Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InediblePenguin posted:

About ten years ago I participated in a white elephant exchange and I received a complete paperback set of Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures series. This is an entire loving series of books based solely around puns. Egregiously lovely puns even as puns go. The main character is named Skeeve. There's a race of people who look like cartoon devils and they're called demons but it's short for "dimensional travellers." There's a planet of Mafia stereotypes headed by a stupidly camp-gay "fairy godfather" get it get it get it get it. There's a place called Perv. There's a stereotypical genie-land, where the males are called Djinn and the females are called Djeanies. There's a place called Scamaroni where the people are known for being suckers. There's a place called Ronko that's "full of televisions and advertising." There's a dimension where all the inhabitants are cowards, the place is called Wuh and the inhabitants are called Wuhses. There are trolls, and the female Trolls are called Trollops.

I know you're trying to unsell the books here, but as a lover of lovely puns, I think I need these books now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I use TvTropes to spoil stuff I can't be bothered to watch. It's surprisingly comprehensive.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The_White_Crane posted:

UNITED STATES OF JAPAN

Man, I wish 'Don't judge a book by its cover' wasn't in play so hard here, because that cover is :krad:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair though neither of them would have worked with the book's setup. And we still got pre zombie reg shoe.

I think he's talking about the Watch series in general (they did start out as the Night Watch, after all), and he does kind of have a point- the later books like Fifth Elephant and Snuff were very Vimes-centric. That said, Vimes is awesome (at least by my reckoning) so this wasn't such a bad thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Squidster posted:

Weirdly, this can actually be done. There's a manga called Qualia the Purple, in which the protagonist has literally omnipotent power, but is still challenged. She can replay every choice in her life to try every possible outcome in pursuit of her goals, and when killed just uses quantum immortality to try again. But she's limited by her own mind - she can only make choices she can imagine. Even as an immortal multidimensional god-thing, she's only as smart as a gifted teenager. The only limit in her universe is her.

Welp, found something new to read.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Getsuya posted:

There is one really, really good netnovel I've read (it's actually one of my favorite series right now) but yeah the current flood of 'other world/vrmmo' netnovels that are getting published is mostly embarrassingly bad.

It's fine when they're free online but once they get published the bookstores are asking $10-ish for barely-edited nerd wish fulfillment of the worst possible kind.

Aren't they mostly (like, 99%) self-insert fiction? It seems that there's a general trend where a bland highschool protagonist goes into a fantasy world inhabited by hot chicks with big boobs, who all fall in love with him once said protagonist somehow turns into a combination of Alexander the Great and Superman. Also everyone has and knows their RPG stats for some reason.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SerialKilldeer posted:

Caligula: Divine Carnage by Stepehn Barber and Jeremy Reed

I have got to get this book :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's like Gloryhammer and Gwar had a kid, then gave that kid bath salts and meth :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Silvergun1000 posted:

So what exactly is a light novel? Is that just what they call the YA genre in Japan or is there more to it than that?

They're mostly wish-fulfilment books with manga pics here and there.

EDIT: If I may quote myself from earlier in the thread, they're similar to web novels in that:

CommissarMega posted:

there's a general trend where a bland highschool protagonist goes into a fantasy world inhabited by hot chicks with big boobs, who all fall in love with him once said protagonist somehow turns into a combination of Alexander the Great and Superman. Also everyone has and knows their RPG stats for some reason.

CommissarMega has a new favorite as of 11:57 on May 11, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Wait... Were there really people who thought My Immortal was real?

I did when it first came out (I think I found out about it on a site called GAFF- God Awful Fan Fiction), but after a while, it sunk even into my thick head that no sincere Suethor would go as far as she did while being criticized.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, I thought Cloud Mows The Lawn was pretty tame compared to stuff like Celebrian, AiP and Tracy's BBQ (now that last one seriously traumatized me).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got off a livestream where this dude I'm following read a terrible book. The stream's 3.5 hours long, but sooo worth listening to if you have the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hufEKggev2o

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Comrade Koba posted:

The kid that died on the previous expedition was really a kickass super-spy. When they finally find his frozen corpse, they find out he was carrying a secret weapon to use against the Nazis: a set of detailed photographs of Hitler having gay sex with Jewish kids.

In the epilogue, the protagonist personally hands the pictures over to Winston Churchill, who later uses them to blackmail Nazi Germany into not invading Britain.

Now I'm wondering if Hyperion was some kind of anomaly. Seriously, WTF is up with that ending?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought John Ringo admitted that Ghost was basically him letting his id run free? Or was that just a lame attempt to make himself look better? I'm not excusing the quality of the book or the writer, mind you, just wondering.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

outlier posted:

* CP is also a travelogue novel, a "let's come up with an excuse to tour this world I've built". Which can be a lazy genre.

Are there any books like this which are good? It does sound like a hoot if done right.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FrozenVent posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Man, that legit sucks. To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing novel, and one I love to death :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thing is, IIRC the original picture's quality was so bad, it would have been possible to mistake them for small pastries, maybe a strange, large kind of bean (or maybe my eyes are just that bad). However, the poster doubled down, and said something like 'shrimp are an uncommon food, how would you expect a normal person to know what those are?!' and things went on from there.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh, so they are- my memory's taking the piss, it seems.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Have we found it? The new Eye of Argon?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ahahaha she has the murder axe :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

...Eye of Argon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chitoryu12 posted:

Ah, at this point in the book Will has an unwanted erection during a conversation, so he closes his eyes and thinks about the Holocaust to get rid of it.

Well, what do YOU do to get rid of an unwanted erection, huh?