Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tinker is an urban fantasy novel where some sort of portal opened, connecting the world to a bunch of elves and enabling magic to return to the world. Tinker is the scrappy female protagonist, who runs a salvage business and has her life interrupted by an elf prince named Wolfwind or some poo poo like that, being chased by actual wolves.

I honestly don't remember how the plot turned out, except when she meets the elf prince she immediately starts thinking about how her current boyfriend sucks, and several chapters later she bangs him.

And it turns out the elf secretly used a spell tied to his sperm to turn her into an elf without her consent or knowledge. And she's immediately okay with it and realizes that her old boyfriend sucked a lot and when he was 'spontaneous' he just didn't plan things through ahead of time

and then I threw the book away because seriously what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

Are we doing a bad sequel/later in the series theme? I was pretty pissed off with Well of Ascention. Mistborn makes it pretty clear who the hero of book two is/should be, and yet she's spends a good chunk of it totally paralyzed by self-doubt and indecision. And then an honest to god evil twin of her love interest shows up and she can't choose between them! Turned me off Sanderson completely.

First off, I agree, Well of Ascension sucks and goes on way too long. It's Sanderon's worst example of 'all the plot progression is right at the end'.

Second, Zane is 100% using his emotional control abilities on Vin, and once you start looking for it it's super noticeable. Even then she never really gets swayed too far towards him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. dracula is one of my favorite book, (Victorian horror/writing in a epistolary style) the idea that modern science stops vampires, thing is, blood typing wasn't invented yet. so lucy was getting who knows what kind of blood in her.(which i am sure the fan ficitionists have used as an excuse.)

It's interesting seeing the old medical texts judging when to start blood transfusions, back before they figured out blood typing. Crazy nuts mad science.

quote:

The danger from extreme loss of blood, when this reaches two thirds of the total amount in the economy, lies in the want of proportion between the volume of the vascular contents and their capacity, and this danger is met by the volume of fluid introduced whether this contains albumen and blood corpuscles or not.

The proper restitution however is brought about by the regenerative activity of the organism, as whatever of serum or blood corpuscles is introduced into the system, is in all cases decomposed and excreted. Only in cases in which more than two thirds of the blood volume is lost, in which case the momentary hydraemia is of itself dangerous, is the injection of blood to be preferred. In such a case the introduction of blood corpuscles might avert the danger momentarily and the corpuscles might serve the purposes of respiration until they were destroyed.

"Sorry man, you only lost half your blood, no transfusion for you.

The skeptical medical texts are also great.

quote:

To elevate transfusion from its theoretical position in the healing art and from its doubtful value in medicine as a therapeutic measure the operation must be simplified. As a rule blood transfusion should be dispensed with and an artificial substitute found.
All complex instruments must be abandoned and a method devoid of danger and of easy application employed. Then indeed will physicians rejoice in a considerable increase to their territory and surgeons in the addition of an important item to their list of conservative operations.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Content: I really wish Brandon Sanderson would cut off the first halves of his books, because it's only then do things start to happen.

It's definitely his a weakness as a writer, but the later books are a lot better about it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Why the hell are these loner main characters playing online games to begin with? Isn't the point of an MMO the community and teaming up with people?

They could be playing SWTOR

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not senile so much as had a serious carotid artery blockage in the mid seventies, and at least one mini-stroke.

While surgery helped with the blockage, his writing never really recovered.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Most of the complaints I heard about Twilight were from the end of the series where things got weird like the baby and werewolf thing.

Yeah imprinting on a fetus as a romantic partner, then the parent giving the baby to that person to raise is super hosed up

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Not SF, but hit up the Modesty Blaise series for a heroine who's a weapons and hand-to-hand combat expert, super thief, ex-crime-boss now retired and working for MI6, different boyfriend every book/comic storyline but stays on good terms with exes, etc etc. They're great fun.

Was about to recommend Modesty Blaise myself.

And I'd love a burn notice style Modesty Blaise TV show. Provided the executives didn't force in a romance with Willie, at least.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

The narrator points out that the alternate services are all things that are probably more likely to kill you than the military. Hazardous waste disposal, medical experimentation subject, etc. I don't remember if human target practice was one of the examples thrown out but that was pretty much the tone laid out. One way or another, you had to let the government try to kill you before you got any say in your government.

All I recall is something like 'oh by the way if you were blind and didn't have any legs we'd still give you some pointless busywork like counting the fuzz on a caterpillar by touch'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow that's a weird as gently caress fantasy setting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The author of desert called peace is super touchy and last time someone wrote a negative review he came to the thread to argue, then put a bad caricature of the reviewer into his next book

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"The thread" meaning THIS thread?

Need this lore.

Nah, it was offsite. Don't recall other details, except the caricature was a malfunctioning transsexual battletank that everyone hated or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:justpost: worst case he gives lowtax :10bux: and shows up to whinge, best case we get a new letter from leonardo j crabs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Gonna go back in time and give this to the actual Colonel

Have you seen his opinions on what KFC was like before he died? They were amazing he hated it so much

Link please.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, Twilight can't hold a candle to Fifty Shades when it comes to terrible writing.

Fifty shades is twilight fanfic so yeah duh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The courage to move on and heal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Did you know that the guy who played Quark on Deep Space Nine wrote a book? Did you know it's terrible?

The Merchant Prince by Armin Shimerman and Michael Scott tells the story of Armin Shimerman John Dee, sexy super-genius who saves the world from Lex Luther and aliens. Well, not literally Lex Luther, just a bald trillionaire supervillain who's secretly being used by aliens who want to conquer the Earth.

The plot is really dumb, but it's fairly easy reading and would probably be entirely unremarkable if not for the fact that the protagonist is clearly supposed to be Shimerman - to the extent that the picture of Dee on the cover actually has Shimerman's face. I don't know if it's incredible narcissism or tragic insecurity, but there's got to be something really wrong with someone to write themself into a book like this.

A merchant saving the planet from aliens?

It's quark's self-insert historical fanfic, I don't really see the problem you have with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Imagine RPO but the billionaire is Ulillillia and they have to memorize facts about bubsy 3d instead. Instantly a much more solid and intriguing work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Both are bad, Nix is erratic as gently caress as an author and the earlier Sabriel series is in retrospect less of an improvement and more a fluke.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

I guess it's well he just needs to stop going back to if he doesn't have any more stories for it. I mean what else is there to write once you've defeated the literal world-destroying evil?

Defeat a minor minion of the evil, apparently.

I mean, I guess it worked in LotR but that wasn't a whole book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

divabot posted:

There are no general ebook stores that accept crypto. None. :thunk:

Email me a bitcoin personally and I will figure out the details and email you a book myself

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

outlier posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Heinlein deliberately wrote SiaSL for anti-establishment youth. It's definitely a period piece: it reads like the Summer of Love and generation gap never ended.

And late Heinlein novels are just full of sexy women who love being sexy. Charitably, I'd say he was just writing what his audience wanted. (Just like Neal Stephenson.)

late Heinlein was post-brain-damage so that probably contributed to the drop in quality

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Haha jeez I haven't volunteered in a library for over a decade and still find that incredibly dumb. Wouldn't have been hard to ask a simple question of someone in the profession your protag is.

Note to self: whenever I have to write a profession with no research, just add a quick line or two saying "this bullshit wasn't normally part of his job and it was a loving tedious pain in the rear end to have to do it"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Depends on who does the ordering I suspect. My school library had a ton of Tamora Pierce, Elizabeth Moon, and Weis fantasy books, which were generally pretty good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I didn't like that because of how it interacted with the previous book - it really felt like 'my boyfriend turned out to be a murderer, so now I'm a lesbian because of that' which isn't exactly great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

That's an interesting take, but not one I can really agree with. I think Daja just hero-worshiped arson dude; there wasn't anything romantic to it on her part.

At a bare minimum she was crushing on him hard

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I poked into one of those sites and it was a multi paragraph rant about a fanfic author having dared to have hermione like pepper jack cheese, and like, what the gently caress, is there some big JK Rowling retcon about how Hermione Only Likes Cheddar and that's how they found out she was being impersonated in book 8? Why the gently caress do you care about cheese?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

It's true, there were no good writers from 1881 to 1915.

The novel in its modern form was only just invented in the 1700s. It is natural to assume that people have gotten better at writing them over the years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

divabot posted:

p much false though, in fact. Techniques evolve and change (more elaborate, less elaborate, etc), but art doesn't "progress" in the manner of, say, physics. Everyone sets out to do the best one they can by the standards of the day.

I disagree. I think it's entirely possible to improve the quality of your artistic works by examining the successes and failures of others operating in the same medium.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You've never actually read a book, have you?

You're the one who is arguing that it's impossible to learn anything about writing from reading other peoples' books.

I suppose seeing your posts as a sort of outsider art would contextualize them, though.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The ancient Greeks worked out the "grammar" of drama millennia before anyone thought to put it in prose and call it a novel, so no, not really.

What works on stage, or in a novel, or on television is distinctly different. I'm surprised you didn't realize that! Different mediums require the use of different techniques, and it's entirely possible to learn from what other people did. It is, in fact, even possible to - and this may shock you - pay money, go to an institute of higher education and have a teacher (which is a kind of helpful person who has studied a medium intently) give you advice that can improve your artistic endeavors in the particular medium of their specialty.

In fact, the present day makes the ability to learn how to write available to everyone - there is no point in history where it has been easier to get access to education!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alaois posted:

is there a class i can take to learn how to post this insufferably

just read my posts you'll catch on eventually

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

Honestly a gorilla fanfic campaign where a bunch of people write stories to improve, flesh out, or deconstruct the world of a specific novel that then all get packaged into an anthlogy, could be kind of interesting.

So like the Malatora thread?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Laserjet 4P posted:

Late reply and it’s not really guerilla but there is David Malki’s “Machine of Death” duology which I really like a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_of_Death

That's a series riffing entirely on a dinosaur comic right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

Look, you don't let your impending death by crustacean stop you from posing sexily, come on.

If you stop posing sexily you won't be TRAPPED IN A SEX OF GIANT CRABS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nerd culture has won. Superhero movies dominate the box office. Game of Thrones is a huge cultural touchstone. Videogames are a multi-million dollar industry. The stuffiest publications write glowing reviews and geeky products win national awards.

Stop acting like you're persecuted because a friend of a friend of a friend was once told Drizzt books weren't real literature

So you're saying popular things that make a lot of money from appealing to the masses are 'high' culture?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VanSandman posted:

What if you’re too poor for PMs?

Then the only way you can keep up a discussion is by shelling out $$ one way or another.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

relevant to this thread

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Lee posted:

The deal here is that it's not fully explainable by/to non-ascended beings, but it's kind of a collective-will-of-the-group thing, and the Culture has collectively decided not to ascend to the status of Full Gods just yet, because matter and the current universe are fun.

Trapped in a state of adolescent neotony is a good descriptor of the Culture in general.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lifg posted:

Seveneves by Stephenson is not good. It’s barely even a book, it’s a series of technological solutions to problems, surrounded by a thin plot and thinner characters. This book might be fine if you read it expecting “The Martian 2.0.” But if you’re like me, and have heard nothing but superlatives about what Stephenson is doing to sci-fi, about his heavy tomes pushing the genre forward, then this book is a heavy let down.

Let's be honest it was written title first, rest of the story later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Haha. Reading the winning entry and then Watts' was a pretty big hoot.

Link, for the lazy:

https://seat14c.com/future_ideas/37D

Man I hate that webdesign. My optimistic vision of the future is one where we won't have websites that suck as bad.