Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rui's suit is pretty rad as it exemplifies his strengths: because he is the internet, he can be everywhere at once.

And it's a very action packed opening, but the show is still playing to some of its original themes: understanding, dialogue, and an unyielding hope in the best of human nature. Suzuki's not a mindless thug, as a medical student, he should exemplify the most enlightened of modern society. And so the conflict is that he has a different viewpoint of Crowds than Hajime and Rui, he's not getting defeated by being punched out until he stops moving. While his defeat should be different from what happened to the neo-hundred leader of S1, it should occur along similar lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They've just thrown out a chekov's gun, this season might end in the regulation of Crowds.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You do get the impression that this show won't age very well, it's written very much for Obama-era post-social media revolution. Which is going to get more irrelevant over time as many of the question the show raises get answered or rendered pointless.

But for now, it appeals to we TED-watching hipsters.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, once oil production peaks and all the best farmland has been flooded by the ocean or desertified by the changing climate, then all our concerns about the role of social media on our lives will all be rendered irrelevant.

So there :p

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so we actually have a bunch of guys doing sandy hooks and running false flags to take away Crowds rights.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
He's too conventional a character archetype for this weird-rear end show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
While I've always liked Sugane, I can see why some people don't. But he acts as a good, straight-laced foil for Hajime, and an idealistic foil for Jou. And through that, he has a traditional character arc where he gets less straight-laced and uptight about his role as a superhero, and more willing to play into the new world order where superheroes no longer need to separate themselves from the society.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm not familiar with the original Gatchaman, but Crowds is a response to superhero stories in general. It is critical of the secrecy and lack of accountability of superheroes, as well as their assumptions that they innately know better than everyone else.

On that note, I have a suspicion that Hajime is going to get a rude awakening at some point. S1 spent alot of time focusing on Hajime, and she always took care to explain and articulate her madcap logic. This season, they're not explaining it in as much detail. Instead, we have that odd gray unchanging bubble over Hajime's head, and Tsubasa making frequent glances at Hajime's face, trying to read her expression. But she's not getting an answer. Tsubasa trusts in Hajime's decisions, she wants to trust in Hajime's decisions, but Hajime might just be over her head.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kaneko's work tends to be a bit more minimalist, and all the different elements in his designs blend together elegantly. All the patterns and pieces have a similar colour palette and geometric shape. Lots of smooth lines and curves and gradients and indents.

Crowds designs is alot more neon garish, and abuses too many ridges to fill in the gaps. But against all odds they always come together into a coherent whole.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

hahaha

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Beef Chief posted:

It's really telling that it's been an entire season with this character and I still have no idea what she's thinking.

If I could describe recent Hajime, she's alot more cautious and uneasy about the events taking place. She keeps her cards close, watching the world as filtered through her bizarre thought processes, watching how the wind blows.

The thing that strikes me the most about this season is how there is no clear villain. Berg-Katze was clearly a villain, and he was neutralised through the power of Hajime, the Gatchaman, and the power of human thought. This season, everything is more ambiguous. Hajime cannot take the same decisive actions in S2 as she did in S1.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't think you're actually allowed to bribe people for votes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't on principle mind Hajime being the one to fix it in the end, as it means she must hosed up at some point earlier in order to have allowed world peace to be threatened.

Like Hajime, I'm hanging back, watching and waiting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Of course it would fall apart as soon as a competent bad faith actor so much as looks at CROWDS. And there are no lack of such in the world.

But that's not really the point. Gatchaman Crowds is set not just in Japan, but in a single region in Japan. Like a superhero story, the city is an allegory for the entire world, and that is why every single space alien is residing or crash-landing in the vicinity. The show wraps itself in a deliberate layer of artifice and asks for no more than an acknowledgement of its sleigh of hand.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

the Tsuritama cameo was cute

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Though I should actually finish it one day. Though what's the link between the two works?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sugayama is a fascinating character. As a foil to Gel, he has to be weak and petty, yet at the same time, this is a career politician who has never lost his core idealism.

Perhaps Sugayama is a personification of the failed promises and ideals of the Japanese political system. He is not a bad person, he has just failed to capture the imagination of the public and ends up being swept aside by pure populism. This story is more relevant to Japan's all-consuming LDP bloc, and cannot be told in more partisan countries.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Condiv posted:

i like the part where the former prime minister is drinking his problems away after people he thought were friends unseated him, and they come to him for advice

lol

Naw, the Gatchamen aren't a monolithic bloc. Rui and Hajime are firmly on his side, while Jou and Tsubasa were against him. Sugane might have a huge mancrush on Jou, but he's somewhat more neutral. OD was also somewhat neutral.

Paipai and Utsutsu made up their own bloc and hosed around doing their own poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

.jpg posted:

Gatchaaaa!

-maaaaaan!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Conot posted:

For reference, the yearly wage of the non-PM Diet Members was $161k. Outrageous compared to the average earner, but not really enough to cover all these new services, I would think.

It sounds high, but you need these kinds of salaries to lure in talented people away from the private sector. And if you pay them too little on the books (like Chinese officials), you're asking for bribery and corruption. And once you have a culture of corruption, politics becomes a way purely for officials to squeeze money out of the public. Singapore is notorious for paying government officials a hefty salary, and coming down like a sack of bricks on corruption.

Of course, once everything is centralised in an omnipotent magical alien (or an AI), the point becomes moot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rui-chan~! :cry:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think it's a very japanese metaphor to associate the mood of the crowd with wind.

The Kuus are the Id to the CROWDS superego.

Conot posted:

Jesus Christ, are people really advocating what amounts to murder because "he played loud music at night"? I know people can be vindictive and assholes, but that still seems a little... cold?

Its especially mind bending that they couldn't see anything wrong with people backing down about minor poo poo like social get togethers because they are effectively being threatened with murder.

Also, Jou nooooooooo And Sugane, stop slipping back into your everyman role, we already have like, 3 of those this season.

Gatchaman Crowds/Insight is an innately absurd show, because it is designed to work at an allegorical level. Go into literalism and it falls apart much faster than any other superhero show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, Psycho Pass does its world-building alongside a police procedural show, while here, the social commentary is front and centre.

And I don't think Kuu's can be autonomously detached from the caster like a CROWDS, they are anchored to the person manifesting it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah but more in the "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

I made a post about the Peace Preservation Law all the way back in EP2 and how some of the things match what was happening in the show like the increase in voting rights and how there was a literal thought police but I was sure that it wasn't going to draw that many parallels because ultimately Crowds is a show about personal growth and how changing yourself can change society.

Also Lotus Juice said that the lyrics for Conceited Fool will match what is supposed to be happening on screen so this is legitimately the first time I dont know where the show is going to veer into given how things looked about to be resolved last episode. I mean Gel seemed to have learned not to give a gently caress about what people think and do what he wants and the song sort of shows that but it sounds way too angry to how he is right now

Yeah, this is just a single cour, so you can touch on historical parallels in broad strokes, and details will naturally be lacking. But the core question is about the role of democracy in modern liberal society. And the answer the writer seems to be going for is: good, needs appropriate checks and balances, and thoughtful dialogue between members of society.

On the note of checks and balances, I'm also betting on X becoming another sort-of villain S3, where the integrity is questioned.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Left posted:

This is basically what I was thinking with regards to a potential season 3 "villain." Perhaps antagonist is a better word for it, but we got a glimpse of X's motivation being more than just support, in that it's all-in on Rui's desire to update the world. If Rui gives up on it, choosing instead to let it happen more naturally (which I think is the crux of his development?) there's no guarantee that X won't decide that it's doing Rui a favor by taking over the spearheading that initiative for him or what have you. Good intentions spawning negative consequences kind of thing.

All I know is, this show never fails to surprise. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would watch a show where the Ironman suit fighting is the least exciting part of an episode.

Most of the fights were pretty boring, but the recent one, where the G-men would bust through walls and smash everything in their path to "Gel", were really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
God drat, this was a good episode. There are no easy answers, only difficult choices. If there is a flaw with this episode, they laid on Hajime's sacrifice way too thickly, but they followed through with the threat of the Atmosphere changing towards her. And they only save her by appealing for time and patient decision making.

In summary, I like Insight more than Crowds. Which is impressive, this show tackles much more ambiguous and ambitious concepts than S1, and it admirably clears those hurdles.

Redmark posted:

Great season. Only thing I disliked was Rizumu being utterly useless :argh:

Rizumu lost, and he knows he lost, and as a self-described being of pure Superego and Rational Judgement, he will not contest this victory. Not until another scenario stresses society.

• Locked thread