool.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I always told myself that when the next big update came I'd make a proper giant skybase, so now I'm making a start with an obligatory Way Too Big Tree

Still need to round out my critter and painting collection, but I'm mostly happy with it. I particularly like how the painter's little art project turned out.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Sjonnar posted:

What is that glowy soil around the tree's roots? Is that mushroom grass, and if so, did you have to place it by hand as you added each layer of mud?

Yes, and it is an enormous pain in the rear end to gather and also to paint. I wish painting it made the light green too.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I know I stole the "beehive on tree" idea from somewhere, possibly the showcase of stuff from the 1.2 beta server. Same with that spiral staircase design.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I did exactly that with the painter to get all his biome specific paintings.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

With the exception of the vampire knives, the biome weapons aren't really worth farming for when you can just fight the pillars for better gear. The only biome key ranged weapon is pretty crap iirc.

It might be worth farming up a scope so you can combine it with the destroyer (or avenger, I forget) emblem. If the cultist is too hard with just the stynger, you can try the pumpkin moon invasion, or fishron.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The orichalcum set bonus is really cool and I wish I could move it onto a better set.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Obviously the best combo is fire glove + ice armor + cursed vial so your melee attacks are as colourful as possible

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

"find an incredibly rare weapon that doesn't even spawn on most worlds" is not really a viable strategy in most cases

I beat it with a slimy saddle. Trap yourself between the brain and the ceiling of the cave until it explodes.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Someone suggested you should be able to make an infinite dirt block the same way you can make an infinite quiver/ musket pouch currently. I really wish they would implement that, along with infinite stone, mud, ebonstone etc. Then include a pickup filter so you could tell it to ignore or auto-trash dirt.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The ice from the rod only lasts 15 seconds though. If it was permanent and there was a similar rod for all of the common materials it would be kind of cool, but having to place and then mine the blocks to use for crafting would be tedious.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

You'll wanna fight Skeletron eventually, but there's some easier bosses between the Eye and him. Try exploring the Corruption/Crimson and breaking some ominous looking poo poo. You can also try exploring the jungle if you've found it, though that's a little tougher.

Also I swore to myself I would build an elaborate skybase once the last big update was released, and I have been doing so very slowly over the past year or so. Here's one thing i just finished

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The cosmetic stuff in this game is amazing and puts a lot of other big budget games to shame. So many different armors, and you can dye each piece on top of that. And some of the rare dyes are amazingly gaudy.

Imagine everything in that image glowing, sparkling, and rapidly changing color.

Also my skybase is finally coming along, maybe I will finish it sometime this year.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

It's not like it's hard to build lots of NPC houses. Walls, roof, table and chair, then use smart cursor to fill in the back wall in seconds. Add a torch and you're done. Personally I really like having excuses to build different structures though, it's always something that felt missing from Minecraft.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

It's slightly less like Nethack now that you can't get petrified while falling down some stairs a vertical shaft dug through marble

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

If you're making a world purely for summoning bosses and raiding for ore then you don't technically need NPCs, but you'll probably want the nurse at the very least, and you'll want the guide and clothier for boss farming, and maybe the gunsmith for ammo...so you'll probably end up building housing anyway.

I've never bothered with extra worlds except for plundering loot I can't get in my main one. There's no real downside to doing everything on one world, at the very worst your base gets corrupted for a while until you can remove it with the Clentaminator.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

That's why I say "at the very worst". There are plenty of ways to head off the corruption/hallowing early, I'm just saying that if it's too late or you're too lazy, there's not much that can be done to a world that can't be reversed.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Looks like it was mainly performance issues with blizzards and sandstorms

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/pc-1-3-3-changelog.48916/page-24#post-1107712

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Does anyone have any tips for finding the tavernkeep? I've been trying to find him for a few hours on my medium world and I haven't seen him once.

Does he not spawn in hallow/corruption caverns or something? most of my map is converted by now since I've spent so much time in it.

edit: found him near some lava like 2 minutes after i posted this. There's probably some sort of Murphy's Law style internet principle in effect here

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I started playing with a group of friends recently and someone suggested mods. Last time I attempted mods was when Story of Red Cloud came out and I gave up trying to install it. Now modloader makes everything easy and we're up to Lunatic Cultist on an expert Thorium playthrough. We also have Magic Storage because holy poo poo it's a huge QoL upgrade.

I'm also playing a single player game with a large number of mods thrown together, but I think the game honestly suffers a bit when you have too much content competing for space during the same phases of the game. Your inventory starts to fill up FAST.

Speaking of Thorium, is it a good idea to keep the Worm Scarf equipped basically forever? I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to the Mantle of the Survivor, and as a summoner my accessory slots are at a premium.