Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kopijeger posted:

As for worst book, possibly "The Bear and the Dragon" by Tom Clancy. Aside from the infamous "Japanese sausage" euphemism, it seemed ridiculous how easily Russia allied with the US, how absurdly effective the high-tech cluster bombs were, how Ryan put himself at risk on the cruiser rather than allow himself to be evacuated and how the Chinese government was toppled in a bloodless coup just because they put a camera feed from drones on the internet.

Don't forget the repeated characterization of Chinese people as "Klingons" who "don't value life the way we do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Doesn't Christopher Tolkien just publish his father's library of old notes?

He does a lot of editing, which he's gotten better at over the years. It's a better management of the legacy than Brian Herbert, that's for certain.

Some of the History of Middle-Earth books are more scholarly analysis of the evolution of the story through JRRT's life.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I don't disagree with you but I have to say that despite all that, Farnham's Freehold was worse.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tiggum posted:

I don't know this to be true, but I think he actually believed that everyone secretly agreed that incest is fine, it was just some cultural taboo that kept us from saying it. It's a common thing in his books that someone reveals that they're OK with incest and everyone else is shocked at first but then realises that there's actually nothing wrong with it, and I think that's what he thought would or should happen in real life.

Yeah, he reminds me of the stereotypical engineer or Internet Atheist who thinks that their unexamined biases are perfectly logical, and therefore if everyone would just think about it for a bit...

Usually they completely fail to understand some fundamental aspect of humanity that makes their oh-so-logical-and-reasonable conclusions complete nonsense.

In the nastier cases this is used to justify pedophilia or other awfulness, but more often it's some seriously weird racial politics. It pops up in sf/f all the drat time, Heinlein, Jack L Chalker, and Spider Robinson being the examples that come to mind off the top of my head.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bringmyfishback posted:

No; Jubal hooks up with Patty, the tattooed snake lady [or was it Dawn Ardent? Someone in the cult compound.].

At one point, Mike gets all kind of sexy fanmail pictures and Jill makes him throw our the dude ones and tells him that homosexuality is bad. At another point, I think he sees some gay dudes and "groks a wrongness." If I remember correctly, Jubal just says "Eh, people are people" to the idea of homosexuality.

I don't think Jubal gets into the sex cult. I think that was Ben the lawyer dude.

My recollection is that early in the book Jubal and Jill are talking about the dirty pictures as part of a discussion of the fanmail Mike has been getting (Jill is throwing out all the nudes regardless of gender because she thinks they would confuse Mike), and Jubal either says or speculates internally that he thinks Mike would sense a "wrongness" to any gay man that propositioned him in person. So it's Jubal's old-fashioned sensibilities talking. Of course since Jubal is one of Heinlein's "wise and cynical elder" mouthpieces it's hard to determine where the author's and the character's opinions differ. I'm not convinced that all of the mouthpieces across Heinlein's work are perfect reflections of his own beliefs, but there are enough common threads (eg, incest) that I'm never sure.

I'm certainly not going to reread Stranger any time soon to try and puzzle it out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

His son, the perspective character of the back half of the series, studied computer science in 1970s Berkeley and puts together a sentient AI whose physical machinery is a planet-sized maze of obsidian circuitry. It is hinted that the cosmic force backing the hand of alt-Camelot and empowering its royalty is a much, much more advanced expression of that basic idea.

What, really? I wasn't exactly reading Amber with a critical eye in my teens, but I don't remember that last part. What did I miss?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wiggy Marie posted:

For a new contribution (sorry if I missed it), a friend and I hateread the Caine Black Knife series by Matthew Woodring Stover. The first book in the series has an...interesting premise, in that the main characters are Actors who phase into an alternate fantasy-style dimension in order to play out fantasy characters for TV shows back here in reality, where evil Jew producers and SS-style police are the enemy.

This series is hilariously over the top and gets worse as it goes. The violence is excessive in a desperate bid to make it intense, and it comes across as silly. The main character, Hari, is known as the assassin Caine in the TV series, and is the most awesome assassin to ever grace the pages, according to Stover. He's an honorable type of assassin, so he tells you, in stupid painful detail, why he's killing you as you die. Hari/Caine's main enemy in the fantasy dimension is Mael'Koth, who actually is in love with him and builds a giant statue of Caine's face from hundreds of clay bodies of other people. Because Caine is the sum of humanity you see. Mael'Koth eventually ends up as God (not a god, God) of this dimension. This is a bit of a theme.

Characters muse on how they've never been hit as hard as they were by Caine's awesome fists. His life philosophies are so incredibly deep that a religion is started called Cainism. He gets a back injury which paralyzes him from the waist down, which he wills away by his Caine-style awesomeness. He's raped by a lady but it's ok because she's a lady and you can't rape a dude, guys.

I won't even get into how the women are characterized. Suffice to say "poorly." They are ALL bitches who want Caine. His female love interest, Pallas Ril, becomes a god by falling into a river. She is also a bitch. Also you're either beautiful or covered in disgusting warts, you whore.

This is funny and surprising to me because Stover wrote some of the few actually readable Star Wars EU books before the Disney buyout wiped the old canon. Reading the novelization of Episode III actually made me enjoy the movie better, and the Star Wars Books thread in the Book Barn will tell you the rest of his stuff is the best of a mediocre lot too.

I'd never have suspected he'd be such a goddam schlock writer in his original property.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Scruffy the Janitor saying, "She walks in beauty, like a pile of rocks and critters," before purposefully licking his fingertip and turning the page of his nudie magazine.

Second.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Anno Dracula is the only "sequel" to Dracula one really needs.)

Fred Saberhagen's "The Dracula Tape" is pretty fun. I haven't read the rest of the series though - I'm not sure it needed to continue after that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

Nah, it was offsite. Don't recall other details, except the caricature was a malfunctioning transsexual battletank that everyone hated or something.

Oh Christ, that guy. I hadn't realized. Yeah, there's a reason several popular SF/F discussion forums refer to him by the anagram of his name, "Tank Marmot".

Not importing outside drama by naming forums but if anyone is curious what happened PM me and I can provide some of the links. In a few cases the meltdown is actually pretty funny.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to think that they did consult actual historians and got trolled really hard, like they were Zim and the historians were the Tallest:

"That seems a little unlikely..."
"It's not unlikely! It's ~meticulously researched~ :iamafag:"

There is historical precedent: Margaret Mead got the poo poo trolled out of her by Samoan teenagers lying through their teeth about their sex lives, and for a long time everybody took Coming of Age in Samoa as basically gospel truth.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sounds like I'm the one who got trolled wrt Mead's scholarship. Apologies and thank you for the correction.

Also those Roman histories are amazing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Weren't they like 50% of the Sad Puppies too?

One of the oft-repeated claims of both the Puppy brigades is that the "SJW"s were obviously showing favoritism by not awarding Baen's Toni Weisskopf a Best Editor (Long Form) Hugo, because she's a woman and they like women in SFF, right?

This despite the fact that Weisskopf declined to list any of her contributions to the field of editing that year (no one knows if she even personally edited any long-form works in 2014, but the Pups nominated her anyway), and the general editing quality of Baen books being more than a little poo poo - I seem to recall reading, though I can't pull a quote at the moment, that Baen's editorial policy is pretty much "Eh, can't be arsed".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

outlier posted:

This is a good opportunity to recommend the not-terrible (but pretty odd) "The Last Ringbearer" by Kirill Eskov, which is what happens when a Russian evolutionary biologist reads Lord of the Rings and says, "huh, I just can't understand the economic system or geology of Middle Earth". It assumes that LotR is basically propaganda by the winners, Mordor is a nascent industrial society, the West are superstitious Luddites being lorded over by an oligarchy of wizards and scheming elves.

It's a bit stiff (understandable given the translation from Russian) and wonky in parts but surprisingly entertaining.

I liked the concept but I got bogged down in the part where it turned into a crappy spy novel in Umbar, and never got through it.

It's too bad the translation of The Black Book of Arda seems to have stalled.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nckdictator posted:

Also, guess who published the book? Theodore "Vox 'huge rear end in a top hat' Day" Beale.

Well that loving figures.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You know those addiction experiments where they hook rats up to opiate IVs and give them a lever to press for a dose? The rats end up forgoing food and water and just pressing the lever over and over until they die.

Ready Player One is that, but for Gen Xers with 80s nostalgia.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

muscles like this! posted:

I started to read the book but didn't get very far. IIRC there wasn't really much to the whole thing as Custer didn't realize he was dead/ever conversed with the Native guy. It was just the Native guy had a bizarre stream of consciousness ramble of Custer's thoughts in his head.

If it didn't end with "Oh poo poo where did all these Indians come from" then the author missed a trick.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm grateful society has moved past making movies out of Michael Crichton books. Even if Jurassic park was more entertaining as a movie then as a book.

I'm a little surprised one of the "conservatives are oppressed in Hollywood" types like Rob Schneider or Kevin Sorbo hasn't made a film adaptation of State of Fear, really.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

9/11 broke some people's brains in a way they never recovered from. See also Orson Scott Card and that guy that draws the aardvark comic.

Dave Sim lost his mind way before 9/11, for what it's worth. You may be thinking of Dan Simmons, one of the archetypal victims of the Brain Eater.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Iron Rose posted:

Haha. Reading the winning entry and then Watts' was a pretty big hoot.

Link, for the lazy:

https://seat14c.com/future_ideas/37D

Wow, Watts is clearly not down with the contest premise. I wonder who strongarmed him into writing an entry?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Whybird posted:

I genuinely can't tell whether or not she means this as a criticism of it.

:iiam:

Edit: wait, no it isn't: https://twitter.com/RedIsDead/status/947090181512761344?s=17

:ms:

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Dec 31, 2017

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Winter Stormer posted:

*10,000 words about how actually the 'Eye of the Needle' was just a gate in Jerusalem that was a bit tricky to negotiate with a fully laden camel and therefore it's just tricky for a rich man to get into Heaven, not, heh, impossible, like the loony left would have you believe*

A youth minister once told me that the camel could pass through if it got down on its knees, and that meant the way for a rich person to get into heaven was also to kneel and be humble before God, like this was some sort of clever wordplay or something.

I remember I got in trouble for rolling my eyes at him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cornwind Evil posted:

He takes them off when he becomes Captain Amazing.

That's ridiculous. How would he see?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

even his bad stuff was still pretty good

my favorite short story of his is unicorn variations, because the entire story is a mashup of elements written so he could get paid for the same story in four different themed anthologies

A story about a 1) unicorn playing 2) chess in a 3) bar, check check check.

I inherited all three of those anthologies from my dad's extensive library when he passed. I already owned the Zelazny collection of the same name, so now I have four copies of the story that I keep around because it's funny as hell.

The story's not bad either.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oh, did your roulette wheel of media threads to poo poo up land on this one again?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Screaming Idiot posted:

maybe she wanted some snus but didn't wanna risk jaw cancer

Death by snus snus?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, it reads like a bad parody of Sandman Slim.

Or Dungeons & Dragons fanfic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The elephant is a pedophile that is grooming her through her AR goggles.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This feels like it belongs here. Do yourself a favor and click through to the thread itself.

https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1088958995677638656

Yes, absolutely read this thread. Ye gods.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Lemonparty depicts the owning class and their ideals.

Also the movie "Society".

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 07:30 on May 19, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Mr. Stirling (above) is called Stephen Michael, he is originally Canadian and now lives in New Mexico, and to the best of my knowledge was raised mildly Anglican.

I think you can blame Harry Turtledove rather than Joseph Smith for his fascination with brokedown North America.

What can we blame for Sterling's repeatedly asserting that he'd happily push a button to kill all Muslims?

(On the old soc.history.what-if Usenet group.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

:yikes:

There’s a group that’s breaking down The Mists of Avalon; never read that series nor gotten into the reviews (das sporking does ridiculous indepth work, with the community founder spending 6+ years breaking down Twilight) but apparently Marion Zimmer-Bradley was a pedophilia apologist who covered up abuse by her husband and just wrote a lot of NOPE that influenced a lot of fantasy work going forward. Every time terrible books get on the subject of super-creepy relationships I wonder how much this series influenced/upheld an already hosed up power structure in fantasy and pagan lit circles.

It's come to light recently that she was a direct abuser and child rapist herself, so yeah it was even worse than what people already knew.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'll take "The Mooner of Romney Marsh" if it's short enough, but I gotta admit "Fanny of Cock Lane" is pretty admirably straightforward.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually had an idea for an RPG campaign set in the Harry Potter universe, but based around street kids in 1970s New York. Basically The Warriors with magic.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to bring in Vinz Clortho High! https://youtu.be/j-2ZxldMO-M

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've got to thank you for this recommendation; this thread has been an incredibly satisfying read (so much so that I've neglected my duties a bit!) and I'm nowhere near finished with it.

The Let's Read for Unintended Consequences sounds grand, but I ended up discovering it was in Archives and I'm dang sure not spending any money on the site (nor am I asking anyone to, either; I am spoiled for choice w/ good reads right now).

I did discover yesterday that there's an in-group term for that genre of fiction that basically exists to congratulate fretting white supremacists and doomsday preppers: SHTF Fiction. And there is a god damned lot of it.

I admit I just kind of assumed that when someone got buttons archives and PMs came along for the ride.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Djeser posted:

Yeah that could have been a perfectly average Piers Anthony book title.

Piers Anthony would definitely prefer Non-Consensual Hex.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

oh is sanderson going to have to step in after another fantasy author dies before finishing their epic

I mean, GRRM might be able to keep stalling until nobody cares enough to bother before he pops his clogs, but as you point out it's worked before to great applause.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Game of Thrones cut out a major character from the books whose actions probably would make the same ending make sense in the books.

I'm curious. I didn't watch the show and gave up on the series a couple books ago. Which character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

uvar posted:

It's not accidental or particularly subtle; the author describes it as "a nod to the late Arthur C. Clarke". I left it out because my description was already cluttered enough, but the AI is named Jason (JCN - two letters on from HAL, after IBM) and recites a nursery rhyme in its last conversation.

Honestly, now I'm thinking about it again, it's basically a slasher-film version of 2001, complete with the girl-versus-killer faceoff at the climax (she's in her late 30s but thinks she's 19 due to the amnesia) and dumbass cliffhanger. Maybe I'm being too harsh just because it's not what I wanted it to be.

I don't think you are.