Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

It hurts me as the series was a favourite as a kid but the entire Belgariad and its sequel are really pretty drat poorly written.

Pretty much consistent terrible view of women and how they should act (aka, completely irrationally at all times). Mary Sue characters that can defeat any obstacle. Cliched as hell "heroes journey" (to be fair, early 80's fantasy) and a completely blank and boring main hero (garion) with no personality traits whatsover.

I still have a great deal of nostalgic love for the series as I read it even before lord of the rings but it really does not hold up under critical scrutiny at all.

Funnily enough the Elenium was overall a MUCH tighter and better written book series that was completely undone by its awful sequel trilogy.

I haven't read any Eddings in a while, and his last series was pretty bad even for teenage me, but those books will always have a special place in my heart. It's not good, but at least it's charming.

I absolutely agree the Elenium is better, though.

Speaking of David Eddings,

pentyne posted:

Nah, Eragon the first book was actually fairly competant for a YA fantasy novel. The following ones with the perfect vegetarian elf race that were unquestionably superior to meat eating scum were poo poo.

Eragon straight up plagiarized the Belgariad. The scene where Eragon's mentor teaches him magic uses the same set-up and the same joke as when Belgarath is teaching Garion magic. Mentor guy even reacts with the same line, word for word.

I like how with all of the Star Wars talk, nobody has brought up the X-Wing series. They were my first Star Wars books, and the best ones I read. I never read the Thrawn ones. It's funny, they are both Star Wars and 100% military fiction, but are better than 98% of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Oh believe me I agree with you, it still holds a place in my heart as the first fantasy series I really read through properly and enjoyed. Just that whole "adult perspective" brings out some of its less well written and/or intended themes.

The Elenium largely corrected the basic issues that the Belgariad had in having a competent and not boring main character and more realistic side characters. Less awful female characters (by just not having any but one female character who fortunatley wasnt an awful monster like Polgara) and having a more fun and concise goal based adventure.

I don't know, I thought the main woman witch in both series were similar. Apparently Eddings' wife co-wrote most of his books, and they were semi-self-inserts. It's been most of a decade since I read any of them, though. And that makes me feel old.

But I agree that the characters in the Elenium were basically like if the side characters in the Belgariad weren't saddled with a couple of coming of age stories.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

These threads always make me want to start writing again, because even though I have maybe a thousand hours of writing to go before I would even submit something to CC for critique, I know I will never be as bad as some of these authors.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, I know. It's just too low on my priority list to do tight now. Once I finish school in 5 months, probably.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not until I get more practice, I haven't written since 2010.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol @ this failson for thinking there's time to write when u start work. chortling at my desk kneedeep in wet spreadsheets and contracts to vet through. they are wet from my tears

I'm already working full time. That's why I'm not writing now too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pretty sure that's just the racism.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really wish Piers Anthony wasn't so gross. I read a ton of his stuff when I was too young to realize how creepy some of it was. By all accounts, he is an extremely nice guy. But he should really see a therapist, if not a full blown psychiatrist.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He murders a crowd of protesting pacifists because they support the bad guys. This is portrayed as a good thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Ah, Heinlein. The only book of his I ever attempted was Stranger In A Strange Land. The setup was interesting and I actually hung with it until. Until.

There's a scene where he's having sex with... whoever, and in the throes of passion she cries out, "Thou art God!"

Aaaaannnd that's where I gave up in disgust. According to a friend of mine who read the whole thing, I picked a good place to stop.

I never read it, but I want to like it for 2 reasons. 1) It's Space Jesus vs. Scientology-Christianity. 2) Senile Libertarian Heinlein hated it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess Gary Larson just had too much self-respect, so they hired someone to rip off Gary Larson.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

excuse me but what does it feel like being in the Kingdom of Wrong

Please tell me that's Arthur.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't remember that, but it did have a graphic rape scene that was pretty traumatizing for 14-year-old me.

Also child molestation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

flosofl posted:

The only EU books worth a poo poo are the Thrawn novels by Zahn.

The X-Wing novels were fun fighter pilot military fiction. I've probably still got a few of them in storage. Looking it up, apparently they came out with a tenth one in 2012. Maybe it's time to go to the library and then buy a new bottle of whiskey. It's called "Mercy Kill" too. Sounds like a Clive Cussler title.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I thought Zero History was the best of the three, though I was kind of hoping there'd be some better Bigend wrap up.

I loved how there was the plot that I barely remember with some sort of military uniform pants or something, but there was also another plot about jeans. I'm not even being ironic when I say I like it. A popular brand of expensive jeans is something that an actual, real billionaire mogul would be interested in getting his hands on. It doesn't have to be all cargo containers full of cash or experimental technology.