Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Don Gato posted:

i just use my phone and hope no one ever asks me to hand write anything.
Same, but with English and I don't speak any other languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Safety Biscuits posted:

Are you sure Wuthering Heights is supernatural?
I just read it recently. There's nothing explicitly supernatural in the book. I guess there are some things that might possibly be supernatural, but it didn't even occur to me as I was reading it that might be the case. It's about as supernatural as real life ghosts, ie. you can convince yourself it's there if you want to, but there are far better explanations that don't involve anything supernatural.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

The other half is the reaction of people saying how it's such a powerful romance. No, none of that was romantic, stop it right this instant. It was abusive. STOP.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Level 26: Dark Origins is neither of those things.

I Don't Even Own a Television covered that one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brass Key posted:

Honestly that whole era of Harry Potter fandom produced some of the most entertaining/horrifying insane bullshit. Sure, there's still bizarre drama, but the like of Thanfiction has not come again.

The rest of it aside, Victoria Bitter is a fantastic alias.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is it the joke that that's almost the name of an Australian beer brand, I think?

It's exactly the name of an Australian beer brand (though it's usually referred to as "VB").

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I had a strange experience with the Vorkosigan books, in that I started with "Cordelia's honor" and assumed that the series would be about Cordelia, but then as soon as she's married she becomes a non-entity and the books are about her son instead.

Same, except that when I realised the rest of the series wasn't going to be about her I just didn't bother reading them. Like, the book was fine and I liked the character, but if it was just going to jump ahead to be about the adventures her son has then why would I bother?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

Back on track, how do people feel about the whole "Oh, it was all it dream!" twist used in the final moments of a story?
It's fine so long as the events of the story still mean something. Like, if the protagonist learned and grew through the experience.

It's terrible if it's just a way to say "I know this story made no sense, but I'm not going to explain any of it."

The question isn't "was it all a dream?" it's "is there any reason to care about what just happened?" If it was just some weird stuff the author came up with and threw together for no reason then, whether they say it was a dream or not, the answer is no.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anita Blake surely has some material for this thread, given the books apparently devolve into one woman's quest to gently caress all the vampires and werewolves.
That wouldn't even be the main reason for including that series in this thread. I've only read one of them (Kiss the Dead - book 21), but it was basically fascist propaganda. With sex scenes.

Oh, and also she's weirdly obsessive about people's heights. Every character's height is compared with the other characters around them. Like, even characters who barely say or do anything will have their height mentioned. That's obviously not the worst thing about the book, but it stands out because it's so odd and unnecessary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

The same kid went on to get suspended for three days for turning in an "Oregon Trail diary" English assignment about Hannibal Lecter, Jean-Luc Picard, and Samwise Gamgee as bandits fleeing eastern justice by posing as settlers on the trail, only for Sam and Picard to die of Oregon Trail diseases and Hannibal to snap and massacre the rest of the wagon train, who were all the characters from a dire Oregon Trail novel we'd had to read for class. Sean, wherever you are, you're still my hero.

I must be missing something here, because I can't understand why he would even get in trouble for that at all, much less be suspended for three days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

I don't think I ever wrote a story for school without a murder or other violent death in it

Yeah, it seems pretty weird to me that a child would get into any trouble at all for that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Is the author allergic to quotation marks?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I’m glad those children not only get to be King and Queen and jointly rule their country (I don’t think that’s how it works)

It's how it works in Narnia. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The animated adaptations of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music are both good - particularly the former.

SimonChris posted:

Also, the vividly coloured shirt he is described as wearing is obviously supposed to be some kind of tacky touristy hawaiian shirt. Kirby draws him in a jesters outfit.
He also drew trolls yellow for some reason, made Rincewind an old man, drew Herrena, the Henna-haired Harridan as exactly the cliche Pratchett said she wasn't, etc. His covers are loving awful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbh the thing that bothers me about Pratchett having his notes destroyed is, like
It just seems kind of dickish and pointless to me. Here's some stuff that you know people would be really interested in seeing, but you're going to just destroy it so they can't?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can see why they were destroyed though. She's a good writer, but this way it ensures his work and legacy are firmly his, and not up for grabs at a later date due to circumstances no one could have imagined. Maybe she goes bankrupt and has to sell the rights? OH poo poo DISNEY DISCWORLD and man that would loving suck.
There's literally nothing preventing that. Destroying his notes doesn't do anything to anyone else's ability to cash in on his work or create sequels or adaptations ("official" or otherwise).

Samuringa posted:

It's not like there aren't enough Discworld books.
Actually there are too many. The last good one was somewhere between Jingo and Going Postal. Thud! definitely represents the point where it distinctly felt like he should have moved on and written something else, with fresh characters and without all the accumulated baggage.

Screaming Idiot posted:

like every single adaptation of Pratchett's work it's going to be goddamn awful
I say again, the cartoons are good. Especially Wyrd Sisters.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like Brian Herbert and KJA have inspired a bunch of writers to publicly nuke their notes so that decades down the line, people can’t claim that their weird sequels that contain things that blatantly contradict the original work were based on outlines in a safe deposit box.

You could just release it instead. Just put it in your will that all your notes and unfinished works are public domain. Then if anyone writes anything based on them everyone can see what was actually there and what the new author added. Seems like a better solution to that particular problem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I'm a big fan of "Japan gets its own school and the entire rest of Asia, including the two most populous countries on Earth, shares one"

Not all of Asia. Some of it's grouped in with Australia and New Zealand and the Pacific islands.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It just occurred to me: wizards can teleport. Why would these schools be based around geographic region rather than eg. language? It's no easier to get to a school that's nearby. If you want to go to Hogwarts, you just teleport to London and get the train like everyone else.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Mar 2, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wizard teleportation is explicitly a difficult thing to do and generally not done too casually, Harry and pals only get taught how to do it in the last book or two. (more or less equivalent to getting a driver's license)
The driver's licence comparison seems accurate to me. It's not something you let kids do, but adults do it pretty casually. And I'm pretty sure they can take people with them as well? Plus there's obviously the ability to set up stuff like the floo network that lets you teleport from fixed locations to other fixed locations without even needing to do the magic yourself. The only context in which teleportation is difficult to do is from the perspective of children.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

...but she can't stop worrying about the bears.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

IDEOTV was way better when it had a different guest each episode, and the episodes with guests are still the best ones by far.

there wolf posted:

Which do you think is more common, scifi books that suddenly turn to magic, or fantasy books that suddenly involve aliens and space travel?
I don't know which is more common, but the former is way worse. "The stuff that everyone thought was magic is actually advanced technology" can work pretty well if done right, but "you thought this story was going to make sense but nope it's just magic, deal with it" is pretty much always going to be a letdown.

One twist I do like when it's done well though is magic is real but people study it scientifically. Like how in True Blood they figure out what it is about blood that vampires need to live and create an artificial version. Vampires are still magic, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're completely beyond understanding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WendyO posted:

one of his super powers is rape.

Uh, what?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gats Akimbo posted:

I read a lot of high fantasy and romance, love me some Tolkien, Jack Vance and Tanith Lee, and I bounced hard off that. I think he's trying to be Vancian with that "monger of spies" stuff, and it's really not working for him.

I mean, compare it with:

quote:

Cugel was a man of many capabilities, with a disposition at once flexible and pertinacious. He was long of leg, deft of hand, light of finger, soft of tongue. His hair was the blackest of black fur, growing low down his fore-head, coving sharply back above his eyebrows. His darting eye, long inquisitive nose and droll mouth gave his somewhat lean and bony face an expression of vivacity, candor, and affability. He had known many vicissitudes, gaining therefrom a suppleness, a fine discretion, a mastery of both bravado and stealth. Coming into the possession of an ancient lead coffin -- after discarding the contents -- he had formed a number of leaden lozenges.
Sorry, but is that supposed to be an example of better writing? Because it's terrible. This guy needs to put the thesaurus down and back away slowly. If I try to read any one of those sentences out loud I just automatically put on a ridiculous voice because there is no other way to read them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Both Dirk Gently books are good but in very different ways.
The same is true of the TV adaptations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MfGrAEd_E8

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Which is better?
    Cover illustration is completely unrelated to the book's content; the person, creature, place or event shown does not appear in the story.
or
    Cover illustration depicts a character from the book, but wrong. If the character's physical appearance is described in the book then the version of them on the cover includes some unmistakable identifying detail but gets everything else wrong. If there is a way to convey personality traits in the art, these will also be wrong (eg. a staunch pacifist shown firing a gun - bonus points if the setting doesn't include guns).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AmandatheJedi (I know I know)
I don't know. Is there some problem with Amanda the Jedi? I like her videos.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My question is, did the author write these himself and attribute them to others, or does he have two friends who are just as bad at writing as he is, and in the exact same way?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I saw this tweet this morning and found it relevant to this thread:

https://twitter.com/corpseinorbit/status/1432840010110230528
What does "produced algorithmically" mean here? Because if they're saying those books are written by computers without human input, that's nonsense. All those "written by AI" things are, at the very least, heavily curated by hand. And for anything the length of even a short book, the human has to be driving the process to keep it from being completely incoherent. If you're looking to get a book written as quickly and cheaply as possible, I'm pretty sure a human is still the best option. Especially when you can just buy up some already-written fanfic and do a find/replace for proper nouns.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was thinking about book recommendations today and got to wondering, are there particular things you see before starting a book and just instantly feel like you're heading for some terrible writing?
Made-up fantasy/sci-fi names for real things. Or things that are functionally identical to real things but have lasers or magic added for no reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kchama posted:

Like how people put '-gate' at the end of a scandal when it has nothing to do with Watergate.
If you reverse the pattern back to the beginning, the only reasonable conclusion is that "watergate" referred to a scandal relating to water.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

And throughout the series the protagonist makes it very clear that for the rest of the galaxy to survive, the only way forwards is complete and utter genocide of that species. She's got basically Kwisatz Haderach levels of precognition, and even she cannot see any other way but wholesale eradication. And that explicitly includes destroying their young and newborn, IIRC with the protagonist making a note that re-education simply wouldn't work.

Using science fiction to explore the question of "What if you had to do a genocide though? Absolutely had to. No choice. Wouldn't that be ethically and morally ok then? Now I'm not saying that Hitler had no choice but it makes you think, right?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

Currently reading a real bait-n-switch, unsure if I should put it down in disgust halfway through or hate-read it to the end. You guys ever finish a book out of a wrongful sense of pride, refusing to give up despite knowing it's totally rubbish?

Either way, I'll write up a post later. I'm angry about it.

I used to always finish books I started, but somewhere in my 20s I realised that I could just read something good instead and have never looked back. If I'm 10% into a book and it hasn't grabbed me (and I haven't been warned in advance that it starts slow but gets good later or whatever) then I'll chuck it and try something else. If I'm three quarters of the way through and I realise I just don't care any more? Drop it. Read something else. Too much stuff to read/watch/play to waste time like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

21st Cherry boy posted:

I thought I had to finish an entire series out of spite once, I really enjoyed the first book and then the second was awful but I was like hey maybe it's a fluke I'll read the third one and it was even worse and then there was a fourth book and I thought might as well finish the series and then it ends on a cliffhanger and I found out there was a fifth book at which point my friend talked some sanity into me.

Aww, you stopped right before it got good again!