Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Grouchio posted:

You don't suppose Berg-Katze would try and take over Hajime (and possibly succeed), do you guys?

That's normally how this would work, but... Berg Katze basically represents the evil in humanity (the Director's Cut makes that especially clear, what with Hajime's "you're in everyone!" epiphany), while Hajime is basically his good-in-humanity counterpart. So I'm pretty sure adding them together just gets you one person with a relatively normal balance of good and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

So when is Hajime going to kiss the new girl?

They aren't the only ones who need to kiss :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

They aren't the only ones who need to kiss :3:

I think he's doing pretty alright for himself without her.

Also Jou and OD still have the best Gatchaman form designs. Hell, I wish I were as stylish as they are in their normal looks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I think he's doing pretty alright for himself without her.

Also Jou and OD still have the best Gatchaman form designs. Hell, I wish I were as stylish as they are in their normal looks.

The note is from Joe

Agree on the designs; O.D.'s suit is my favorite, kinda sucks he can't use it without destroying planets and whatnot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

The note is from Joe

Agree on the designs; O.D.'s suit is my favorite, kinda sucks he can't use it without destroying planets and whatnot.

I still think it's cool how that was something shown from the very beginning in the literal OP of the show but its presence in the OP only gained that significance after the reveal.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is Jou Pai Pai's real name cuz holy poo poo his rig is way too awesome.

I still can't believe this season is real. The first episode is just loving full throttle. Not like, action-wise, but in continuing the previous season. Just buy-ins all around the table despite the utter insane implications everything has. Like anon can physically manifest itself and aliens are real and super heroes host talk shows and let's let the embodiment of chaos that was the main villain last season hang around and the prime minister is a main character because holy gently caress it must be so fun creating this show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You do get the impression that this show won't age very well, it's written very much for Obama-era post-social media revolution. Which is going to get more irrelevant over time as many of the question the show raises get answered or rendered pointless.

But for now, it appeals to we TED-watching hipsters.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

You do get the impression that this show won't age very well, it's written very much for Obama-era post-social media revolution. Which is going to get more irrelevant over time as many of the question the show raises get answered or rendered pointless.

I feel like that's something the writers have to know. You can't really make a show about the current era of social media without it getting outdated eventually. Still, I think this will be interesting to look back on years in the future.

Also the alien girl is the sweetest thing alive I want to hug her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd prefer it if the CROWDS all looked the same whether they were helping out or being controlled by VAPE. Red CROWDS look cool and all, but it'd be a more effective scare tactic on VAPE's part if you had blue CROWDS swoop in and mess up an area and then blue CROWDS swoop in and clean it up. Then you could get tension later on whether the CROWD nearby is a good one or a bad one. Then again, this could just be a smokescreen so when VAPE pulls off something really evil with blue CROWDS they can blame other people instead of themselves, which could be the last straw to get people to turn against CROWDS entirely. As usual, I'm probably overthinking things though.

I think it's pretty obvious well get a big throw down with Red vs. Blue CROWDS at some point though, and the color difference will make that fight a lot prettier and easier to follow.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'd prefer it if the CROWDS all looked the same whether they were helping out or being controlled by VAPE. Red CROWDS look cool and all, but it'd be a more effective scare tactic on VAPE's part if you had blue CROWDS swoop in and mess up an area and then blue CROWDS swoop in and clean it up. Then you could get tension later on whether the CROWD nearby is a good one or a bad one. Then again, this could just be a smokescreen so when VAPE pulls off something really evil with blue CROWDS they can blame other people instead of themselves, which could be the last straw to get people to turn against CROWDS entirely. As usual, I'm probably overthinking things though.

I think it's pretty obvious well get a big throw down with Red vs. Blue CROWDS at some point though, and the color difference will make that fight a lot prettier and easier to follow.

If the last episodes of the first season are anything to go by people could already tell the difference between the good ones and the neo 100 or whatever they were called so this is more for visual clarity than anything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Phobophilia posted:

These are problems the world will be grappling with for like, the rest of the century most likely

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah lol, i cant really envision a point where we aren't considering the influence of social media on our day to day lives

like it might get more ingrained in our culture as the number of people who were born before social media was a thing dwindles, but it'll still be a thing. heck, we as a society are still considering the impact of loving movies and television on our lives. it took like 300 years for novels to get sorted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'drat, a huge technological and social leap that has completely changed the way we interact with each other as human beings? eh we'll have that on lock in like, five years.'

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

am i the only one who finds it funny that the bad guys are called vape

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, once oil production peaks and all the best farmland has been flooded by the ocean or desertified by the changing climate, then all our concerns about the role of social media on our lives will all be rendered irrelevant.

So there :p

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

NowonSA posted:

The Red Crowds and VAPE are a terrorist group. Terrorist groups need a public image, to crystallize their identity in the public eye. I assume there's all sorts of low level Crowds crime happening, but making a group prominently do stuff under this organized Red Crowd persona plausibly would scare people a lot more than if it just appeared to be random attacks.

It also lets them control what they take credit for.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 5, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Davincie posted:

I thought it was BAPE lol

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so we actually have a bunch of guys doing sandy hooks and running false flags to take away Crowds rights.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

no

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was thinking that Crowds' concept of social media could become outdated, not because it is no longer relevant, but because the way we interact with social media can drastically change.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think Gatchaman Crowds is going to be good, forever. It's not like Lain ever stopped being awesome.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I encourage someone to challenge Namtab.

e: challenged!

Bring it!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think Gatchaman Crowds is going to be good, forever. It's not like Lain ever stopped being awesome.
I don't think anyone's arguing that it'll be bad, just that its concepts may be outdated at some point.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

so we actually have a bunch of guys doing sandy hooks and running false flags to take away Crowds rights.

Yeah, I think it's an interesting hook because the real world comparison would be someone trying to organize shooting incidents to get rid of guns, or organizing hacking attacks to get rid of Facebook. It seems like it shouldn't work at all, but Vape seems to be doing a good job showing how giving everyone access to a giant blobby avatar to pilot as they wish isn't a good idea, and like most good villains they have a point.

The best implementation of a "Do good things for society and be rewarded" social media program would track it as you do those things yourself, but that's never been nailed down because it too easily comes across as bragging and it relies on people getting off their butts. Tracking fitness and health is becoming a big thing now though, so that's really just one step removed. I think someone will figure out a way to really nail a "Good deeds" social media experience at some point though, it's definitely a moneymaker if you can figure it out. I can't imagine a social platform that would have an easier time getting sponsor participation. "Participate in a Flash mob to clean up the local park for a $5 coupon at X business" for example. It'd basically come down to gameifying good actions by creating various real life quests and a constant experience bar that unlocks occasional set rewards at certain levels and special events for various holidays or big events (Olympics, World Cup, etc.) I could see the CROWDS program converting to doing good things in person at the end, maybe involving a tech variation of the new alien's power?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Weren't they basically doing that in the season 1 finale, even assigning point values for taking down the abusive CROWDS?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Weren't they basically doing that in the season 1 finale, even assigning point values for taking down the abusive CROWDS?

Yeah, and that's the system they have now at the start of S2 (as seen with the father/daughter team cleaning up graffiti), but it's done through taking over a CROWDS, which VAPE is also using to stage terrorist attacks. I'm thinking the big change through this season will be people doing stuff like cleaning up graffiti on their own without using a CROWDS, since CROWDS will end up being voted into heavy regulation or outright forbidden. It's a bit more utopian that way with social media leading to a better community while also increasing face-to-face interaction, but it's also a loss since CROWDS can do things humans can't and with less risk to human life, like swift rescue operations in dangerous conditions.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Really excited for the second season! I totally lost track of when this was supposed to pop up and so was pleasantly suprised seeing it on CR.

New alien is okay, if a little undefined for me at the moment. She seems to mimick a lot of behaviour. She was doing something akin to Hajime's scissor fingers earlier, and then started doing the stretching/workout that Tsubasa and her great grandad were doing.

Tsubasa is interesting, but so far her only defining traits are friendliness and mindful of children, making her a odd mixture of Pai Pai and Hajime. Shes more hotheaded then Hajime obviously, and I certainly see that getting her in trouble soon. Threatening to beat up a reporter, even a rear end in a top hat one, isn't likely to be spun well on the news

My hopes for Berg-Katze is that hes gonna provide a contrasting but valid point of view to Hajime's own idealism. Some people complained during the first Season that Hajime is a bit of a Mary-Sue, and hopefully having a world-destroying rear end in a top hat inside her will help to tone that down a tad

If I had to guess, a big theme for this season is gonna be drifting apart of the GATCHAMAN, with the comments how OD is really busy with his show, Jou is the mayor's secretary, Suguru is being a player, etc. They're all still working together, but I don't think they're as close friends as they were mid/end of S1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
drat this episode was sick. Lol @ the following:

- OD's ridiculous talk show set
- new girl being a fireworker's apprentice with a short fuse :grin:
- the blonde guy who's name I forget drowning in it
- Hajime's breasts screaming at her
- the small alien who makes people have emojis float over their head
- the middle aged guy with a family who was the only Utsusu fan in the crowd when the Gatchaman first showed up :yikes:
- The bad guys are called freaking VAPE

I also liked all of the watercolor backgrounds for tsubasa's home, it's a neat effect

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i guess i'm the only one that didn't like eps 0 and 1 cause they felt like really bad fanfiction

"oh poo poo an alien is coming out and hajime just showed up! lets take photos with hajime i'm like a huge fan"

*5 minutes pass*

hajime: "ok time to stop shaking hands with my adoring public and deal with the possibly hostile alien!!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you are the only one whose brain misfired massively

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like they could've been edited into one episode but that's about it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's cool how much this season's first episode is basically a flipped reflection of the first season's. The story beats are similar but the response of the gatchamen is the opposite of what it was the first time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

dogsicle posted:

i feel like they could've been edited into one episode but that's about it

Really you probably don't need to watch 0 and the first episode would have been fine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Condiv posted:

i guess i'm the only one that didn't like eps 0 and 1 cause they felt like really bad fanfiction

"oh poo poo an alien is coming out and hajime just showed up! lets take photos with hajime i'm like a huge fan"

*5 minutes pass*

hajime: "ok time to stop shaking hands with my adoring public and deal with the possibly hostile alien!!"

I'm also a big fan of Hajime, greetings

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Really you probably don't need to watch 0 and the first episode would have been fine

Counterpoint - then you miss kicking off the show with that sweet (if kind of thematically troubling) action sequence. Also, Hajime roundhouse-kicking her alien 4channer boyfriend who lives in her tits.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
did hajime's boobs get bigger to accommodate for katze?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Triangle posted:

Gotta admit, that's one hell of an innovation in padding.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Paper Triangle posted:

Her knockers have always been humongous but I haven't run the numbers yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i feel like i'm seeing a 10-15% increase in volume

• Locked thread