Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
About ten years ago I participated in a white elephant exchange and I received a complete paperback set of Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures series. This is an entire loving series of books based solely around puns. Egregiously lovely puns even as puns go. The main character is named Skeeve. There's a race of people who look like cartoon devils and they're called demons but it's short for "dimensional travellers." There's a planet of Mafia stereotypes headed by a stupidly camp-gay "fairy godfather" get it get it get it get it. There's a place called Perv. There's a stereotypical genie-land, where the males are called Djinn and the females are called Djeanies. There's a place called Scamaroni where the people are known for being suckers. There's a place called Ronko that's "full of televisions and advertising." There's a dimension where all the inhabitants are cowards, the place is called Wuh and the inhabitants are called Wuhses. There are trolls, and the female Trolls are called Trollops. There are nineteen of these motherfucking books. They have no redeeming features, except, I guess, that there aren't 20 of them.

I hid them in the back of the closet when I moved, which was really mean of me, because what if the people who moved in after me found those books and actually read them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

World War Z was utter loving poo poo. The Survival Guide was stupid and poorly researched to start with, and don't loving try to write in a format where "multiple people are narrating" if you're loving poo poo and can't write in a different voice. Like a bad impressionist who can't change his voice and is like "now I'll be Batman: I am the night! now I'll be a soldier: semper fi herobravery!" in his normal voice but because his dad is a famous comedian everybody keeps going drat HAVE YOU HEARD HIS IMPRESSIONS

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

you are a terrible poster with a strange aggressive attitude that sparks of anger problems, and projections of your own life failings onto other people by virtue of their subjective taste in media items which are of little interest to you. perhaps, consider therapy.

You're really defensive, is it your favorite book or do you just have a beef with that poster?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

mycot posted:

Well you could just look at Sleeveless's post history and decide for yourself.

Don't you need plat for that? I'm a gay poor :shrug:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

Anne McCaffrey who wrote The Dragoriders of Pern also supported the notion that men turn gay if you rape them.

also that being a bottom inherently makes you flamboyant, in a clear cause-and-effect relationship

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

it's called Red Prophet and it has stereotype Native Americans on it wow

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

It's trying to deliberately invoke the prose of the time, when authors were paid by the word and consequently padded like all hell.

I love Jane Austen and Patrick O'Brian but Strange & Norrel was loving poo poo and this is just an excuse. It's possible to mimic that style without being a lead brick of lovely prose.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

his cock, obviously

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Thursday Next posted:

I actually really enjoyed the Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin. They're definitely kids' books, make no mistake - I wouldn't even qualify them as "YA fiction" or whatever the modern classification is.

The paperback set I had, there were an awful lot of real huge titties on the covers, like, waaaay more balloon cleavage than I'd expect for a kid's book, which kind of set the tone for how I read them, honestly

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I've never read this book but the wiki article on the five special cliques the sorting hat puts you in says "Because of the Erudite's thirst for knowledge, they are the ones easily susceptible to moral corruption as knowledge leads to lust for power" which, yeah, sounds kinda anti-intellectual when you put it like that, doesn't it

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Are Frances & Joseph Gies' books (Life in a Medieval [city/village/castle], and one on the technological advances that took place in the period, and probably some others) denigrated these days or is their scholarship still considered good? I haven't read them in a hot minute but I remember finding them informative and enjoyable.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

The History of Private Life, Volume II: Revelations of the Medieval World, edited by Philippe Ariès & Georges Duby and translated by Arthur Goldhammer, is a good more-scholarly-but-still-pretty-accessible work that I enjoyed reading, although I kinda skipped through the segment on chansons de geste. There's a focus on France overall but also a long chapter on family life in pre-Renaissance Tuscany and just in general there's a lot going on in that book

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

There are several commercial products for just that purpose. Some of the disposable ones are in fact cardboard. Obviously they don't look remotely like penises, but lol at that author feeling threatened by cardboard funnels.

some of them look like penises because that's the point of them (so trans men can use the urinals without getting outed, which is dangerous) but yeah the cardboard ones aren't willy-shaped

they all, universally, have stupid names ftr ("she-wee" and "go-girl" for women, "pee-cock" and "man-go" for dudes....)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Xarbala posted:

It sounds like you could pull it out of an Exalted sourcebook

it sounds like a weed strain

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

im the transvestite valet

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Am I really going to be the first to ask why her skin is green? I'm pretty sure becoming a vampire doesn't turn you into Shrek

Look at the background of the picture on the left. The whole scene has green lighting, probably meant to invoke the weird look given by cheap fluorescents in a public restroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

there wolf posted:

I kind of have to disagree. I don't think the problem is deep worldbuilding and thinking way past the limits of the story you want to tell, since that stuff contributes a lot to consistency and believability. It's thinking that all the stuff you thought of has to go into the finished story. Go ahead and come up with some elaborate pre-history that explains where the horses came from, but don't feel like you need to include it if it doesn't end up relevant to the story.

yeah but like drat do people like to state that no you NEED to include it so your readers know you did the work. those types of readers are the ones making those posts on Twitter etc and that's the content of the posts: "you need to do this and you need to put it in the work or your work isn't fully fleshed out" it is writing advice from the readers who write to editors to complain that the author is an idiot who failed to reasonably explain in the story how and why these people knew how to bake bread when in the real world blah blah blah