Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Well, considering:

1) the idea of "a good atmosphere" comes up right after the bubbles are mentioned,
2) Katze's explanation of Hajime's bubble not changing is "of course, you're you,"
3) the old man is the other gray bubble we've seen,
4) the alien says she wants everyone to be united,
and 5) this is a show about social media and the internet,

...I think the bubbles are probably less about individual mood and more about how that person's mood is being influenced by their environment. Hajime is Hajime and great-grandfather is too old for this poo poo, so neither of them gets swept along by other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Grouchio posted:

You don't suppose Berg-Katze would try and take over Hajime (and possibly succeed), do you guys?

That's normally how this would work, but... Berg Katze basically represents the evil in humanity (the Director's Cut makes that especially clear, what with Hajime's "you're in everyone!" epiphany), while Hajime is basically his good-in-humanity counterpart. So I'm pretty sure adding them together just gets you one person with a relatively normal balance of good and evil.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Conot posted:

I don't really get why people are saying OD is flaming?

Jou clearly lit a cigarette with his flamin' rear end manly spirit, and is thus the most flaming in the whole cast.

OD is so fabulous that just being near his suit reduces you to your constituent atoms.

It's very difficult to top that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Man, Gel just gets more ominous by the moment. "The planets Gel visits no longer have conflict!" :stonklol: Back away slowly, guys.

(And her "poll the crowd to form an opinion" thing doesn't really seem to gel with the show's perspective on social media--"Galax is powerful, not good"--but seriously Pai-Pai listen to the words coming out of your mouth)

chumbler posted:

Wait, so the ostensible villain this time has the motivation of "People aren't ready for the Crowds and we'll prove it to you by being dicks with them, something we presumably have full control over"?

Though I suspect the real big problem will be Katze taking over Hajime and Tsubasa will fix it by kissing her.

The really interesting part is that Katze was going around going "heeeeeeey want ultimate power!?" with multiple people and at least one guy said "Sure! Hahahaha okay no I was lying, gently caress off, you're obviously evil and this is obviously a trap." Holy poo poo, this guy is armed with common sense!

Not really sure what the endgame is here, though. Yes, you've proven human beings can be dickbags, that's evident pretty much everywhere else. Do you really think there's going to be no consequence to giving a group of people power and free reign to be jerks and then taking it away? And that's assuming nothing happens to his control of the power--not really a safe assumption, as Rui learned last season. Do not call up that which you cannot put down.

I mean, hypocrisy is par for the course with this kind of person, but it takes a special kind of lacking self-awareness to make a plan with the exact same failure mode as the people you're protesting.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I'm not familiar with the original Gatchaman, but Crowds is a response to superhero stories in general. It is critical of the secrecy and lack of accountability of superheroes, as well as their assumptions that they innately know better than everyone else.

On that note, I have a suspicion that Hajime is going to get a rude awakening at some point. S1 spent alot of time focusing on Hajime, and she always took care to explain and articulate her madcap logic. This season, they're not explaining it in as much detail. Instead, we have that odd gray unchanging bubble over Hajime's head, and Tsubasa making frequent glances at Hajime's face, trying to read her expression. But she's not getting an answer. Tsubasa trusts in Hajime's decisions, she wants to trust in Hajime's decisions, but Hajime might just be over her head.

hahahahaha what?

No, seriously, I think you're misremembering the first season. Hajime spent like six episodes as a mysterious magical being who always seemed to know what to do, with only momentary comments to explain any of what she's thinking ("Galax is great, but Galax isn't good"). This is why Sugane spends so much time initially exasperated with her, because she doesn't seem to make any sense. She's smart enough to skip steps and we're never allowed into her head, so she's a cipher.

One of Sugane's moments of character development comes after she first talks to Rui, when he first thinks to actually ask why Hajime did something (revealing the existence of Gatchamen to the public, I think it was?). She explains, Sugane says "you thought about it that deeply?" and her response is something along the lines of, "Of course. I wouldn't just do things without thinking about it first." And Sugane is surprised, because Hajime is really bad at explaining why she does things. She's a genius with immense perception and terrible communication, and the first season character dynamics are about the other Gatchamen coming to understand and trust her.

Hajime's behavior so far is incredibly typical Hajime. If anything, she's mellowed out and become a little more transparent now that the writers no longer see a reason to keep her mysterious.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Katze should start a band and call it Hajime's Rude Boobs.

e- or a stand up routine with Gelsadra.

actually I just marathoned everything so far after not actually having the time to watch any shows till now.

If Berg was schadenfreude, Hajime mudita and Rui hope then Rizumin is cynicism which makes him a direct foil to Rui. Season 1 played with apparent foils till it became obvious who contrasted who later in the series.

Its why its harder to make Rizumin do a heel-face turn because his core principals seem to be absolute mistrust in humanity. This isn't like the other characters, or Rui himself in the first season, where idealism is tempered by realism. Rizumin seems to be straight out cynical about the human race. I don't see that changing all that fast without a whole lot more happening, certainly not with Rui's display. But maybe Rui isn't directly appealing to him in this case, but to everyone else.

Season 1 already showed us what you do with irreconcilable conceptual extremes! Clearly the season will end with Rui aborbing Rizumu's Note. The resulting Crowds will be purple.

(man Rui makes pronouns complicated)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Man, seeing people try to confront Hajime is always interesting, because she really doesn't care about actually making a case, so you're left trying to piece together what she's actually thinks. It seems that as she sees it, Rui wasn't in danger of dying (in danger of being in a great deal of pain, certainly, but not dying), because Rizumu was making a point. If Rui wasn't in danger of dying and didn't want to be saved from pain, then "protecting Rui" accomplished nothing... Hence her reply of, "Is there really nothing more important than protecting people?" If there's nothing to save, then what exactly are you "protecting"?

When it comes down to it, Tsubasa basically stormed in there because seeing Rui in pain and not doing anything made her feel bad, which is basically the least heroic motivation possible. In the process, she interrupted an attempt to make a counterpoint about Crowds and to redeem someone who could help "update the world"... So she basically just stomped all over Rui's dream for the sake of her own self-image.

That is one hell of a thing to do with a scene involving a "villain" literally stabbing one of the heroes in the soul with a knife. Gatchaman Crowds is the best.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Momomo posted:

I don't know if I can really agree with this since Rui's soul was literally getting stabbed over and over. It's not really being naive or selfish to think someone is going to die from that.

Yeah, I don't know if I agree with it entirely, but part of the point is that it's up for argument, and Tsubasa doesn't even recognize that; her problem is that she's confusing ends and means. She's focused on saving people, not that people are saved. If you're focused on what you want instead of what other people want, then you can't really claim the mantle of "hero."

Mr. Fowl posted:

I remember hearing once that Rui was based partly on him? Not sure if that's true though.

Tsubasa was real on point this episode. It's easy to break down humanity into "dangerously stupid" and "merely stupid" when you start with the assumption that you're at the favorable end of the bell curve.

But saying "that's so arrogant" and sticking to idealism is equally easy--the thing about that sort of idealism is that it can't fail, you can just always No True Scotsman any failures. "Sure, that was a failure, but he wasn't really ideal because--"

If you blindly accept either answer, then you're being equally lazy. Both sides of the argument are the exact same kind of condescending... But of course, saying "both sides are wrong" and therefore refusing to pick a side doesn't accomplish anything either.

I think you can sum up this season so far as, "But it isn't that simple."

"Giving everyone the power of Crowds will democraticize the world and enable personal responsibility! ...but it isn't that simple."
"Heroes can save the day! ...but it isn't that simple."
"Rui has the right to face the leader of the red Crowds, to prove the ideal of 'updating the world'... but it isn't that simple."
"We can defeat Vape if we defeat the leader! ...but it isn't that simple."
"We can reach world peace by uniting all of our hearts! ...but it isn't that simple."

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I like how the scene with Tsubasa's grandfather played out exactly how it would in a normal show, because the older generation doesn't understand young people! They don't know what it's like to fight for peace!

...and then once Tsubasa's done yelling about how he doesn't understand what it's like to fight in the real world, there's a momentary shot of her grandfather looking at the funeral shrine for his brother the soldier.

That's a pretty beautiful response to such a typical scene.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hajime's been making space inside of her in case she needs to pull out the final solution.

Nah, Hajime and Berg-Kazte were thematic opposing forces, but she isn't Gelsadra's opposite, Vape Dude is.

I'm pretty sure turning him into the vessel for King Ape would be the most ironic of ironic hells. He'd go insane within the week.

(Admittedly, this is probably true of most people regardless of circumstances, even Hajime was going OH GOD BAD IDEA for a while there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Clearly this episode explains why Berg-Katze and Gelsadra share a diamond motif: because as a troll and general purveyor of misery, Berg-Katze decided to steal the visual motif of the single scariest motherfucker he knew of, kind of like all of the animals that mimic poisonous variants of their species.

That scene was really good, with the way everyone immediately stops and freaks out. I kind of expected OD to just immediately transform and try to kill Gelsadra out of general principle. "Berg-Katze is afraid of this guy? EVERYONE OUT OF THE UNIVERSE"

• Locked thread