Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But seriously, I can see why the length can be a turn-off. What annoyed me was the anti-climactic last 100 pages.

What? If it weren't for the last 100 pages I might have written it off. I absolutely love the culmination of characters and events.

My wife and I watched the series, then she read the book. I think the book is more accessible after seeing the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

e:What a way to start a new page. For content, I remember Island of the Blue Dolphins being fairly terrible. But part of that might be it being a boring book that I was forced to read in at least 3 different grade levels. It really feels like it was written specifically to become a curriculum book, rather than happening to become one based off its reading level and popularity.

Oh man, chiming in 26 years later to say gently caress that book. I remember being in tears at how much I hated it, and my mom was like "It can't be that bad!"

Then she read some of it and was like "Oh. Yeah it's bad but write your book report."

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yes, but at no point does Nick turn to the audience and tell them that Gatsby was a liar and a bad person and we shouldn't feel sorry for him. Every novel has to have subtlety of a Christian Hell House otherwise who can say what the author's intent was!

If there's one thing high school English class taught me, it's that each novel has one and only one correct interpretation, and you'll get points off if you don't know it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I did music for a Shakespeare production of Taming of the Shrew. For one of the pre-opening runs, some high school students were invited in to watch. They were mostly disinterested, but during one back-and-forth between characters, one pulls out a 'yo momma' joke.

From the back row this one dude just went "OOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!" and that's how you know the language is getting through to the audience.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I couldn't get through 6 chapters of the first Dresden book. Felt really fan-fiction-y to me.