Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Really excited for the second season! I totally lost track of when this was supposed to pop up and so was pleasantly suprised seeing it on CR.

New alien is okay, if a little undefined for me at the moment. She seems to mimick a lot of behaviour. She was doing something akin to Hajime's scissor fingers earlier, and then started doing the stretching/workout that Tsubasa and her great grandad were doing.

Tsubasa is interesting, but so far her only defining traits are friendliness and mindful of children, making her a odd mixture of Pai Pai and Hajime. Shes more hotheaded then Hajime obviously, and I certainly see that getting her in trouble soon. Threatening to beat up a reporter, even a rear end in a top hat one, isn't likely to be spun well on the news

My hopes for Berg-Katze is that hes gonna provide a contrasting but valid point of view to Hajime's own idealism. Some people complained during the first Season that Hajime is a bit of a Mary-Sue, and hopefully having a world-destroying rear end in a top hat inside her will help to tone that down a tad

If I had to guess, a big theme for this season is gonna be drifting apart of the GATCHAMAN, with the comments how OD is really busy with his show, Jou is the mayor's secretary, Suguru is being a player, etc. They're all still working together, but I don't think they're as close friends as they were mid/end of S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I don't really get why people are saying OD is flaming?

Jou clearly lit a cigarette with his flamin' rear end manly spirit, and is thus the most flaming in the whole cast.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

While the VAPE masks are obviously a call back to the 100/Neo 100, I feel like the show is kinda treating the police like idiots when we know that every person who Hajime zaps/cubefies is falling unconcious, and as we saw a number of them are in public places.

"Hmmm, 18 reports of people wearing weird masks falling unconcious at the same time as a VAPE/CROWDS attack? Nah, I'm sure its nothing."

I wonder what the big deal is with Tsubasa not being able to transform unless shes angry. No one seems to have really gone "oh, yeah, that happens to everyone", and our only other frame of reference is Hajime from season 1, who figured it out as soon as she knew the activation phrase.

I also wonder why the only power that Katze can give is CROWDS. He seems to be pulling the soul out of a person a la JJ, but JJ's gatcha have powers from infinite range katana slashes up to atomization of all nearby matter(assuming he Gatcha'd OD, which seems likely).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I have to say, the show is already hammering me with background sadness

Gramps is still going through the same old routine, even though Tsubasa is going. I suspect hes gonna die before the end of this season

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I dunno, MESS was a vehicle for displaying the Gatchaman's lovely ideology and displaying Hajime's personality (which is the same reason why she implicitly trusts Gel, its the exact same behaviour as she showed with MESS.)

And the VAPE dude has too much personality to just be poofed out of being a issue like MESS was. Doesn't mean its not a feint, but if it is then its much more of a longcon then this show did before.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Momomo posted:

I don't know if I can really agree with this since Rui's soul was literally getting stabbed over and over. It's not really being naive or selfish to think someone is going to die from that.

Regardless of that, Rui had made it clear she didn't want anyone interfering. At that point Tsubasa was saying that her self-image of heroes was more important then Rui's desire to update the world, because Tsubasa wouldn't be able to deal with not saving someone who was right in front of her.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, but its pretty clear that Tsubasa was fighting her own personal demons when she did so, not out of pure-hearted goodness for Rui.

e: Effectively, you get into a Whose Life Is It Anyway? conundrum. Rui was ready to die for her ideals, and whether you think thats idiotic or heroic, the fact is it was Rui's choice to make. Tsubasa took that choice away.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 27, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

chumbler posted:

I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think Rui identifies as female.

More of a slip on my part then anything.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

For a show that usually does a good job of discussing differing view points, and both criticizing and praising those view points, I feel like Tsubasa/Gel's point was unfairly given a free pass.

There are a number of ways that populism is bad and that self-reliance is better then hero worship, but everyone just kind of keeps quiet, including Jou who no more then 5 minutes later clarifies that he hates going with the flow.

Not to say it was a bad episode, but I kinda wish atleast one of the Gatchamans had piped up with "So will you kill people if its what everyone wants?" or some equivelant point.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

gel is going to be the main antagonist of the season, or something close. is that not obvious

An antagonist, sure, but Gel doesn't strike me as the Berg-Katzeian big bad. Gel's intentions, while inarguably bad and wrong, are atleast wellintentioned, it would be a pretty serious 180 for Gel to start fighting the Gatcha, or for Tsubasa to take his/her side over the other Gatcha's in such a situation. I think this season is gonna be much more politically driven, and so instead of getting a bunch of cool action scenes we'll get a bunch of cool politcking scenes.

Normally I would worry about this being dull but holy crap Gatchaman does it well.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I wonder how Gel is gonna "prohibit" CROWDS use, considering its monitored by X who is under Rui's control. The only true way would be to take away Rui's NOTE... which is also his soul.

For that matter, is there anyway to identify x CROWD is y, other then cube it and then look for the unconcious person?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Tell Rui to switch off X and stop giving CROWDS to people? He'd hate it, but he's got enough integrity that he wouldn't refuse.

Stop giving out CROWDS, I could see him doing out of integrity, but turn off X? No chance. Bear in mind you're not just talking about a computer system that handles GALAX, but Rui's only real friend till he hooked up with the GATCHA. His co-conspirator in his ideological pursuits.

Removing X from Rui's life would be akin to ripping out his heart, IMO.

(Plus, X is a (from what we've seen) fully-sentient AI, I doubt trying to pull the plug on him would go well)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

For reference, the yearly wage of the non-PM Diet Members was $161k. Outrageous compared to the average earner, but not really enough to cover all these new services, I would think.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The real tragedy of this episode is that Utsutsu is back to saying I'm gloomy while looking gloomy.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I don't think he'll kick a puppy, but I do think he'll become ideologically opposed to the Gatchas. Its possible that these new Gelulu monsters will divide opinion even more, and thus lead to the Gatcha being blamed when they were the most open opposition to Gel.

Or they'll try to arrest/contain Gelsadra, since he is under observation for the protection of the earth.

In some way, I think hes gonna end up fighting the Gatcha, earlier I would have said with Tsubasa on his side, but shes just given away her note, so who knows?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

gel is getting fat for some reason, I hope this isn't weird mpreg stuff

On the bright side at least this didn't happen with Gel's first form.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

a kitten posted:

i'm gloomy

Couldn't resist, its too good.

I do like the theory that those face monsters are gonna be the annoying helpful kind of things, though I wonder how Gel will react if majority opinion swings away from him.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I kinda like it with the coloured background, makes the animation more visible then it would be on a transparent background.

But eh, either way, only out 5 bux

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

a kitten posted:

he also posted the whole bunch slightly smaller (not sure if they're within avatar limits or not) with a few tweeks here and there and Hajime completely redone

Conspicuously missing: Paiman. This is an outrage!

They are the right size, though I still prefer my version, since it has less dead space. Still nice of the artist to make avatar sized!

e: The dead space is especially notable on the smaller characters like Utsutsu and Gelsadra. On a tall person like OD its much less noticeable.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Seeing all three of those in a row makes me wonder if the "streak" of gold blonde in the middle of the pinkish blonde is a genuine thing going on with the hair or just a stylistic/color choice on the studio's part.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

i'm gloomy

It is a shame, but hey, it gives us another week to speculate wildly

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

God, X's upset voice still makes me sad. I thought that wound had closed after the first season, but nope.

I imagine Jou is going to flip the everloving gently caress out next episode, considering what just happened. I could certainly do with some more Phoenix action scenes.

Also: (possible spoilers from looking at OST art) Hajime is holding two NOTEs in the art, her own one and a brown one. Its not Tsubasas, so whose is it? I can't remember what colour Rizumu's is.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 31, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

NowonSA posted:

You all thought I was being sarcastic, but I was being serious. drat you, limitations of internet communication :argh:!

Also, I can't believe no one made the connection that Kuus look like barber poles, or if someone did I missed it. They're trimming the population until everyone is one just like barbers trim hairs.

I wonder if they have a concept of discretion, or they're gonna start eating people in plain view. They don't seem bothered by Jou seeing that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Jesus Christ, are people really advocating what amounts to murder because "he played loud music at night"? I know people can be vindictive and assholes, but that still seems a little... cold?

Its especially mind bending that they couldn't see anything wrong with people backing down about minor poo poo like social get togethers because they are effectively being threatened with murder.

Also, Jou nooooooooo And Sugane, stop slipping back into your everyman role, we already have like, 3 of those this season.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

What Rui doesn't know is that he only just averted X from becoming Skynet and forcibly updating the world.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Srice posted:

Considering that Berg-Katze and Gelsadra were names of villains in the first two Gatchaman series, and there were 3 different tv series, I bet that they definitely want to do a third and final season.

I wonder how well Gatchaman is doing. It obviously did well enough for a second season, but idea-driven as opposed to fanservice or action driven titles generally perform poorly in sales. I guess maybe the like, 2 action scenes per season are enough for some?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Goddamit Katze stop breaking the fourth wall.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Personally I like Utsutsu's (i know, big shock with my avatar). Its not the visually most engaging but its powers + life/death aesthetic appeals to me.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Jeez, for Gatchaman, that scene with Hajime progressively bleeding more and more, her lopped off arm being represented by a arm of pure blood is pretty bloodthirsty, but I guess that was to point, to drive home exactly how painful and scary it must be.

Heres hoping for Season 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean, he is a full-on sentient AI with access to a lot of personal info of people using GALAX. The privacy concerns aren't really explored because hes controlled by a "good guy" and its not the focus of the show's message, but they're still some what there.

• Locked thread