Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Alaois posted:

that'd be Tom Kratmann, another guy who uses the same vanity press that Ringo uses and writes other not-at-all disguised Nazi glorification fiction

What's even better is that Kratman was a Lieutenant Colonel in the US army, and was apparently the director of Rule of Law for the "Peacekeeping and Stability Operations Institute".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

canis minor posted:

edit: Can't decide if Gibson's Blue Ant trilogy is dryer or not than his other works - the anticlimaxes of endings made me reread Bridge and still can't decide.

I would say they are, and I think deliberately so. At times the Blue Ant books seem like they're deliberately parodying thrillers/Gibson's earlier books.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Grevling posted:

The extremely cartoonish villain, a German baron who tries to fly a loving blimp from Germany to Africa. That's his master plan and the center of the plot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZ_104_(L_59)

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Djeser posted:

are you saying Emily Bronte, the real life person who wrote under the male pseudonym Ellis Bell, is likely to have been a female pseudonym?

:confused:

It's a Blackadder joke, ya goof.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

The "good grief" means that it's Charlie Brown. This is canon now.

Edit: :argh:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Drunken Baker posted:

Also the kid who played Joffrey used to get spat at in the street because people are loving IDIOTS.

Goes back even further: Tim Piggot-Smith has talked about being castigated on the street because of his character in The Jewel in the Crown.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

xcheopis posted:

Startide Rising has a dolphin sexually harassing a crewmate.

That just seems like the result of some solid research into dolphins.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually had an idea for an RPG campaign set in the Harry Potter universe, but based around street kids in 1970s New York. Basically The Warriors with magic.

You better have wanted to use the Unknown Armies rules for this.

'cos if you didn't... :argh:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

SimonChris posted:

What did David Eddings do? I thought he just wrote mediocre fantasy sagas.

“The couple adopted one boy in 1966, Scott David.[9][10] They adopted a younger girl between 1966 and 1969.[10] In 1969 they lost custody of both children and each were sentenced to a year in jail from separate trials after pleading guilty to child abuse.[11][12] Though the nature of the abuse, the trial and the sentencing were all extensively reported in North Dakota newspapers at the time, these details did not resurface during their successful joint career as fantasy authors, only coming to light several years after both had died.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Eddings

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Calexio posted:

Most popular genre's crime thrillers with dark moody cityscape covers with a man (usually) in silhouette, probably holding a gun. They are all called Hard Promises or Broken Justice or some bollocks. My favourite though is one called Make Me, which just sounds so absurdly petulant when I'm sure it's meant to come across as tough-guy macho.

All bad book fans should watch A Gun for George.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh my god Dickens is the most transparently paid-by-the-word author ever.

Dickens was not paid by the word.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Noted bad book author Storm Constantine has died, aged 64.

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2021/jan/19/fantasy-world-pays-tribute-to-storm-constantine?__twitter_impression=true

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but that’s more because the Greeks seem to loving love their characters being weird assholes. They might not see it as a negative

Truth in television oral poetry!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Who would you say Peter Troyer is describing in this essay?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1455121559362932736?t=5s1OPrZEJhZOQIlp3QyDWg&s=19

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Ricky Gervais broke into the industry by creating something of value (The Office). Giles Coren broke into the industry by being Alan Coren's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

darkwasthenight posted:

It was certainly better than Mostly Harmless which is at best pretty bleak and at worst entirely mean-spirited towards the entire series.

Yeah, Mostly Harmless is the only bad Hitchiker's book. It reads like Adams was depressed.