Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dienes posted:

Did your class need to read it out loud, in class, in its entirety? Nothing fosters a love of literature like the stumbling, monotone, bored recitations of teenagers.

I had an English teacher who wouldn't correct anyone's pronunciation or explain when people obviously didn't understand something unless they specifically asked, so almost the entire class read "thou" as "though" and clearly had no idea what the words they were saying meant. That on top of the stumbling monotone of the semi-literate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

when he was 'spontaneous' he just didn't plan things through ahead of time

Isn't that basically the definition of spontaneous?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you say you don't like the last few Discworld books apparently that makes you an arsehole or something. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Suleman posted:

I guess creepy sex fantasies were just considered a normal part of sci-fi at the time.

"At the time". :roflolmao:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I was surprised just now to see it rated 3.7 on Goodreads, but it turned out that there's a lot of people who fit those two types.
I don't think I've seen anything on Goodreads rated less than about 3.5. I don't know if it's their rating system or the people who use it, but it seems to result in a score range of about 3.5 to 4.5 for everything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mania posted:

It's the rating system, it's weighed towards 3-5 stars.

1 star - Didn't like the book
2 stars - It was okay.
3 stars - Liked it
4 stars - Really liked it.
5 stars - It was amazing.

I guess I'm weird then, because I give most things 1-3 stars under that system. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

CSI co-creator Anthony Zuiker's Level 26: Dark Origins is amazingly awful, but don't take my word for it, watch the trailer to see for yourself! And that's not the only video, cause this is a diginovel.

I Don't Even Own a Television did an episode on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I could, if you think it would be interesting, but I'd be very cagey about details because there were only, like, fifty people in our entire high school and I would be easy to identify. Do you have to pay for an account?

It's just the Facebook group.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, it must be. I haven't listened yet. Yikes! Well, we had a weekly public access show about issues affecting teens and we did plays about domestic violence and stuff. It was pretty cool.

I just want to know if it was your real name they censored or if they censored it because they thought "Fleta" was such a unique name that it would instantly identify you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I write a lot of reviews on Goodreads and because of that (I assume) I occasionally get terrible authors sending me their books to review. The latest was A Minger's Tale: Beginnings, and it's especially bad. Supposedly a memoir, but full of obvious lies, and at least one section blatantly plagiarised from Wikipedia. You know that guy who thinks he's raconteur, but his stories go nowhere, aren't funny, and have no connection to anything? The author is that guy. Here are some typical excerpts:

RBN Bookmark posted:

To make things even worse, we had some problems with youth on the estate, and one in particular—I’ll call him Shirley for reasons that will become apparent as I explain. Shirley’s brother was quite a good footballer, and we often played in matches together against other youths from various parts of the estate.

While he and I were best mates, his gender-bending younger brother was a pain in the nether regions and took particular delight in singling out my family to vent his wrath on. He never singled me out and never did he do the dirty work himself—he was an agent provocateur in drag! I think I gave him a bitch slap once, and it didn’t help matters. He got even more out of control, and soon he and his tranny army of followers were making life pretty unbearable for us.

In case you're wondering, no, there's no additional context. That's the first and last we hear of Shirley and their brother, and it's never explained what sort of trouble Shirley was supposedly causing for the author and his family. And the same applies to every story in the book. They go nowhere, don't include enough information, and just stop suddenly so he can talk about something completely unrelated.

Here's another:

RBN Bookmark posted:

Gordon was a big chap, bigger than John even. He was white, in his early thirties, lanky but as strong as an ox—nobody could throw the sort of weights he could. He was a foreman, as was John, but Gordon carried more clout. His reputation as a hard man preceded him.

At one time an intruder broke into the cellar to steal rolls of cloth. These rolls were back-breaking in size and weight—the burglar was obviously unaware of this. The chap was discovered by Gordon, huffing and puffing. His feeble attempts, one after another, to carry the roll on his shoulder ended in failure. Gordon made a beeline for him, wrestling him to the ground in a headlock until the police arrived.

It's also full of weird malapropisms and incredibly poorly constructed sentences like "Roy was in his midthirties, with dark slicked-back hair, and a devout Elvis fan." or "Then he smiled, shaking his head, not quite knowing whether to make neither head nor tail of what I’d just said." That might sound funny, and it kind of is, but it's not nearly enough to make up for everything else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Here minger is slang for an incredibly ugly person

That is the intended meaning in the book and the foreword gives the definition (quoted without attribution from Urban Dictionary). The author seems to really love the word and refers to himself as such almost constantly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My sister picked up Laurell K Hamilton's Kiss the Dead from an op shop recently (since she likes supernatural romance stuff) but even by the standards of that genre it turned out to be especially bad. So after she finished it she gave it to me to read, and she wasn't kidding. Here's the blurb:

quote:

When a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it’s up to U.S. Marshal Anita Blake to find her. And when she does, she’s faced with something she’s never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people—kids, grandparents, soccer moms—all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving a master. And where there’s one martyr, there will be more…

That all happens right at the start and then the majority of the book focuses on Anita personal life. She says at one point that she has seven boyfriends, but I'm pretty sure there were more than that. Plus one girlfriend. And all of them are either vampires or lycanthropes, many of them magically enslaved by her. But that's OK because "preternaturals" can't be allowed to be free, and actually they prefer it that way.

Which brings me back to the blurb and how these vampires are willing to die rather than serve a maaster. It sounds like it's going to be an analogy for real-world issues of slavery and civil rights, and it kind of is, except that the protagonist is firmly on the pro-slavery side. As well as being a US Marshal she's also a government-sanctioned vampire hunter, which gives her the freedom to just kill vampires and lycanthropes if she suspects that they've killed someone, are going to kill someone, might be thinking about killing someone or even saw another vampire/lycanthrope kill someone. Yes, as a vampire, witnessing a crime is also a crime, and the sentence is death.

And the book goes out of its way to tell you, over and over again, that if she invokes her right to kill vampires then she doesn't need any kind of evidence and there will be no investigation. Her word is good enough. She can also grant this same permission to cops she's with. And it also allows them to kill humans who are (or seem to be, or might have been) working with the vampires.

The whole message of the book is basically "some people aren't really people and it's OK to kill or enslave them, and in fact it's right to do so." Also there's a lot of really badly written, but very graphic sex, and endless references to the previous 20 (yes, 20) books in the series. Anyway, here are some quotes:

quote:

I knew without doubt that if any more of the vampires tried to attack us I’d kill them, too, regardless of apparent age, race, sex, or religious affiliations. I was an equal-opportunity executioner; I killed everybody.

quote:

Yeah, that's the group name for a bunch of vampires: a kiss of vampires. A gobble of ghouls, a shamble of zombies, and a kiss of vampires; most people don't know that, and the rest don't care.

quote:

Looking at the twenty or so frightened faces staring at me, I felt bad that they were afraid of me, but I knew that if they attacked us, I'd kill them. They should have been afraid—of me.

There's so much more, but it's hard to pick out the funny bits from the endless rambling and repetition. I wish I'd read an ebook version because then I could have copied them out as I went, but then I'd have had to actually pay money for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: They were usually under 200 pages though and I'm guessing this isn't?
360. It's not a particularly long book, but it seems longer because it's so repetitive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I've never read the book, but based purely on watching the (RiffTraxed) film version, I kind of feel like the passivity is a big part of the wish-fulfillment -- the concept that you don't have to try to be popular and loved, it just happens, even if you have no actual positive qualities.
That's really common to a lot of YA stories (and other genres). Something happens to the protagonist, putting them at the centre of the story and making them important, without them having to take any kind of initiative. You could be a hero (or go on an adventure or be adored or whatever) and you don't need to do a thing, it'll just happen!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I read it. It is disappointingly bland. Not even bad in an amusing way, just bad in a boring way. There's no humorous product placement or references to chicken, it's just a badly written romance novel where the love interest is named Harland Sanders (and I guess the way he's described is sort of like Col. Sanders). Also, the author's attempt to sound like a 19th century English person is utterly abysmal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

isn't this essentially the premise for 90% of stuff featuring fantasy races vs humans?
No? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Did you know that the guy who played Quark on Deep Space Nine wrote a book? Did you know it's terrible?

The Merchant Prince by Armin Shimerman and Michael Scott tells the story of Armin Shimerman John Dee, sexy super-genius who saves the world from Lex Luther and aliens. Well, not literally Lex Luther, just a bald trillionaire supervillain who's secretly being used by aliens who want to conquer the Earth.

The plot is really dumb, but it's fairly easy reading and would probably be entirely unremarkable if not for the fact that the protagonist is clearly supposed to be Shimerman - to the extent that the picture of Dee on the cover actually has Shimerman's face. I don't know if it's incredible narcissism or tragic insecurity, but there's got to be something really wrong with someone to write themself into a book like this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

A merchant saving the planet from aliens?
Strangely, the protagonist is neither a merchant nor a prince. He's a spy and diplomat.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

To be fair my understanding of book covers is authors usually don't get input on them. I wonder if Shimerman was a special case, or if the publisher asked the artist for it thinking it a fun tie-in?
Even without the cover, you can tell the it's supposed to be him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

"Protuberant, tight young breasts" is a memorably bad phrase. Is there something in the human brain that just loving short-circuits when trying to describe breasts without word salad?

I'm still trying to parse "Naked, except for the belt of white he wore around the expanse of skin normally covered by swim trunks". Is he wearing a miniskirt or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

God, it just keeps going. Every time you think "this must be the worst thing in this book" it finds some new way to be terrible. :stonk:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

there wolf posted:

I guess it's well he just needs to stop going back to if he doesn't have any more stories for it. I mean what else is there to write once you've defeated the literal world-destroying evil?

If you're a good writer, maybe something about what the heroes do and how the world treats them now that they're no longer needed? If you're a bad writer, another world-destroying evil.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I CARE DEEPLY ABOUT EVERYTHING AND I HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING SUCH A NICE DAY!

I'M ACTUALLY NOT FEELING GREAT TODAY BUT I JUST TOOK A SUDAFED SO HOPEFULLY I WILL BE FEELING BETTER LATER ON.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

SUDAFED IS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE AND I AM HAPPY T HEAR YOU HAVE MEDICATION! FEEL BETTER SOON AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!
THANKS! I AM FEELING BETTER NOW AND I HOPE YOU ARE ALSO HAVING A NICE DAY.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is anyone else really sick of 'seemingly standard fantasy setting is actually the FUTURE after nuclear war!' even though it isn't used that much?
Kind of the opposite, really. Like, it's the most interesting thing about the Shannara Chronicles (TV show anyway, I haven't read the books) and I wish they'd get into it more because it's just kind of there in the background. And there are so many generic fantasy settings that having something like that just makes it slightly less repetitive.

artsy fartsy posted:

But I also wanna say those books had a time-traveling wizard character who would occasionally drop George Lucas' name or something like that. At the time I loved it but I think it would just annoy me now.
IIRC that character is actually originally from their Dragonlance novels and turns out to be a god?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sandra Hill posted:

“As Hilda’s buttermilk bosoms squished up against his granite abs, Torolf almost had a dick aneurysm.”

“Torolf entered her like she was a lottery. His engorged pecker pushed inside her and she felt fulfilled with sexual fulfillment.”

“Her body was like a beautiful flower that was opening and somebody was pushing their dick inside it.”

She's written a ton of stuff and I'm tempted to see if it's all this funny, but the prices are just slightly above my limit for something I expect to be bad. Those quotes are brilliant though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

queserasera posted:

A public library should have it. My podunk one does--and in large print no less.

The local library here is basically worthless when it comes to fiction. They do have some, but it's a really small selection and I've never found anything I was actually looking for there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Djeser posted:

I still haven't found the steampunk anthology book in my things, but I did find this excerpt in my imgur account:

To be charitable to a book that doesn't deserve it, that story was the worst.
It doesn't even read like a coherent narrative. It seems like it's just like the author's ideas for the story, not the actual story.

TheKennedys posted:

I've got to second the "for once the TV show is actually way better" opinion re: The Magicians.
Season one is pretty bad though.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Books can't be pretentious, that's not a real criticism
What do you think "pretentious" means, and why can't it be applied to books?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

Sharknado and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter hosed everything up for all of us by popularising low effort monkey cheese Intentionally-"bad"-but-actually-just-bad entertainment, and now everyone wants to cash in.

Wasn't it Pride and Prejudice and Zombies that kicked that trend off?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Presented without context or comment:

$4000,000? Who writes numbers that way?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Here's a famously awful passage (that was new to me). It's a photograph of a page in a book, but linked for NSFW text, just in case. http://i.imgur.com/I4ZrJ91.jpg
:roflolmao:

Drunken Baker posted:

This is what delights and infuriates me about crap books/films/whatever. You get an idea like RPO and it is done so, so terribly. But it gives you a little spark of insight and inspiration because it COULD be the bedrock for some really fascinating fiction.
One reason to reduce the length of copyrights. Give 'em 5, maybe 10 years and then let other people have a go.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

His ship and robot action is vastly more interesting than his human stuff - the opening of Excession has a drone escaping from a hacked ship, bouncing of pressure waves, rerouting forcefields, jettisoning memory cores, all takes place over a matter of seconds. It's pretty great.
Excession is the best.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is "genre" just science-fiction and fantasy or is stuff like detective novels and thrillers "genre" as well?
"Genre fiction" is just a term that exists to smugly dismiss other people's taste as inferior.

there wolf posted:

Those "write about this specific topic" anthologies have been around for a while; I used to have one that was stories about Zombies against stories about Unicorns.
Zombies vs. Unicorns. I mostly liked the unicorn stories and didn't like many of the zombie stories.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

outlier posted:

Related anecdote: some years ago, I asked a knowledgeable bookseller friend to recommend me some modern crime genre novels, that were acclaimed but not the Big Name, mass-market stuff. Without exception, every book was cliche-ridden bollocks: angsty cops that never slept and lived off coffee and cigarettes (literally not figuratively), genius serial killers with absurdly ornate MOs (e.g. this one poses their victims in the style of Italian paintings of the 14th century), sudden romances with inexplicably beautiful expert lawyer / art professor / DJ who is drawn into the case and who will later get kidnapped by the serial killer.
Well, that just sounds like your friend has very specific taste in crime fiction and it's different to what you're looking for. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That woman looks fairly unconcerned about the situation. The man is freaking out, but she's just sort of calmly dealing with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All social conditions are economic conditions.

That's complete nonsense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What is the difference?
Social class is unrelated to money. A cashed up bogan is still a bogan and a bankrupt lord is still an aristocrat. It's not about how much money you have, it's about what you do with it. How you behave. How you speak. How you think. It's about the difference between old money and the nouveau riche. The difference between a millionaire tradesman and a millionaire doctor.

The problem is clear: you haven't ever read literary criticism, and are imagining attacks on the character and integrity of people living in trailer parks.
When you sneer at Twilight or The Da Vinci Code or "genre fiction" you are using literary criticism as a proxy for looking down on lower class people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PJOmega posted:

That can't be a real comic.

It is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

the entire setting is actually in the past and the Culture are actually not humans? Or something?
IIRC, The Culture isn't a species, it's made up of basically whoever wants to join, and none of them are humans. The setting is totally disconnected from Earth so questions like "how far in the future is this?" or "what modern-day society eventually evolved into The Culture?" don't arise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Never seen trolley problem pictures/parodies before? Hoo boy.

(the correct answer is always multi-track drifting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHI2QV_-mF0&t=80s

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Things learned from english class in school: loving nothing is good when you have everyone alternate reading it out loud. NOTHING.
My English teacher when we were reading Romeo and Juliet wouldn't correct anyone's pronunciation (or other mistakes). Like, at all. I'd understand not interrupting someone mid-sentence, but when most of the class is consistently saying "though" instead of "thou" and clearly not understanding what they're reading, what is even the point?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't really matter since rather little in Shakespeare was pronounced the way it's pronounced nowadays anyway. Half the rhymes don't work anymore.

It's not about the sound of it, it's about the fact that if you think "thou" means "though" then you obviously have no idea what the words you're saying mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

The reason Shakespeare is so god drat boring is that you've literally heard or seen the material (including jokes) in variations a million times in later works. He's not the only old artist with this problem of course but he's one of the most used.
Also, if you're reading them, that is not how you're supposed to enjoy a play. Like, you don't read screenplays as an alternative to watching movies because that would be dumb. But for some reason people expect plays to work as novels, and they don't.