Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Miltank posted:

You mean they both notice the same flaws in liberalism?

I noticed this too. Especially the "But liberalism is an ideology too!" stuff.

DE people tend to miss the similarities because they tend to assume that the difference between mainstream US liberals and, say, Stalinists is more quantitative than qualitative.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Series DD Funding posted:

The point is DE is, in fact, original thinking, or rather as close as you can get. It's applying and changing old ideas from different sources to new issues and situations.

To some extent this is a bit of a pose, I think. For all Moldbug's talk about reviving extinct philosophical currents, a lot of DE thought is really derived from more recent writers, like Hans Herman Hoppe.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

Comte is too high shelf and obscure for these mouth breathers, whose idea of discourse is jerking over stormfront racial "facts" copypasta

Eh, they're fans of Carlyle, who is somewhat obscure and has an obnoxiously difficult prose style. DE people overrate semi-obscure old books in general.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 1, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rudatron posted:

Also Nietzsche, who somehow keeps getting defended as 'misunderstood' in spite of being most famous for creating an entire library to rationalize 'gently caress you got mine'.

Nietzsche is misunderstood in the sense that he wasn't really a proto-Nazi (his sister and her husband were, but he strongly disagreed with them). I agree that his view of morality was still really bad, though, and a lot of his fans (both inside and outside of academia) seem to willfully ignore the obvious meaning of what he wrote.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

It is a mistake tie fascism to Mussolini, just as it is a mistake to tie collectivism to Stalin.

Fascism and collectivism and liberalism behave like the archaic humoral system of medicine- elements are present in every polity, and disease results from an excess or deficit of any one of them. In the West, we currently suffer from an excess of liberalism.

Much like the balance of the humors, the balance between fascism, collectivism, and liberalism doesn't really exist. A Good Post.

OK, that was shitposty of me. More seriously, while you can argue that today's society is overly focused on individual rights at the expense of other goals (though even that is seriously debatable; the unfortunate erosion of individual rights since 9/11 still hasn't been fully reversed, for example), your use of fascism is not how I've seen anyone else use the word (which is impressive given how loosely the word is often used).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BaurusJA posted:

Also, after looking up some DE stuff doesn't it seem like most of these people just took a Marxist account of history ran it backwards and said KINGSHIP IS BEST SHIP!?

More Whig than Marxist, but basically yes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Depends on whom specifically you're trying to understand right now. For example, I think somebody like Moldbug is motivated by much different things than somebody like Aurini, not to speak of Scott Alexander.

Some of which I'd have to confess I have absolutely no idea about. Big riddles.

Moldbug is partly sheer contrarianism, but to look at it charitably, some of the reverse-Whiggism could originate from anxiety about being judged by one's descendants.

I don't know a ton about Aurini, but I get the impression he's almost the opposite of Moldbug in this regard; he wants to fit in with what he considers the cool kids.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Yet he fails so badly in his attempt to embody toxic masculinity that you'd be solving a completely different problem altogether. Toxic masculinity is light-years ahead of whatever this turd is. I bet he squeals whenever anyone tries to hit him.

Nice avatar/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Yet he fails so badly in his attempt to embody toxic masculinity that you'd be solving a completely different problem altogether. Toxic masculinity is light-years ahead of whatever this turd is. I bet he squeals whenever anyone tries to hit him.

Nice avatar/post combo.

• Locked thread